Beast Mode, God Mode, Limiters, Plug Depth

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:57 pm

A assume from the way they describe it that plug depth is quantified the same way as degrees celsius, in that 'zero' isn't the absolute minimum, but rather the border of a change in state (water freezing/pilot tanging)
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:14 pm

I'm starting to think that Mari's plugsuit somehow protected her from tanging. That's why it "activated" when she spun up Beast Mode. Just a random idea.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:23 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:I'm starting to think that Mari's plugsuit somehow protected her from tanging. That's why it "activated" when she spun up Beast Mode. Just a random idea.

The plugsuit lights in Rebuild follow no logic whatever as far as I can tell. Sometimes they indicate pain - and apparently cause physical wounds to the pilot, too - what the fuck?! - but sometimes they just seem to be powerup meters.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:53 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:The plugsuit lights in Rebuild follow no logic whatever as far as I can tell. Sometimes they indicate pain - and apparently cause physical wounds to the pilot, too - what the fuck?! - but sometimes they just seem to be powerup meters.

But the plugsuits weren't emitting light by themselves at any point in Rebuild so far besides Mar's plugsuit in Beast Mode, and arguably the tubes on her plugsuit in Eva-05.

All other instances where A.T. field haxmagic egorape synchro feedback burns and stuff that were caused by the Eva, and thus, the pilot, receiving damage. That's consistent in NME itself.

Mari's plugsuit lit up without any interference from an Angel, plus her wrist disks™ were spinning like madness, so i guess the suit itself was somehow involved. Either it forced synchro or helped the pilot not to turn into whatever they turn into in NME when plug depth reaches a certain value... or it just looks cool.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

wjr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby wjr » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:49 am

I think the beast is definitely referring to mari's eva-02. Shinji's Eva-01 has nothing to do with it. In fact, on the other hand, eva-01/Yui is turning into God mode. That's a very nice contrast and definitely a quantum-leap forward from the original anime series.

In the old anime series, Eva-01 is the beast that devoured Zeruel, It was brutal, primal and gut-wrenching, but there is nothing profound, elegant or graceful about it. Whereas in the new version, Shinji fight back at Zeruel with a singular purpose: he wants his girl back. Anyone who has gone through relationship would understand that when you are after a girl you love, NOTHING else would matter and I would equally not give a **** if the world ends tomorrow. Now that is way better than the old series where there is just a lowly animal pawning his prey.

As if the directors fear we don't grasp that enough, they added in the Mari as the stark contrast, Now eva-02 is the new beast, and there is nothing beautiful about it. It is a lowly creature and very well deserve the defeat in the hands of angel Zeruel. By showing that the directors are telling us that it may be *COOL* to be a utilitarian taking advantage of irrationalism and extremism/radicalism for the sake of getting the job done, but that is so weak and pale in front of sincere love and pure strength of belief and will.

Therefore, to me the Zeruel battle is hands-down the best moment of the whole eva series, Evangelion is finally starting to make sense and shaking off the pseudo-religious crap it had previously trying to bull**** us. The ending scene where Shinji is forcing his way towards Rei says it all: You Can't Advance, - through the AT field - the barrier in every person's heart, but then again Shinji just breaks through. That's the whole of the "plug depth", - it's in the heart.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:07 pm

View Original Postwjr wrote: Whereas in the new version, Shinji fight back at Zeruel with a singular purpose: he wants his girl back. Anyone who has gone through relationship would understand that when you are after a girl you love, NOTHING else would matter and I would equally not give a **** if the world ends tomorrow. Now that is way better than the old series where there is just a lowly animal pawning his prey.

Well said. *awww*
I don't agree with most of the rest of your post, but ZeBeasto might have been intended to make up for the lack of berserk!Eva01 biologic horror, just as the Bardiel fight was. (They made it even more violent than the original)
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Indeed. Yet another way the events in Rebuild movies are a mirror image of the events in the NGE series.

And while the Bardiel event is mentioned, the Rebuild version represented Asuka strangling Shinji, in a cruel reversal of EoE.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:57 pm

View Original Postwjr wrote:In the old anime series, Eva-01 is the beast that devoured Zeruel, It was brutal, primal and gut-wrenching, but there is nothing profound, elegant or graceful about it. Whereas in the new version, Shinji fight back at Zeruel with a singular purpose: he wants his girl back. (snip) Now that is way better than the old series where there is just a lowly animal pawning his prey.

You're making the mistake of comparing the two scenes on superficial appearances alone. On the surface, #19 Eva-01 appears to just be a beast going on a cannibalistic rampage. On the surface, 2.XX Shinji/Eva-01 appears to be unlocking godly power for the singular purpose of saving the girl.

Digging a little deeper: #19 Eva-01 is a mother who has responded to her son's plea for help protecting humanity from the Angel threat, and who also uses the opportunity to snag a power-up as part of her long-term mission to subvert Seele's plans.*

Digging a little deeper: 2.XX Shinji is not just 'saving the girl'; he's selfishly compensating for his inability to save Asuka, attempting to retrieve something he associates with maternal comfort, quite possibly desiring the world's destruction on a subconscious level (Eva = mirror of heart; exists for the wishes of man and nothing else; etc.), becoming more like his father, and so on. All of these things have to be taken into consideration.

As if the directors fear we don't grasp that enough, they added in the Mari as the stark contrast, Now eva-02 is the new beast, and there is nothing beautiful about it.

As far as I know, interview segments spelling out the intention for Eva-02 beast mode haven't been translated yet...

* The primal outburst can be interpreted several ways, and warrants discussion of its own. One item I'll randomly provide for consideration here: note that Eva-01 "goes backwards" in the process of "going forward", i.e., ascends to a higher state only by first regressing to a more primitive one. The Eva-01 incident reminds me quite a lot of Altered States, wherein a scientist, as part of an ongoing effort to transcend the limits of human perception and experience, briefly devolves into an Australopithecus and kills/eats a sheep during a naked rampage. I'm rather curious how much this motif turns up in sci-fi, but I think I've OT-rambled enough for one post.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

MaskedOmega
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MaskedOmega » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:26 pm

So was Shinji in complete control of EVA 01 when it went angelic? It seems unrealistic that he would know he can regenerate the EVA's arm into light or at the very least turn his light arm into shapes to push back an angel.

Also, was there some significance about Mari's sneeze near the end of the movie when she talks about Shinji and how things just work out for him?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:20 pm

View Original PostMaskedOmega wrote:So was Shinji in complete control of EVA 01 when it went angelic? It seems unrealistic that he would know he can regenerate the EVA's arm into light or at the very least turn his light arm into shapes to push back an angel.

We won't know until 3.0 is out, sadly. It could have been all of Shinji's control, it could be all of Yui's, or it could be a blend of Shinji and Yui working together. (I'm in favor of the last one, considering Shinji was climbing into the 10th Angel to save Rei at one point yet Eva-01 was still doing its (her?) thing.)

Also, was there some significance about Mari's sneeze near the end of the movie when she talks about Shinji and how things just work out for him?

I think that was just meant to be moe (for Mari), but other than that, dunno.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Oy, let's not get into the "is Yui sentient within Unit 01" question. I hate that one. Also, my interpretation is that Shinji is in such a wild, berserker rage that he doesn't even realize what he's doing other than saving Rei. That whole sequence is pretty weird and kind of nonsensical in terms of Eva's lore, but trying to make sense of Eva in literal terms is not always the best idea.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:You don't go to the Discussion section very much, do you? :wink: (Though, MaskedOmega's question is in the wrong thread... :Splits: )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:25 pm

LOl. We've come so far that we are pondering if there's meaning in sneezing XD
Well, it was simply pretty cold where she put on her plugsuit XD
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:56 pm

Actually, I stumbled across that Japanese Livedoor wiki (where the 2.0 and 1.0 Japanese script is) that mentioned how "scent" in 2.0 is strongly tied to life versus death... (Kaji and Shinji's talk about the ocean and marine life and Second Impact, Shinji helping Kaji in the garden and the smell of dirt, Mari saying how Shinji smells of LCL...Maybe some other things.)

Though I guess Mari sneezing doesn't tie in too much to that (unless you REALLY REALLY stretch things that somehow sneezing is releasing life or something :P), but still, an interesting thought.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”