3rd Angel ("Tunniel")

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:31 pm

Mm. When you said "Angels are a different form of life than Evangelions", I thought you were using the word "Angels" the way NGE does-- that is, including Adam and Lilith.

Though NGE also uses it to include humans, so

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:08 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Adam and Lilith are classified as Angels.

I've always found it a bit weird to classify them as angels, especially when you consider that Adam and the other angels have nothing to do with Lilith...

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:00 am

It's because generally every living thing on the planet Earth is an Angel.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:03 am

Except the nonhuman offspring of Lilith.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:29 am

Which are pretty much unimportant to the story and are semi-arguable, thus why the safe "generally" tag.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Brutalman
Embryo

Weird free association about Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Brutalman » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:17 am

After seeing that picture of Tunniel's midsection I thought:

- Without the midsection that appears to be a recent add-on, Tunniel looks a whole lot like the skeleton of a snake. Not exactly, but pretty close; basically a skull with an extended ribcage. Before the autopsy Kaji mentioned, it could easily have been a fairly snake-like angel.

- If the first two angels were Adam and Lillith, is this Anno's way of making the third angel the Serpent?

- I went to look up the bilblical serpent on Wikipedia, and found that the word "seraphim" derives from one of the Hebrew words for snake "sarap", though the Serpent in Genesis is referred to by another term "nahash."
Not exactly a gentleman.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:55 am

that's very interesting, brutalman. i always thought tunniel's shape was just rule of cool (NEW ANGEL. NEW EVA. FIGHTING. IN A TUNNEL!) but you never know with anno.

meanwhile, i finally got around to watching the first half of the 2.22 BD-rip and OMG TUNNY! I CAN FINALLY SEE YOU CLEARLY. oh happy day! :jiggy:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:50 pm

...Of course it's a serpent.

Of course I didn't see the blatantly obvious connection before.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:53 pm

I still want to know if those legs are part of the angel or a mechanical add-on... and for that matter, if the angel was acting on it's own or if that was a dummy plug malfunction in progress.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:55 pm

You'll probably never have a reply to that question. Until now, these new movies brought more new questions than answers.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:22 am

I wonder if Seele plastering their snakey logo ALL over Bethania Base has any relevance at all to this "serpent" thing.

View Original PostJinroh wrote:You'll probably never have a reply to that question.

Give it some time... Whatever they don't tie up by the end of NME, they can address later in lucrative supplemental items years after the fact!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:08 pm

You're right, why not. After all without "Evangelions 2" we wouldn't even know about the seeds and these kind of things that are essential to understand the show...

TheThirdChild
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TheThirdChild » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:27 am

Here’s a thought. Maybe the third angel was being used in an experiment to create a new type of Evangelion and Unit 06 is the final production model!
It’s supposed to be the “True Evangelion”, which is "a true God instead of a false God..." (If the subtitles I’ve got are correct) :tongue:

If it is true about them hacking off bits of the 3rd angel, maybe those bits were used to make Unit 05, which maybe one of the reasons why it doesn’t have proper arms or legs.

macrochaos
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby macrochaos » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:07 pm

View Original PostTheThirdChild wrote:Here’s a thought. Maybe the third angel was being used in an experiment to create a new type of Evangelion and Unit 06 is the final production model!
It’s supposed to be the “True Evangelion”, which is "a true God instead of a false God..." (If the subtitles I’ve got are correct) :tongue:

If it is true about them hacking off bits of the 3rd angel, maybe those bits were used to make Unit 05, which maybe one of the reasons why it doesn’t have proper arms or legs.

Didn't you read the other posts?
Tunny was vivisected

So much speculations and theories are makin me dizzy
The 'SEELE monster pet' theory seems likely to me

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:23 pm

So, since I'm a new member I don't really know if diggin' up old threads is frowned upon around here, if it is just... well, frown upon me, I'll get the message!

I'd like to point out to something that seems to have been overlooked in this thread.
Ryukin75 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
Evangelion is loaded with biblical descriptions from a lot of sources we all know. So does Unit 05 remind anyone of a knight with a joust and Tunniel a medieval dragon of sorts? Please go see on the web see some paintings of medieval dragons & knights. Knights slaying dragons on crusades was seen as doing the work of God back in the day. Even though they'd never find really find one... I read about this stuff in Art History.

When I read it I immediately thought of St. George, it makes so much sense. Even though we are encouraged not to take the religious references of the show too seriously I thought it'd be good to call attention to yet another one. That was quite a subtle reference and Ryukin75 made a nice observation. At least now I understand why Anno put the spear in Eva-05's arm, and why he rolls on wheels.

Maybe this has been pointed out in another thread and I didn't see, but in case it didn't I thought I'd mention it.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:56 pm

I still say we name him Kushiel until the folks at Gainax say otherwise.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:04 pm

Maybe we could call Eva-05 Georgie until/if we find out who's soul he holds. It is very likely we'll never find it out though.

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:05 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I still want to know if those legs are part of the angel or a mechanical add-on... and for that matter, if the angel was acting on it's own or if that was a dummy plug malfunction in progress.

I'm saying the legs are an add-on. I just watched the whole fight frame by frame, you can see various wires and motors and other little mechanical devices that have been installed onto the main skeletal part of the angel. Also, the angle itself is actually split in two and is connected by the bulbous leg mechanism. However, the legs themselves look fairly organic which leads me to believe that they were once part of the original angel.

As for the angel's actions, I think the angel was acting on its own. It seemed to have a goal it wanted to achieve, a dummy plug malfunction would probably be more of a senseless rampage. Besides, Mari crushed
the dummy plug looking structure and the angel still lashed out at her.
Lolfreudian

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:54 pm

View Original PostMad wrote:Also, the angle itself is actually split in two and is connected by the bulbous leg mechanism.

The Angel isn't "split in two" or anything. The mid-section of the body, to which all remaining limbs are attached, involves a heavy downward curve of the vertebral column. It looks different from the rest due to being covered in a dark material and bound by the system of gold-colored clamps.

I have some production images... but too tired to post right now...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mad
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Mad » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Ah okay, I see what your saying. It just seemed like it was being held together by the mechanical thing in the middle. I now see that is not the case.
Lolfreudian

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”