Toji and Hikari's Relationship in NME

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Toji and Hikari's Relationship in NME [spoilers]

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Reichu says all the countless tiny details we were previously discussing in the "Interesting Details" thread should get their own topics, so here's one for Toji and Hikari's possibly limerent relationship.

Hikari didn't seem to like Toji much in 1.0, nor did he show any signs of affection toward her. Did we miss something important?

Gib
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Gib » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:11 pm

What is Pen-Pen doing there??!!

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:12 pm

This probably doesnt mean anything. Toji was just protecting her because,well,He likes her. Even if Hikari doesnt like him,this kinda proves that Toji likes her because he was willing to protect her regardless of her liking him or not. And also,what was Pen Pen doing there?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Lol, it would be kind of funny to see the tables turned around this time. Though, i doubt that "OMG I HELD YOU WHILE THERE WERE EXPLOSIONS, BE MY GIIIRL, are you gonna be my GURL." is much of anything intimate.

So far, they just seem like 'pals' around the school. So, we did not miss anything important. That would require for something to take place, and nothing is indicative of that.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:15 pm

Remember that Touji's a pretty old-fashioned guy, as noted in the field trip lunch scene. Could be gentleman chivalry at worst.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:15 pm

View Original PostGib wrote:What is Pen-Pen doing there??!!
See this thread.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:07 pm

1.XX DOES have this shot:

so I'm guessing NME is possibly implying that Toji/Hikari have something going on that they (sadly) didn't in NGE. (Also, for whatever it's worth, Hikari and Toji both admit to liking each other in Hikari's Best End in Eva2 PSP version.)
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:11 pm

probably not much to say on this topic.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:55 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:1.XX DOES have this shot:

so I'm guessing NME is possibly implying that Toji/Hikari have something going on that they (sadly) didn't in NGE. (Also, for whatever it's worth, Hikari and Toji both admit to liking each other in Hikari's Best End in Eva2 PSP version.)

That shot means nothing, she is a class rep, the students under her guidance are away from the pack, she is just overwatching them.
ANATA BAKA !?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Eh, I can see it as her staring longingly at Toji. I don't believe anything special is going on between them though.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:12 am

View Original Postbladerj wrote:That shot means nothing, she is a class rep, the students under her guidance are away from the pack, she is just overwatching them.

What do you mean? Can;t you see the subtle canon-ness.?!111? Like, ffff.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:36 am

It's a cute relationship that sadly didn't get of the ground in NGE, I dont think it will here ether.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Adamski
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Adamski » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:17 am

Seeing as one of the main objectives of Rebuild is to make the series more accessible and less confusing, they had to make some decisions of what to leave out. Toji and Hikari's relationship wasn't so important in the grand scheme of things, and doesn't need so much screen time in this version. Still, their crush has been pretty well established and there's no saying it might not get more attention in the next movie, or not.

The reason Pen Pen is there is simply because he is obviously the best character in the entire series. Certainly the most well adjusted and mentally stable character out of the series. The most likable character and a true neutral. He needs as much screen time as he can get.
Meditate, on the floor. Fold your legs, resonate. Breathing speed, regulate. Clear my mind til it levitate.

Lui
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lui » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:32 am

Oh damn I thought that was his sister and they were evacuating.. And I watched the film 3 times already.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit. Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:05 am

Same here...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:13 pm

View Original PostAdamski wrote:Seeing as one of the main objectives of Rebuild is to make the series more accessible and less confusing
I'm pretty sure they either abandoned that idea or it was a lie in the first place. Or they were just talking about the ending.

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:32 pm

I think part of the Rebuild series relies on what the fans already know, only showing whats diferent and very little re enforcing of the rest. I'd guess that their relationship is the same as in the series, just not shown as much since the fans already know how things are. That's just a guess, though.
Not who you think I am.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:49 pm

View Original PostAdamski wrote:Seeing as one of the main objectives of Rebuild is to make the series more accessible and less confusing, they had to make some decisions of what to leave out.

Actually, a new fan that has watched only 1.0+2.0, might get more confused, exactly because they have left a few parts out.
We are talking from a given standpoint and we know what a few things are supposed to mean by default. A new fan might have difficulty knowing what 'berserk' might be or about syncro-shit and etc.etc.
The main plot, might be considered more accessible, but tech stuff, pheew, a person newly introduced will have a few probs figuring it out.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:16 am

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Actually, a new fan that has watched only 1.0+2.0, might get more confused, exactly because they have left a few parts out.
We are talking from a given standpoint and we know what a few things are supposed to mean by default. A new fan might have difficulty knowing what 'berserk' might be or about syncro-shit and etc.etc.
The main plot, might be considered more accessible, but tech stuff, pheew, a person newly introduced will have a few probs figuring it out.

his point still stands, the hikari-touji relationship is fairly unimportant in the grand scheme of things.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:15 am

View Original Postslothen wrote:his point still stands, the hikari-touji relationship is fairly unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

And you obviously missed my point. I did not argue about certain things being left out /of course, Touji/Hikari is not an integral part of the show, so not getting any active part on the NME is not surprising at all/, i argued about certain things being left out =/= more accessible to new fans.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”