The NGE Fan-Geeks Commentary Project

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Siendra [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Siendra [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:41 pm

Are you going to be including the scenes cut from the original episodes? Things like Asuka's "instrumentality"(It isn't really, but it's handle in the same way.) scene from episode 22?

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 18:07 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:41 pm

...since when was that cut from the original episode?

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 18:30 GMT

Siendra [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

I meant the extended version. The whole thing wasn't included in the episode.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 21:42 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:41 pm

Siendra wrote:I meant the extended version. The whole thing wasn't included in the episode.

When we get to that point, we will be doing the Directors Cut episodes (#21'-24'); we'll probably only refer to the original versions to contrast and compare what has been added to the DC versions.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 21:47 GMT

Siendra [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Ah. Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a long time now.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 21:48 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:41 pm

Yes, we are using what's from Renewal, and most of the NPCs("extended versions" of 21'-24') had what was in the original director's cut, but in Renewal, a few things in 23' where taken away from the director's cuts,; the sphere(core) shape camera when Rei was with Aermiesal(the other Rei), and the images that flshed during the tank of Reis scene.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 21:51 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The Renewal versions will be treated as the "default". Alterations from the video release #21'~#24' will be covered on that page that I've already started (see the table of contents). The ways in which #21~#24 were modified for video release are so extensive they will be given their own extensive treatment -- probably a side-by-side comparison in a set of supplemental pages, with the differences being commented on HERE rather than at the main commentary pages for the episodes. If that makes any kind of sense.

But that's a HELLUVA long way off.

Originally posted on: 31-Mar-2005, 22:45 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

More late-night insanity. (I am not doing well...) OP has been revised further and split into two pages. All images are now Renewal-rific. Yay.

And enter new conspiracy theories. Seele = Essenes. An ancient cult of Kabbalistic Jews secretly run the world. Even the Holocaust was part of their Scenario.

Does this mean that Yui is Jewish? So did she get poor Shinji circ--

I need to get some sleep.

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 09:13 GMT

Jinpun [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jinpun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:42 pm

^lol, so sleep for the weary I suppose Reichu... I'm battling my insomnia right now as well...

I don't know if its just me, but a lot of the thumbnails in part "A" of the OP, as well as a few in "B" aren't showing up...perhaps someone can confirm this?

And can I ask where the Essenes came from? A text maybe? Thanks a lot...

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 09:20 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:42 pm

I'm fixing them as I... type.

What do you mean, where did they come from? If I wanted to be a wise-@$$, I'd say "the Middle East", but I'm not sure what kind of answer you're looking for. Image

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 09:22 GMT

Jinpun [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

lol, I mean where are you getting the idea the SEELE = Essenes.

As well as where you stumbled across the organization known as Essenes...online, in a book, etc....

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 09:27 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Read C-044. Image

Ah, thumbnails should all work now.. :collapses:

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 09:34 GMT

Jinpun [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Wow... *smacks forehead* I don't know if its lack of sleep or what but I don't remember that being in there when we first made the commentary... Either way, excuse my meaningless intrusion *goes back to the safe blanket of lurking*.

Oh and the thumbnails work now Image, nice work.

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 09:40 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:42 pm

Reich wrote:And enter new conspiracy theories. Seele = Essenes. An ancient cult of Kabbalistic Jews secretly run the world.

Enter the Priory of Sion, the Merovingian/Hapsburg connection and the Sang Real... Or perhaps we are once again reading too much into the kewl qabalistic imagery. It would make the "Wandering Jew" (even if that is a role rather than an individual) interpretation more likely.

Reichu wrote:Does this mean that Yui is Jewish? So did she get poor Shinji circ--

That isn't entirely a side issue; Jewishness is matrilineal and we do have to consider the logistics of a certain scene in 25', after all. Such activities are (so far as I can tell from my reading) much simpler for those who have not suffered RGM than those unfortunates who have.

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 09:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

It wasn't. 'Tis wun of my wittle wevisions. Image

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 09:42 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:Enter the Priory of Sion, the Merovingian/Hapsburg connection and the Sang Real... Or perhaps we are once again reading too much into the kewl qabalistic imagery. It would make the "Wandering Jew" (even if that is a role rather than an individual) interpretation more likely.

Well, I don't know much about all this cult stuff... But what do YOU think the chances are that Seele is just a pseudonym for what IS actually an Essenetic cult that has survived to the present day by controlling the world from the shadows? Even NGE2 says, "SEELE consider themselves superior humans and our 'guides' for completing [the process of Instrumentality]." This also explains the Scrolls, if they made the damn things themselves! (Albeit thousands of years ago.)

That isn't entirely a side issue; Jewishness is matrilineal and we do have to consider the logistics of a certain scene in 25', after all. Such activities are (so far as I can tell from my reading) much simpler for those who have not suffered RGM than those unfortunates who have.

I can figure out what the GM stands for... What's the R?

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 09:51 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:42 pm

Reichu wrote:But what do YOU think the chances are that Seele is just a pseudonym for what IS actually an Essenetic cult that has survived to the present day by controlling the world from the shadows?

Well, that would be pretty much standard issue for any self-respecting world-controlling cabal so beloved of conspiracy theorists. And if the Aruka civilisation did exist in the past of NGE, then that would be a good seeding point for such a group.

As background reading on the trope, I would heartily recommend Shea and Wilson's Illuminatus! which should give the properly jaundiced view on conspiracy theories as a whole. For this particular strand, Baigent and Leigh's Holy Blood, Holy Grail which ties in turn-of-the-epoch Jewish politico-religious movements to a conspiracy to preserve the bloodline of Jesus and Mary Magdalen that later gave rise to the heads of the Holy Roman Empire puts us into about the right set of geographies.

Then we can mix in mid-20th-century conpiracies as before.

Reichu wrote:I can figure out what the GM stands for... What's the R?

Ritual

Originally posted on: 03-Apr-2005, 11:00 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:42 pm

Greetings, nerds! Bumped this just to let you know that I'm back in action - which of course means that our current progress will be slowing down even more when I shall open my creative floodgates and release all these ideas I've been sitting on for the last nine months (which, for the record, have sucked in an awesome manner. Months, I mean, not the ideas.). Well, don't expect that to happen right away because I'm currently on a dialup-connection and there's no guarantee when that'll be fixed. Also, there's this thing called real life which keeps on interfering even though I've now paid my debt for the society, but I'm planning to get rid of it for good soon. But till then I'm going to be in a lazy-mode, so to speak.

And Reichu - fix my profile, woman.

Originally posted on: 10-Apr-2005, 19:34 GMT

Jinpun [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jinpun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Holy Hell Nick is back! How was your service?

Welcome back Image.

Originally posted on: 10-Apr-2005, 19:47 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Niko, you ought to make the tale of your service available to all! The rest of the world needs to know about Corporal Antere and Big Gay Al. ;;D

Originally posted on: 11-Apr-2005, 08:47 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”