Shouldn't the pilots wear helmets ?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

Shouldn't the pilots wear helmets ?

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:26 am

This is a theorical question, i base on this,with no information towards plug suit real function in the series or movies, but since they both work with tight suction, i assume they have the same function as fighter jock gear, to keep the bloody flowing and mantain the same pressure inside the body, sorta like deep sea diver gear, that would be becouse of the lcl pressure.

But if such was the case, shouldnt they have helmet as well ? i guess they wanted to distance from gundam and such, and focus more on humanity of pilot by showing their face more.
ANATA BAKA !?

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:41 am

Why? The only damage they would receive would be from the syncro-damage with the Evas. Wearing helmets would block their Eva headlocks, lowering synch levels (All-important.)

And Gundam pilots don't wear helmets all the time.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:51 am

Uhhh... LCL? :huh:

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:34 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Uhhh... LCL? :huh:

I'm still confused as to how an Eva can flip over a million times and the pilot is sitting perfectly still in the chair without falling out of it. Even with LCL compression, it's still just a liquid.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:37 am

blame sadamoto lazyness as designer.
ANATA BAKA !?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:46 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:blame sadamoto lazyness as designer.

Blame fiction for being fictional.

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:50 am

I don´t see why a pilot should fall out of their chair. If you are getting ready to do a sommersault, you don´t fall to a side while performing it. The pilot concentrates on the task, and carries it out. If the Eva unit get´s thrown away, then the pilot receives sensorial input. You can´t get dizzy from just your body telling you that you´ve been turning in the air a million times. Your cerebral fluid needs shacking (accummulation on one side) for dizziness to set in, causing you to lean towards 1 side.

Divers wear their neoprene to stay warm. I think having the pilots wear the plug suits is probably more of a synch ratio improvement thing. The suites and their neuronal connection probably allows the pilot to better "feel" the environment:

If I wore loose clothing, then the friction of certain areas on my skin can provide a distraction.

If I wore skin tight suit, every inch of skin is covered, making a uniform sensorial feedback, improving pilots perception of environment.

As to the helmet...I don´t see how a helmet can help :S they don´t need targetting systems or comm systems because the entry plug already has those. And if it was to keep their "blood going" and maintain pressure, I´d say a balaclava or a panty over the head would be more effective than a helmet.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:28 pm

I think the concept of liquid breathing as a means of reducing the effects of G forces is one reason why they don't wear helmets, and considering that piloting involves insanely-fast movements for an 80-meter warrior, liquid breathing is a necessity.

Not sure if this'll be okay reference, but it should suffice:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing#Space_travel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_breathing#Examples_in_fiction

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:25 pm

Mari wore one. Ze helmet, it did nothing!

More importantly: Why don't the pilots wear seatbelts?

The EOE harpy fight scene had poor Asuka clinging on to her seat for dear life...
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:46 pm

View Original Postmaster_lloyd wrote:More importantly: Why don't the pilots wear seatbelts?

Shinji does:

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Mari wore one. Ze helmet, it did nothing!

More importantly: Why don't the pilots wear seatbelts?

The EOE harpy fight scene had poor Asuka clinging on to her seat for dear life...

The helmet was more because Eva-05 was just a scrap back-up at best, so it was extra syncro-help than actual protection.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:03 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Shinji does

Proves how much of a pussy he is :lol:

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:14 pm

It's obviously to protect his junk.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:22 pm

View Original PostGamer137 wrote:I'm still confused as to how an Eva can flip over a million times and the pilot is sitting perfectly still in the chair without falling out of it. Even with LCL compression, it's still just a liquid.

I feel that doesn't matter. LCL and Eva's are fictional creations, it doesn't matter how they work, and it really doesn't matter how a fictional pilot won't fly around the entry plug. For all I care the Eva creates it own special gravity that keeps the pilot from flying around when necessary.
PEWPEWPEW

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:01 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:It's obviously to protect his junk.

...against potential radiation. :lol:

Voland
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Voland » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:37 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:...against potential radiation. :lol:

why, it´s not like he´s ever gonna need it in the forseable future

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:18 pm

Kaworu.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Re: Shouldn't the pilots wear helmets ?

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:45 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:i assume they have the same function as fighter jock gear, to keep the bloody flowing

The primary purposes of a fighter pilot's helmet is to protect their heads from damaged during ejecting and from bumbing into the canopy or other objects in the cockpit, also it provides an object to attached the oxygen supply and communictation gear to the wearer. The helmet DOES NOT keep the blood flowing during exposure to G forces, instead a G-suit is worn to push the blood.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-suit[/url]
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:03 pm

View Original PostKnightmareX13 wrote:The primary purposes of a fighter pilot's helmet is to protect their heads from damaged during ejecting and from bumbing into the canopy or other objects in the cockpit, also it provides an object to attached the oxygen supply and communictation gear to the wearer. The helmet DOES NOT keep the blood flowing during exposure to G forces, instead a G-suit is worn to push the blood.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-suit[/url]

Either you reading comprehension suck or i worded myself really poorly, i meant the pilot gear does the same as the ighter pilot gear,hence why they should need a helmet too.
ANATA BAKA !?

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:33 pm

View Original Postbladerj wrote:Either you reading comprehension suck or i worded myself really poorly, i meant the pilot gear does the same as the ighter pilot gear,hence why they should need a helmet too.

First, I am saying that a helmet would do nothing to combat G-forces, which would cause the blood to pool in the legs and not flow to the rest of the body. Second, the LCL would absorb most of the G-forces as well as absorb some of the energy generated by blows that the Eva would receive minimizing the risk of the pilot receiving head injuries due to their head hitting the side of the plug, plus the LCL provides the oxygen to the pilot's blood eliminating the need for an oxygen supply hose. So the plug suit does not provide the same features that a fighter pilots gear provides, rather the combination of the plug and LCL do, so the helmet would be useless.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”