Rebuild of Evangelion 1.11 U.S release: March 9th 2010

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:29 pm

View Original PostTaekmkm wrote:Well, Colleen's major roles were either boys I.E. Shin from Shin-Chan and Luffy from One Piece or teenage girls I.E. Rachel from Detective Conan.

I've only heard her use this voice in xxxHolic, which is basically a hippie Ritsuko.

Hate to go off-topic, but LUFFY?! NO WAY THAT COULDN'T BE COLLEEN'S PERFORMANCE... wait a minute, it IS true! Well, I wonder how she does as Gohan in Dragon Ball Z Kai. (which is true)

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Saw the Blu-ray @ my friend's house this afternoon. It was disappointing.
Some of the imperfections were quite noticeable.

I think watching the DVD on a big screen is always more satisfying in general.

Lack of good extra features pissed me off too.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:47 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Lack of good extra features pissed me off too.

Lack of extras or no extras at all is always disappointing.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:17 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Saw the Blu-ray @ my friend's house this afternoon. It was disappointing.
Some of the imperfections were quite noticeable.

There was problems with image quality? :(

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Xard wrote:There was problems with image quality?

In retrospect, it might have been a result of his thoroughly shitty PS3 blu-ray player, but from what I could see, yes. Probably, you should go and find another opinion on this before dropping any serious cash on it, because from what I could see, I wouldn't be able to justify its price tag compared to the DVD.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:43 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:In retrospect, it might have been a result of his thoroughly shitty PS3 blu-ray player, but from what I could see, yes. Probably, you should go and find another opinion on this before dropping any serious cash on it, because from what I could see, I wouldn't be able to justify its price tag compared to the DVD.

shucks. I remember someone posting screencaps before and praising the release (and BD review site did that too, certainly) but that might've been DVD...I don't know

Well, I'm waiting for someone else's opinion before making any decisions (since it might be PS3's fault :) )

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:54 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:shucks. I remember someone posting screencaps before and praising the release (and BD review site did that too, certainly) but that might've been DVD...I don't know

Well, I'm waiting for someone else's opinion before making any decisions (since it might be PS3's fault :) )

Well, I played the Blu-ray on an LG Blu-ray Home Theater system (on a 47 inch LCD HD screen in HDMI), and, yes, I did spot minor, just minor, imperfections, such as banding. But, overall, I didn't see other imperfections. Colors are natural, no edge enhancement or artifacts were detected, and detail is top notch. So, maybe, it was the player's fault, or something else. I'll look further into the presentation for anything else that could be wrong...

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:51 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Well, I played the Blu-ray on an LG Blu-ray Home Theater system (on a 47 inch LCD HD screen in HDMI), and, yes, I did spot minor, just minor, imperfections, such as banding. But, overall, I didn't see other imperfections. Colors are natural, no edge enhancement or artifacts were detected, and detail is top notch. So, maybe, it was the player's fault, or something else. I'll look further into the presentation for anything else that could be wrong...

I myself played the Eva 1.11 blu ray on my PS3 as well and saw some minor imperfections. Some noticeable frame rate drops, however, i;m not sure if this is the blu ray itself, the cgi shots from Khara or the Blu ray player itself inside the PS3.

These arent really so much issues but nitpicks. The Evangelion 1.11 blu ray is a superb disc set and shouldnt be passed up by Eva fans. Superior colour, movement, sound....the package is complete. Really what more could you ask for? And the extras that show the Shiro Sagisu montages with the artwork composite images is worthy enough for the purchase of the disc itself.

I have no idea why some people arent satisfied with the extras.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:39 am

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:I myself played the Eva 1.11 blu ray on my PS3 as well and saw some minor imperfections. Some noticeable frame rate drops, however, i;m not sure if this is the blu ray itself, the cgi shots from Khara or the Blu ray player itself inside the PS3.

These arent really so much issues but nitpicks. The Evangelion 1.11 blu ray is a superb disc set and shouldnt be passed up by Eva fans. Superior colour, movement, sound....the package is complete. Really what more could you ask for? And the extras that show the Shiro Sagisu montages with the artwork composite images is worthy enough for the purchase of the disc itself.

I have no idea why some people arent satisfied with the extras.

For the frame rate dropping, I think it's the movie itself. I checked on my LG player and the ps3, (different TV). Plus, some anime movies don't have smooth frame rates, so it can't be the player's fault.

For the extras, they don't really go behind the scenes of the movie. No interviews, commentary, script (which the Japanese Blu-ray had) or a trivia track. Even though it looks like a big list on the menu, the running time for the extras is less than an hour. But I wouldn't complain, since I'm not big into extras.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby BattleMonkey » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:58 am

Disc looks great on BR, not disappointed.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:53 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:In retrospect, it might have been a result of his thoroughly shitty PS3 blu-ray player, but from what I could see, yes. Probably, you should go and find another opinion on this before dropping any serious cash on it, because from what I could see, I wouldn't be able to justify its price tag compared to the DVD.

Probably his TV more likely, or he didn't bother hooking up the HDMI cable. It looks absolutely beautiful on my TV, much nicer than the DVD, and I've always used a PS3 for Blu-Rays.

Electric Sachiel wrote:Some noticeable frame rate drops, however, i;m not sure if this is the blu ray itself, the cgi shots from Khara or the Blu ray player itself inside the PS3.

It's probably the scenes that are entirely CGI that you might be noticing this, such as Misato and Ritsuko riding on that ski-lift type thing, or the trains coming in with the equipment for the battle at the end of the movie against Ramiel. Those scenes do have a bit of a different feel. Nothing to do with the disc or the PS3, just the effect of going from one type of animation to another.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:42 pm

View Original PostDr. Webster wrote:It's ridiculously good. The picture quality on the 1.11 DVD is excellent, but it's just plain awesome on Blu-ray.

Sweet, I still need to pick up my copy soon. The only funi title I watch on Blu Ray was the 5th DBZ movie which look rather nice in HD. I don't mind owning the same movies or tv shows on DVD twice since I had to buy several dvd editons of the Dragon Ball series.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:34 am

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:Sweet, I still need to pick up my copy soon. The only funi title I watch on Blu Ray was the 5th DBZ movie which look rather nice in HD. I don't mind owning the same movies or tv shows on DVD twice since I had to buy several dvd editons of the Dragon Ball series.

I'm getting my copy of 1.11 myself!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:44 am

View Original PostShogo-Kun wrote:I'm getting my copy of 1.11 myself!

GET IT ASAP!

JupiterCallisto
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby JupiterCallisto » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:24 am

I just got a copy of it...

I think it looks really nice on the HD TV downstairs.

The pamphlet it comes with is really nice also and helps explain the series to newcomers but the fact that there aren't any good special features sucks.

asukafan05
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby asukafan05 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:28 am

Is there a very big difference between the 1.0 version and the 1.11 version? I have 1.0 but don't want to spend if its going to give similar results. Now if it had the 3D technology, I'd totally get it and use my $8 3D glasses from theatre. :)

losername
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby losername » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:55 am

I've read the Blu Ray for Evangelion 1.11 is reference quality and from my initial watch I observed no issues. Fantastic looking disc.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:14 am

1.11 is original lightning a.k.a. no darkness. You're not really missing anything except like more Misato and Ritsuko swimsuit scene *Shrug* but holy hell, it's visually better in every way.
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:GET IT ASAP!

I got it this Saturday and it looks AWESOME!!!!!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”