Commentary: Fly Me To The Moon

Notable old Evangelion threads from the AnimeNation Forums are preserved here.

Moderators: Monk Ed, Ornette

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:30 am

"Fly Me To The Moon"

(ED Animator: Masayuki
Crappy GIF: Who do you think? Image)

Composition & Lyrics by Bart Howard
Arrangement: Toshiyuki Oomori
Vocal: (varies)

Fly me to the moon
And let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars
In other words, hold my hand
In other words, darling kiss me

Fill my heart with song
And let me sing forevermore
You are all I long for
All I worship and adore
In other words, please be true
In other words, I love you

Although, as thewayneiac pointed out here:

This song also has an intro that most singers, including Sinatra, don't bother singing. (Perry Como included it in his version):

-intro-
Poets often use many words to say a simple thing.
It takes thought and rhyme to make a poem sing.
With words and with music I've been playing.
For you I have written this song.
To make sure you understand what I'm saying.
I'll translate as I go along...

(On a pointless side note, Hikaru Utada includes the verse in her version, as well. Not that I listen to her stuff... My ears are for Maaya Sakamoto and Akino Arai. Image )

Some additional background info:
- Short article about the song
- Article on Bart Howard

And, as we all know, FMTTM is NGE's ED ("ending", not "androgynous-looking 1337 hax0r chick who get along very well with a genetically-engineered Welsh Corgy"). It's particularly infamous for using so many dadgum renditions of the same song, which I have compiled here. It's sad how long that took me to do, it really is. Image

Changing less often than the version of FMTTM used is the color scheme. Image links! Yay! Here, I should just point out something I somehow didn't notice until I made the crappy animation above -- the moon is actually rising throughout the course of the credits (so making a perfectly fluid GIF is impossible)!

- The default, blue (moon in starting position)
- Blue again (moon in ending position)
- Blue (with telop)
- Red (for episodes #08 and #09, but, strangely, not #10)
- Black and white (for #19)
- Black and white again, with pinkish-purple telop
- Orange (from the Renewal DVD credits)

As to why Anno chose this song for NGE, I have no idea. This is probably illuminated upon somewhere, though...

And for whatever reason, I always liked the observation Stuffman offered back here as to why FMTTM "works":

Believe it or not, I've always been under the impression that "FMttM" is a surprisingly good fit into Eva's soundtrack, not only in terms of its evocations, but its musical style as well...this is only my opinion, of course, but I've always perceived Eva's soundtrack as rather "retrospective" in nature, and possessing several similarities to songs from the Sinatra/Big Band era. For instance, listen to "Misato," "Barefoot in the Park," or "Waking Up in the Morning," as well as others: those just ooze 40's-50's "lounge" sounds. Many other tracks, while not as obviously influenced by the era, still have a decidedly "symphonic" feel to them, while rather few "modern"-sounding tunes are found on the entire soundtrack. Again, others might disagree with my perceptions, but that's always been the way I've been inclined to hear Eva's music as a whole, and from that perspective I tend to think of "Fly Me" as a decent fit.

Phew, that's enough from me tonight... Anchors aweigh, commentator-people!

Originally posted on: 18-Aug-2004, 06:28 GMT

The Eva Monkey [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:30 am

Aside from the ending theme complimenting well with the existing music, it also (when coupled with the imagery in the ending animation) plays upon the correlation between Rei and the moon. The moon is considered a symbol for destiny, but more importantly, Rei will eventually collect the souls into her moon in the Third Impact. This is very similar to the old folklore of a the moon travelling across the night sky, filling with the souls of the dead, refferring to the waxing and waning of the moon.

Some would criticise this ending animation for being dull and generic, but there is something striking about animating something as simple as a moon moving across a sky. Not to mention that it is the precursor to the sun setting ending animation for Death and Rebirth, which is arguably one of the most beautiful ending sequences in anime.

Originally posted on: 18-Aug-2004, 07:30 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:30 am

I don't know what I can say about this song for the credits. It fits but its kinda hard to find words to form a reason. Ill sleep on it...

Originally posted on: 18-Aug-2004, 11:38 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:30 am

Well, let's take a look at the various visual components of the Series ED.

The Moon is, of course, linked visually to Rei repeatedly throughout the series.

This may be intended as a subtle, but persistent, hint at Rei's origin and true nature, as we are told that the Moon was formed during the First, or "Giant" Impact four billion years ago, and later, it is suggested that First Impact correlates with the arrival of the Seeds of Life (i.e. the White Moon of Adam, and the Black Moon of Lilith, which are the first and second "Geo-Fronts" in Antartica and Hakone, Japan, respectively) on Earth.

The background image of moonlight on water (from an underwater perspective) brings to mind the words of Ritsuko in #23:
" Light and Water, which make up Rei's deep mentality,
reflect the image of this place."

The image of water and moon also may also portend the way things turn out in the end:

Note how here, they are at once both 'underwater' and 'on the moon':

Finally, there is Rei herself; I don't attach any particular meaning to her being upside-down, I figure its more for compositional purposes than anything else. Similarly, she is rotating to make the otherwise static image more visually interesting. I tend to connect in my mind the image of Rei here with this shot from Ep25' AIR... I know, I know, she's not upside down in that one, but that is easily corrected:
Image Image

Originally posted on: 18-Aug-2004, 13:50 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:30 am

Shin-seiki wrote:I don't attach any particular meaning to her being upside-down, I figure its more for compositional purposes than anything else. Similarly, she is rotating to make the otherwise static image more visually interesting.

In all honesty, you're probably right about that, but having hung around this forum for so long I can't quite leave it at that without an interjection...just from a personal perspective, the upside-down bit gives me the impression that Rei (or her image, anyways) in this sequence has no control whatsoever over what's going on, as if she's trapped in some sort of free fall...if the sequence was flipped over right-side up, it'd look (at least to me) more as if she was acending upwards. Somehow I can't help but think of EoE, wherein Rei con Lilith at first ascends up into the atmosphere someplace, but in the end coms plummeting back down to Earth...a bit too far-fetched to be very plausible though.

However, I DO have to make a reference to the OP sequence, in which Rei and Asuka's silhouettes are seen ascending/descending on opposite sides of the screen, with Shinji in the background:

Same idea as the ending sequence, but Rei's silhouette is the one moving upwards...perhaps the opening is an (very) obscure reference to her eventual "ascension," while the ending is an (very) obscure reference to her "fall?" Shin-Seiki's idea that it was just put there for the heck of it probably has a lot more merit than this, but since no one had mentioned it yet I figured I might as well...

Originally posted on: 18-Aug-2004, 18:48 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:30 am

-intro-
Poets often use many words to say a simple thing.
It takes thought and rhyme to make a poem sing.
With words and with music I've been playing.
For you I have written this song.
To make sure you understand what I'm saying.
I'll translate as I go along...

This intro sort of makes the song make more sense: the, "In other words", parts are the singer translating as he goes along.

The Eva Monkey wrote:but more importantly, Rei will eventually collect the souls into her moon in the Third Impact.

Yes, the choice of this song indicates that they already knew what all those little red dots would be doing during 3I.

Originally posted on: 18-Aug-2004, 19:11 GMT

Ark [ANF]
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ark [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:However, I DO have to make a reference to the OP sequence, in which Rei and Asuka's silhouettes are seen ascending/descending on opposite sides of the screen, with Shinji in the background:

Also in that bit Shinji looks towards Asuka and smiles just as the lyrics say "You look at me and smile" or something like that.

Originally posted on: 18-Aug-2004, 21:39 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am

Ark wrote:Also in that bit Shinji looks towards Asuka and smiles just as the lyrics say "You look at me and smile" or something like that.

This was pointed out by MDWigs in the OP Commentary, actually.

The first track on the Evangelion "ADDITION" album is a version of "Cruel Angel's Thesis" sung by Misato, Asuka and Rei. (I think it's supposed to have been sung in character; of course, the actual singers are their respective voice actors.) A while ago I matched the lyrics to the vocalist. What's interesting is that Asuka sings the line "You merely smile and gaze only at me" (Watashi dake o tada mitsumete, hohoenderu anata) right as Shinji turns to face her and smiles. Cue big Shinji & Asuka Vs. Shinji & Rei debate. In my mind, Shinji and Asuka were always meant to be a couple. I think Gainax (and particularly Anno) had that idea from the onset.

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:just from a personal perspective, the upside-down bit gives me the impression that Rei (or her image, anyways) in this sequence has no control whatsoever over what's going on, as if she's trapped in some sort of free fall...if the sequence was flipped over right-side up, it'd look (at least to me) more as if she was acending upwards. However, I DO have to make a reference to the OP sequence, in which Rei and Asuka's silhouettes are seen ascending/descending on opposite sides of the screen, with Shinji in the background:

Also worth pointing out are these two sequences, from #14 and #25 respectively:

#14, C017

Image Image

Image Image

I am myself. This body is myself.
The shape formed by me.
The me that eyes see. But it does not feel like me. Very strange.
The feeling of my body melting away.
I can no longer find myself.
My form is fading away.
I feel a person who isn't me.
Who is there? (blink) Beyond this?

#25, C143

Image Image

Rei 3 (OFF/right): "The shape of my current self is being formed through my contact with other people."

Rei 2 (OFF/left) "My interaction with people and the flow of time change the shape of my mind."

Also in the above two sequences, we find the image of the moon and water...

#14, C014

People are what? Something created by a God?
Are people something created by people?
The things I possess are my life. My mind.
The vessel of the mind. Entry plug.
It is the throne of a soul.

...or just the moon itself.

#25, C164

Rei 2 "You can't return to nothing."

Ah, correlations, correlations... This grasshopper has learned much from Shin-seiki-sensei. Image

FULL ED

And just for the heck of it, here are some screencaps from the FULL ED off the TEST TYPE DVD. If you haven't seen this, you honestly aren't missing much... It's more interesting than the original ending, but it's still a glorified screensaver for diehard Ayanami fanboys. The real treat is when a Giant Naked Rei spirals downward across the screen, perfectly in synch with her small silhouette counterpart. It's a very nice bit of animation, and Shin-seiki can vouche for its hypnotic effect on the typical human male. Image

Shadow-Rei and the moon

Giant Naked Rei caps:
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ig-rei-03x.jpg
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ig-rei-09x.jpg
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ig-rei-12x.jpg
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ig-rei-18x.jpg
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ig-rei-24x.jpg
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ig-rei-30x.jpg
And still as pubically androgynous as ever!
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ig-rei-44x.jpg

Rei in her natural habitat, the coral reefs (Where's a cameo from the cast of "Finding Nemo" when you need it?)
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ed_reef02x.jpg
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ed_reef03x.jpg
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ed_reef06x.jpg
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ed_reef12x.jpg
http://www.avians.net/rkc/14daughter...ed_reef14x.jpg

Originally posted on: 18-Aug-2004, 23:35 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am

OH now I wanna buy that dvd. It is only like 2000 yen. But I still have to get the last 3 dvd's in the R2 set.

Oh and Revival too.

Originally posted on: 19-Aug-2004, 02:15 GMT

Shin-seiki [ANF]
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am

Reichu wrote:FULL ED

And just for the heck of it, here are some screencaps from the FULL ED off the TEST TYPE DVD. If you haven't seen this, you honestly aren't missing much... It's more interesting than the original ending, but it's still a glorified screensaver for diehard Ayanami fanboys. The real treat is when a Giant Naked Rei spirals downward across the screen, perfectly in synch with her small silhouette counterpart. It's a very nice bit of animation, and Shin-seiki can vouche for its hypnotic effect on the typical human male. Image

I dunno that I would call that a Giant Naked Rei; isn't that more like Close-up Naked Rei?....

"This is the coolest thing that I have ever seen! Uh, huh huh huh! She's like naked, and stuff..."

Is the coral reef just Rei's habitat? It seems that at the end of the series (as opposed to the movie) it's where everyone ends up.

Originally posted on: 19-Aug-2004, 03:29 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am

Check out that nose! Give her some tarot cards and a big gym bag and she will look like someone else I know...

Anyway, I don't think the song has much significant to the series as far the lyrics go; it's rather "mushy" for a series like Eva. It does sound nice though (Some of them anyway), and has become closely associated with the series for anime fans. The images on the other hand are fitting, and help reinforces the whole Rei/Moon thing as has been pointed out.

Originally posted on: 19-Aug-2004, 04:36 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am

Shin-seiki wrote:I dunno that I would call that a Giant Naked Rei; isn't that more like Close-up Naked Rei?....

Y'know, I was always under the impression that it was "RNR" (or "CUNR" as you seem to have coined) that we were looking at in this sort of sequence, but now that I look at it, the Rei pictured here does have that "entirely pale" color scheme that Rei doesn't obtain until she's "Lilith-ified." It's impossible to say for sure which Rei was intended to be seen here (or if the animators even really cared), but the possibility that it's actually the "giant" Rei we're looking at is kind of interesting, at least I think so.

Is the coral reef just Rei's habitat? It seems that at the end of the series (as opposed to the movie) it's where everyone ends up.

Well, it might even be as such in the movie, since (almost) everyone ends up (at least temporarily) dissolved into the ocean...I'm sure there's probably still coral down there someplace, even though the "water" ain't quite what it used to be...

Originally posted on: 20-Aug-2004, 02:05 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:Y'know, I was always under the impression that it was "RNR" (or "CUNR" as you seem to have coined) that we were looking at in this sort of sequence, but now that I look at it, the Rei pictured here does have that "entirely pale" color scheme that Rei doesn't obtain until she's "Lilith-ified." It's impossible to say for sure which Rei was intended to be seen here (or if the animators even really cared), but the possibility that it's actually the "giant" Rei we're looking at is kind of interesting, at least I think so.

When I used "GNR" to refer to the close-up, I only really meant that she was Giant in comparison to the silhouette-Rei, and that's all there really was to it. I wasn't feeling clever enough at the time to coin a new acronym.

Well, it might even be as such in the movie, since (almost) everyone ends up (at least temporarily) dissolved into the ocean...I'm sure there's probably still coral down there someplace, even though the "water" ain't quite what it used to be...

Now this I have to wonder about... How would be people end up being dissolved in the ocean? When they went splat, the LCL that composed them would just be lying wherever they had last been. And if those infamous trees are any indication, you can probably just instantly reembody from the LCL that you came from soon as you're ready. (Unless those trees crawled out of Japan's bloodied seas and made their way to Japan's countryside before GNR had a chance to fall apart...)

But that said, I am still somewhat mystified by Rei's comments in #26'...

Rei:
This is the sea of LCL... The primordial soup of life.
A world without AT Fields... without your own shape.
An ambiguous world where it is impossible to tell where you end and other people start.
A fragile world where you exist everywhere, and thus exist nowhere.

Is this "Sea of LCL" an actual physical place? What is it supposed to refer to? The phenomenon of Instrumentality is not limited to just one place, after all. Shinji, Rei, and Kaworu are all inside GNR, and everyone else is in the Black Moon, yet they are all still connected in the same "world without AT Fields". LCL is merely the material that had former their bodies, which most of the participant souls no longer have. Why call it a "Sea of LCL"?

Originally posted on: 20-Aug-2004, 02:28 GMT

HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF]
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby HeWhoPostsStuff [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:31 am

Heh heh, I had a feeling I'd probably made a boo-boo somewhere in there...in any case, in order for you to set me straight on this one, I might as well attmept to lay out my derailed train of thought...

The thing that got me to believe that people's souls were floating around in the ocean back down on Earth was the "transformation" of the ocean's water in EoE, when it was turned red, similarly to that of Antarctica during 2I, as the world's souls were vacuumed up into the black moon:

I don't know why, but somehow I equated the red stuff left behind there as some sort of rough equivalent to LCL, even though the coloration is different...in any case, after Lilith-Rei springs a few leaks and the black moon becomes a volatile disco ball, all the souls float back down to Earth, and I can only assume that they all end up in the ocean someplace, seeing as that's where Shinji's physical form resurfaces from...perhaps the red stuff in the ocean is similar to whatever "blood" was flowing through Lilith-Rei (and possibly the black moon, since before it bursts open it almost appears to "bleed"), which can serve as a liquid "preservative" of sorts for souls separated from their physical forms, and can allow souls with the "will to return" to gain them back? There are probably a multitude of proven errors present in the above, but however much I need to be verbally whalloped in order to set em straight on this, fire away.

As for the trees, I'm still not 100 percent convinced that 3I involved every living critter on the Earth, instead of just humans...after all, what kind of "will" could a tree or the like possess in order to regain its original form? But that' another topic...

Originally posted on: 20-Aug-2004, 16:18 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 am

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:As for the trees, I'm still not 100 percent convinced that 3I involved every living critter on the Earth, instead of just humans...after all, what kind of "will" could a tree or the like possess in order to regain its original form? But that' another topic...

I think I linked to this recently in another thread, but I might as well repeat it again here:
thewayneiac wrote:I think the idea of showing the trees as Rei's head tumbles towards the Earth is that they came back first. To a non-thinking life form, the will to survive would be its genetic programming to grow and propagate. In other words, plants and trees wouldn't have an actual decision to make, so they would come back all at once the instant that the anti at-field ceased. The more the life form relies upon instinct rather than reasoning, the sooner it will be reembodied, so the lower animals would come next, and then the more intelligent ones. Humans, the only ones who would have a RATIONAL decision to make would come dead last. (And not all at once.)

Originally posted on: 20-Aug-2004, 19:40 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 am

Its a belief of the christian religion that only humans posses souls. Maybe its the same for Eva.

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2004, 00:12 GMT

thewayneiac [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 am

Keisuke-kun wrote:Its a belief of the christian religion that only humans posses souls. Maybe its the same for Eva.

Then why is Pen Pen is the congratulations scene?

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2004, 00:25 GMT

tv33 [ANF]
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby tv33 [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 am

thewayneiac wrote:Then why is Pen Pen is the congratulations scene?

I think it might have been Reichu who first suggested that the scene mentioned might be a Yui induced hallucination. Seeing as how Kaji was there and he had been taking a dirt nap for quite some time before then.

Not to say animals don't have souls in the show though.

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2004, 01:16 GMT

Reichu [ANF]
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 am

tv33 wrote:I think it might have been Reichu who first suggested that the scene mentioned might be a Yui induced hallucination.

That was Dr. Nick's idea, actually. It would be a pain in the @$$ to dig that thread up, though, seeing as the Search function STILL doesn't include posts from before the update. Since this still hasn't been corrected, odds are it never will be... Eh, don't worry, I'll relocate all of these things eventually.

HeWhoPostsStuff wrote:The thing that got me to believe that people's souls were floating around in the ocean back down on Earth was the "transformation" of the ocean's water in EoE, when it was turned red, similarly to that of Antarctica during 2I, as the world's souls were vacuumed up into the black moon:

Hmm, indeed, when you see the entire planet post-3I, the whole thing looks suspiciously red... I honestly have no idea what this is supposed to represent, but perhaps it has something to do with this...

(The explosion expands outward from the Geofront, revealing the egg of Lilith: the Black Moon)

SEELE 08/09:
With the Purification of the Red Earth...
That bespeaks time eternal...

SEELE 11:
First, return the Geofront...

Keel:
To its true form.

...and this (from the EoE Theatrical Program)...

[Red Earth Purification Ceremony (AKICHI NO MISOGI)]
A phrase spoken by the members of SEELE in episode 26' when the Geofront reverts into the Egg of Lilith - the "Black Moon". "Misogi" is a religious ceremony in which the body is purified by bathing in water -- and thus by extension refers to any means used to purify or sanctify a certain object. While there are theories that the etymology of "Adam", the progenitor of the human race, is "red" or "earth", its connection with "Red Earth" is unclear.

Also, you're probably onto something (heaven forbid!) by suggesting that it's related to the "red-ification" of Antarctica:

In Antarctica.

Kouzou: There's no allowance for the existence of living things in this
world of death called Antarctica.

Kouzou: Maybe we should just call it "Hell".

Gendou: Nevertheless, we human beings are standing here, existing as
living things.

Kouzou: Because we're protected by the power of science.

Gendou: Science is human power.

Kouzou: It's that arrogance that caused the tragedy 15 years ago, the
Second Impact. This scene is the result. It's too harsh a
punishment for us, though, considering the crime. This is just
like the Dead Sea!

Gendou: And yet this is a purified world, a world lacking the impurity
of the original sin.

Kouzou: I hope for a world where people can live, no matter how steeped
in sin.

And speaking of "red earth", there is no doubt some sort of obscure relevance in Rei's infamous monologue:

Sky. Red, red sky.
The color red. The color that I hate.
Water flowing.
Blood.
The smell of blood. A woman who doesn't bleed.
Humanity, made from the red soil.
Humanity, made from man and woman.

As for the trees, I'm still not 100 percent convinced that 3I involved every living critter on the Earth, instead of just humans...after all, what kind of "will" could a tree or the like possess in order to regain its original form? But that' another topic...

And it was covered quite recently, too. Read and learn, young padawan. Image

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2004, 02:17 GMT

Keisuke-kun [ANF]
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Keisuke-kun [ANF] » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 am

Could the "A woman who doesn't bleed" part suggest that Rei doesn't have a period (I could say shes Sterile...Maybe Kaworu is too...)

Originally posted on: 21-Aug-2004, 12:33 GMT

Return to “AnimeNation Archive”