NME: Sequel? Prequel? Pfft, try a Midquel.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

NME: Sequel? Prequel? Pfft, try a Midquel.

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:44 pm

I figured separate theories call for separate threads instead of making things too messy, so yeah.

Although I'm one of those weirdos who'd prefer an "Endless Eight"/loop scenario to something like Sequel Theory, this thought entered my brain somewhat recently and now I can't stop thinking about it. I guess it's something of an offshoot of Sequel Theory but not exactly the same thing.

Anyway:

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Rebuild is Asuka's dream. She's having it while being mindfucked in the original NGE.

Or sedated in 24'/EoE. >_> But, more and more I wonder if the new films aren't necessarily a sequel or prequel...but a midquel! :kaos_sick:

For instance, the whole film series is taking place as some mindfuck in the midst of *episode number here* or Instrumentality during EoE. At some point or another, NME-verse "ends" and we're back in the "proper" NGE universe and we get either more of a conclusion besides "kimochi warui." and/or something brand new.

This could be possibly lame, but I'll be damned if it couldn't work IF (big if) executed right. Wrap your brain around that. >=3

Discuss.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:47 pm

No. Bad SSD.

"Photobucket"

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:47 pm

SSD, you suck.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:53 pm

a strange concept/theory

but so is the "Mari is Asuka Soryu in disguise" one, so go figure
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm not sure if O-san's quote is the best one to associate with this, as Asuka isn't in 1.xx. If Rebuild is anything other than an entirely new story, I suspect Kaworu will infer or support evidence in the next film(s).
Voluntary Illusion.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:25 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA

Basically, my hilarious theory is that Rebuild is more "shonen" because that's what Asuka wanted in NGE. The world of Rebuild is warped by her expectations. They could play with this now that she's contaminated. I've no idea.

It seems the qualities Asuka (in NGE) disliked in Shinji and Rei are less prominent in Rebuild. Asuka also seems to have a wild shift into mentally stable towards the end of the second Rebuild film.

This is batshit insane postmodern/metafictional stuff. Whatever the fuck that means. It can also not be proven whatsoever.

But the whole of Rebuild, to me, seems to require having seen NGE to enjoy. Like, I think Anno-san is specifically playing with those expectations. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's some crazy-ass shit like IT ALL TAKES PLACE DURING NGE'S INSTRUMENTALITY. Whether or not there is a canonical sequelness, I think Rebuild relies on NGE.

It's so crazy. Let it flow. Good times, people, good times.

And yes, Kaworu would help. Hurry up and explain yourself, you delicious demigod.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 am

so what i'm getting is that the theory essentially renders Rebuild into being Asuka's "Re-Take"

hmmmm....
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:13 am

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:so what i'm getting is that the theory essentially renders Rebuild into being Asuka's "Re-Take."

That was probably subconscious on my part, but you're right. :gasp:

O7-chan: Exactly! ^_^ I think this theory does make a crazy amount of sense considering you need to watch NGE to fully "get" the new films though people can understand them as a separate work too. It'd be nice to have things tied together ala Gunbuster/Diebuster ending(s) at least...but yeah.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 am

You're wrong, SSD.

It's obviously taking place while Shinji's stuck inside Unit-01. Being damn well close to God, Unit-01 can see all potential timelines. Shinji just happened to find himself believing he existed in this timeline. Considering that he gets a little badass during the Zeruel fight, it's no wonder that he's suddenly somewhat competent in Rebuild.

Wrap your brain around that. >=3

(PS: my post ended in visual parallelism. Hope you caught it, everyone.)
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:40 am

Any " ____ because of ____ " idea is fair game, I'd say. :smirk:

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:48 am

taking everything that has happened prior (the series, EoE, 1.0 and 2.0), the whole idea of Rebuild being all the creation of Asuka's mind during a mindfuck or Instrumentality (ala how Re-Take itself is all the creation of Shinji during whatever state he is in during the fic. I never read it, per say) who ultimately add on and compliment to her overall character arc in the original series

it could also cement that if, at the end of "Rebuild Final", she finally matures, grows up and accepts who she is and what her purpose in life is, completing ditching her "Trojan Bitch" aspects completely and moving on in life

if that does, in fact, happens, it's safe for me to say I can finally respect and like the character

SPOILER: Show
inb4 Eric comes in and rips me throat out for saying that -o-;

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:54 am

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:
SPOILER: Show
inb4 Eric comes in and rips me throat out for saying that -o-;

You assume I give two figs and a pear about people not liking Soryu.

Protip: I don't.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:55 am

okay then :)

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:59 am

she finally matures, grows up and accepts who she is and what her purpose in life is

Gosh I wouldn't expect a fictional 14(ish) year old girl to get quite there even without the whole shitty past/mindrape/end of the world/dieing horribly and then potentially having that reset and loosing an eye yet again thing.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:01 am

heh

just throwing food for thought out there

andrew050
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby andrew050 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:58 am

Well working off from this idea, what if it's Misato's mindfuck instead; seems like it could be her slightly more ideal world, she continues to fight the angels thus having purpose, and Shinji and Asuka seem more adjusted/do things after their little pep talks with her, which happen throughout both films. Also Rei is even better adjusted, and while it seems like she has nothing to do with Misato, the relationship of Rei and Shinji is important to Misato because of her want to "fix" Shinji.

Then there's the (previously discussed) similarities of the scar on Lilith in Rebuild, and Misato's from the original.

Now with some leaping in logic and connections, maybe "the lilith" is the (sorta) physical manifestation of Misato in her own mindfuck world, leading up to Misato reuniting with that figure that is "lilith" in the final films (much like Rei in EOE).

and all this is totally open to mockery because I'm just throwing out the idea than saying it's plausible/fact...

CATO
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CATO » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:00 am

Well working off from this idea, what if it's Misato's mindfuck instead

This can actually work with any character.

It could be Rei's mindfuck: She's reattaching her feelings and discovering humanity, Lilith is revealed much earlier, her maternal feelings are blossoming (dinner anyone?), Shinji goes batshit insane to save her at the cost of destroying the world.

Kaworu's mindfuck (do angels have dreams?): we've reached the point when he's back to finally make Shinji happy by having crazy love that dare not speak its name + he's probably gonna be the badass of the next movie.

Anyone can build a case based on loose references and intuitive interpretations.
"An Andalusian dog in Paris"

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:35 am

^ I don't think this thread was ever meant to be taken seriously.

Besides, it's obvious that it's Aoba's mindtrip. After getting out of the sea of LCL, he made it as a rock star (Third Impact or no, people still need rock music). He's living the S&D&R&R lifestyle and is currently hopped up on LSD. Mari is his subconscious female representation.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:13 am

This theory is so bad a part of me died inside.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

andrew050
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby andrew050 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:11 am

View Original Postran1 wrote:This theory is so bad a part of me died inside.

darn, only a part? ...Shall try harder next time then.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”