Interesting little details in 2.XX

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:37 pm

well we saw what it was like when the angel took over. Giggles and angel wings. it seems pretty clear she'll be on a mind trip the whole time. Or else we'll see her perspective in the next movie.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:28 pm

View Original Postslothen wrote:well we saw what it was like when the angel took over. Giggles and angel wings. it seems pretty clear she'll be on a mind trip the whole time. Or else we'll see her perspective in the next movie.

Why would we? She hasn't been developed as an important character thus far, and it'd make no narrative sense for them to start now. Even many scenes that seemed to be 'about' her were arguably more about whoever else was in the scene with her.

She wasn't particularly developed as a character, her revelations feel hollow and meaningless, and the Bardiel plot would have made more dramatic sense if it involved someone Shinji was visibly closer with and spent more time onscreen with. Actually, for how little importance she was given, it would have made more sense if all of her scenes were taken out and instead used to develop a character who the plot cares about. Like Lucretius said a few posts ago, it really doesn't even make sense for her to be in the movie at all. She's a vestigial limb in Rebuild, who's only there because people expect her to be.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:53 pm

I also think the idea that 3.0 is going to show or allude to the "mind rape" that may or may not have happened in 2.0 as a flashback to an event that happened in real time in 2.0 and may (like in episode 22) be a flashback itself to her past, is just goddamn retarded.

Of course this idea could easily work if presented in a wholly new way. Though I really don't see why they wouldn't have shown this "mind rape" if it were important as it was happening, is it really going to be that much more important in 3.0 that it had to be elaborated upon there?

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:36 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:words

time will tell.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:41 am

View Original Postslothen wrote:time will tell.

While they can certainly do whatever they want with her in the next film, it wouldn't make much narrative sense to suddenly decide she's an important character after having spent 2.0 doing what I described in my last post. I'd like to have seen her made better use of, but as-is it'd make about as much sense as expecting Hikari to get a starring role in Final.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:43 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:While they can certainly do whatever they want with her at this point, it wouldn't make much narrative sense after having spent 2.0 doing what I described in my last post. I'd like to have seen her made better use of, but as-is it'd make about as much sense as expecting Hikari to get a starring role in Final.

you're driving off the cliff of hyperbole. Come back to us.

MAL Profile

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:48 am

View Original Postslothen wrote:you're driving off the cliff of hyperbole. Come back to us.

I told you that a character who obviously had barely any importance in 2.0 (other than being a reason for Shinji to mope about his dad) is unlikely to be featured any more prominently in the next installment. I used an analogy to get a point across; I never said that Asuka was literally equal to Hikari in story importance.

Telling me that this is "driving off the cliff of hyperbole" is you yourself being hyperbolic.

You don't need to agree with my interpretation, but the frequency with which my own and similar ideas are rudely handwaved away gets rather tiring. Tell me why you disagree with me, if you want to respond; don't do that. This is just a fancier way of telling me to shut up because I'm wrong.

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:05 am

obviously had barely any importance in 2.0

well since its so obvious, I must be a some kind of fool for not seeing it.

Bardiel plot would have made more dramatic sense if it involved someone Shinji was visibly closer with and spent more time onscreen with.
and this is exactly why they put Asuka there instead of toji. The way she's in that quarantine thing seems like a perfect set up for some early mind tripping and flashbacks in Q. So yeah, to call her vestigial is ridiculous, especially considering rebuild is only half done.

as for me rudely handwaving your ideas away, I did no such thing, but you're free to take offense regardless.

MAL Profile

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:34 am

View Original PostLucretius wrote:I don't care that Asuka was "shortchanged," but putting a character who barely interacts with the rest of the cast in Unit 03 was a hilariously bad idea. The movie would've been better if Asuka were left out, period.

She's in these films solely for nostalgia value, it seems.

I was with Slothen when I thought you were talking about Toji at first! Unless there's some great role for him in 3.0 (a likely possibility), it's he who should have been written out (and was, to an extent). I get that you really, reeeeeeally dislike Shikinami, but taking out one of the three female leads to benefit a side character is a pretty whacky idea. Where do you get that she "barely interacts with the cast"? She has significant scenes with all of the main characters.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:22 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Where do you get that she "barely interacts with the cast"? She has significant scenes with all of the main characters.

I agree that Asuka ought to've been favored over Touji for plot reasons; it's inherently more plausible for Shinji to go nuts over a girl than a guy-friend. Shinji, and guys like him, put women up on a pedestal, while Shinji & Touji is not a very deep relationship - one born of convenience than any real connection. And I think if we checked screentime, Asuka has about as much (or more) with Shinji as Touji does.

And come to think of it, of the 'philosophical' scenes, Asuka steals the vast majority of it with her monologue before hopping into Eva-03. Last minute characterization, yes, but still characterization.

KaaVI
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby KaaVI » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:45 am

As much as I'm loving the speculation. I would like to input the fact that they didn't want to focus on Asuka too heavily because of the introduction of Mari. This might be a hint that there will be a rivalry between the two and an epic flame rage on Asuka's behalf.

I mean cmon imagine her going off at mari "WTF did you do to my Unit 02" and the. A giant catfigjt follows.

I would also want to know why they mentioned unit 06 and 08 but no 07, could it be that Asuka is getting a new Eva? Only time will tell
Kaworu is in my bed, all is right with the world.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:21 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote: Where do you get that she "barely interacts with the cast"? She has significant scenes with all of the main characters.

I wouldn't call any of them significant. She has inconsequential scenes with Shinji and Rei, then a lengthy monologue directed at Misato. Asuka pretty much exists in her own pocket universe as far as the movie is concerned; they might as well have stuffed Hikari into Unit 03, for all the dramatic effectiveness this plotline has.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 pm

This is the interesting little details thread, not the I hate Asuka or Rebuild sucks thread.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:31 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:This is the interesting little details thread, not the I hate Asuka or Rebuild sucks thread.

But those are interesting details!

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Flocked. Flocked like the sick lil' flying monkeys they are.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:16 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:This is the interesting little details thread, not the I hate Asuka or Rebuild sucks thread.

Yeah, both of those were locked so everyone flocked to this thread.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:19 pm

I'm not trying to be a pervert, but I noticed in the 2.22 version of the film, when Rei was in the tube of LCL, that Rei actually has a big patch of pubic hair.

I guess it's good to see that shes developing in all the right places. :blush:

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:51 pm

No, that's just a shadow. It's not even in the right place to be pubic hair. Besides, if even Asuka doesn't have any, there's no way Rei does.

"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:59 pm

Where is the shadow from then?

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:18 pm

View Original PostThe Goose wrote:Where is the shadow from then?

It seems that a shadow is being cast by the light emanating from the bottom of the tube due to Rei's mons pubis (or upper pelvic region). Note the shadows above her breasts and clavicle as well.

No pubes, sorry. You must remember her age too.

Screen cap with some contrast tweaking
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:33 pm

Ok, now I see where the shadow is being cased. Thanks.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”