Evangelion 1.0 showing in San Francisco starting 9/11!!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:50 am

You can't drive yourself?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:39 pm

OKdesuKA wrote:You can't drive yourself?

No, for I do not have a license, nor a car to drive myself in. I only just turned 16 a few months ago, and I have larger priorities than my license.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:57 pm

Sachi: Couldn't you just take Cal-train or VTA (maybe that's a Bay Area only thing...)??

Anyway, I'm not sure if I'd go. If it's a weekly run, I'd probably go Saturday, if not, I'd go on Friday but at night sometime. I'll see.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Sachi: BART is available for your needs

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:14 pm

If only such luxuries were within my grasp. Nothing like that comes to my area. Mind the fact that I live in a middle-of-nowhere town just a little South East of Sacramento. that's about a 3 hour drive to San Francisco. But if indeed the showing of the film will go on for a week, then perhaps I can make it on the 12th. A lot more practical for myself and my ride.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Then your best bet would be AMTRAK. And it is only really about 2 hours from Sacramento. I know because I live North East of Sacramento.

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:25 pm

Sachi, I have the exact same situation. Cept I have to wait till the end of the month.....And I can bike.....
On the path to Universal Understanding.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:29 pm

squall.leonhart wrote:Then your best bet would be AMTRAK. And it is only really about 2 hours from Sacramento. I know because I live North East of Sacramento.

Did I mention I live an hour from Sac? ;D But c'mon, is my mother really going to drive me to an AMTRAK station to send me to the Bay Area and expect me to come back safely? My best bet is it showing on Saturday.
- Sachi

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:35 pm

This thread is now about Sachi's fear of trains.

Also, you should all feel lucky to actually get screenings. You should all find a way to get to one.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:38 pm

Fazmotron wrote:This thread is now about Sachi's fear of trains.

I'm Japanese. Your statement makes no sense.
- Sachi

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:02 pm

Sachi wrote:
squall.leonhart wrote:Then your best bet would be AMTRAK. And it is only really about 2 hours from Sacramento. I know because I live North East of Sacramento.

Did I mention I live an hour from Sac? ;D But c'mon, is my mother really going to drive me to an AMTRAK station to send me to the Bay Area and expect me to come back safely? My best bet is it showing on Saturday.

Lol, I forgot you weren't 18. Yeah, um, go with an adult then. And I wouldn't be afraid of the trains so much as the "people" in San Francisco (^_-).

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:34 pm

Oh shit, son. SHOWTIMES! :smirk:

I still have NO bloody clue if it's dubbed or subbed, but I don't care, I'm seeing this anyway! >_< Also, you need to do a bit of digging to find these on the site: http://www.sundancecinemas.com/choose.html (Go to the one that says Sundance Kubuki.) FINALLY the showtimes at least were updated!

I like their synopsis:
A teen must pilot a giant robot against a swarm of deadly creatures who want to destroy Earth.

THIS FRIDAY:

Evangelion 1.0 Aud 07 Rating: PG13 Length: 98 min.
1:40 PM 4:25 PM 7:10 PM 9:30 PM

SATURDAY:

11:20 AM 1:40 PM 4:25 PM 7:10 PM 9:30 PM

SUNDAY:

11:20 AM 1:40 PM 4:25 PM 7:10 PM 9:30 PM

MONDAY THE 14TH THRU THURSDAY THE 17TH:

1:40 PM 4:25 PM 7:10 PM 9:30 PM

No idea if this means it'd be showing Friday the 18th or not. I think the price is about $11/12 per ticket (I'm going by some...information on teh site) but I could be wrong since I've never been to the damn place.

Because of the times it plays, I'm probably going to go on Saturday (afternoon sometime) instead of this Friday (it'd be a night showing), but it depends on when my stepsister could take me there.

EDIT: If any of you fags really feel like meeting stalking me (such as Sachi), PM me or bug me when I'm on IRC so we could try to arrange seeing the film at the same day/time.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:26 pm

My boss and I will be seeing the 1340 showing on Sunday. She is an EVA virgin. If you want to see it with us, pm me. This is the only time we can go though.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:54 pm

Ha, sweet. I'll talk to the Maternal Figure and try to arrange us going on Saturday sometime in the afternoon. Preferably the 4:30pm showing. I'm excited now. I'll keep this post updated in alignment with my go-to status.

EDIT: Talked to my mom, we negotiated a 1:40pm showing on Sunday. :D

EDIT (2): Nevermind. D:
- Sachi

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Sachi: Daw, you're not going? :( That sucks.

I lucked out in that I'll be able to go tomorrow, Monday. ^_^ I think I'll most likely be going to the 1:40 PM showing.

Only thing that is a little annoying is I emailed Sundance Kubuki twice asking them if the showing is the English dub or Japanese with English subtitles, and I haven't heard a response either way. >_< I'm going regardless of course, but knowing what's in store would be nice.

Anybody that's going to the San Fran showing or already there (Squall?), if you could drop a line in this thread would version is playing, that'd be great.

I can't wait to finally see Eva on the big screen! :boingy:

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:06 pm

Aww... it sucks you couldn't see it with us. I was right there in seat B6.

SSD, I sent almost the same email you did and then some.
To whom it may concern:

I am certain you have received many email's similar to mine, however, I would like to have a few questions answered.

Your website claims that the "Sundance KABUKI CINEMAS" will show Evangelion 1.0: You are (not) alone on the new date of September 11, 2009. My questions are as follows:

1. Will the showing of Evangelion 1.0 last for one week similar to other showings at the Sundance Cinemas, or will it only show on September 11?
2. If the showing of Evangelion 1.0 will last for one week, when is the earliest I can reserve two seats for a showing of Evangelion 1.0 on September 13 and may I do this over the phone?
3. In what format will Evangelion 1.0 be exhibited; a 35mm print or 2K/4K Digital Cinema?
4. What language is the audio track; Japanese or English overdub?
5. If the audio is in Japanese, which company has provided the subtitled translation; GAINAX/Khara or Funimation Entertainment?

I would appreciate any information you have and I look forward to seeing Evangelion 1.0 in your theater.

Sincerely,

I actually talked to the projectionist there with the same questions.

The screen is not a multiplex big screen, but still bigger than most home theaters. The source is a Blu-Ray disc (remember, 1080p and 2K are almost the exact same resolutions) provided to them by Funimation. So it has the dub.

But the thing that killed me was the projector they used. It seemed it was an older DLP office projector. The resolution was atrocious. My guess it was more like 1024x768; not even true 720p. It probably was never meant to be used as a theater projector because the distance from lens to screen was too far and gave us both a screen door effect and the DLP color-wheel rainbow.

All in all, I liked it, and so did my boss.

P.S.: I want to take Briana Palencia out back and slap her with my d**k for f**king up Rei's voice.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:39 pm

Yeah I wasn't able to go. I can never trust my mom to follow through with plans if they involve "me" and "fun" without "her" somewhere in it.
- Sachi

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:28 am

Dub huh? At least I can then giggle at Spike's screams and see what Rami and Eva-01 sound like. :smirk:

Sucks about the projector though.

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:39 am

I like their synopsis: A teen must pilot a giant robot against a swarm of deadly creatures who want to destroy Earth.

They certainly got the gist of it didn't they?

I really can't wait to hear the dub, I really enjoyed the original so I can only hope they have vastly improved after all these years.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:05 pm

Just saw it in San Fran today.

Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. It's seriously a hell of a lot better than the original dub, that's for sure. My stepsister who hasn't seen Eva before thought the film was "good and interesting". ^_^

What was REALLY cool is my stepsister and I were the only ones at the 1:40 showing, we had the whole theater to ourselves. The projector wasn't as bad as I feared it would be, but I could see why some people would complain about it.

Sudance Kabuki's popcorn is to die for, they have REAL butter on it. :w00t: Also, the theater is a few doors down from San Francisco Kinokuniya (it's bigger then the one I've been to, but I didn't find much in the way of Eva stuff.) Also an interest point is the location of Sundance Kabuki is right in San Francisco Japantown, which is always fun.

My thoughts on the actual dub are here: http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=282658#282658

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”