Interesting little details in 2.XX

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

A better picture: http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=647299

Deyno
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Deyno » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:33 am

Evangelion en Espanol

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:02 am

^
looks like a flattened out dinosaur. Image
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Deyno
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Deyno » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:02 am

What is the name of this plane?
Evangelion en Espanol

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:28 am

View Original PostDeyno wrote:What is the name of this plane?
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/166903_159577334140479_100002646412710_249360_1889947231_n.jpg

It looks like some variation of a Beriev A-40

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

To give credit... Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:28 am

According to the list, the translation is:

A40 Multipurpose Amphibious Flying Boat (Nerv Version)

... So an A-40 it seems to be.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

cljohnston108
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby cljohnston108 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:32 pm

I'm only about 20 minutes into 2.0 (so I'm trying to avoid spoilers on this thread), but did anybody catch the nice little nod to Space: 1999?

I kinda wanted to add a mention of this on the Wiki page for Tabgha Base, but I can't seem to register an editor account.

Currently, there's a bullet point under Allusions that reads...

The pit in which Eva 06 is being excavated and/or constructed and the spacecraft used by Gendo and Fuyutski to spy on the proceedings bear visual similarities to a set and a prop from Stanley Kubrick's film 2001: A Space Odyssey, a film which has received references from Evangelion multiple times before.

Somebody should probably fix it so that there's one bullet for the excavation pit being from 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a separate one about Gendo and Fuyutski's spacecraft being reminiscent of the Eagle Transporter from the TV series Space: 1999.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Okay, I rewatched Eva 1.11 and 2.22 with a friend around New Years, and we noticed a few things and I figured this is the thread to post them. I can't be bothered to trawl through such a long thread so there may be a few repeats:

- 2 years ago. Kaji says that he's been away from Tokyo-3 for 2 years, rather than the 7 (8?) years in the original. Gendo - during the end of 2.22 - also remarks that the plan started 2 years ago is finally coming to fruition. I think this is a subtle, but very important change from the original.

- Fuyutski (or was it Misato?) says that Second Impact was intentional. He and Gendo seem opposed to it this time around.

- We see an egg in Second Impact. Presumably one of the Adams. What's with that?

- Misato shows Shinji Lillith. This is obvious, but a slightly less noticeable change is that Misato and Ritsuko now openly talk about Lillith. It appears that Lillith is more widely known of this time around.

- The song played during Misato and Kaji's scene in the bar is blatantly about Misato("I couldn't forget it, I loved the man in the blue shirt, who watched the ocean" whilst the camera is focussing on Kaji and his blue shirt shortly after the scene with him and Shinji looking at the ocean), and seems to foreshadow her death. It seems to be talking about Second Impact (the singer sings about crawling into a shell and being set afloat whilst the sky burned). However, the interesting thing is that it says the sky burned until the day she died. I'd take this to suggest that the effects of Second Impact will be undone in one of the next two films and around this time Misato will kick the bucket. I would guess Final because her dying and crazy Impact-related stuff happening sounds very EoE to me.

- If there are four Adams, doesn't that mean there are at least 4 seeds of life? As in, angels, humans, and two other species?

- In 2.0, when Shinji is going full rage mode at the end, Ritsuko doesn't seem to have any idea what's going on, whereas in Episode 19 she gave us that big ol' speech about Yui breaking free. Does this mean she doesn't know about Yui, or at least not as much as about the Evas as she did in NGE? It may just be that she doesn't know how Shinji can run an Eva on pubescent rage alone, but I think it suggests she isn't quite as clued-in as she was originally.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:49 pm

View Original Postcljohnston108 wrote:I'm only about 20 minutes into 2.0 (so I'm trying to avoid spoilers on this thread), but did anybody catch the nice little nod to Space: 1999?

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll469/cljohnston108/Miscellaneous/Evangelion_Eagle.jpg

I kinda wanted to add a mention of this on the Wiki page for Tabgha Base, but I can't seem to register an editor account.

Currently, there's a bullet point under Allusions that reads...

Somebody should probably fix it so that there's one bullet for the excavation pit being from 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a separate one about Gendo and Fuyutski's spacecraft being reminiscent of the Eagle Transporter from the TV series Space: 1999.

It should probably go here: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Tributes_to_Other_Fiction_in_Neon_Genesis_Evangelion#Space:_1999 with a reference or note on the Tabgha Base page pointing to that entry.

The wiki doesn't have open registration, they're created on request (send one of the admins a PM or post in this thread if you want one: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/4512/Scribe-Sign-Up-Sheet/ )

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:11 am

Evangelion 2.0 trailer:
SPOILER: Show

Evangelion 2.22 release:

I just thought it was interesting to see how they re-fitted the scene to match an altered storyline.

Both scenes feature a secondary scene of a face-shot of Mari with the reflection of birds flying in her glasses.
In and of itself, self-evident.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:37 pm

Note the changes in Maris pose and outfit. The first pic shows the uber serious, soldier-like persona from the early drafts.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:48 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Note the changes in Maris pose and outfit. The first pic shows the uber serious, soldier-like persona from the early drafts.

Hmm, nicely spotted. It makes me wonder how different a super serious Mari would have been... probably like Asuka v5.0, but less chatty, more actiony. (Though, that's more of Rei's territory)
In and of itself, self-evident.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:36 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:SSV-34? Is the Soviet Union still around?

I'm really late here, but SSV stands for "Sudno Svjazi", "communication ship" in English, interestingly it's written in Cyrillic in the original SSV-33; Ursus made an article about the fictional SSV-34 featured in the movie.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

shinhito
Adam

Angel Skeleton Code?

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:38 am

I don't know if this has been covered/asked before. But I was just going frame by frame during the Third Angel skeleton encounter. I noticed that along each section of the "vertebrae" there is a circle along with an alpha-numeric code. I was able to make out "3a-12461".

I then noticed just the generally strange quality of that particular Angel. It has some mechanical equipment attached to it, along with some piping. Is this just part of the permafrost apparatus or is is part of the Angel itself?

I was then just realizing how little information there is regarding that whole sequence since it's a completely new incarnation for the movie. Like, what is that whole facility for? Acheron? Etc.

This was more just pointing out something I found fascinating and only facilitated by having too much time on my hands and the amazing quality of Blu-Ray. :D

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: Angel Skeleton Code?

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:58 pm

View Original Postshinhito wrote:I noticed that along each section of the "vertebrae" there is a circle along with an alpha-numeric code. I was able to make out "3a-12461".

That number doesn't really mean anything since every "vertibrate" and other part of the angel is labeled with it's own number. They actually do that quite a lot on the movie, labeling things like. Cement blocks, turrets, those armor walls, etc. Everything is always labeled, as you'd expect for easy organizaion.

As far as the other details go I'm pretty sure there's a 3rd Angel thread somewhere around there.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Rocky Raccoon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rocky Raccoon » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:51 am

Last edited by Rocky Raccoon on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:42 am

View Original PostJahoobano wrote:In this scene everyone is fascinated by the restored sea, but Asuka stands alone and apart from them,
stolidly looking out at the red ocean (perhaps remembering something?)

Nice spot.
I know she isn't, but she looks like she's in the test suit from what I can see.

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:47 am

That is Rei.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:49 am

View Original Postqu4d wrote:That is Rei.
Rei's on the far left, not far right.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:25 pm

This has probably been mentioned before, but I just noticed it. In 2.22's "Next Time" preview, the Rei wearing the transfer student uniform appears to have blue or purple eyes:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”