Commentary: Episode #01

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:16 pm

Ooo, writing from work, are you? Naughty naughty boy... Then again, if I was stuck in the testing center for seven or so hours, I'd probably start screwing around, too. Image

Actually, today it's eight, I'm filling in for someone who went home sick, heh. Not to mention that one of my supervisors is on vacation.

But I did look (briefly) at those threads, and if nothing else I have to say that I hadn't noticed a lot of the stuff noted in there...as to what it might actually mean when it's all said and done, I'll withhold comment on that one...

Perhaps not... When one looks at it that why, what the hell ARE these mysterious appearances all about?

I'm sure everyone has their own ideas about it, though Gainax has been even more silent about these appearances than they've been on other aspects of the series, apparently.

Then where WOULD it go?

I'd figure that my junk on this matter would be better-suited to the commentary for EoE or sometime later on, as talking to such an extent about Rei's character at this point might distract a tad too much from the more prominent stuff going on.

IMO it's pretty hard to miss...

Well, remember who you're talking to here. Image I have been accused on more than one occasion of possessing "Bovine Powers of Observation," heh.

Although honestly, the male fascination with panties is something I've never been able to understand. It's UNDERWEAR for crissake.

This goes way beyond my area of expertise, heh. In all honesty, some of the stuff women are willing to wear scares the heck outta me...as a geek, I am quite well-acquainted with the Wedgie. As such, I cannot comprehend how anyone sound in mind could be persuaded to pay good money to wear one 24 hours a day. *shudders*...I ain't gonna go any further into this.

As for Ritsuko, sorry for the misunderstanding there, when you put it that way you could be right...though I have to wonder why she wasn't dissuaded from Gendo at the get-go after seeing how much of a "playa" ("ohhhh bay-beh." Image) he was (I can only wonder whether or not Ritsuko ever rightly suspected him as the reason why her mother killed herself). In any case, it's probably pretty much impossible to say exactly when Ritsuko's affair began, so I suppose there's not much more to discuss there, heh. Though as far as the "she wouldn't be as interested after Adam was implanted" comment, I oughta find the link to your pic of Gendo having a "pre-game discussion" with his parasitic passenger, heh. Maybe Ritsuko just goes for those types of guys, the more the merrier. Or maybe he just kept the gloves on.

Yeesh, I hafta wash my hands after typing this reply...

Originally posted on: 14-Jun-2004, 23:07 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:16 pm

Did you get ahold of your DVD, 'ki? Well, heh, in any case, here's the obligatory Reichu reply to what you're written so far...

felineki wrote:Okay, I'll probably be putting all my comments in this post, editing them in, to save space, as this thread is ridiculously long already....

It's actually probably better for me if you just make a new post for new comments. Generally speaking, once I process the comments up to a certain point in the thread, I tend not to look back.

005: I've herad that there might be an inaccuracy here... supposedly in the Real World, UN tanks are painted blue. Anyone got confirmation on this?

There was some discussion on this earlier in the thread... Dunno why I didn't add any of it as comments, though.

038: In a way, it does... you have to remember that every time an Angel shows up and stuff is blowing up, buildings and such are getting trashed. The damage is at very least an inconvenience, as Fuyutsuki lets us nopw in an upcoming episode.

The funny thing, of course, is that most of the time, the property damage isn't even the Angel's fault.

084: Sachi's footprints. You know, by the time the series is over, Tokyo 3 would probably be a veritable Angel version of the courtyard in front of the Chinese Theatre.

Heh, you'll have to explain that one to me...

130: Sachi's got pretty good aim! "Stupid UN paparazzi... LEAVE ME ALONE!!!" **zap**

You know, that's funny -- I was actually considering using the term "paparazzi" in my own comment. Image

194: (Re: Rachel) Well, apparently from the last shot, the coolant is transparent enough that her whole arm is visible...

Oh, right. Duh... Image

196: She has such pretty eyes...

In THIS shot? Image

234: The way this shot is layered, Shinji's head almost looks like a pupil in Sho's eye.

Stuffman beat you to this one. Image

265: The lights going out as an effect of that explosion is a nice detail.

Oh, cool, I hadn't noticed that...

266: An overly wide cross-blast.

The "wide" version only lasts for the couple of frames, though... Then it goes back to being a "normal" cross-blast (or 'hikari no hashira', "pillar of light", which isn't quite as descriptive...).

289: I had thought that perhaps the "slits" were actually lenses that covered the eyes (somewhat like the eyes on a traditional mecha), and one scene in the next episode seems to support this, but many more go against it, so just forget I said anything. ::p

Well, if this is the case, then the "lens" seem to enjoy disappearing at around the same times at the "exo-dentures" (as you put it)...

314: Sachi almost looks like he's peeking around the corner of that building before walking out into the street... everything he does is just so cute! Image

It does almost look like that, although I think it's more an artifact of the positioning of the second head, which, if I had to guess, wouldn't have a separate pair of eyes it in.

343B: Now THIS is some good fan service! ::ogle's Sho's figure and drools::

At least this early in the series, we ought to refrain from comments like this that might scare potential audience away... Dr.'s orders!

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 04:51 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

And for Stuffman...

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:But I did look (briefly) at those threads, and if nothing else I have to say that I hadn't noticed a lot of the stuff noted in there...as to what it might actually mean when it's all said and done, I'll withhold comment on that one...

Oh, come on, live a little! With your unique brand of maleness, I'm sure you could potentially bring a fairly interesting perspective to the matter.

I'd figure that my junk on this matter would be better-suited to the commentary for EoE or sometime later on, as talking to such an extent about Rei's character at this point might distract a tad too much from the more prominent stuff going on.

No reason you can't share your thoughts now, though. A lot of the stuff discussed in these early threads is being delegated to appear later on, anyway.

Well, remember who you're talking to here. Image I have been accused on more than one occasion of possessing "Bovine Powers of Observation," heh.

Who said that? I'll kick their bootie!

In all honesty, some of the stuff women are willing to wear scares the heck outta me...as a geek, I am quite well-acquainted with the Wedgie. As such, I cannot comprehend how anyone sound in mind could be persuaded to pay good money to wear one 24 hours a day. *shudders*...

That is probably the most interesting take on the thong I have ever heard.

Though as far as the "she wouldn't be as interested after Adam was implanted" comment, I oughta find the link to your pic of Gendo having a "pre-game discussion" with his parasitic passenger, heh. Maybe Ritsuko just goes for those types of guys, the more the merrier. Or maybe he just kept the gloves on.

Hmm, gloves... :"Fight Club" flashback:

Did you say "link"?

Yeesh, I hafta wash my hands after typing this reply...

Image Poor, poor Stuffman... If I was that straight-arrow, I'd probably have to wash my physical brain on a regular basis.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 04:53 GMT

MDWigs [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby MDWigs [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:16 pm

Sorry if this seems rushed. I leave for Paris this afternoon!

Reichu:

:blush: Much obliged. Odds are, if it existed at at, it would be somewhat less ambitious... It really does take a crazy person to devote so much of herself to something like this.

Crazy, or dedicated and hardworking... take your pick Image

According to Sharp, they aren't that common. Do they only show up in certain parts of the UK?

I can speak for Scottland, I've only been in Edinburgh, but they are still fairly common down south. Particularly in places like Oxford which try and maintain their old image. The red phone box is also still on the front of the Britian Lonely Planet! Image That all being said, they have apparently been dying out, particularly recently: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniont...3phonebox.html

I'm actually surprised there are still so many pay phones in Japan given the over abundance of mobile phones there.

Quoting the End, eh? Any particular reason why you feel this is appropriate to mention here? (Just curious, is all.)

Because ultimately I believe her appearance in episode 01 is symbolic of the hope that she represents. She says goodbye at the end, and hello here, and all the time in between there is hope that Shinji can become a better person, and learn that he has value.

I had to edit this one a bit, since the commentary assumes that the reader has already seen the entire series. (Still, I'm being a little weird about this... I don't want to refer to EVA-01 as "Yui" until #16, for example. Probably because I showed all of NGE to someone and they somehow didn't figure the Yui part out.)

That's fine, it's a similar situation with me. I just thought it interesting as it took me until this point to figure it out (duh me) whereas some people I've watched it with said "Shinji's father!" as soon as we saw Gendou, when we were given no real hints at all.

The 89% figure is from episode #21, whereas the rest are from a production drawing available in Newtype 100%. Although honestly I think that should be a decimal point in "13,75". It looks like a Japanese comma in the productive drawing, but the "typed" description of the Geofront separates the 13 and 75 with a ten, the floating bullet used to separate elements.

13.75km seems to small to me if you are left with a dome 6km wide and 900 high. Though 1375 does seem a little too big. When I've got some more free time I'll sit down and work out the math and see which measurement fits the "89%" best.

Perhaps it's due to a difference in air pressure between the interior and exterior? Then again, I have really no grasp on the fundamentals of meteorology.

Yes that's likely it, as wind is only caused by changes in air pressure. Still, you would think they would have better environmental controls in the place (considering it can withstand an N2 blast).

I'll see if the production drawings in Newtype 100% tell us anything.

Cheers. It's something I've always wondered about but never seen/heard/read anything concerning it.

On the "Children" issue... I put together a comment from the previously written post you provided, but I kept it brief. We don't want too much information too early. Discussing the specifics of why "Children" was used is better suited to later on (#21? #23?), when the duplicity of Rei enters the spotlight. We'll certainly be able to use everything you've typed up about the issue then, though.

Sounds good. I agree that most of this stuff is better kept for later.

Quote:
For example, in their "Evangelion Encyclopaedia" from their second DVD. They say: "n.p. (of the Japanese KO - "Light", A - "pearl"). ". BZZZTT! WRONG!

Heh heh, interesting... What is this "Evangelion Encyclopaedia" you refer to? I don't recall it being on the US "Collection 0:2"...

It's an insert to the ADV DVDs (collections 0:1 to 0:6 IIRC) entitled "Evangelion Encyclopaedia" which defines a bunch of terms from the show (Angel, AT Field, etc.) You can also turn the insert around and use it as a replacement for the original DVD cover. These things were only produced by ADV, Gaianx had no hand in them. It may have just been in the initial press of the US Collection 0:2 (and the other ones) I'm not sure. I found a couple of reviews which note it (http://joshualane.gearhost.net/DVD/l...llection%200:2) and a lot that don't, but I can't see any obvious different in the version they aer reviewing.

I've noticed the koukyuu/KOA discrepancy in the notes on the production drawings, and Misato says "koukyuu" instead of "core" in the manga during the first Israfel encounter, but I haven't encountered "koukyuu" in the scripts yet... But I do recall at least two instances where plain ol' "KOA" is used, nothing like the unusual way they presented Misato's line:

Misato "Sou, MARUDUKKU no houkokusho ni yoru 3ninme no tekininsha (SA-DO CHIRUDOREN"

I'm not sure if it is in the scripts. It's interesting to note though the way in which a company like ADV can take the Japanese pronunciation of an English word "Core" and create a supposed Japanese word "Koa".

A very good question. Here's another: Why call attention to Rei's duplicity by using the term "Children" in the first place?

I think this has to be purely for the audience. I don't think there is any real reason inside of the show for them to do it. It just doesn't make sense.

Wasn't Misato at the Third Branch at this time? Shortly before Rei 1 is killed, Ritsuko says that Misato is "coming back" (LTP), but I'm not sure if that means "visiting" or "transferring to Japan"...

She may have been yes. Ritsuko meets her in 2005 in University, and Misato starts going out with Kaji at that point. Then in 2010 when Ritsuko is talking ot Naoko, she talks about Misato coming back from Germany, having broken up with Kaji, so yes you're right, she wouldn't have been there to see Rei. Still you would think in Germany (where Asuka was) that Misato would have wondered, if Asuka is the second, who is the first?

Perhaps the death of Rei 1 was covered up (but Naoko's obviously wasn't). Gendo's story had been that he was taking care of an acquaintance's child, so perhaps his BS story was that he had sent her back home, only to have her show up again a few years later. Although, yes, the fact that when Rei "returns" she is older than she should be punches a nice big hole in this idea... Honestly, I can't think of anything that would explain all this aside from "Plot Hole".

I think it's just a plot hole. *Someone* should have wondered about this. If Asuka was #2, who was #1?

Looks like the same stuff they're IVing Asuka in #25'. I really don't think it is LCL, though. I've heard that it's liquid nutrients or some such thing, but maybe someone more educated than I can concoct an appropriate comment.

If it was just a saline solution it should be clear. I'm out of ideas here.

Anyway I'm running late. I've got a train to catch!

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 09:50 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

MDWigs wrote:Sorry if this seems rushed. I leave for Paris this afternoon!

That's fine. I'm much obliged that you're making the time for this. Image

Just replying to a couple of things...

13.75km seems to small to me if you are left with a dome 6km wide and 900 high. Though 1375 does seem a little too big. When I've got some more free time I'll sit down and work out the math and see which measurement fits the "89%" best.

Well, if it helps at all, here's the diagram from Newtype 100%. It would be great if you could work out the math; I've all but forgotten my geometry. Image

It's an insert to the ADV DVDs (collections 0:1 to 0:6 IIRC) entitled "Evangelion Encyclopaedia" which defines a bunch of terms from the show (Angel, AT Field, etc.) You can also turn the insert around and use it as a replacement for the original DVD cover.

Ahhhh, there it is... My Collection 0:2 is the only volume that has an "Evangelion Encyclopedia" on the reverse of the insert and, surely enough, the villainous "KOA" is there. But, I agree, rather creative of ADV to determine the etymology of a nonexistent Japanese word! (Even funnier, "light" would be kou, with a long "o", whereas "KOA" has no lengthened vowels.)

Still you would think in Germany (where Asuka was) that Misato would have wondered, if Asuka is the second, who is the first?

Even worse, when Rei 2 appears, she's STILL the "First Children". :cough: Plot Hole! :cough:

If it was just a saline solution it should be clear. I'm out of ideas here.

Is saline solution the only thing they feed intravenously into patients? Maybe we should track down a med expert and ask...

Anyway I'm running late. I've got a train to catch!

Have a blast! I'll be looking forward to the rest of your episode #01 comments, whenever you have the time.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 12:29 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:16 pm

Oh, come on, live a little! With your unique brand of maleness, I'm sure you could potentially bring a fairly interesting perspective to the matter.

"Unique brand of maleness..." is that the term for it these days? Image But seriously, about the only possible significance of the series' multitudinous mammaries that I can think of which hasn't (I think) been mentioned yet relates to the shot seen briefly of Shinji as an infant being nursed by Yui...if there really is some big, in-depth underlying theme to all these bosoms, that paticular image must have something to do with it...maybe since Shinji only knew his mother very early in life the female breast has remained as something of a symbol of warmth and intimacy to him, perhaps morseo than as something purely erotic, something like that? Then again, if you're applying Freudian thought to this then they're all one and the same, but this is all just pure speculation on my part as it is...

No reason you can't share your thoughts now, though. A lot of the stuff discussed in these early threads is being delegated to appear later on, anyway.

*puts on flame-resistant suit* Might as well, I guess. Here's the "digest" version of how I came to think that Rei's early and late "phantom" appearances are symbolic rather than literal, aside from the stuff I mentioned in my past posts (Shinji's lack of reaction, lack of purpose to the appearances, etc.). I already mentioned the quote by Yui of "This Rei is your heart, your very hopes and dreams" (that might not be verbatim), which she says soon after "GNK" appears to soothe Shinji. I'm not sure exactly what prompted me to apply that quote to the "phantom" Reis, but it sort of made sense, in my view anyways...in both instances of her appearing (when Shinji first arrives to look for his father, and after 3I has ended), Shinji is at a "gateway" of sorts, heading off into an unknown frontier, so to speak, a situation which both frightens him and offers him a great deal of hope at the same time: in one, he approaches his father, hoping for acceptance but fearing rejection, and in the other he is left to start life anew after 3I, hoping that he can live up to his mother's ideal that "anyplace can be paradise," but fearing loneliness, as well as rejection by Asuka, once she arrives, once again giving him another's AT Field to deal with. In fact, not long before 3I concludes, when asked "who they are" or "what will they do now" or something like that, Rei and Kaworu tell Shinji that they are "the hope that people will understand each other," and "the words 'I love you,'" if I remember right...I tend to apply that same analogy to Rei's mysterious showings at the beginning and end of Eva, since I think she could capably represent Shinji's hope at those two crossroads of his life. It's just my ideas, but if you're gonna poke holes in 'em you might as well do it now, before the commentary gets too far along, heh.

Who said that? I'll kick their bootie!

Actually the coiner and most frequent user of that term in relation to me is my mom. Image

Anything else you need clarification on, let me know.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 15:59 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Rah, being as you are prohibited from participating in the commentary project anyway, I'd appreciate it if you put your breast-related comments in the relevant threads rather than spamming this one. Thank you.

Image Image Image Image Image

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 19:16 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:16 pm

Reichu wrote:Rah, being as you are prohibited from participating in the commentary project anyway, I'd appreciate it if you put your breast-related comments in the relevant threads rather than spamming this one. Thank you.

I didn't know that. Image
If you want, I can remove the posts and any more that are made. This is your project, so it's up to you.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 19:19 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Sharp-kun wrote:I didn't know that. Image
If you want, I can remove the posts and any more that are made. This is your project, so it's up to you.

I think at the onset of the project, we (me and maybe a couple of other people...) decided that people who exhibited troll-type behavior would automatically be prohibited from participating. Guess who falls under that. Image If you could remove the last one he did in this thread at least -- and any additional ones -- I would appreciate it. Image

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 19:24 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:16 pm

Reichu wrote:I think at the onset of the project, we (me and maybe a couple of other people...) decided that people who exhibited troll-type behavior would automatically be prohibited from participating. Guess who falls under that. Image If you could remove the last one he did in this thread at least -- and any additional ones -- I would appreciate it. Image

Done. If Rahotaku has a problem with that, he can take it up with you via PM.

This thread will not go back to it's original topic Image

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 19:28 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

I don't know whether this problem is already fixed or not, but this following comment is duplicated; it's there in 181 and again in 185:
I do enjoy the little human touches involved in Shinji and Misato's trip through NERV, such as Misato getting lost and Shinji being so engrossed in the NERV pamphelt that he doesn't notice Ritsuko at first (185 -- by the way, nice call on the book, Reichu). They're very minor things, but they make the series more "alive." We'll see a lot more of such things in the coming episodes.

170: Is there a Law of Anime regarding Dramatic Wind and Windblown Stuff? If there isn't there definitely should be.

No, surprisingly enough there's no such law at least on that original list. So feel free to cook up a law of your own if you want to (remember to invent a suitable pseudo-scientific name for it!).
and I don't even want to ask how much discussion there's been amongst fans as to how incorrect that missile's explosion is.

Well, some idiots who are not familiar with the term "artistic license" even consider it a blooper. But I don't think we need to specifically mention all those occurences in the series where real-life physics are violated, that would merely be commentary spam.
Dr. Nick already killed one of my comments on Sachiel's butt....

I have nothing against Stuffman's Ren & Stimpy comment, as long as it doesn't feature Image tags.
179: I wonder if the fact that Ritsuko appears right where Misato's reflection was means anything worth noting...

"Probably not" is my educated guess too.
"EMP" isn't specifically used in the script: They say denpa shougai, or electro-magnetic interference, which I'm not completely sure is the same thing... I ought to modify the script to use the straight translation unless someone can confirm that they mean the same thing.

*sigh* Reichu, I'm going to bet my left nut that it's the same thing. Just leave it as it were.
Speaking of Gunbuster, though, I was expecting a comment from you at around C-074! Don't tell me you wouldn't have gauged your eyes out with a fork when Noriko ripped her shirt open in episode #6 had one been available.

You people are weak, you need to build up some resistance against fan-service! Some sunny day when you least expect it I'm going to haul my butt over there and force you to watch the entirety of Mahoromatic, Clockwork Orange -style. And after that I'm going to show you some actually bad fan-service anime. Image
310: This is the point when the line between LCL and LSD becomes blurred.

Image Now where are my lollerskates?
BTW, since the NGE manga has been already brought up a couple of times in the commentary, where are we going to explain the relation between the manga and the anime? My suggestion is that we let MDWigs handle that one, because he's the old respected fart the kids will listen. Image

And then, some comments about those translation issues MDWigs brought up:
There is absolutely no need to "translate" or in any way alter the pronunciation of 'Children' to 'Child'. It is meant to be Children and there is a reason behind it

Actually from a translator's point of view that alteration was a correct thing to do: with works of fiction maximum fluency is (generally) a more important thing than maximum accuracy. A translator always has to cut out stuff, and although this whole children-thing is an interesting piece of foreshadowing, it's not a crucially important plot element and thus it's expendable. ADV could have created a "translator's notes" section though, where they could have explained that the use of "children" is not an Engrish-error and that the mystery behind this odd choice will be revealed in the last episodes of the show.

As a side note, there is absolutely no way to maintain "children" if that piece of dialogue were to be translated into Finnish; that language doesn't allow you to play carelessly with plurals.

And then, my stupid comments, part two:
200:
WTF? I just noticed. Where the hell did Misato get her jacket?

You may also notice that she's wearing different earrings now.
221:
Nothing some heavy-duty counseling can't fix!

This reminds me of that "Dr. Katz's therapy session" picture on the famous Food Court anime parody site. (I guess we can put that pic on our site, since the original site is dead and buried (or is it?))

285: A good officer knows when to trust her intuition.

304: Well, the vomiting-part might not be necessary here: see my comments about the LCL in 309.

309: Now here we see something interesting: It appears as if the LCL would lose all of its liquid properties and become gaseous; its normal yellowish color disappears and no more bubbles appear. Certain lines of technical dialogue spoken later on in the series have led me to believe that this transformation is somehow achieved by manipulating the LCL with electrical current. And yes, I know that's technically impossible in real life, but let's remember that this is science-fiction, and what the first and the most important Law of Anime dictates the following:
Law of Anime #01 - Law of Metaphysical Irregularity
The normal laws of physics do not apply.

Another thing that's "wrong" with the LCL (or Tang as we like to call it) is that in 305 Shinji is able to speak while still being submerged in liquid LCL (if you've seen the film Abyss you know how impossible that is).
The LCL reverts back to its normal liquid form when the Eva is "shut down" and the plug is removed. But as I mentioned in 304, the pilots might not have to cough liquid out of their lungs: The LCL in their lungs might remain gaseous, and if that's the case, they only need to hold their breath and swim out of the plug. This is supported by the fact that we never see the pilots vomiting up liquid after a mission.
(If anyone has any problems with my theory, there's a specific thread about this subject around so rant there. Teh link)

310: Another odd tidbit about the LCL: many people seem to think that "LCL" is an abbreviation of Link Connection Liquid, but that's not the case - apparently it's not an abbreviation of anything, it's simply LCL. This is what the The D&R Special Edition Movie Program Book says about the subject:
Incidentally, the widely circulated idea that L.C.L is the abbreviation of "Link Connected Liquid" is incorrect.

(Should I use the entire entry here? And who wants to explain the importance of the program books?)

349: *sigh* "It's one of these days, I guess..."

(BTW, I think somewhere here would be a good place to make a comment about the size of Evas and how friggin huge they are compared to majority of other mechs.)

351: "Damn woman, it's easy for you to say that..."

And about 329, Christ, I need to create another thread about that stinky little issue. Please stand by.

Originally posted on: 16-Jun-2004, 08:39 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

Actually its the Eva transports that freak me out. The largest plane today can carry about 4-5 tanks. An this thing carrys an Eva. Plus the wing span is enormous. Where do they get runways for these things, Japan is supposed to be short on land.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 23:09 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

Washu-chan wrote:Actually its the Eva transports that freak me out. The largest plane today can carry about 4-5 tanks. An this thing carrys an Eva. Plus the wing span is enormous. Where do they get runways for these things, Japan is supposed to be short on land.

Presumably the situation is slightly worse in the Japan of NGE, due to 2I. Thank gawd for those mountains, eh?

One might wonder why they just don't train the pilots to tap the Evas' natural "anti-gravity" abilities; they'd save a helluva lotta money on fuel. But, seriously, don't worry about the Eva transport planes until episode #07, since this is the first time they appear.

Originally posted on: 15-Jun-2004, 23:23 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

Dr. Nick wrote:No, surprisingly enough there's no such law at least on that original list. So feel free to cook up a law of your own if you want to (remember to invent a suitable pseudo-scientific name for it!).

Might as well give it a try...

Law of Histrionic Atmospherics: Whenever a dramatic moment calls for it, and there is something available which is lightweight enough to be moved by a breeze (a character's hair/clothes, curtains, leaves, etc.), wind WILL suddenly start blowing, even if the scene takes place in an enclosed room with no ventilation, windows, or other "usual" means for causing air to move.

...actually, there's another that I don't think has been added yet...

Law of Reflective Omnipresence: Metallic or otherwise reflective objects (such as sunglasses) which are intended to look "cool" can cause light to travel across their surface in dramatic fashion while keeping completely still, eventually forming a small glint at the end of it (often with a "ka-pwing" sound effect), even if there are no moving light sources anywhere nearby. This phenomenon is even possible in complete darkness, if the item in question is "cool" enough.

As for the whole LCL mess, perhaps someone ought to mention the discrepancy between the program book (which says "Link Connect Liquid" is incorrect) and the manga's "dossier" section (which says it is correct), in case that pops up someplace...

Originally posted on: 16-Jun-2004, 05:10 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:"Unique brand of maleness..." is that the term for it these days? Image But seriously, about the only possible significance of the series' multitudinous mammaries that I can think of which hasn't (I think) been mentioned yet relates to the shot seen briefly of Shinji as an infant being nursed by Yui...if there really is some big, in-depth underlying theme to all these bosoms, that paticular image must have something to do with it...maybe since Shinji only knew his mother very early in life the female breast has remained as something of a symbol of warmth and intimacy to him, perhaps morseo than as something purely erotic, something like that? Then again, if you're applying Freudian thought to this then they're all one and the same, but this is all just pure speculation on my part as it is...

I posted something along those lines in another EVA thread a while here

Basically I've got the same idea as you, only I add in some more universal points about the relationship of women to technology.

Originally posted on: 16-Jun-2004, 06:53 GMT

Someone [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Someone [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

And more rambling.....its short though...

079- Compared to the explosions in the series, this one look real Image

151- It seems that there is two types that the series use to represent the past. The first type is the one we saw during the OP, sketching. The other type is the scene in 150 and 151.

(BTW, is the large bag the same as the large bag Shinji is carrying?)

197- Interesting, he look through the content from the middle of the book instead of looking from the content page or the index...

261- Where's the nurses when she need them?

291- My personal favourite mantra Image

329- whats scary about this ejection route is that there is a sharp bent along the passage. I don't wanna imagine what will happen if it travels too fast....

well thats it for now...

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Law of Histrionic Atmospherics: Whenever a dramatic moment calls for it, and there is something available which is lightweight enough to be moved by a breeze (a character's hair/clothes, curtains, leaves, etc.), wind WILL suddenly start blowing, even if the scene takes place in an enclosed room with no ventilation, windows, or other "usual" means for causing air to move.

...actually, there's another that I don't think has been added yet...

Law of Reflective Omnipresence: Metallic or otherwise reflective objects (such as sunglasses) which are intended to look "cool" can cause light to travel across their surface in dramatic fashion while keeping completely still, eventually forming a small glint at the end of it (often with a "ka-pwing" sound effect), even if there are no moving light sources anywhere nearby. This phenomenon is even possible in complete darkness, if the item in question is "cool" enough.

As for the whole LCL mess, perhaps someone ought to mention the discrepancy between the program book (which says "Link Connect Liquid" is incorrect) and the manga's "dossier" section (which says it is correct), in case that pops up someplace...

lol Image

Originally posted on: 16-Jun-2004, 06:58 GMT

Dr. Nick [ANF]
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

Stuffman, you should contact the authors of the original list and ask them to add those laws there. Image

Also, remember to read The History of Laws of Anime, it's pretty goddamn amusing stuff:
Discussion about actual laws most likely started in Venus Wars when Ryan mentioned that every Anime series has to have one flaming homosexual character (for some reason, this has never appeared in the Laws).

Originally posted on: 16-Jun-2004, 10:53 GMT

felineki [ANF]
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby felineki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

298: According to Ikuto Yamashita's Complete Design Works, a portion of the Eva's upper spinal column is composed of implanted "artificial bone". The light bone-colored plates you see exposed in Sho's upper back here correspond with a sketch included in CDW illustrating the artificial spine section. According to the sketch, the artificial spine section runs from the base of the skull all the way to near the bottom of the shoulder blades! This section of spine, both in the sketch and in the shot seen here also seem to be completely exposed, whereas the rest of the body still has skin. It seems possible that during the "creation" process of an Evangelion, the portion of spine that is to be replace is simply ripped out, and the artificial section shoved in and left exposed.

The artificial section of spine does seem to be composed of "vertebrae" parts and have some degree of flexibility. The strangest feature would have to be the plug hole, which would seem to go completely through the spinal column. The Entry Plug is inserted at approximately a 45 degree angle (if some of the more accurate Evangelion models are any indication), which would bring the leading edge of the plug into or near the solar plexus region of the Eva, coming into contact with, or possibly even penetrating the core. More evidence of the plug's proximity to the core appears in later episodes.

The top (or back) of the plug settles flush with the artificial spine at around the base of the neck. The plug likely interfaces with the equivalent of the spinal cord in this region, theoretically allowing control of most of the muscles of the Eva's body.

Originally posted on: 17-Jun-2004, 01:10 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

:fu~~~: Well, finished another update, although I don't think I got quite EVERYTHING... Over the weekend, maybe. I incorporated most of the suggestions/nitpicks from you, Dr. Nick, although knowing you another list of revisions will be heading my way soon. Image

Dr. Nick wrote:You people are weak, you need to build up some resistance against fan-service! Some sunny day when you least expect it I'm going to haul my butt over there and force you to watch the entirety of Mahoromatic, Clockwork Orange -style. And after that I'm going to show you some actually bad fan-service anime. Image

Well, there are enough trees in this part of New Jersey that you should feel at home. At any rate, I'm always up for some good desensitizing, although I suspect the Schtuffmeister needs it about ten times worse. I doubt he'd survive even the mild ecchi-ness of "Golden Boy," the poor sheltered lad. Heck, he can't even tolerate some of my jokes, which in the grand scheme of thngs have to be relatively low on the "Blatantly-Distasteful-O-Meter"... (But I'm sure some of you would disagree. Image)

BTW, since the NGE manga has been already brought up a couple of times in the commentary, where are we going to explain the relation between the manga and the anime? My suggestion is that we let MDWigs handle that one, because he's the old respected fart the kids will listen. Image

At some point MDWigs suggested that, somewhere on the commentary page, we look at the various "outside sources" and note how "canon" they are, and such. This would probably be best suited to an appendix page, and there we can mention everything: The theatrical programs, the manga, Newtype stuff, etc.

(BTW, I think somewhere here would be a good place to make a comment about the size of Evas and how friggin huge they are compared to majority of other mechs.)

Since I don't know a THING about how big "other mechs" are, I can't help much here... I added a comment about the size issue and threw in something MDWigs posted here, but I'll leave it to someone else to mention them robots.

And about 329, Christ, I need to create another thread about that stinky little issue. Please stand by.

I look forward to it, being as my poor brain can't think of any explanation for the ejection chutes except maybe miniature wormhole technology or other variations on folding the fabric of space to get from one place to another unconventionally. Image

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:...actually, there's another that I don't think has been added yet...

Law of Reflective Omnipresence:

I think I mentioned this to you when I was loitering in the testing center yesterday -- you need to type up a little comment to introduce this particular new law, and maybe add a phony number to your new laws or something. And Dr. Nick had a point; you really ought to try making those laws real!

Anyway, nuff for one night...

Originally posted on: 17-Jun-2004, 07:15 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

Oh, leave me alone on this fan-service garbage, I can mess people and things up plenty as it is, just via my "innate wrongness." I don't need outside sources for THAT, thank you very much. Image

At some point MDWigs suggested that, somewhere on the commentary page, we look at the various "outside sources" and note how "canon" they are, and such.

Offhand, maybe we should ask EvaOtaku to do the specifics on the collectible cards and their info, since he seems to know a decent amount about them?

I look forward to it, being as my poor brain can't think of any explanation for the ejection chutes except maybe miniature wormhole technology or other variations on folding the fabric of space to get from one place to another unconventionally.

Actually, I thought up an idea on that...perhaps the Evas don't travel up through the geofront's open space, but the shafts are actaully located within its walls someplace. Perhaps Nerv HQ's underground (as in, below the pyramid and such) facilities, as well as the above-ground Tokyo-3, extend beyond the Geofront's rock walls, and the shafts to the surface were simply installed someplace within the rock there, which would mean that the cages would be someplce right below them...of course, this would mean that the Evas can't be deployed anywhere near the center of the city (or wherever it is that the geofront is under), but at least this could explain the presence of enclosed shafts...I'm sure someone here has specs on the area of the geofront as well as Tokyo-3,to see whether or not that would hold up...

...you need to type up a little comment to introduce this particular new law, and maybe add a phony number to your new laws or something. And Dr. Nick had a point; you really ought to try making those laws real!

The stuff you typed to introduce the faux law on the commentary page sounds fine to me, personally. As far as making the law "official," you or Dr. Nick can send it in if you want and take the credit for it, I'm really not enough of an anime aficionado to feel quite right about having my name up on such an "otaku-fied" list, heh.

Also, I have a few extra comments to add to the Ep. 1 commentary, if you want to take a look...

064: I also find it interesting that the explosion starts at the rear end of the missile, where the propulsion engine is: apparently there's nothing else explosive anyplace else in the missile, heh. "Eat high-velocity utterly empty capsule, villain!"

067: There's the ever-present hexagon, on the display screen in the back...maybe you could move some of my "hexagon" comments from later on in the episode to here, since this is the first place we see it (I think)...it's probably nothing too crucial though, since the "hexagon matrix" is a fairly common sci-fi motif, from what I've seen.

070: *in Mr. Burns voice* "Release the robotic Richard Simmons!"

084: This isn't for the commentary, but you'd earlier mentioned, Reichu, that you weren't sure what felineki meant by the "Chinese Theater" comment...you know that famous place in Hollywood where they have a bunch of hand- and footprints of various celebrities placed in the cement in front of a certain building? It's called "Someone's (I forget the exact name)Chinese Theater." Thus, by the end of the series, all the Angel footprints (for those with feet, anyways) have turned Tokyo-3 into a more grandiose version of that, heh.

103: This track, "Barefoot in the Park," in particular, always underscored the Eva soundtrack as very "retro" in its style in my view, in many places...seriously, this track belongs in the background of a 1950's sitcom or something. Of course, "Fly Me to the Moon" is an even more obvious example of this sort of thing, as is Misato's theme.

106: That being said, I wonder if any of the blissfully unaware citizens of Tokyo-3 ever wondered what the heck those giant mirrors were for...

148: Or, perhaps this is another instance of her having uncomfortable premonitions about just why Gendo would have wanted him there, as I mention for frame 207...you could probably re-arrange the wording to make 'em work...

169: Maybe it's the broadcast tower for the mega-popular KNRV, Radio Nerv, playing the latest hits 24/7, to make sure that the populace doesn't notice all the gigantic rampaging critters wandering around!

181: And it figures that she puts on a freakin' lab coat to make sure we never know for certain. By the way, Misato seems to be hiding the taped-together piece of paper from Ritsuko here...wonder why.

204: I wonder where the security camera is which captures Shinji's image for the background here...seeing as spies are able to sabotage Nerv later on, it would seem that such provisions are either lacking or easily compromised...also, maybe we ought to note that those same multiple screens are used much more dramatically at one point in the manga, while here they look to be more along the lines pf simple background filler.

217: Here Ritsuko's no-nonsense, ruthless side is hinted at...I can't say it's so for certain, but it seems like she using Misato's memories of her father and Second Impact (which have, more or less, controlled her life up to this point) as an emotional trump, to get her to agree with the idea of making Shinji pilot the Eva cold...I wouldn't think she'd be referring to the Eva's technical aspects, anyways, since Misato knows little about them...

238: Well, Lilith's part of the "collective 'we,'" isn't she? Image

249: I think he might be doing it again here: note the language, "unusable," he probably knows that that word will hurt Shinji a lot...and also makes sure to mention that Rei will "do it again," making it clear that she has already done this, while Shinji refuses to comply even once. Then, of course, he wheels her in...

254: In all honesty, I wonder whether they were even really planning on having Rei pilot, and really only intended to use her as a "living guilt trip" to get Shinji to agree to do it...

257: Maybe you could add the word "shapely" before "black silhouette" to make the comment even more effective, heh.

258: Again, as opposed to all those other anime girls who don't have perfect bodies? Image

316: Well, considering that the thing has a tendency to do stuff, often rather violent stuff, of its own initiative, and that its restraints do pretty much squadoo to actually restrain it...

329: Already mentioned this above, just figured mentioning the exact frame might be a faster reference for you if you wanted to add it...

337: You almost expect the Eva to jump up and down, feet smoking, once it gets to the surface, shouting "Owww! Hot! Hot! Ouch! Ooh! Owww!" Then, of course, it'll have to scramble to the nearest large body of water and jump in, and then sigh out a relieved "aahhhhh" as billowing steam rises from its feet.

Don't throw anything TOO heavy at me please, heh.

Originally posted on: 17-Jun-2004, 17:39 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”