The NGE Fan-Geeks Commentary Project

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Although I felt fickle for a moment there, I've decided to just bear with the pain. No skipping around. I'm ADD enough as it is. (Probably part of the reason why I am hesitant to hand out too many of my tasks to other people... If I'm stuck with fewer types of "grudge work", I get bored/annoyed more easily. But, then, if I have fewer things to do, things theoretically get done faster. One of those double-edged swords.) Although I basically AM already doing bits and pieces of the later episodes -- mostly to satisfy forum inquery or personal curiosity -- so that will make things go a little more quickly when the Promised Time comes.

Quiddity, expect an e-mail from me sometime. Much to say to you, I have.

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 17:40 GMT

yjs [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby yjs [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Holy crap this project is fully hardcore, I just found out about it! Image

Currently reading the commentary for the OP, absolutely amazing. Great work guys, I encourage you to continue! Perhaps ADV will indeed take note of this. Kick their arses!

Originally posted on: 30-Nov-2004, 07:34 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:32 pm

I hadn't really noticed it before, but flipping to the commentary pages, I spotted that there is a second row, just poking out of the bottom of the upper frame.

Looking more closely at the source, I see that the containing frame is fixed size, and borderless (unless you can reconfigure your browser to disregard such things), so the display of the whole is dependent on being at the appropriate resolution, font size and so forth.

Since the whole navigation in top-frame.html relies on script to perform the automatic shift of frame, it should be possible to make more active use of script to just automatically insert the content of the frame into a flat page (or even fancier sorts of DHTML menu).

I think I might have a little play at this.

EDIT - link rather than embed image

Originally posted on: 05-Dec-2004, 16:30 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Mr. Tines wrote:I hadn't really noticed it before, but flipping to the commentary pages, I spotted that there is a second row, just poking out of the bottom of the upper frame.

Heh, yeah, I noticed that when I looked at the commentary page from one of my computer labs at school. It's SUPPOSED to look like this. (BTW, Mr. Tines, you might want to link that image rather than embed it; ANF doesn't like images that wide.) Granted, it's still pretty damn ugly. Image Since "ir teh sux @html", Monkey was supposed to "pimp out" the HTML portion of the site, someday, but if you're up for a shot at it, be my guest. So long as it's not so indecipherable that I can't figure out how to motify it afterwards...

BTW, regarding the image color correction stuff, I've tried something different: "Pre-programming" several different color correction thingies to handle different situations. It's kind of silly that I didn't think of it sooner, but you gave me the idea, and it seems to work well enough. I just go through the individual screenshots and pick the right programmed action to suit each shot, and it goes real fast. Of course, there are the occasional aberrant shots that nothing seems to work on, which require "hand-working".

This way, I'm still burdened with the task of processing these things, but it seems more practical that way anyhow.

Originally posted on: 05-Dec-2004, 16:45 GMT

Beer Goggles [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Beer Goggles [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Reichu wrote:Come now, Iyasu-kun, don't be a stranger. Why don't you introduce yourself in the main commentary thread?

Pardon my rudeness Image

So I saw this project and decided to input a tidbit here and there, to get my feet wet and see what the replies would consist of. So far it's apparent that I watch Eva through ''beer goggles'', so I wonder if I'm welcomed or not Image j/k.

I'd be glad to continue adding to the commentary, providing of course it is open to all those that take a care?

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 21:28 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Reichu wrote:Granted, it's still pretty damn ugly. Image Since "ir teh sux @html", Monkey was supposed to "pimp out" the HTML portion of the site, someday

I would very much like to in the near future. I've been neurotically obsessed with creating things in an efficient and compact nature. Hell, I was looking through a zip of the entirety of Evangelion:R, and it was at least twice as big as it could be if someone took the time to compress it. Sometimes a neurotic attention to detail is unneccessary. Sometimes it is, especially when you're dealing with something that could be cut in half.

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 22:40 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Well, boys and girls, I finally implemented some tweaks, courtesy of Mr. Tines. (What, you think Reichu knows what javascript is?) A lot of problems are hereby solved; for instance, now we can actually link directly to a specific sub-page AND have that top frame thingy be there! The downside? Well, now you can't really see too much of the picture from Death's credits, but... uh... I'll leave it to Aaron to make things pretty. But, uh, make sure you communicate thoroughly with me whenever you DO. Do what Mr. Tines did -- write up all the complex-looking HTML-crap, and tell Reichu what to do with it from there.

Oh, yeah, Monkey, aside from what I've already told you, there's another big problem with just adding your comments to the files as whim dictates: You gotta remember that I have all of the files here on my comp, and -I- am updating those as whim dictates. Unless you put your comments through me first, I'm just going to upload right over your work and think nothing of it. That make any sense?

Iyasu-kun wrote:So I saw this project and decided to input a tidbit here and there, to get my feet wet and see what the replies would consist of. So far it's apparent that I watch Eva through ''beer goggles'', so I wonder if I'm welcomed or not Image j/k.

If it's any consolation, I thought it was some wacky Shamshel until the script proved me wrong. Image

I'd be glad to continue adding to the commentary, providing of course it is open to all those that take a care?

Pretty much. Your comments so far look good, I say keep on going!

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 23:07 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Raichu? The second half of #03 has gone AWOL... I just thought I should let you know. The top frame looks a lot better now, mind you.

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 23:17 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Soluzar wrote:Raichu? The second half of #03 has gone AWOL... I just thought I should let you know. The top frame looks a lot better now, mind you.

Well, shoot me in the head and call me Ein Berliner... How the hell did that happen? It should be better now, at any rate.

One problem I see is that the top frame doesn't appear until all of the pictures have loaded. Any idea why this might be, Tines-san?

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 23:31 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm

I dunno what you did, but the commentary page is messed up now in Safari (OS X's browser), and in Netscape; it sort of works in IE. The problem is that the scroll bar and arrows aren't loading up, so it is impossible to navigate the page. It shows up in IE, but the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work on the page...

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 23:33 GMT

Soluzar [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:I dunno what you did, but the commentary page is messed up now in Safari (OS X's browser), and in Netscape; it sort of works in IE. The problem is that the scroll bar and arrows aren't loading up, so it is impossible to navigate the page. It shows up in IE, but my scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't work all on the page...

I don't really know too much about OS-X, if you can get Firefox for that Operating System, then that works. The thing about the scroll bar is that they DO load, but with a long delay. I thought the same thing at first, but if you leave it, they come up after a while.

Reichu wrote:Well, shoot me in the head and call me Ein Berliner...

Eh? A Jam Doughnut? The second half of #03 is indeed back. Image

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 23:35 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Well, uhhh, hopefully Mr. Tines can fix any problems currently plaguing the bloody thing... I tried to make it work before I put it online, I really did. Image;

Originally posted on: 20-Dec-2004, 23:42 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm

As you can see, no scroll bar in Safari...

and the scroll bar is set in from the edge of the window in IE.

I really don't want to have to launch IE everytime I want to look at the commentary page... Image

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 00:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Wow, the page looks like crap on your computer.. Image Guess there's still a bit of tweaking to do... But, heh, I have no idea how this crap works. Mr. Tines! Fix this crazy thing!

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 00:17 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm

The wonderful thing about web design is that no two browsers render a site the same. If you really know what you're doing, you can design a site that will be functional, and aesthetically similar across the board. However its often more trouble than its worth, and it can really limit you.

The best thing you can do is design with the majority in mind. That's what I've always done, and I've never had any complaints. My view is that if you use a browser thats not common place, and doesn't support as much code, its partially your own fault. Microsoft Internet Explorer and Netscape are always available, and are at least handy as a backup. If Firefox, Opera, Safari or whatever doesn't work for a certain site, fire up IE or Netscape if you have to.

Keep the majority in mind. That's top priority.

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 01:46 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The new setup works correctly on my computer (and I only use Internet Explorer, because I'm boring), except for the top frame only appearing after all pictures have loaded. (The right scroll bars ARE there before the thing is fully loaded.) Is anyone else having any noteworthy problems in IE? Probably best to tackle the main browser first.

Well, assuming you aren't... The Jikai Yokoku for episode #02 is finally up. In the event anyone has comments, please put them in the appropriate thread.

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 04:20 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Reichu wrote:The new setup works correctly on my computer (and I only use Internet Explorer, because I'm boring), except for the top frame only appearing after all pictures have loaded. (The right scroll bars ARE there before the thing is fully loaded.) Is anyone else having any noteworthy problems in IE? Probably best to tackle the main browser first.

I've never had problems with Mozilla, considering unlike IE it doesn't suck. Image

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 16:33 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:33 pm

Reichu wrote:One problem I see is that the top frame doesn't appear until all of the pictures have loaded. Any idea why this might be, Tines-san?

Oh dear. I'd not counted on the "onload" script not happening until the images had loaded. It wasn't obvious when running locally. I shall have to work on a fix, shan't I.

EDIT - Image I've not been able to put together a quick fix that works on non-IE platforms (in particular, getting mouse wheel or keyboard scrolling to work for the page body), so I've recommended reverting. It's the keeping the menu fixed at the top that causes the problems. Image

Next time anything like this happens, it would be worth just going with one test page, rather than going live with the whole thing with red faces all around.

EDIT^2 - Image I have managed to put together something that works on IE and Mozilla family browsers, and hopefully other modern browsers too, and have mailed details to Reichu.

Originally posted on: 21-Dec-2004, 19:12 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

The fix looks much better on my comp than the previous version did. You da man, Tines-san! I've implemented the changes to the index page and episode #01/part 1 only. I'll wait and hear how it works for other folks before I go and fix every page. (Too bad I didn't do that the first time...)

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 02:59 GMT

Beer Goggles [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Beer Goggles [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:34 pm

This is to Reichu: Would it be ok if I bumped the previous episode threads (1 & 2) so I can leave a few comments? I can't find the threads on this page and it would mean more adding to the main page if you plan to use my comments. It's likely that everything has been said already on those eps, but it's worth a look if you dont mind.

Originally posted on: 22-Dec-2004, 14:12 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”