Is Rebuild a Continuation of the Original Series / Movies?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm not a big believer in this whole 'There the same universe' theory.
There plenty of proof that show's that they are simply paralels of what could have happend.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Fenrir767
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fenrir767 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Well I have seen some crazy ideas out there, and I'm beginning to think that it may seriously be a sequel.

My main reasoning is once again the blood on the moon and primarily the words of Kaworu at the end of you can not advance

I do speak Japanese it's not perfect so I still use subtitles but I did want to confirm what I heard at the end of the movie. It's mainly when Kaworu said kondo koso which means this time.

It would be interesting if Evangelion is a cycle that repeats itself with souls being reborn into the world and the end of the tv series / movies was just the end of one cycle. Perhaps in this one they will try and break the cycle. However even if it's not a sequel, definitely enjoying this just wish they would release the movies faster lol
I am the Alpha and the Omega the First and the Last

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:38 pm

my standard response to sequel theory threads: we just don't know. we probably won't know until all the movies are over.

i don't adhere to the sequel theory, but i wouldn't mind it if it turned out that some god-like sentient being (EOE lilith!Rei?) had the ability to push a universal reset button and start things all over again just for the lulz-- although that button would have to be malfunctioning somewhat, given that it left behind all these so-called "hints" that have keep popping up. :shrug:

whatever the case, i just love how anno's messing with our heads all over again. :tongue:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:39 pm

Two words:
Remastered retteling.
That is what Rebuild is for me, and i am not gonna tl;dr about it. I mean, really. /so far at least.
At times, it seems like over-analyzation takes place in Eva, just cause it is Eva and there has to be a secret meaning behind every little detail!!1. Over-analyzation is good, but not for every single thing. Sometimes, things are a lot simpler and we just make it complex. I can totally picture Anno be all like "oh shit, endless tl;dr if Rebuild is parallel universe/sequel/Au/etc. Maaaaaaaan."
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Fenrir767
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fenrir767 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:08 pm

Yeah I can see that. I am trying not to over analyze but I do see the signs so I just try and have fun with it to bad the movies take forever to come out.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:28 pm

View Original PostFenrir767 wrote:My main reasoning is once again the blood on the moon

The blood trail on the moon ended at the hole Unit-06 was lying in.
The blood most likely came from the body.

primarily the words of Kaworu at the end of you can not advance

Incredibly vague line is incredibly vague.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:41 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:The blood on the moon ended at the hole Unit-06 was lying in.
Nope.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:49 pm

View Original PostEdZ wrote:Nope.
Yep.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks, NAveryW

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:52 pm

if it were a continuation, it would demand that newcomers watch nge to understand what's going on, and that's why i wouldn't introduce someone to eva by telling them to watch the nme first, so that's going for the "remastered retelling" theory. what i'd like for it to be is a continuation that can still be a standalone series, kinda like the new star trek. prior to watching the recent movie, all i knew about star trek was "I AM CAPTAIN KIRK!" and that there was an asian guy, but i still found the new movie highly entertaining and i bet that there were a bunch of nods to the original series that old fans could recognize, kinda like what the nme is doing.
i want rebuild

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:57 pm

I was 50/50 on the sequel hypothesis (IT'S NOT A THEORY YET!) until I remembered Kaworu's "The third again this time? You never change, do you?" from Jo. People who strongly opposed the sequel hypothesis suggested he could have been talking about the Third Angel, but we've known for some time that the Third Angel is Tunniel. Is it possible to explain Kaworu's line without resorting to recursions?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:01 pm

Kaworu knew THIS Shinji in HIS past and tried to make him happy, but failed. It's that easy.

Fenrir767
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fenrir767 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm thinking it's kinda like the new Star Trek in terms of it being a sequel as in they are connected however they both stand on their own, each story has their own ending except the end of this story can also serve as an ending to the original. All I know is that I'm looking forward to 3.0

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:03 pm

well, like star trek, it had to explain some of its plot by referencing some of the original series, so maybe the nme will do the same with nge. or kaworu and Shinji met before in the nme, and it'll be explained in the "meeting of the selected children."
i want rebuild

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:09 pm

View Original PostLegendary wrote:Kaworu knew THIS Shinji in HIS past and tried to make him happy, but failed. It's that easy.
But how is Shinji the third again?

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:12 pm

It's not "Shinji Ikari is the Third again, huh? He never changes."

It's "I'm hearing of Shinji Ikari, the Third, again. He never changes."

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:15 pm

If someone says, "Oh, it's that asshole again", does that mean that they are an "asshole" again? or is it the "asshole" a description referring to a "person" again? As in, it's "him" again.

I've never heard such a phrase like that where the descriptive object referring to a person or thing, is used meaning the description is occuring again.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:24 pm

View Original PostLegendary wrote:Kaworu knew THIS Shinji in HIS past and tried to make him happy, but failed. It's that easy.

This is what I think as well.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Ah, thank you.

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:29 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Yep.
[url]http://projectenthalpy.com/yep.jpg[/url]
Note how Kaworu is much closer to the camera, on top of a rise, and the blood smear is at an angle (front-left to rear-right). It's likely it simple continues down the side of the ridge facing away from us, and off far enough to the right by the time we can see the floor of the crater that it is out of shot.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”