Commentary: Episode #03

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Reichu wrote:Her office might be inside the Nerv HQ pyramid (or random other Geofront building), in which case, yes, there would be an "outside".

The sloping exterior wall in cut 48 led me to presume that this was the pyramid (a pyramid which, in contrast to all known conspiracy literature, does not have an eye near the crest on one side in any of the views we see).

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 19:37 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

025 -I was always freaked out when Shinji went into Zombie mode.

038 - The fact that Anno made Misato's trash the only bag on "burnable trash day" is one of his little hints of the ture state of the cities population pre-3rd angel.

045 - The ability of Anno to take a single object and mold the basis for a character as complex as Shinji is amazing.

Originally posted on: 30-Nov-2004, 08:16 GMT

Magami No ER [ANF]
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Magami No ER [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Gundampilotspaz wrote:038 - The fact that Anno made Misato's trash the only bag on "burnable trash day" is one of his little hints of the ture state of the cities population pre-3rd angel.

Pre or post?
Edit: This may be me looking to much into detail, but Ritsuko's cats are black and white. Could this have something to do with her personality?

Originally posted on: 30-Nov-2004, 08:27 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Magami No ER wrote:This may be me looking to much into detail, but Ritsuko's cats are black and white. Could this have something to do with her personality?

What, like the whole yin-yang dynamic? I don't see how that would apply to Ritsuko in particular; all of the characters have "two sides" (or more...) to them. Maybe I'm missing something, tho.

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 21:38 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

025: Shinji looks really peculiar here.

029: Meaningless observation: Shinohara is the name of one of the characters from Patlabor, his dad owns the company that most of the giant robots.

036: Weather Girl is irritatingly perky in this scene.

041: Though it's disguised as teasing, Ritsuko once again indicates that she knows where Misato's head is at.

075: Major Plot Pont Alert! If there's no one else but Toji, and his father and grandfather, what member of his family that you would normally expect to hear about here is missing?

Also, I've always wondered, did the shelter she was in collapse, or did she not evacuate for some reason?

076: BTW, Toji is speaking with a Osaka accent. Having him use terms like, "aint," is an effort to approximate this.

109: Isn't Toji risking getting hauled off to the Gulag for this?

127: All right! Cue the fun debate about Shamshel's gender.

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 22:25 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Reichu wrote:Ritsuko does, but Misato just replies with kare. Can't "kare" mean "boyfriend" by itself anyhow? (Kind of like how kanojo can mean both "she" and "girlfriend".)

Kare just means he. Kareshi is boyfriend. Kanojo Means both her and girlfriend. I think its a Kanji thing. Kare by it self means he. TO say boyfriend they put the otoko kanji on it. For girls they have Kanojo for sh but since the kanji is already there there no need to add it...maybe.

Any more than the average Japanese woman?

I think most Japanese women smoke in secret. My host mom does. I never see her smoke but If I come down in the middle of the night for water I can smell smoke in the living room.

She just says 'togetoge no', so I thought "spiky things" was an appropriate equivalent.

Its probably just Allison Kieth that makes her sound blonde.

Image Is what?

I mean he seems to be good at conspiracies. Like the Newspaper said no one was hurt but he comes up with all his info on troop movements and technical stuff and declares something else.

Originally posted on: 29-Nov-2004, 22:59 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

thewayneiac wrote:127: All right! Cue the fun debate about Shamshel's gender.

Shh, I was going to get to that! It's hard to think about commenting when I still have the second half of the episode to crank out!

I like the way Clockwork addressed the matter:

Armisael: So you said Shamshel's a girl, right?
Zeruel: Yeah.
Armisael: But she looks like a giant penis.
Zeruel: Well, I guess so...

Keisuke-kun: I was right. Kare apparently CAN stand alone to mean "boyfriend."

Originally posted on: 30-Nov-2004, 01:45 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Ok I was wrong and you were right. Well its all context my friend, context. "Context" comes from a german word meaning "Your screwed."

Originally posted on: 30-Nov-2004, 03:37 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Reichu wrote:I guess I'll hold my breath, then.

You know, I don't want people to get the impression that I'm somehow sitting on bunch of "secret revelations" like an old hen on a clutch of eggs... I suppose if I didn't want to reveal what I was talking about, then I shouldn't have brought it up in the first place. So:

:file this under "Nothing in NGE happens just once":

050-054
This sequence is mirrored several episodes later. (#10)
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Originally posted on: 30-Nov-2004, 14:51 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:050-054
This sequence is mirrored several episodes later. (#10)
Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Thats amazing that you cought that, A++, now tell us what the purpose of it is.

Originally posted on: 01-Dec-2004, 08:42 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:17 pm

Gundampilotspaz wrote:Thats amazing that you cought that, A++, now tell us what the purpose of it is.

I think that in this case, it was just the show's directors and storyboard-ers having a little fun, and seeing if we, the audience, are paying attention. There are numerous occasions, tho, where these visual correlations, from scene to scene, and episode to episode, really do mean something. I've said it before (and I'm sure I'll say it again), but when you watch NGE, it pays to pay attention, and consciously look for visual details that tie scenes together...

Originally posted on: 30-Nov-2004, 21:53 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Shin-seiki wrote:I think that in this case, it was just the show's directors and storyboard-ers having a little fun, and seeing if we, the audience, are paying attention. There are numerous occasions, tho, where these visual correlations, from scene to scene, and episode to episode, really do mean something. I've said it before (and I'm sure I'll say it again), but when you watch NGE, it pays to pay attention, and consciously look for visual details that tie scenes together...

Very true and one of the reasons that you learn something new everytime you watch the series.

However my guess at the connection is that it may hint at the connection that Nerv and Shinji's classroom have, which is revealed later in the series. However that is a liberal guess.

Originally posted on: 01-Dec-2004, 23:49 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

What? That, however unknowingly, the kids of 2-A are as much under Nerv's thumb as Maya, Makoto, and Shigeru?

Originally posted on: 02-Dec-2004, 01:23 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Yes!

I'm going to wait until Reichu's finished the script to make my commentary. It's also exam season at my university, so things might take even longer.

and...that 2-A girl reading the book in Shin's comparison shots looks like me.

Originally posted on: 03-Dec-2004, 02:02 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Incisivis wrote:I'm going to wait until Reichu's finished the script to make my commentary.

Alas, so much depends on poor old me.

Imagine if MDWigs were the leader. Image

But, yes... I'm working on it. Supposedly.

Once I finish the whole episode, I'll be in the proper mindset to add my own comments of substance as well. Which involves digging up fairly recent crap about the entry plug interior, Eva external and battery power, blah blah blah...

Originally posted on: 03-Dec-2004, 02:20 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

012 This will be Shinji's downfall later in the episode. He isn't actually learning anything that will help him in combat, he's just repeating the same thing. The only reason he gets away with it is because NERV's simulations are so basic.

042 Cats. Something about Ritsuko that will be elaborated on later.

075 "The lab"? NERV perhaps?

082 Misinformation obviously.

084 This part is reasonably accurate though. The best way to spread false information is to have as much of it accurate as possible. If part of it is actually true, people are more likely to assume the false part is as well.

092 Which Shinji refuses to appreciate.

106 By the end of EoE, I wanted to do that so badly.

127 Shamshel. The most phallic of the Angels.

Keisuke-kun wrote:002 (ctd.) The Evas were created with a limitation of technology?...

Of course, they are reliant on power supplied from NERv etc, except in a few exceptional cases.

Mr. Tines wrote:Cut #087 - And what OS are they running?

Generic Inconsistant Anime OS.

Shin-seiki wrote:Image
Wow, the computer simulation Sachiel has been somehow persuaded to not utilize his AT Field.

As I said, NERV's simulations are spectacuarly underwhelming.

thewayneiac wrote:127: All right! Cue the fun debate about Shamshel's gender.

Ever seen Mystery Yaoi Theatre 3000? I'll never look at Shamshel the same way again T_T

Originally posted on: 03-Dec-2004, 10:55 GMT

Mr. Tines [ANF]
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:106 By the end of EoE, I wanted to do that so badly.

It took that long?

I can see it now - the number of people who decide to reform from LCL just to join that particular queue. They've been complemented. They know whose fault it is...

Sharp-kun wrote: Quote: Originally Posted by Mr. Tines Cut #087 - And what OS are they running?

Generic Inconsistant Anime OS. It's odd, though - Apple machines had pervaded the world of graphic design by the end of the '80s (in contrast to the PC dominance in the office apps market). I would have expected at least a hint of a windowing system; not the fairly retro-tech non-graphical display we see here.

But then in later episodes (really anything before EoE) we see similar text based terminals in NERV too.

This is a place where Eva-tech is behind mid-1990s levels (as opposed to the contemporary level of telephone technology), but not in an area which one would expect to have suffered from 2I-induced effects. Is there any sub-text here?

Originally posted on: 04-Dec-2004, 08:16 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:042 Cats. Something about Ritsuko that will be elaborated on later.

Hmm. What was interesting is that in the film books they elaborated on this. The film books don't have the full script but they have some little interestign blurbs, most of which I can't understand. In this scene it eleborated that the ciggarettes show that shes a heavy smoker and the coffee pot shows that she is stressed from work and something about cats.

Originally posted on: 03-Dec-2004, 22:30 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

Random stupid question... I'm having a lapse of inspiration and I don't know what to entitle the last 'scene' for episode #03. I have it start right after Shinji chucks Shamshel away and it continues to the end of the episode (the short segment with Kensuke and Toji), so it's really two different scenes... so I guess I need two titles. Post any ideas y'all you might have here, while I take advantage of my mania/insomnia to finish up these stupid pages.

Originally posted on: 05-Dec-2004, 13:26 GMT

Rabid Monkey [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rabid Monkey [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 pm

How about 'The Calm after the Storm'.

I was thinking of using 'The Social Void' as a metaphor for Toji not calling Shinji when he had the chance aswell.

Originally posted on: 05-Dec-2004, 13:29 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”