Rebuild not a sequel, but perhaps an alternate reality?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

Rebuild not a sequel, but perhaps an alternate reality?

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 am

SPOLIER ALERT

I was watching 2.0 just the other day, along with 1.0, and I have always been a fan of the whole sequel theory, but I began to think of it. Certain scenes and characters in 2.0 seem to be very much alike, but slightly different. I know that sounds strange, but take the infamous elevator scene in the series. Asuka slapped Rei, and Rei just took it. But in 2.0, Rei seems to care about the world more in general, and catches her hand before she can hit her. It seems to me as if this is taking place in another universe or plane of reality, and Kawrou's statements about "this time" or "again" are referring to other universes, which he, as a sort of god, can have knowledge of.

I also got this idea from Re-TAKE, with the whole alternate reality concept. Basically, it would mean that at the end of EoE, Shinji #1's story would have ended, and this new Shinji's would have began. Many scientists nowadays believe that for every choice someone makes, from as small as taking a step, to as big as starting a war, creates another universe with all the other options of the choice, and lets those scenarios play out. Perhaps Rebuild is just another scenario in the same Metaverse (the universe of universes) of Evangelion.

I'm hoping that this theory would appeal to both sides of the argument. So, what are your thoughts?
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Re: Rebuild not a sequel, but perhaps an alternate reality?

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:54 am

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:Certain scenes and characters in 2.0 seem to be very much alike, but slightly different. I know that sounds strange, but take the infamous elevator scene in the series. Asuka slapped Rei, and Rei just took it. But in 2.0, Rei seems to care about the world more in general, and catches her hand before she can hit her. It seems to me as if this is taking place in another universe or plane of reality, and Kawrou's statements about "this time" or "again" are referring to other universes, which he, as a sort of god, can have knowledge of.

All of this is explained by the fact that NGE =/= NME. It's not even as much of a remake of the original series as it is just an alternate telling. Anno just took the first few episodes, which really laid the foundation of the entire story, and then added a few twists and turns here and there which have derailed the plot from anything comparable to NGE.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:59 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:All of this is explained by the fact that NGE =/= NME. It's not even as much of a remake of the original series as it is just an alternate telling. Anno just took the first few episodes, which really laid the foundation of the entire story, and then added a few twists and turns here and there which have derailed the plot from anything comparable to NGE.

I know, but this alternate retelling could be do to an alternate universe in the entire scheme of things. It could turn out that at the end of this, all of Shinji's versions come together, in an almost Nirvana-like way, and he can truly be happy. Anno's retelling could be a prelude to that.

If I may, why do you dislike Rebuild so much?

EDIT: I think using the word "explained" is useless when dealing with any aspect of Evangelion, except for the quite obvious parts. It can't really be explained unless something Tier 1 canon is made completely obvious with no way around it. It's rather closed minded to say "nope, nope, nope, it's all been explained." As far as I can see, it's not official until Anno comes out and says "guys, this is just a remake. Not a sequel or anything. Remake only."
Last edited by BeoX2 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience."

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:02 am

I'm pretty sure Sachi actually quite likes Rebuild.

If you want to talk to someone who really hates it, though, look for some posts by Lucretius, Eric Blair, ran1, or myself.

And if it's a sequel or a metaverse or anything remotely related to the original timeline, it'll far surpass the distaste and offense I currently feel in regard to it.
Last edited by esselfortium on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:04 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:I'm pretty sure Sachi actually quite likes Rebuild.

If you want to talk to someone who really hates it, though, look for some posts by Lucretius, Eric Blair, ran1, or myself.

It was his tone of writing, really.
Last edited by BeoX2 on Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:12 am

I love Rebuild, especially since it's independent of NGE.

The fact remains that NME is pretty much a "what if NGE went in THIS direction...?" whether it's an alternate universe within the NGE canon, or simply an alternate story separate from NGE, it's up in the air, really.

Also, protip: we have a gender text-field for a reason.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:21 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:I love Rebuild, especially since it's independent of NGE.

The fact remains that NME is pretty much a "what if NGE went in THIS direction...?" whether it's an alternate universe within the NGE canon, or simply an alternate story separate from NGE, it's up in the air, really.

Also, protip: we have a gender text-field for a reason.

Hahaha sorry about that. I get caught up in the avatar sometimes.

ImpedingAngel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ImpedingAngel » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:37 am

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote: Asuka slapped Rei, and Rei just took it. But in 2.0, Rei seems to care about the world more in general, and catches her hand before she can hit her.

*NEW Plot element based off the dinner for the Ikari's and other invitees, courtesy of Rei. Eg- Band-aids from knife fail? Asuka went off on Rei over Shinji-warming-sensations with daddy feelings, then cursed at herself for liking him too.. All in all, it is a retelling for the Anno-Lulz.
Shinji and Kwarou sitting in a tree..

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:53 am

I like the idea it's a loop like Endless Eight.

Though most likely, NME is just a retelling, which is fine and good, imo.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:56 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I like the idea it's a loop like Endless Eight.

Though most likely, NME is just a retelling, which is fine and good, imo.

I know, I like the idea of a retelling, but it just seems too....well, too easy. I mean, like since when has Anno just been like "You know what? Fuck it. Lets just water it down to some simple messages and less psychobabble and see how quickly I get killed." I just don't think that's the way the man's mind works.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:00 am

Since he became happy and decided to "reconstruct" the genre he "destroyed."
- Sachi

BeoX2
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby BeoX2 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:04 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Since he became happy and decided to "reconstruct" the genre he "destroyed."

Haha, I doubt that. I've heard him say that Eva is "his life." I doubt he'd do something so un-stubborn as that.

And Anno? Happy? Pish posh.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:36 am

View Original PostBeoX2 wrote:Haha, I doubt that. I've heard him say that Eva is "his life."

Maybe back in the mid 90's it was.

And Anno? Happy? Pish posh.

Why wouldn't he be? He's since moved on. He went and did other projects. He got married. One of the things that he mentioned when he decided to do Rebuild was that he marathoned the TV series and was a bit surprised at how "cool" it was.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:51 am

:look:

...is there really that much difference between "alternate reality" and "retelling"? for all we know anno subscribes to some multiverse theory and he's got it in his head that there are several parallel universes in which the EVA story happens with significant variations-- but thing is, either way we're getting new stuff.

unless anno actually intends to link both universes together in a definitive way, i don't think it really matters. until the movie series is completed, it's as much speculation as the "sequel theory" is.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

subAtomic
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby subAtomic » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:06 pm

I guess you could consider it an alternate reality, in that the series and the movies depict two nearly identical universes growing more and more dissimilar as events unfold. But I highly doubt that Anno has any intention of taking such an analogy and incorporating it as a plot element. NME will be an entirely standalone work, as ambiguous about its meta-narrative as the series was. This will allow fans to argue for another 10 years about whether or not Rebuild is a sequel, an alternate universe, or strictly a remake.

If you get additional enjoyment from viewing NME as a slightly different universe from NGE, à la Fringe, then by all means enjoy!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:22 pm

View Original Postcarla wrote:...is there really that much difference between "alternate reality" and "retelling"?

Actually, yeah... the difference being that if one reality is altering the other its not a sequel but still a continuation of sorts, whereas a retelling would be a stand-alone narrative.

That said... it's probably a retelling. People need to stop letting Anno's trolling get to them.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Tycho
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tycho » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:13 pm

But there *seems* to be a connection (i.e. Kaworu's lines), which is from where the whole sequel fanwank had it's genesis. Personally I take official (as far as I'm concerned that means the manga, NGE/EoE and rebuild) to be alternate realities, which for all intents and purposes are totally independent and not-related (except for the obvious connections in the real world).

The series and End of Eva dabble in alternative could-be realities, which also serves as fuel for sequel theories, and may hint to something in Anno's mind. However in their original context those realities have another purpose and never imply they are "real" somewhere/somehwen.

If Kaworu really can tap into another life, that would be some serious shiet. To have the reconstructed adam remember his life as Tabris is okay, but to have him remember something from a previous universe... It also opens too many questions and... hey maybe the four adams represent four aspects that lived in previous universes :argue:

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:05 pm

The only evidence we have that "Rebuild" could be an alternate reality is Kaworu's cryptic dialogue during his appearences in the film so far. Things like "This time I will make you happy" are enough to make me think: "Well, is he somehow aware of what happened in Neon Genesis Evangelion?". It's difficult for me to rule that out since the last two episodes and "The End of Evangelion" suggest that Kaworu is capable of looking into other realities. I'm probbably speaking a bunch of crap since I haven't seen the series and the film in a while and I'm still trying to sort the whole thing out. If "Rebuild" is an alternate reality, my only hope is that it is treated with intelligence and not as some lame gimmick.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:56 pm

Eva Movie Edition is in it's own universe and not a continuation(sequel) in the NGE-verse.
It doesn't effect the original series continuity in any way.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

CATO
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CATO » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:34 am

This is the most plausible theory explaining all the NGE references on Rebuild so far, especially when you take into account the fact that EoE and EoTV went into a lot of "metaphoric details" about alternative realities. However, Rebuild being a sequel, prequel or alternative universe is irrelevant in the end. Things like Kaworu's cryptic statements and other referential imagery will most likely go unexplained in this new series, and fans in the future will reach conclusions similar to this thread's based on very few and scattered hints. Anno seems to be more interested in the characters' experiences that shape the perception of themselves and others than the "whys" behind everything else; keeping that in mind, everything in the series beyond characters' interactions is irrelevant and becomes a plot device, deus ex machina, etc.
If Anno decides to explain all these references at some point in Rebuild, I can only hope he does that in a sensible and interesting way. The problem is not reaching a conclusion like this but how we reach it.
Many scientists nowadays believe that for every choice someone makes, from as small as taking a step, to as big as starting a war, creates another universe with all the other options of the choice, and lets those scenarios play out.

I disagree with this statement. This can be a very interesting academic exercise but I doubt many scientists believe it.
You also have to take into account that free will is nothing but the equivalent of believing in magic in philosophical terms. So far, this universe has proved that we're organic automata with delusions of choice.
"An Andalusian dog in Paris"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”