Beast Mode, God Mode, Limiters, Plug Depth

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:35 pm

schismatics wrote:I always thought of it as Eva-02 is descending (lol devil horns and pretty much just an angry animal) and Eva-01 is ascending (the halo and being relatively calm compared Eva-02).

I guess that is one way to abstractly contrast their respective "modes", but, still, both represent instances of innate Evangelion power being liberated from the shackles normally placed upon it.

slkdragon wrote:I can't recall what it was exactly that caused me to think this (snip)

If you can remember anything concrete that gave you this impression, that would help. Dialogue, info on computer screens...

My offhand guess is that it has something to do with either or both of these?

HYUGA:
To think the Eva had a function like this...

RITSUKO:
Despite shedding its humanity, and being specialized for combat, the Eva's Second Beast configuration is losing the fight...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Its kinda like a "back-up plan", if the Eva is losing why not shift it into that mode and let it go nuts....On the Enemy that is.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:49 pm

So when beast mode actually activated, it seemed that the flank armor sorta shrank.....Now Beastly appearances is undertandable because it's an organic being and metamorphic abilities are entirely possible, however, How did the armor change shape? Each plate of armor seemes to be one solid peice...Since it's Asuka's Unit I suppose Thermal Expansion is the Answer ( or the opposite), or did it simply go INTO the Eva?
On the path to Universal Understanding.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:42 am

The armor is not all one piece. How would that even work?

The armor changed shape because it's made of multiple parts, obviously.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:51 pm

I understand that The armor is compused of three parts, the two belly plates and the pelvic plate, but what I wanna know is how the two belly plates on Unit 02 shrank

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:31 pm

When stuff is drawn by hand, objects with a seemingly fixed shape become surprisingly susceptible to spontaneous mutations.

I can't check the camrip ATM to see precisely what you're referring to, though my first thought would be that the torso segments were drawn smaller to make room for the protruding limiters.

I do seem to recall Eva-02 becoming even more off-model than some kind of induced metamorphosis would explain (e.g. the helmet), and the animation getting nearly slapstick-ridiculous in some cuts.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:40 pm

The limiters allow Nerv to have some sort of control over the Evangelion and to limit its power. Once those are broken, the Evangelion itself becomes significantly more powerful. We saw this happen in the original series but Yui was in control whereas in Rebuild Shinji is in control.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:57 pm

Grimmjow wrote:We saw this happen in the original series but Yui was in control

"Limiters" as a concept didn't exist in the original. Ritsuko did, however, tell us that the Eva's armor plating (especially the shoulder pylons?) was really some kind of restraint system.

whereas in Rebuild Shinji is in control.

You didn't read the whole thread, did you...? See my post earlier which takes this assumption to task.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:38 pm

Reichu wrote: the Eva's armor plating (especially the shoulder pylons?) was really some kind of restraint system.

Yeah the sholder pylons did sorta completely explode in order to make room for two limiters per shoulder, how they fit in there Im not sure how exactly they fit in there though....

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 pm

I thought the shoulder pylons were just meant to guide the Eva up the launch rails and provide storage for on board weapons.
Lolfreudian

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:01 pm

wonderluster wrote:Yeah the sholder pylons did sorta completely explode in order to make room for two limiters per shoulder, how they fit in there Im not sure how exactly they fit in there though....

"Limiter space".

MAD wrote:I thought the shoulder pylons were just meant to guide the Eva up the launch rails and provide storage for on board weapons.

Which canon are you talking about? In the original, they were restraints doubling as other things. In Rebuild -- since Eva-01 can start shifting into an "energy being" with the pylons on, presumably the restraint function has been completely transferred to internal "limiters"?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:07 pm

You do bring up a point Reichu but Mari seemed to have quite a bit of control over her Eva so why not Shinji? Whenever Yui went insane in the original series, the pilot was either knocked out or completely turned into LCL.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:26 pm

Grimmjow wrote:You do bring up a point Reichu but Mari seemed to have quite a bit of control over her Eva so why not Shinji?

Consider the "commands" Mari would have been giving Eva-02 -- basically, just ordering the Eva's physical body to do things. This is a bit more believable than Shinji telling Eva-01 to do the things we see: sprout a halo, grow an ATF limb (and otherwise use the ATF in ways he was never trained), shoot eye beams, fetch a soul from a core, levitate, grow wings, merge with a giant naked Rei, make the 3I vortex appear and devastate the landscape, trigger Eva-01's transformation into an energy being...

Well, you get the idea. Is a definition of "control" that bears little to no resemblance to normal Eva piloting being utilized? If the Eva is doing things that Shinji couldn't possibly be telling her to do -- in the same way a pilot tells an Eva to walk or to stab a foe -- then how is he in "control"?

Simple answer is that he isn't, and there is more going on than meets the eye. Given that there is a pilot-Eva connection, and the boundary between Shinji and the Eva has been reduced to dangerous levels, is it at all far-fetched that the Eva is playing a direct role in events, as well?

This isn't directly related to the original topic, of course. -o-;

Whenever Yui went insane in the original series, the pilot was either knocked out or completely turned into LCL.

NGE probably isn't going to hold the answers for understanding what's happening in Rebuild.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:42 pm

So basically Shinji activated the Zero System. One task. Let the giant robot get it done.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:17 am

well the beasto mode animation was shoddy at best, so lets not make hasty conclusions, in my first view i actually saw the armor being breaking off, since i only saw once, cant really remember well.
hoepfully they'll redraw this sequence for the dvd for eva 02 likeness.
ANATA BAKA !?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:44 am

I thought the animation was awesome. I also thought the camrip was crap.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:56 pm

Ornette wrote:I thought the animation was awesome. I also thought the camrip was crap.

perhaps my term was incorret didnt mean animation per se, but the character model, it became all skinny and and stretechy.
ANATA BAKA !?

Grimmjow
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grimmjow » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Ornette wrote:I thought the animation was awesome. I also thought the camrip was crap.

Camrips are always crap. Once we get the DVD release, we'll get some quality illegal uploads. :w00:

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:53 pm

What if...
Shinji wasn't in full control of the eva, example Asuka and eva 02 in #25'...
Shinji just was thinking how to turn the angel into jam and the eva responded (with the eye beams and Nero's wicked arm from devil may cry 4)
AND... If I'm not mistaken, in the scene where the world is 'bout to be turned into tang, Gendo and Fuyutsuki are having a chat and one of them said something like
-At last, thanks to those two, the release of unit 01 is complete...
Maybe It's Yui controling the eva (she awakened)... Whith Shinji in... Dunno...

chibibunny713
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby chibibunny713 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:33 am

From an obsessive cosplayer's point of view, I noticed some things about "Beast Mode" and Mari and Asuka's plugsuits.
Mari's first suit (the green one) has gauntlets with those glowing green tubes attached to three long straight dowels.
Asuka's test suit (the clear one) has those same dowels on her gauntlets.
Mari's second suit (the pink one) has spinning green activation things on her hands and chest.
Asuka's test suit also has the same green circles in places.
Mari can pilot Asuka's Unit 2 in Beast Mode, which utilizes the green spinners and her own Unit 5 which used the dowels with-tubes-attached.
Maybe Asuka's Test plugsuit is linked to the ease of using Beast Mode in Unit 2 the way Mari was able to use it in Unit 5 - but isn't completely necessary (like how you can still pilot without the plugsuit or interface - they just make it easier).

I need a better image of the outfits to see more clearly and figure out if these aren't just similarities (and to fine tune my Pink Mari and Test Asuka cosplays)...
http://calamitouscosplay.blogspot.com/

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”