Commentary: Episode #01

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Washu-chan wrote:lol

Reichu you really think that frame is necessary?

What, the "tsuzuku"? I've bothered including the Eyecatches -- can't forget the "To Be Continued"! It's an integral part of each episode! Image

As for your question, Washu-chan, I took the four semesters of Japanese available at my current two-year school. (There will be more at RIT, where I'm being shipped come September.) Most of what I know of the language, though, comes from dabbling with translation, mostly various video game and anime-related things. As it goes, I couldn't hold a conversation with a Japanese person to save my life. Here's an example:

"A-ano... Watashi no nihongo wa... mottomo warui desu ne... A-a-a... Kaiwa ga dekimasen..? Kyou wa sora ga motto aoi da na!! A-hahahaha!! Kono tsugi mo, SAABISU-chou wa yo!"

And a 'translation':

"Ummm... My Japanese is... extremely bad, isn't it... Uhhhh... I can't conversation...? [i.e., broken Japanese] The sky sure is blue today isn't it!! <nervous> Next time, there'll be lots of service!"

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 14:41 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

O good its open at last! I can now begin rewatching the series! See you in a half hour!

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 15:32 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

tv33 wrote:I don't know, I think Shinji's plug suit make his upper body look more buff. The females fit tightly around the form of there body, but Shinji's has a more bulky plastic looking thing around the chest area then the other two.

Yeah, I was thinking of the "armor" on the upper part of the male plug suit, too. Although, since that has a mechanical look to it, and it is a male character, I'm assuming it wasn't there for "service" purposes, and just part of the design.

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 16:53 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Incisivis wrote:...and it is a male character, I'm assuming it wasn't there for "service" purposes, and just part of the design.

Does NGE ever even use males for "service" purposes at all? :wonders if there are any examples of such in other anime:

BTW, Amanda, are you planning to chip in your 2 cents at some point? Image

I have a bumload of stuff to add myself, but between finishing Part B, continuing work on the OP and research, appendices, and all of the other crap I have to do, it'll probably take a while. :sigh:

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 17:08 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Reichu wrote:As for your question, Washu-chan, I took the four semesters of Japanese available at my current two-year school. (There will be more at RIT, where I'm being shipped come September.)

I have a friend who goes to RIT...

Reichu wrote:Does NGE ever even use males for "service" purposes at all?

What about Kaworu? Like that shower scene was absolutely necessary. Image

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 17:48 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

c009:
This shot reminds me of a famous painting (sorry Reichu, can't recall by whom... but hey, you're the one going to art school Image), that included an enigmatic figure in the distance, running across a deserted street.

BTW, could that running figure be Shinji? Scenario: Shinji arrives at the train station, Misato isn't there waiting for him; he gets spooked by the emergency declaration, and goes looking for a pay-phone to see what's up with her. She arrives at the station after he left, and we first see her driving thru town, looking for him ("Why did I have to lose him now..."). Then we see him at the pay-phone, where, in short order, he meets Rei, Sachiel, and, just in the nick of time, Misato.

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 19:11 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

c108:
This cut is a good place to make a point about how loose ADV's translation was at times.

The Literal Translation Project has Misato's line thus:
Misato:
Boring kid. Your expression's blank, so unsuited to your pretty face.

Here is A2000A's Renewal fansub:
Misato:
Boring boy! You look so calm, despite your pretty face.

And our own Reichu came up with:
Misato:
Don't be so boring; it doesn't suit a cute kid like you.

I would say that all three of those seem reasonably similar takes...
However, here's what ADV managed to come up with;
Subtitles:
Misato:
Don't get snotty. You're not as cute as I thought you were.

and Dub:
Misato:
You're no fun! You know, you're not as cute as I thought you were.

Am I nit-picking? Maybe, but I think that people should be aware that what they're seeing or hearing from ADV sometimes strays pretty far from the the sense and meaning of the original Japanese.

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 21:10 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Reichu wrote:What, the "tsuzuku"? I've bothered including the Eyecatches -- can't forget the "To Be Continued"! It's an integral part of each episode! Image

As for your question, Washu-chan, I took the four semesters of Japanese available at my current two-year school. (There will be more at RIT, where I'm being shipped come September.) Most of what I know of the language, though, comes from dabbling with translation, mostly various video game and anime-related things. As it goes, I couldn't hold a conversation with a Japanese person to save my life. Here's an example:

"A-ano... Watashi no nihongo wa... mottomo warui desu ne... A-a-a... Kaiwa ga dekimasen..? Kyou wa sora ga motto aoi da na!! A-hahahaha!! Kono tsugi mo, SAABISU-chou wa yo!"

And a 'translation':

"Ummm... My Japanese is... extremely bad, isn't it... Uhhhh... I can't conversation...? [i.e., broken Japanese] The sky sure is blue today isn't it!! Next time, there'll be lots of service!"

Cool thanks. I didn't know anyone here took Japanese.

Originally posted on: 31-May-2004, 22:07 GMT

Gundampilotspaz [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Gundampilotspaz [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

008 - Old Tokyo perhaps?

020 - I laugh every time I see this because Misato would do something like that. Its a good look at her character before we even have a chance to pass judgement on her. And I'm sure Shinji come to the same conclusion as we did.

Breasts are a big importance in NGE. From just looking at the plugsuits to Asuka's and Misato's actions. I would tie it into being a symbol for a mother. Shinji's mother, and every characters mother plays an important part in the series. There even is a picture of Shinji at, or near, his mothers Breast in Episode 18.

022 - The first time I saw the series I said "WTF" to this image, and I still do everytime I see it. The only thing I can say is foreshadowing. But it can mean more then that. Shinji's mother watching over him, for one. But I have found nothing to back that up.

095 - I love the look on his face here, he looks like he just sat on something sharp.

103 - I love this like internal monologe that Misato has. Once again showing some of her personality. But the important fact that comes out of this is she is hiding her feelings from Shinji. When she turns to Shinji in the next frame she puts a mig smile on. This really is setting up this fact about Misato very early.

129 - They're speaking of the angle as if it were a weapon. This Dialoge sounds so cold.

133 -
The years at the spring;
The day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hill-side's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn:
God's in his heaven...
All's right with the world!
- Robert Browning

136 - No pressure Gendo!

146 - Talking about another living being very coldly. First the angel, and now his own son!

Originally posted on: 01-Jun-2004, 01:56 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

tv33 wrote:I have a friend who goes to RIT...

Really? What does (s)he think about the school?

What about Kaworu? Like that shower scene was absolutely necessary. Image

Hmm, yeah... I forgot about that one. Depending on how you look at it, though, the combination of Kaworu's philosophizing and the fact that both of them are naked (i.e., 'stripped of all defenses', or whatever) makes it a pretty integral scene. That is, not completely servicey the way that butt or cleavage shots usually are. (Then again, as Shin-seiki's demonstrated, there is a bit more to the boob shots in NGE than first meets the eye.)

Shin-seiki wrote:c009:
This shot reminds me of a famous painting (sorry Reichu, can't recall by whom... but hey, you're the one going to art school Image), that included an enigmatic figure in the distance, running across a deserted street.

Heh, I'm not going to Art School per se, but I am studying art in school -- slight difference. Image At any rate, I'm a bit behind on my art history, regrettably, so I can't say I've seen the piece you're referring to. Guess we'll all just have to keep our eyes open for it.

BTW, could that running figure be Shinji? Scenario: Shinji arrives at the train station, Misato isn't there waiting for him; he gets spooked by the emergency declaration, and goes looking for a pay-phone to see what's up with her. She arrives at the station after he left, and we first see her driving thru town, looking for him ("Why did I have to lose him now..."). Then we see him at the pay-phone, where, in short order, he meets Rei, Sachiel, and, just in the nick of time, Misato.

That is an idea... Except, when we see Shinji, he has a large tote with him, which is not evident in the running figure. Aside from that problem, I like your theory; I was always wondering why Shinji was waiting for Misato at some random pay phone...

Shin-seiki wrote:c108:
This cut is a good place to make a point about how loose ADV's translation was at times.

Here's her line in Japanese:

"Tsumannai no. KAWAII kao shite igai to ochitsuite 'n no ne."

But I'll profess that I couldn't make complete sense of that. Image; (But literally, she is saying "cute face" (kawaii kao).) I did notice how off ADV's translation was, and I tried to come up with something that was more accurate without sounding completely unnatural in English. Hope ya'll don't mind.

Am I nit-picking? Maybe, but I think that people should be aware that what they're seeing or hearing from ADV sometimes strays pretty far from the the sense and meaning of the original Japanese.

This is certainly true. In this way, I guess that fact that I'm going through the original Japanese dialogue and comparing it to a couple of available translations isn't a COMPLETE waste of time.

Originally posted on: 01-Jun-2004, 04:43 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Reichu wrote:Really? What does (s)he think about the school?

Last time I check he liked it (I haven't talked to him in about a year.) Though I have a feeling he liked the social life more then the classes. Or maybe he just never talked to me about his classes because I would have no what he was talking about, seeing as he is some sort computer network major or something...

I went there awhile ago; it seemed like a nice school. Though I think I saw one woman the entire time I was there, so you should have your of the litter. Image

050- He almost seems to be enjoying it...

074- Interesting camera angle...

Originally posted on: 01-Jun-2004, 05:17 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Well I have to wait a whole week to get the dvds so I'll just sit out (aside from my earlier comments). Maybe Ill check an art archive for that painting.

Since we are talking about school...(sorta). The ALT (alternitive language teacher) told me that when I get back to america and finish high school, I can take 1 year of college in America and after that (along with discussions with the school) I would be able to transfer to a college in Japan. He says since I wanna be a teacher it would be easier for me as Japan wants foreign teacher to help bring foreign ideas into the school system (which actually sucks a bit. The students learn a lot but thats about all). So later this year Im gonna start looking at universities in Japan. My host father says that Kagoshima is a good university that specializes in teaching.

I just wanted to tell someone. I sure as hell ain't tellin' my biological mom, who's crazy enough as it is.

Originally posted on: 01-Jun-2004, 12:41 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Reichu wrote:Does NGE ever even use males for "service" purposes at all? :wonders if there are any examples of such in other anime:

Edit: Damn, TV33 already mentioned the bath scene. I guess I'll follow Rachel up on her comments:

Hmm, yeah... I forgot about that one. Depending on how you look at it, though, the combination of Kaworu's philosophizing and the fact that both of them are naked (i.e., 'stripped of all defenses', or whatever) makes it a pretty integral scene. That is, not completely servicey the way that butt or cleavage shots usually are. (Then again, as Shin-seiki's demonstrated, there is a bit more to the boob shots in NGE than first meets the eye.)

Well, there's no saying it can't be symbolic and servicey. Image The gals have to take what they can get, after all. And given the number of fangirls devoted to shounen anime boys, I'd say the lack of service doesn't hamper them as much as you might think.

BTW, Amanda, are you planning to chip in your 2 cents at some point? Image

Yes. I have the notes ready, I just need to compose them. They are mostly character-related observations and some randomness, though

But I'm afraid I haven't been following up this thread as much as I should. Can someone explain to me what this numbering system is all about? Which script are we using, LTP, Reichu's or ADV's subs?

Originally posted on: 01-Jun-2004, 16:21 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Incisivis wrote:But I'm afraid I haven't been following up this thread as much as I should. Can someone explain to me what this numbering system is all about? Which script are we using, LTP, Reichu's or ADV's subs?

The numbering system reflects the numbers given to each cut in the original Japanese script. A "cut", here, is a way of "dividing the reel" (so to speak). It usually refers to a constant segment of footage. If the camera changes, that tends to imply that one cut has ended and another has begun. IMO, the cut numbers provide a very useful framework to lay everything on top of, plus the numbers are a handy, concise way to refer to a specific part of the episode.

The script is a 'pseudotranslation' of the Japanese script. The scene descriptions (in italics) are essentially based on the scene descriptions from the script. Sometimes I omit information (if it's either redundant or I can't figure out what the Japanese says) and the translation is oftentimes 'loose' (i.e., I do a lot of rewriting) but hopefully relates the same idea as the original.

The dialogue is based on my evaluation of the original Japanese, with any previously done translations I have available used as reference. (For episode #01, I'm using the ADV DVD subtitles and the Literal Translation Project.) The final 'script' is sort of a mishmash of ADV's subtitles and the LTP, with some Reichu modifications here and there.

Originally posted on: 02-Jun-2004, 00:53 GMT

Incisivis [ANF]
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

All right, thanks for putting up with my laziness. Image

However, as I'm trying to modify my thoughts to coresspond with the format of others' in this thread, I realize that a lot of my thoughts can't be divided into 1st half vs 2nd half, and instead depend on the episode as a whole, or at least on connecting two or more scenes that may be in different halves of the episode.

I think...I'll post my final thoughts when the green light is given to work on the second half of the episode, too.

Originally posted on: 02-Jun-2004, 22:08 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Has anyone noticed the hand in the background that Shin, Mis and Rits go past on that lift? It was in Purple liquid.

Originally posted on: 02-Jun-2004, 22:32 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

I don't understand that hand. Its not EVA-01 cause her hand is down at her side. and EVA-00, one hand is in a wall and the other is down at her side but both are bunched into fists...

Originally posted on: 02-Jun-2004, 22:51 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

142 Of course, even when 100% complete NERV's "intercept system" has utterly no effect on the angels, and later against the JSSDF. You have to wonder why they even built the thing.

Originally posted on: 02-Jun-2004, 22:57 GMT

Sharp-kun [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sharp-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

Washu-chan wrote:I don't understand that hand. Its not EVA-01 cause her hand is down at her side. and EVA-00, one hand is in a wall and the other is down at her side but both are bunched into fists...

A spare? One of the simulation bodies?

Originally posted on: 02-Jun-2004, 22:57 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

oh yeh I forgot about the simultion bodies. Probably that as their hands are splayed out like that.

Originally posted on: 02-Jun-2004, 23:15 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”