Mari Discussion/Speculation: Version 2.22

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Yes, this post is serious. Yes, I am (not) lame.

Postby oOoOoOo » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:... and it'd be nice parallels with NGE Kyoko's bout of insanity and soul splitting/merging.

Excellent. Excellent. Let's take this crazytrain all the way to theorytown. This is the pure euphoria of speculation. I love it.

Mari+Asuka is my new favourite Rebuild character. Masuka. Asukari. Marika.

If I remember how to draw, maybe I'll do some fanart merging the two.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

Postby Eric Blair » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:42 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Masuka. Asukari. Marika.

Asari? Well those sound better that Asukaiel, or Langliel. :wink:
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:45 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:If I remember how to draw, maybe I'll do some fanart merging the two.

I'd prefer them to just see them make out while cosplaying as each other. :toothy:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:17 am

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Excellent. Excellent. ... This is the pure euphoria of speculation. I love it.

Aww, I'm all flattered now. Thanks! ^_^

If I remember how to draw, maybe I'll do some fanart merging the two.

Awesome!

Eric: I think "Asukael" was more of the theory that Asuka is now an Angel on her own because of Bardiel. But yeah, Asari (that is a Japanese name, yes?) sounds good. :3
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

Postby Eric Blair » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I think "Asukael" was more of the theory that Asuka is now an Angel on her own because of Bardiel.

Yes, I was making fun at the theory name.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:But yeah, Asari (that is a Japanese name, yes?) sounds good. :3

Thanks. ^_^
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:54 am

when I hear "Asari", Mass Effect comes to mind

sorry :blush:
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:32 am

Don't feel bad, so did I. :shrug:

I'm not 100% for the "Mari = Sohryu" theory...but you know, what the hell? Could be fun if it were true. Besides, I know where my loyalty lies (original), so none of this would phase me in the least.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:31 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I think "Asukael" was more of the theory that Asuka is now an Angel on her own because of Bardiel.

:lol: You owned her, bro.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:06 am

It is my dream that some kind of hyper-union of all of Asuka's fragmented selves combine. I want Masuka to become the true hero of Rebuild's shonen finale! Mua ha ha ha ha ha ha~!!!
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:03 am

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:this theory is full of crack and aids

View Original Postran1 wrote:This theory is so bad a part of me died inside.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:18 am

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:There's also the fact Mari was able to pilot unit 02 would also explain the Soryu angle, plus, the hot blooded piloting (against?) Zeruel... that's like seeing Soryu's last stand against the MP Eva's, admit it.

No. Very no. Just making the comparison cheapens EoE a lot.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

carla
Ireul
Ireul

Postby carla » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:24 am

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:as well as her saying "I don't like grownups involved in my business".

this strikes me as the complete opposite of something Asuka would say, actually. yes, Asuka doesn't like people getting involved in her business, but i always felt mari's emphasis was in the "adult" part of the sentence, as in, she doesn't trust adults. Asuka on the other hand places a lot of importance in being "grown up."

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:There's also the fact Mari was able to pilot unit 02 would also explain the Soryu angle

does that mean her and asuka-- eh, "shikinami" in this case, i guess-- are sisters? :think:

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:Mari's scene in the Q preview the moment she takes her glasses off, and looks at the camera out of the corner of her eye... I would expect the follow up scene in the film to be Mari taking off the wig, letting her hair fall and shaking it around and saying "finally, I was so sick and tired of pretending to be someone else while that doll used my name".

that would be kind of awesome. :tongue: but for me, i think that's because mari taking off her wig and putting down all pretenses of being someone else would be kind of awesome, regardless of who else she's supposed to be. she could be Asuka. she could be Rei. she could be hikari. either way, a "reveal" scene like that would sound awesome to me. :chuckles:

i like the speculation, though! crackish, but fun. ;)
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

Postby Eric Blair » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:47 am

View Original Postcarla wrote:Asuka on the other hand places a lot of importance in being "grown up."

Being a grown up or accepting them does not entail trusting them; those are two different concepts.

View Original Postcarla wrote:does that mean her and Asuka-- eh, "Shikinami" in this case, I guess-- are sisters?

Clones. It's easier that way.

View Original Postcarla wrote:She could be Asuka.

Way ahead of you, I even posted that in this thread.

View Original Postcarla wrote:She could be Rei.

That would cheapen the concept of One soul-one Rei, but I don't mind.

View Original Postcarla wrote:She could be Hikari.

Now that's just crazy talk. Why would she parachute into school if in the previous scene we saw her trying to convince Shikinami she wasn't after her lunch?

Unless... she WAS after Shiki's lunch, in which case a covert HALO dynamic entry would be the only logical way to get it.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:22 pm

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:Clones. It's easier that way.

Yep, A Clone Is Fine Too. Such as my crazy example (excluding the part about Mari--although I really like the idea that Shiknami and Mari are "literally two halves of a whole person"--since the Soryu=Mari theory relies on her) in another thread:

View Original PostThis sounds so very batshit insane. Sailor Star Dust wrote:The Key will play a very important part in the Meeting of the Children. Eva-01 would still be a medium which is why Shinji is so special, but it's Kaworu and his arrival allows him to have brief control over the 3 female pilots, having them temporarily represent the 4 Adams which causes the Key to "unlock" some of Nerv's secret weapons: Eva-01 has an "upgrade" to Eva-08, while Eva-02 has an upgrade to Eva-07. But its pilot? Asuka Langley Soryu--who's parents had worked for Nerv Germany and Eva-02 espeically, allowing Asuka to be qualified. Shikinami is a replicant of her, only a handful of people knew Soryu's existence because of the traumatic past of her mother going insane and dying and neglect from her father/stepmother caused Asuka Soryu to push herself into intensive training. The stress of the training combined with Asuka's past was so bad that it resulted in some slight mental instability in Soryu herself, she had to be placed under sedation--only recently awakened--while Shikinami was created some 10 years ago back in Germany--where Misato and Shikinami met--because Nerv still needed a pilot.

Mari turns out to be an eccentric but normal person who's a spy to stop Seele/Nerv, Asuka Shikinami is eventually "disposed of"--much to Shinji's horror--since Soryu is now okay, Rei is fully Lilith and not happy about Kaworu--Adam incarnate--being around. Eva-01, now as the repackaged Eva-08 eventually fights Eva-06... but who will win?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:32 pm

So Asuka Langley Sohryu is a FAR? Fucking test tube babies.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

Postby Eric Blair » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:49 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:If I remember how to draw, maybe I'll do some fanart merging the two.

Someone already beat you to a punch.

Image Image Image

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:So Asuka Langley Sohryu is a FAR? Fucking test tube babies.

Since Sohryu is the manga version, and Sadamoto mention her being a test tube baby, sure, why not...
Last edited by Eric Blair on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:34 pm

OH GOD.

DOUBLE Asuka CROSS THE SKY OH MY GOD
YEAAA YEAAA YEAAA
SO INTENSE.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby berto » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:25 am

Did it bother anyone else that Mari took Unit 02?

I mean, she breached a secure facility, unlocked unit 02 from storage, set a path to the angel and without anyone noticing? To breach into Nerv, fine, I'll bite, but to open unit 02's vault and then accesing the tracks made to transport the Evas without a single alaem going off?

That and the fact that no one know who's piloting also bothered me. Supposedly there are only a few children capable of piloting, even if she was kept a secret some one in Nerv had to know about her, Gendo or Ritsuko, for example, who are very much in to the whole espionage and political intrigue of the series.
Not who you think I am.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:44 am

@berto: My hunch is that Kaji was helping her out during the whole affair. He is nowhere to be found during the Zeruel engagement, but suddenly, he pops up just in the nick of time to watch the Third Impact fireworks. So he was around, doing something.

Also, that Gendo and others have knowledge about certain things doesn't automatically mean they know about everything. My impression is that no one has the full picture in any of the Eva continuities.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Hawq
Lilith

Postby Hawq » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:08 am

Whatever else she may be she is either part Russian or has spent enough time in Russia to pick up a slight accent which came through clearly at at least one point, Russian agent slipping back to native accent briefly maybe?

Regardless of that it's a who's using who-fest with her & Kaji with the answer being they are both playing each other, he says he 'dislikes using/involving (forget which word it was now, contexts the same anyway) children in adults business' while she says it the other way round. Appalling I can't recall which way it was said exactly, only just finished watching the R3 DVD an hour ago.

Have the Russians grown their own angel? & if so is she doing mostly her own thing? the effortless takeover of unit 2 did bring back some memories of Kwarou doing it in the series (with the obvious exception he floated outside it of course) & then unleashing it just pushed it a bit more, unless there's some link between her & unit 2 we dont know yet (I'm holding off on any theories there for now as we seem to have enough of those floating about) then things do tend to point in that direction.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”