Music Motif

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FastEddie
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby FastEddie » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:42 am

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:Please not Kanno. I think of Bebop with her, and Bebop and Eva go together like grapefruit juice and cake. Ugh.

Definitely a bad association. I wouldn't mind, since the first thing that springs to mind when I think of Kanno is Stand Alone Complex. There's some good stuff in there...

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:54 am

Kanno has made so many diverse soundtracks that I wouldn't instantly associate her with Bebop. It would only be good for Evangelion to be altered by her divine touch.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:50 am

This seems like the most appropriate of the music threads to post this in. This was supposed to be written much earlier in the day but then Toronto got flooded and lost power. Now it's very late and I don't have the time to properly type/edit this and it may end up a bit ranty but here it goes anyway.

This started on irc...

[12:50:18] <Dessimat0r> who thinks that Eva 4.0 will have Cruel Angel's Thesis in it? :3
[12:50:31] <Dessimat0r> I'll be disappointed if it doesn't
[12:50:44] <Dessimat0r> maybe some crappy remix

...and caused me to think for quite a while about exactly what music I want used in Final.

What I want isn't really that particular it turns out. I'll take pretty much anything as long as it works well. I should probably explain myself a little bit.

I'm what some might consider a shallow person. Very often I value the presentation much more than the content. I've grown to need the best possible first impression of a movie. This is the reason camrips will absolutely not do. I need the best or nothing. There's already more content in the world than I can consume in a lifetime so there's no need to compromise quality. I've started to ignore most movie trailers after the first one because how they're done these days either give away too much or sell a completely different experience. I used to be mildly ashamed for knowing I value presentation over content, but that changed in 2008 I think it was. Shinichiro Watanabe (Director of Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo) came over to Toronto to present Genius Party and Genius Party Beyond and in his introduciton he said some of the shorts are a bit unusual and offered Bruce Lee's advice: "Don't think. Feel." That immedeately justified my ways to me. I can think and pick apart the movie all I want later on when rewatching, but that first time I need to wholly feel the experience without distractions. I need that first experience to be as virginal as possible.

On top of avoiding the trailers I've also stopped touching the soundtrack before I watch the movie. Doing that has in the past caused me to create my own imagery to the music. That created expectations and expectations only lead ot disappointment. I need the music in the proper context of the movie as was intended by the creators. Music in a movie is extremely important to me because it is a HUGE part of the presentation. But even if it's good on its own it must work well with the movie. Otherwise it's distracting and works against the movie.

Because of the reasons listed in the needlessly long paragraphs above I've decided that I absolutely do not want to hear Cruel Angel's Thesis in Eva final.

No Cruel Angel's Thesis.
No Komm, Susser Todd.

They carry too much baggage. They are very specifically the Old Eva. I do not want New Eva to be weighed down by the old. Even if NME is still very similar at the core to NGE (build Shinji up before tearing him down in preparation for Instrumentality) it has diverged way too far in the overall experience. I want this new experience to continue. Those two old tracks would be incredibly distracting and disappointing to hear in Final to me personally.

I don't care what Anno and Sagisu decide to do. I don't care whether they lift stuff from Naida, Kare Kano, The Man Who Stole The Sun or whatever else. Just don't bring back Cruel Angel's Thesis and Komm, Susser Todd for a wink wink and nudge nudge. They started out a bit conservative and disappointing on 1.0. I was actually annoyed back in the day that they didn't keep Shinji's awesome trumpet theme. But all is forgotten and forgiven with the soundtracks for 2.0 and Q. I was lucky enough with 2.0 to have a "local" screening relatively soon (November 2009) after the Japanese theatrical date (June 2009). "Local" was still a 100km drive away but it was so damn worth it for that virginal 2.0 theatrical experience. I stayed fairly free of spoilers and was utterly blown away by pretty much everything. At The Very Beginning with Mari was an amazing start. The ridiculous Sahaquel catch sequence with Destiny building up the tension and that insane payoff with Fate at the end of it all. I still have not found an emoticon or image macro to represent how I felt when Sahaquel reached out to meet Shogouki. The Yamashita montage of the fortress city waking up. That is still easily my favorite quite scene of all time. Then you pile on everything afterwards which is getting pointless to list because it should be obvious I spent that entire film festival screening on the edge of my seat and the 100km drive back home giddy like a schoolgirl. That first 2.0 viewing was utterly delicious. Even if Kyou no Hi wa Sayounara and Tsubasa wo Kudasai were different from the rest of the score they still WORKED for the movie. That night went flawlessly and that's what counts to me.
I still enjoy the hell out of 2.0. Which is why I stayed away from Q until the best possible time, which turned out to be the BD. I discarded all of my expectations and strapped myself in for the ride. Anno, Sagisu and Utada Hikaru delivered.

But now I have a problem. 2.0 and Q set the bar for the experience pretty high. I have faith in khara that they can deliver yet again. But not wanting Cruel Angel's Thesis and Komm, Susser Todd is the one expectation that I simply can not discard this time. This will be the final film. Instrumentality will surely be the climax. The climaxiest of climaxes of this entire film series. Please for the love of all things holy and pen pen don't recycle something old. I'll lean away slightly from Eva briefly. I found the ending of Macross Frontier disappointing for one single reason: they did not pull out a new song for it. They recycled all the old ones we've already heard in a medley. It was especially disappointing in Macross because DYRL always lingers. It is a great movie and it all builds to the titular song performance at the end and what a performance it turns out to be. Frontier movies fix the series' drawback with beautiful new songs. Macross 7 in SRW alpha 3 is another glorious example of knowing how to end with a proper soundtrack. You're on the last stage. The boss is ridiculously insane. You're exhausted before you realize it. But then Basara declares that he's finished writing his new song. As soon as the intro to GONG starts playing you immedeately feel in every fiber of your body that you've already won. Macross may make it part of the plot that songs have such ridiculous power but to me this has become reality. At least for my silly movie experience demands. Final is final as far as we know. I need that fantastical new ending whatever the hell Anno decides it needs to be and I need it to evoke something in me that can not be just a callback. Shinji will probabaly end up tumbling down again but please Anno kick him off a cliff to a different tune. And when those credits start to roll they will be the last. They will seal the entire quadrilogy. To me Cruel Angel's Thesis just will not fit here. Nothing old will. Not Beautiful World and (as much as I love it) not even Sakura Nagashi. You are way too far down the New Eva road turn back.

I'm as slightly encouraged by the fact that for the climaxes of the first 3 films Anno chose magnificent new tracks. Angel of Doom was perfect for showcasing that as much as you had to recycle you still want to abuse your newfound creative freedom. That whole block from In My Spirit to Tsubasa wo Kudasai showed how far you wanted to push things and how quickly. And finally that whole last half hour of Q. From Shinji's shattered heart, descending down the shaft and breaking the seal. The battle, the spears, the angel, the awakening, the impact and yet another battle. Topping it all off with Tout est Perplexe/Kindred Spirits which is easily the best work you've ever squeezed out of Sagisu. For Final please don't look back at what's already been done and instead do something even more amazing and awesome.

Ok it's really late and I'm getting borederline delusional trying to talk directly to Anno in that last paragraph....
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:11 am

I'm as certain as I can be that we will not hear any of those classic epic tracks, for exactly the reason you cite. I think khara understand this too. New series, new music. This would instead be a golden opportunity to pull out a new, great, memorable song, which Tsubasa wo whatever was. That song gave me chills, and still does, and it's a chill unique to NME, and I like that.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:59 am

Besides, including "Cruel angel's thesis", even in melody-only piano form, would be quite the cruel joke after Shinji DID become a legend after all in Q!Verse...

...but he's not the hero of it...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Karex_Usyrion
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Karex_Usyrion » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:02 pm

The classical based arrangements form a well-accepted foundation: conservative yet modern and exciting. The music in the Rebuild seems hardly bombastic, I suppose it depends on your gauge of reference. Other types of music more complementary of a more intense apocalypse and post-apocalypse would be along the lines of technotrance, hard trance, mystic trance, goa, epic trance & electronic heroics. There are many good Evangelion AMVs made using the likes of Thomas P. Heckmann, Sunbeam, Susumu Yakota, Source Experience, Oliver Lieb (SpiceLab). Those and Perpetualizer's "Krakatoan Survivor" : now, *that* is bombastic music that fits.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:20 pm

Knowing #1 the insane amount of requests from casual fans Khara must be getting for a re-appearance or even a remix of "Komm, Susser Tod" and #2 Anno and Co.'s penchant for trolling their fans, I bet that at some point there will begin a piano medley that sounds very similar to the opening of KST, only to have some massive event happen on screen at the same time a completely different and pounding score (Preferably hard EBM or Industrial Trance) takes over. :devil:
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:12 am

I don't think I'd mind if Cruel Angel's Thesis or Komm, Susser Todd made a small cameo or something in FINAL. For instance: Shinji finds a piano in the "place that gives him hope" - as unlikely as that is - and starts to absentmindedly tap out the first few notes of either song before being pulled away by Asuka. As for explaining how Shinji knows the songs, he could have heard them as a child, or possibly on his SDAT.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:49 am

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:I don't think I'd mind if Cruel Angel's Thesis or Komm, Susser Todd made a small cameo or something in FINAL. For instance: Shinji finds a piano in the "place that gives him hope" - as unlikely as that is - and starts to absentmindedly tap out the first few notes of either song before being pulled away by Asuka.

That's right up there with "Mari saying 'It's alive!' at the sight of the FrankenEva" on my list of "Things I'd expect from American fans, not the master himself".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:36 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:That's right up there with "Mari saying 'It's alive!' at the sight of the FrankenEva" on my list of "Things I'd expect from American fans, not the master himself".

*nodnod*

It would serve no other purpose than lolshoutout.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”