Commentary: Episode #01

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:142 Of course, even when 100% complete NERV's "intercept system" has utterly no effect on the angels, and later against the JSSDF. You have to wonder why they even built the thing.

Why do we build nuclear shelters when in the event of a nuclear attack they would be pretty useless?

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 00:18 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:142 Of course, even when 100% complete NERV's "intercept system" has utterly no effect on the angels, and later against the JSSDF. You have to wonder why they even built the thing.

Having all that (useless) firepower is consistent with NERV's ostensible purpose of fighting the Angels, and serves to camouflage its true purpose (initiating HCP).

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 01:50 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Shin-seiki wrote:Having all that (useless) firepower is consistent with NERV's ostensible purpose of fighting the Angels, and serves to camouflage its true purpose (initiating HCP).

Not really. As soon as they fought Sachiel everyone knew they had the Eva's, and that conventional weapons were useless.

They could have had just as good a cover without them.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 01:51 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:Not really. As soon as they fought Sachiel everyone knew they had the Eva's, and that conventional weapons were useless.

They could have had just as good a cover without them.

I don't know, maybe it's just misinformation. The most succesful way to make people beleive that you're doing something is to do it. I'm not exactly sure why, but the Evangelions where a major secret to the public and everyone not deeply involved with the Angels. My guess would be that having these useless weapons serves to make people not as knowledgeable, lowers down, people in the Government regulating things, public people, all those groups, make them think that things are going on other than The EVAs that they aren't suposed to know about.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 01:57 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm

NakedEYE666 wrote:but the Evangelions where a major secret to the public and everyone not deeply involved with the Angels.

The details were, but the fact that they existed could hardly be secret.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 01:58 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby NakedEYE666 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Sharp-kun wrote:The details were, but the fact that they existed could hardly be secret.

Is it just me, or was that post extremely fast?

Anyway, I don't know anything. I wouldn't be suprised if there was a serious attempt made to hide any knowledge of the EVA's existance from others. And even if the EVAs existance is known, you could still spread misinformation about them. If the EVAs are the ONLY defense/attack system that Nerv has for the Angels, you can bet people are going to be trying to find out as much information as the can, and as to how these things have more power than the UN and all that other stuff.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 02:01 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Well, this is (on the surface, at any rate) an action-oriented anime; one can never have too many guns, missiles, and explosions...

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 02:05 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm

I think most people in T3 worked for NERV in some manner anyway.

Why else would the kids at the school think Shinji may have been a pilot?

How do they know that the robot they only saw once even has a pilot and why would they suspect a kid being that pilot if they didn't have further information from their parents (or fathers I should say)?

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 02:10 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Well, Kensuke's a mad hacker.... Image

At any rate, I think they where trying to keep it secret to some degree. When Shinji saw EVA Misato remarked that he wouldn't find it in the manual.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 02:14 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

It was a bit ridiculous.

Wow someone new in the class. I wonder if he's the pilot of a robot.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 02:29 GMT

NakedEYE666 [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

I ask that question all the time. One time this new kid came and he was sitting behind him, and I was like "Hey man, you injured my sister!" and I punched him.

Anyway, I don't remember the events of the episode completely, maybe it was ridiculous, but I think the connection was that right when the robot comes Shinji appears new in the class. That still doesn't make much sense, since it could have just as easily been one of the other kids, like Rei except for the bandages.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 02:39 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

NakedEYE666 wrote:Anyway, I don't remember the events of the episode completely, maybe it was ridiculous, but I think the connection was that right when the robot comes Shinji appears new in the class. That still doesn't make much sense, since it could have just as easily been one of the other kids, like Rei except for the bandages.

Why would they assume that it had a pilot at all?

Why on earth would they imagine that a 14 year old kid would be piloting it?

If an airbase was opened near your school and simultaneously a bunch of new kids moved in you wouldn't just assume that they were connected to the base and you definately wouldn't assume that they were pilots.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 02:58 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Ark wrote:Why on earth would they imagine that a 14 year old kid would be piloting it?

Because in Japan, giant things that look like robots are always piloted, usually by sub-adults. That's the real reason JA didn't take off -- pilotting a giant robot by remote control just isn't cool.

Washu-chan wrote:I don't understand that hand. Its not EVA-01 cause her hand is down at her side. and EVA-00, one hand is in a wall and the other is down at her side but both are bunched into fists...

Correction -- one hand is going through the wall. She runs out of power shortly after she punches through the wall, but there's no reason to think that her hand is still being clenched. The hand in episode #01 is EVA-00's.

And the public certainly knew about the Evas, considering how Shiro Tokita showed off a newspaper article of Yui-sama's episode #02 'berserk' incident. "It's just like a hysterical woman!"

BTW, NakedEYE, are you going to comment anytime? You're one of the long-time regulars, so it would be rather odd if you didn't. Image

I have all of the screenshots I need for episode #01 now (courtesy of Shin-seiki and Sharp-kun). The second half of the ep will open for commentary soon-ish. (But expect a SIGNIFICANT wait for episode #02. I haven't even started typing up the Japanese script for that monster. ARGH.)

And maybe I'll actually get to post the rest of my own comments sometime... :nervous laughter: At the moment, though, I need to read Psychology. At least now I know where "Oral Stage" and "Pleasure Principle" originally came from. (Nothing about "destrudo", though. Cheapskates.)

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 10:47 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm

The hand looks purple though. And there is liquids (LCL I guess) around it so they shuold seep into the room where EVA-00's body is.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 12:57 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:I have all of the screenshots I need for episode #01 now (courtesy of Shin-seiki and Sharp-kun). The second half of the ep will open for commentary soon-ish. (But expect a SIGNIFICANT wait for episode #02. I haven't even started typing up the Japanese script for that monster. ARGH.)

I assume you found them then Image Once I get my hosting back (next Friday), it'll be easier.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 13:00 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Washu-chan wrote:The hand looks purple though. And there is liquids (LCL I guess) around it so they shuold seep into the room where EVA-00's body is.

It's just the lighting. Zerogouki's hands are covered in a cool grey-colored material, hence why they look "purple" in that shot. The hand itself is not immersed in a liquid -- it's protruding out from the exterior surface of the tank...

...which is pink-red in color, as seen in C190:

Sharp-kun wrote:I assume you found them then Image Once I get my hosting back (next Friday), it'll be easier.

Heh heh, that I did. (Thanks, BTW! Image )

Once you get your hosting back? Out of curiosity, what happened to it?

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 14:00 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Reichu wrote:Once you get your hosting back? Out of curiosity, what happened to it?

I am but a poor student. One month the money was needed elsewhere, so it was allowed to expire Image

I have more money now, so I can restore it Image

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 14:05 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Reichu wrote:Because in Japan, giant things that look like robots are always piloted, usually by sub-adults. That's the real reason JA didn't take off -- pilotting a giant robot by remote control just isn't cool.

*snerk*

You know, I always did wonder if the kids at school flocked to Shinji for information about the "robot incident" because they were thinking "anime". Image

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 15:55 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Reichu wrote:It's just the lighting. Zerogouki's hands are covered in a cool grey-colored material, hence why they look "purple" in that shot. The hand itself is not immersed in a liquid -- it's protruding out from the exterior surface of the tank...

...which is pink-red in color, as seen in C190:

Heh heh, that I did. (Thanks, BTW! Image )

Once you get your hosting back? Out of curiosity, what happened to it?

Oh now I get it. I always thought that was an LCL tank. Not a wall. Thanks.

Originally posted on: 03-Jun-2004, 22:41 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:11 pm

Well, minna-san, Part B is now finito! Enjoy. And, er, I'll start actually incorporating the comments into the actual page ... someday. These things take time.

ADDENDUM: I'm probably going to continue putting off my comments while I translate some stuff that's lying around... There's a bumload of material (mostly on the techie aspects of NERV/Tokyo-3 and its Eva-related operations) in Newtype 100% and Adam Photo File that could potentially be exceptionally useful.

Originally posted on: 04-Jun-2004, 13:56 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”