Rebuild scenes artisticly overdone? [NO SPOILERS]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Number 44
Adam

Rebuild scenes artisticly overdone? [NO SPOILERS]

•      
  •      

Postby Number 44 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:05 pm

I was browsing some stills from Rebuild, and thinking how some of them actually looked like they went overboard adding coloring and lighting. Some scenes, especially in 1.0, look like mirror images of the originals, with added details. Almost like they drew over the old cells.

That reminded me of Broken Saints, that Flash-animation series from some years back. For the DVD, they did retouched the originals scenes. Some came out cool, while some look pretty ridiculous.

Is this a valid comparison? And am I the only one that thinks some of the Rebuild scenes look too busy? Does anyone even remember Broken Saints?!

Screen captures to back up you opinion are more than welcome.
No matter how many times you watch your copy of End of Evangelion, the ending is not going to change.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Rebuild scenes artisticly overdone?

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:18 pm

I think Rebuild's scenes are just fine, perfect even! But that's just me.
Number 44 wrote:Does anyone even remember Broken Saints?!

I've never heard of it.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:49 am

I rather like the stylized color scheme.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:52 pm

I personally love the Bladerunner level of detail.

I never got very far into Broken Saints, but the screen comparisons I saw for the DVD version I seem to remember feeling like a great improvement. The voice acting, on the other hand, ruined it for me. A lot of what read nicely as text seemed lugubrious and silly when read.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:09 pm

I love the little touches and details put into the films. For instance, in 1.0 when Rei briefs Shinji about Yashima and leaves, she actually looks sad just before she heads out the door. It's little touches like that that make Rebuild awesome I think.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:01 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I love the little touches and details put into the films. For instance, in 1.0 when Rei briefs Shinji about Yashima and leaves, she actually looks sad just before she heads out the door. It's little touches like that that make Rebuild awesome I think.

I agree with you, they did an amazing job!
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Elmion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Elmion » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:00 am

Even if it was overdone, I wouldn't complain. In fact, I expected nothing less from Rebuild. After all, they have a bigger budget and better technology.

I personally love seeing the old scenes redrawn with higher quality.
Given the choice, would you choose this reality?

Lui
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lui » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:31 am

The one scene I had a problem with is during operation yashima when Ramiel attacks and there's a floating truck, the big boxy one.

It stays there for the entire scene in that position, annoys me every time I see it. Obviously I can't speak for Rebuild 1.268 SP3, as I haven't seen it, but on 1.01 and the cinema version it's there.

But yeah, can't complain about anything else.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 1000 character limit. Images, quotes, and code tags are not allowed in Signatures.

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:10 pm

Just from the trailers alone, it has a very sfumato kind of look, hasn't it?
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:00 pm

^ In my experience, most digitally colored stuff has that low contrast deal going on.

Anyways, i like the added level of detail, though i feel sometimes the CGI gets noticeable, especially when vehicles are involved (the buildings and the Evas don't suffer so much from it).
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:57 pm

Lui wrote:The one scene I had a problem with is during operation yashima when Ramiel attacks and there's a floating truck, the big boxy one.
It's not floating, it's being tiled up into two wheels from the air rushing past.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Animation being overdone and too busy? **** no!!! I wouldn't want the Rebuild films to appear any less detailed and spiffy as they are now. I mean after all these are films being released to a general release in theatres across Japan. Why hold back when you have tonnes of money to really flex the creativity and technical expertise of your animators and art staff at Khara?

Jesus. Between 1.0 and 2.0, these Rebuild films are everything that i could have hoped for when looking at new updated visuals and dynamic action scenes. Something that i thought was missing from the Eva movies of past.
To have people complaining that the eye candy in 1.0 and 2.0 are too distracting is just pure *******!!!

You might as well say that most other recent Hollywood blockbusters are too distracting to watch due to the advances and indeed the creative liberties with CGI visual effects that feature so prominently now.

Dr. Webster
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Webster » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:48 pm

Electric Sachiel wrote:Between 1.0 and 2.0, these Rebuild films are everything that i could have hoped for when looking at new updated visuals and dynamic action scenes. Something that i thought was missing from the Eva movies of past.

Yeah, watching Rebuild really makes me wish they'd release at least EoE on Blu-ray (or at least anamorphic widescreen). The scene in Rebuild 1.01 that really got me was when Misato hands Shinji his NERV training manual (in the car, on the conveyor down to NERV HQ); there's a shot where it shows the backside of the manual and right next to the barcode is the label "Printed in Japan". It's small enough that I was surprised it was legible. You don't get that level of detail from the original TV series.

And then the quality of this clip just blows my mind (hence wanting EoE on Blu-ray):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rOFdxr3HIk&feature=related

Sharaz Destler
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sharaz Destler » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:42 pm

I just saw a trailer for 2.0 on Youtube. One thing I'm loving is the newfound madness of Tokyo-3 as a modular city, like Sim City gone horribly berserk.
"To the rational mind, nothing is inexplicable...only unexplained."--The Doctor, "Doctor Who".

MetalGearFlaccid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MetalGearFlaccid » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:21 pm

I appreciate how Anno, instead of going all 'George Lucas" on us, he instead will make some scenes exactly the same, or even completely remake the entire shot. There's no "CG Jabba the Hut" feel about it, if you know what I mean.

I'd kind of compare (at least the first film) it to Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. While this game and MGS1 are technically the same product, Twin Snakes has a much more different feel than the original. Like Rebuild, it reflects the maturation and the development of ideas the creators both originally had and also showed what new ideas and techniques the directors came up with in the years afterward.
So basically, the end of the world is caused by a giant purple lady dressed like a robot?

AWESOME

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:15 pm

In Kojima's case...laughing at physics.

Because everyone can jump off a building, bounce off an active missile, and have enough time to shoot a rocket at a Hind D >.>
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

MetalGearFlaccid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MetalGearFlaccid » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:19 pm

*Nods Very Seriously*

Yes. And...?

--

God, if Kojima and Anno teamed up...
End of Zone of The Enders!
So basically, the end of the world is caused by a giant purple lady dressed like a robot?

AWESOME

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:56 am

MetalGearFlaccid wrote:God, if Kojima and Anno teamed up...
End of Zone of The Enders!

YES
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

evaunit13
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby evaunit13 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:43 pm

some parts of the set up of operation yashima, where it's all the trains and vehicles setting up the power supplies, popped out to me and looked almost real.

i'm kinda bothered sometimes when you can tell the eva is cg and everything else isn't, like in the sahaquiel scene where 01 bends down before they start running. but overall it doesn't detract from the movies imo.
i want rebuild

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”