Story and Character Improvements

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:19 pm

View Original PostGamer_2k4 wrote:I liked how Asuka's character was the same overall, but portrayed more realistically.

pfft

View Original PostGamer_2k4 wrote:I think the new Asuka is less generic and more representative of what Anno was going for in the first place.

Anno was going for money, so I guess you probably have that right.

But NGE Asuka was generic, eh? Really now? I don't follow most anime these days, but I don't think I've ever seen another deconstruction of tsundere to the extent of NGE Asuka. Rebuild Asuka is just tsundere. Why? Plot demands that Asuka not be a bitch like she used to be, no backstory explanation necessary.

For that matter, why is Gendou exactly as dismissive of Shinji as before when the entire scenario now hinges on Shinji's cooperation? Plot demands that Gendou be a dick, no backstory explanation necessary.

For that matter, why is Rei no longer afflicted with the crippling inability to understand others or indeed behave in a socially acceptable manner? Plot demands teh Rei, no backstory explanation necessary.

I could probably go on.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:52 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:, then hop into bed with him and pretty much confess her undying (and in Rebuild even more nonsensical than in NGE) love for him

Did you watch the movie without subs? Cause that's absolutely not what happens.

For that matter, why is Gendou exactly as dismissive of Shinji as before when the entire scenario now hinges on Shinji's cooperation?

No, it doesn't. In Gendo's plan, the Dummy Sytem would work just as good. Yui screws him over, but if that didn't happen, Shinji wouldn't even be neccessary.

Also, to be fair on Rebuild, in the original series, up till about Epsiode 21 (Nerv/Ritsuko/Gendo+Yui infodump) we had almost zero backstory on anything apart from Misato and Shinji himself.

Plus, why should the differences between characterizations be addressed if Rebuild is a different continuity?
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:01 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Did you watch the movie without subs? Cause that's absolutely not what happens.

She jumps into bed with him, shifts to a first-name basis with him, insults him a few times, tells him the truth about literally the most important thing in her life (why she pilots), expresses interest in knowing why he pilots, insults him when he disappoints her by revealing that he pilots for his dad.

It's not an actual confession, no, but there's definitely something there. Let me remind you that this is right after the scene where Shikinami whines about how lonely she is and how she always wanted to be alone, up til now. Honestly, the most obvious interpretation of the scene to me is that Shinji making the destruction of Sahaquiel possible got her all hot and bothered. Considering the way she phrases her lonely whinings, it seems like she's just talking about maybe making a few friends, until she gets up in the middle of the night, goes next door and jumps into bed with Shinji.

Yeah, that's definitely an innocent kind of loneliness. Why does she tell him about why she pilots? Why is she so insistent that he tell her why he pilots? Why does she get more bitter and hurtful than usual when he tells her that he doesn't pilot for himself? She's blatantly interested in him, and my complaint is that it doesn't really make sense for her to be.

Soryu's feelings for Shinji were built over weeks, even months, of having to put up with his constant presence at her home, his implicit resemblance to Kaji, his abilities in battle, his general apathy about everything (which she interpreted as playing hard to get). Shikinami's only reason to like Shinji is that he made it possible for her take out Sahaquiel - but so did Rei, and you don't see Shikinami waltzing over to hop in bed with her ass in the middle of the night. Shinji's no longer apathetic by the second movie - certainly less so than he was in the corresponding series episodes, anyway. Since she doesn't think too much of Kaji anymore, there's no reason for her to appreciate whatever mysterious aspect of Shinji that reminded Soryu of Kaji - whatever it is that makes both Soryu and Misato associate the two of them (in Misato's case, it extends to her father as well, but I don't know that we know what aspect of character links Kaji, Shinji, and Dr. Katsuragi specifically; maybe they all kind of look alike?)

And now, with the vanishment of her crush on Kaji, Asuka's character feels pretty much gutted. What does she have left? She's a tsundere with diminishing-returns combat abilities. Big fucking deal. Nothing to separate her from the ten thousand other tsundere love interests of the last fifteen years and before. Everything that once gave me interest in the character of Asuka - such as her actually having a character - is pretty much gone.

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:No, it doesn't. In Gendo's plan, the Dummy Sytem would work just as good. Yui screws him over, but if that didn't happen, Shinji wouldn't even be neccessary.

Then what was the whole point of the "Yes, now we will push them closer together that way we will sell more doujinshi" spiel? I don't think Gendou hoped to rely on Shinji for Third Impact, but in NGE, it wasn't in his plans at all. Shinji had literally nothing to do with Gendou's plan for Third Impact in NGE, all he had to do was keep Gendou, Lilith and Unit 01 from getting annihilated. In Rebuild, it's apparently his grand Plan B, maybe even his Plan A if he'd wound up having to do 3I before the dummy plug started working. You'd think he'd put a little effort into his Plan B becoming someone somewhat less like himself, more pliable, more loyal, maybe?

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Also, to be fair on Rebuild, in the original series, up till about Epsiode 21 (Nerv/Ritsuko/Gendo+Yui infodump) we had almost zero backstory on anything apart from Misato and Shinji himself.

Very true. Rebuild is equally poor at spacing out its backstory. I'm glad to see there's at least one way they could be faithful to NGE.

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Plus, why should the differences between characterizations be addressed if Rebuild is a different continuity?

Because the audience is the same as that of NGE, mostly, and so they have expectations as to what they will find in something officially labeled as an Evangelion anime movie.

If you were watching a play called Prince Hamlet (please don't assume I'm putting Eva on a par with Shakespeare or whatever, illustrative purposes only), even if you saw that it was not by Shakespeare and was rather a retelling of the Hamlet story, you would expect it to be about a guy called Hamlet, and odds are you would also expect it to be about his struggles with whether or not to kill his king and uncle, who Hamlet suspects of treacherously murdering his father and marrying his mother. If it did not contain these things, you would expect it to be explained why not, why there are differences. It would be stupid to have someone walk up to Hamlet and say, "I thought you were supposed to be torn with indecision over whether to kill Claudius or not," but you would still have to address the discrepancy, or people would wonder why you advertised the play as a retake of Hamlet if you were just planning to do something fundamentally other than the plot and characters commonly recognized as Hamlet.

I'm not saying that 3.0 should feature Shinji saying to Asuka, "So, what happened to you being an ironic mirror/inversion of, and thus a character foil for, myself, having come from surprisingly similar circumstances yet resulted in a personality that is, at least outwardly, the complete opposite of mine?" What I am saying is that there should be a given reason why Shikinami, hell, why anything is different, or I'll wonder why they advertised Rebuild as a retake of Evangelion if they were just planning to do something other than Evangelion.

I think I'm pretty much done posting in this thread, I've said pretty much everything I can say without resorting to just saying "Rebuild sucks because I don't like it."
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:27 am

I'll wonder why they advertised Rebuild as a retake of Evangelion if they were just planning to do something other than Evangelion.

Evas fight Angels, Shinji deals with life, Rei's a plot device. Seems pretty Eva to me.

But NGE Asuka was generic, eh? Really now? I don't follow most anime these days, but I don't think I've ever seen another deconstruction of tsundere to the extent of NGE Asuka.

She's a cocktease, whoop-de-do. There's nothing special about her, especially now. Please try and give a list so I can counter since I'm the only apparently that watch anime other than NGE.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:12 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:The long issue

You know, you kinda rip that scene out of context. Also, it is one thing to say that the possible virtues of the future films won't save the flaws of 2.0, but since the release of the second installment, a large chunck of the fandom acts like 1.0 doesn't exist.

Why do i bring that up?

Well, lets take the way Shinji and Asuka were introduced to piloting Eva, respectively: Shinji had the whole "Waaah, can't/won't do it, booo-hooo!" gimmick, as per usual (a perfectly natural reaction, given his circumstances, by the way). Asuka dropped in, kicked ass, and looked like a million bucks. Different exteriors? Check.

Lets fast forward a bit: the Tokyo-III shiny montage. The allusion to the Hedgehog's Dilemma scene from the previous installment is so obvious, the cut where Shinji rides the elvator almost looks like it has been reused. But this time around, Shinji, instead of being all forlorn and mopey, pulls out his earplugs, chats with Touji and Kensuke (the only instance those two were worthvile), and is all happy and sociable, wheee. But what's this? Aside from Rei looking at Shinji a bit, instead of staring out the window, we see Asuka sinking into her video game (her own version of Shinji's player), being all forlorn and mopey. Shinji gives her a lingering look. IMHO, it's a moment of realization: "Holy hell, that girl is just like how i used to be!" A hint at similar interiors? Check.

Fast forward even more: Shinji tells Asuka that he pilots to her a "Good boy!" from daddy. Asuka is disappointed/pensive. Couldn't that be the equivalent of the above? "Holy hell, that boy is just like me at some level!". Keep in my mind that the super-independent, "grrrr i don't need anyone" pilot, when Misato told her "No, you can't do this alone." a few minutes ago, basically went "Don't you think i'm awesome? Aren't you going to validate me?". She still wants to be recognized, big time. Another hint at similar interiors.

Also, the elevator scene between Rei and Asuka makes a point of it that unlike Rei's, Asuka's motivations for pursuing Shinji are extremely *GASP!* selfish. Asuka even recognizes that, and basically disqualifies herself as a love interest (and she has her most calssic "dere dere" moments afterwards, with regards to Rei and Misato).

TL;DR: I don't think they were trying to push an unnatural love interest angle with Shikinami, and i don't think the Shinji/Asuka dynamic was changed that much. One is a bitch of an emo, the other is an emo of a bitch.

It seems like that disappointment with 2.0 was so strong that it put a lot of people off from analyzing it.

Then what was the whole point of the "Yes, now we will push them closer together that way we will sell more doujinshi" spiel?

Personally, i think the point was to have a extra emotional handle on Rei, not on Shinji. The Eva-03 stuff messed that up a bit, but not totally (at least, i think so). Rei still tried to push the "But did you really try to understand your father?" thing with Shinji, even after he states that he hates him. Rebuild is somewhat shippy in terms of Shinji/Rei, but it does tackle the possiblity of Rei being Yui-like. Gendo might have wanted to awaken that side of her, to better control her. Shinji is just the ignition key for Eva-01.

Hamlet comparison

If we stay with this comparison, Rebuild was advertised from the get go as "Hamlet- The elseworld version". So i think that dissing the narrative itself for not explaining the changes is silly, since it was stated from the get go that it's gonna be an alternate universe. Not liking the new stuff, and comparing it to the original, is another matter.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:36 am

A little offtopic, but where are people getting the idea that Rei is only attracted to Shinji because some part of her is from Yui?

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:39 am

I only said that it might play a part in it.

ehh123
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ehh123 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:30 am

I realize I should have given examples about story. That shows more definitive improvements than characters because of pacing and how it is handled. How about we start with the scene where Ritsuko tells Misato that Shinji should give Rei her new access card?
"Does the bus run through here?"

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:34 pm

Well, the reason Ritsuko specifically asked that Shinji give Rei her new I.D. card was because Gendo wanted Shinji and Rei together. I don't think the creators changed the scene because of pacing, but because it had to further Rebuild Gendo's plan.

ehh123
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ehh123 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:08 pm

View Original PostThe Goose wrote:Well, the reason Ritsuko specifically asked that Shinji give Rei her new I.D. card was because Gendo wanted Shinji and Rei together. I don't think the creators changed the scene because of pacing, but because it had to further Rebuild Gendo's plan.

I was actually talking about how it was handled.

In the original series, both Shinji and Misato were there in the apartment with Ritsuko. Misato was drunk and eating...whatever that stuff was that made Pen-Pen faint. That was played for humor.

In Rebuild, Ritsuko and Misato are in a bar that is overlooking the Geofront. They are talking about relationships and it seems more subtle.
"Does the bus run through here?"

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:40 pm

View Original PostThe Goose wrote:A little offtopic, but where are people getting the idea that Rei is only attracted to Shinji because some part of her is from Yui?
paging Dr. Freud...
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:27 pm

The reason Rei is caring toward Shinji is because he actually sees that she is a human and isn't a tool. There isn't any evidence showing that Rei has any part of Yui's personality and, by Rei having Yui's personality, is caring toward Shinji.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:29 am

Yeah, it's called basic emotions. If you're treated like nothing, then you're going to latch on to the first one that really cares for you.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:24 am

View Original PostThe Goose wrote:There isn't any evidence showing that Rei has any part of Yui's personality and, by Rei having Yui's personality, is caring toward Shinji.

The biggest evidence towards that possibility comes from Gendo's side. In 1.0, he stated in plain dialouge that he wants to push Shinji and Rei closer to each other, because that's an important part of his plans and yada yada. The "give this card to Rei"-scene mentioned above plays into this line of thought perfectly: Shinji and Rei's relationship exists because of a setup on Gendo's part in the first place.

Yet, why was he so sure that they will have positive reactions for each other? Unless he knows there is a certain factor that would almost ensure this. Rei having some Yui in her by way of genetic memory/psychic imprints/other sci-fi bullshit is the most obvious thing that lends itself for an explanation.

As i see things, having Shinji get closer to Rei was Gendo's subtle way of making Rei more emotional, thus more manipulable. Of course, Gendo is a manipulator who doesn't really understand people, so this my (and likely will) backfire in the furture. Even more so than it already has.

BTW, Rei was far from being treated like nothing before Shinji showed up. Why, the very first sighting of Rei and Gendo together inspires a degree of jealousy in Shinji, because he is all over her and doesn't give a crap about him.

@topic: I think Rebuild overall did a far better job than the series with it's portrayal of the Startled Bridge Bunny Squad (you know, the ones who always stare in shock whatever happens). They look more convincingly horrified than ever.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:43 am

Yet, why was he so sure that they will have positive reactions for each other? Unless he knows there is a certain factor that would almost ensure this. Rei having some Yui in her by way of genetic memory/psychic imprints/other sci-fi bullshit is the most obvious thing that lends itself for an explanation.

Did Gendo know that Rei and Shinji would have postive reactions toward each other? I can't think of any scene from the two films that have Gendo thinking that the relationship between Rei and Shinji will turn out well.

Also, I think it's a stretch to say that Rei is attracted toward Shinji because of some part of her Yui. First, if that were true, it would destroy Rei's whole character arc throughout Rebuild so far. Her character arc is that she sees that she is special and not a copy or tool to be used by Gendo. Second, the more likely answer to why Rei is attracted to Shinji is because Shinji is the only person who sees her as a human being. Finally, the relationship between Rei and Shinji in Rebuild seems more genuine. It feels more like Rei and Shinji like each other as persons rather than liking each other because they're reminded of someone close to them (Rei-Gendo, Shinji-Yui). If some part of Rei were Yui and was influencing her personality it wouldn't make much sense because of how genuine the relationship seems this time around. For example, the creators took out the scene where Rei sees Gendo smile when Shinji rescues her the first time. It makes it seem like Rei is happy toward Shinji and thinking of just him for what he done, instead of being remembering Gendo like in the original series.

BTW, Rei was far from being treated like nothing before Shinji showed up. Why, the very first sighting of Rei and Gendo together inspires a degree of jealousy in Shinji, because he is all over her and doesn't give a crap about him.

But, at the end of the day, Gendo doesn't care at all about Rei. If he really cared about her, he wouldn't let her live in that crap apartment she lives in. Gendo doesn't see Rei as a an actual person, only Shinji does. In Gendo's eyes, Rei is simply a tool who is to be used for his future plans.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:53 am

Well, this post is about the story and the charcters, so:

Images from Rebuild 1.11

[URL=http://img245.imageshack.us/i/1smallc.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Time: 51 min 55 sec

Fuyutski and Gendo discuss their plans involving the Children. They even have the uber-blatant Fuyu-plays-shogi symbolism to get the manipulation angle across.

[URL=http://img266.imageshack.us/i/2smallo.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Time: 52 min 01 sec

Gendo states that he wants to bring Rei and Shinji closer. He clearly anticipates that if given the right nodge, his son and Ayanami will warm up to each other. What makes him think so?

[URL=http://img268.imageshack.us/i/3smallkg.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Time: 57 min 54 sec
[URL=http://img245.imageshack.us/i/4smallg.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Time: 57 min 57 sec

The nodge. I don't think that it's hard to guess who inspired Ritsuko to make such a request. And why Shinji, of all people? It's almost as if they were hoping that something would start to naturally move between the two of them.

I don't want to sound rude, but ignoring the fact that Gendo pulled some strings to get the Shinji/Rei relationship off the ground is ignoring the story. And, this is only my personal opinion, but it seems to me Gendo was pretty sure about that the two will eventually get along. Again, what makes him sure?

View Original PostThe Goose wrote:First, if that were true, it would destroy Rei's whole character arc throughout Rebuild so far.

Or open up the door for some emotional turmoil on Rei's part, and some serious drama in general.

But, at the end of the day, Gendo doesn't care at all about Rei.

But does Rei know that? Sure, her residence is sucky, but otherwise, Gendo eats with her, smiles with her, rescues her (after the Unit-00 contact experiment), etc.

MastaEgg
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MastaEgg » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:02 pm

Gendo can't afford to put Rei in a decent apartment. Not unless he wants to loose that 5 star penthouse ;)

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Ok, I'll agree with you on Gendo knowing that Rei and Shinji getting along, but I still don't buy that some part of Yui is influencing Rei's personality. The only reason why Rei shows any interest in Shinji is because of how he has acted toward her. If some part of Yui were influencing her then her interest would be purely unconditional. She would be immediately drawn to Shinji without question. Gendo wouldn't have needed to get Shinji and Rei closer if that were the case. Plus, Rei didn't show any interest despite Gendo prodding Shinji to get closer to her. It isn't until after the battle with the Sixth Angel that Rei and Shinji hit it off and it wasn't because Rei was reminded of someone else or that she felt some unknown relationship with him. It was because she saw that Shinji cares for her truly. That rescue he did and future actions have proved that to her.

But does Rei know that? Sure, her residence is sucky, but otherwise, Gendo eats with her, smiles with her, rescues her (after the Unit-00 contact experiment), etc.

True, Rei doesn't know, but we can see that her allegiance is starting to shift from Gendo to Shinji (since we see in the second film that she's abandoned Gendo's glasses and has taken Shinji's tape player.) Clearly, she is starting to see who really cares about her as a person.

First, if that were true, it would destroy Rei's whole character arc throughout Rebuild so far.

Or open up the door for some emotional turmoil on Rei's part, and some serious drama in general.

It wouldn't make much sense though since Rei hasn't shown any traits of Yui and she hasn't shown that any of her actions or reactions toward people have been directed by Yui's personality.

NatTheWriter
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby NatTheWriter » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:18 pm

It wouldn't make much sense though since Rei hasn't shown any traits of Yui and she hasn't shown that any of her actions or reactions toward people have been directed by Yui's personality.

We have yet to be given a flashback like episode 21. Q is definitely going to give us some backstory ("NERV taken into custody" -> Fuyu gets interrogated -> we learn about Yui and all that), but for now, we're pretty much in the dark. We don't know anything about Yui's personality yet apart from "cares about Shinji".

...I'm not sure if the original series' Rei had anything in common with Yui personality-wise, either, apart from "cares about Shinji". ^^;

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:13 pm

View Original PostThe Goose wrote:She would be immediately drawn to Shinji without question. Gendo wouldn't have needed to get Shinji and Rei closer if that were the case.

Well, i don't think we can say for sure how exactly would the Yui shining through mechanism would take effect, and what did Gendo exactly anticipate. Of course, i also am, merley specualting. Trying to make sense of Gendo's plans and whatnot.

Another thing, when Shinji was fried after the first battle with Ramiel, Rei was sent to tell him of what's to come. Another orchastrated bonding moment, perhaps?

(since we see in the second film that she's abandoned Gendo's glasses and has taken Shinji's tape player.)

Which was given to Shinji by Gendo. Rei knows that. During the helltrain sequence, Shinji says that he doesn't want it anymore. Yet Rei takes it up. And when they hug during the climax, Rei tells Shinji that she is sorry that she couldn't fix things between him and Gendo. I say that she has yet to give up on Gendo copmletely.

That's a matter of how you interpret Rei's actions.

View Original PostNatTheWriter wrote:We have yet to be given a flashback like episode 21. Q is definitely going to give us some backstory

Personally, i think it would be totally awesome if Shinji tripping balls in Unit-01 and the Nerv flashbacks would be merged, and Yui would get to narrate the past to Shinji.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”