Everyone seems a little more...

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:10 pm

DEMOLITION D+ wrote:For some reason that one thread about how the guy was hoping for a happy ending in RoE got locked, because the mods for this site have OCD

More like newbies need to LURK MOAR before creating something based on a pre-existing thread.

Or as :rulez: say:
Rules wrote:It is always better to post in a preexisting thread than to create a new one. Always check to see if a thread satisfying your specifications has already been made.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

DEMOLITION D+
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby DEMOLITION D+ » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:23 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:
DEMOLITION D+ wrote:For some reason that one thread about how the guy was hoping for a happy ending in RoE got locked, because the mods for this site have OCD

More like newbies need to LURK MOAR before creating something based on a pre-existing thread.

Or as :rulez: say:
Rules wrote:It is always better to post in a preexisting thread than to create a new one. Always check to see if a thread satisfying your specifications has already been made.

Then again, the thread that guy made was far enough from this topic that it merited it's own thread, as did a couple of my threads that have been deleted without explanation. And if he were to post in here, this point may not have been observed and discussed by as many people that would have if he were to create a new topic. Now if it were completely similar to this one, then I would understand and consider it locky-worthy, which it wasn't.

But it's fine, I won't argue and try and change anyone's ways around here. Honestly this is the only large Eva community out there I am happy to be a part of, and I don't want to do something to where I might be banned from it. Even if it means enduring harsh moderating procedures that feel as though they've been done just because someone was bored and wanted to expend their power.
The Fate of Destruction, is Also the Joy of Rebirth

Kaji has cute melons.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:19 pm

First off, it was a judgment call and just because a thread is locked doesn't mean it can't be unlocked later on.

Secondly, if you don't like the way things are happening, it's best to take it up with the Staff.

Now topic.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cress20
Embryo

HaPPy?

•      
  •      

Postby cress20 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 am

Well I got the feeling that the characters were made more friendly less extream and generally more realistic but thats just my view happy ending god no!
Yah

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:24 pm

I hope it will all come tumbling down before 3.0 is over.

Rebuild just wouldn't be Evangelion without a surreal, melancholy ending.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Duskbyday
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Duskbyday » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:28 pm

It all goes well for Shinji then BAM! Shinji GETS TRAUMATISED! :rei_dance:

but srsly it will all end horribly :D
(Your sig is kinda long. Maybe you could shorten it?)
"Mountain. Heavy are the mountains, something that changes through the ages. Sky. Blue sky. Something visible, something invisible. Sun. Something unique. Water. Something agreeable. Commander Ikari. Flowers. Many of them alike, many of them useless. Sky. Red, red sky. Red color. Red color that I hate. Water flow. Blood. The smell of blood. A woman that does not bleed. Made from the red soil are humans. Made by Man and Woman are humans. Town. Something that humans made. Eva. Something that humans made. Humans are what? Something that God made. Humans are things which humans made. The things I possess are my life and mind. The vessel of a mind. Entry plug, the throne of a soul.

Who is this? This is me. Who am I? What am I? What am I? What am I? What am I?

Great Genius Shinji-Sama
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Great Genius Shinji-Sama » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:45 pm

Ive already unintentionally gotten two strikes, so Im hoping this wont be my third :scared: but seiously it should have all that stuff, but just have it come around and be happy in the end. You know, its like The Truman Show or Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind, it was made when the main star was going through a depression, and Anno-sama was going through a depression when the orginal NGE was made, so hopefully happy Anno= Happy Ending? :heart:

Again, seeings how people were talking about the ending in this thread I HOPE Im not out of line. :scared: But back to the ACTUAL topic.......... they do seem more grounded. But then again, the entire series is having to be wrapped up in a great considerably less amount of time then they had to make the original series. :leekspin:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:43 am

In Rebuild Shinji's just repeating what he did with Kaworu in NGE.

When Kaworu showed up in NGE Shinji had personally cut all his ties with everyone in Tokyo-3 and was even neglecting Misato.

In Rebuild, due to Asuka's "Death" he's forcibly pushed everyone away, even Misato, Touji, & Kensuke. Once again Shinji has put himself in the fragile position of putting all his hopes and emotions into another INDIVIDUAL (...but Rei's a clone...oh dear god!).

Sure, his grasping for a final emotional connection with Rei here is more external than his "Well...Kaworu seems nice...and I need someone" relationship in NGE but they're both destined for destruction.

The minute Shinji finds out the truth about Rei is the moment the shit will really hit the fan. In NGE he ignored her. In Rebuild I could see him "Running Away"

SO yeah, there's a lot of angst and doom to come in Rebuild.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:19 am

Dont forget that Asuka will be coming back and then there is Mari so it isnt all bad. He has Rei in that entry plug to keep him company as well . How it works with Yui, Shinji and Rei being in the same evangelion and tanged is something else though. Yui and Rei having a conversation should be interesting.
Yes I know Im posting a lot at the moment but I really dont have anything better to do at the moment and it takes my mind off the phone bill....

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:30 pm

Soul Fire wrote:Dont forget that Asuka will be coming back and then there is Mari so it isnt all bad.

I'm starting to get this horrible mental image about Shinji being devastated over something or another involving Rei. Cue EVERYONE throwing quick motivational oneliners at him, giving him the final push to do what needs to be done.

He has Rei in that entry plug to keep him company as well.

I'm thinking that the real drama will start once they got out.

Yui and Rei having a conversation should be interesting.

True that. Now that i think about, holding a three way, disembodied discussion would be a great way to exposite about the past, what is to come and Gendo's motives. Gendo through Yui's eyes... that is an interesting angle.

CATO
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CATO » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Just a thought: why is so many people allergic to a reasonably healthy Eva? The whole point of NGE was to critic anime and how isolated anime fans are, but not just for the sake of it. The end of NGE is optimistic in nature, so a happier continuation is the natural path to go. If not, all these years of "therapy" for Anno were useless.
"An Andalusian dog in Paris"

Synapsid
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Synapsid » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:06 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:In Rebuild Shinji's just repeating what he did with Kaworu in NGE.

When Kaworu showed up in NGE Shinji had personally cut all his ties with everyone in Tokyo-3 and was even neglecting Misato.

In Rebuild, due to Asuka's "Death" he's forcibly pushed everyone away, even Misato, Touji, & Kensuke. Once again Shinji has put himself in the fragile position of putting all his hopes and emotions into another INDIVIDUAL (...but Rei's a clone...oh dear god!).

Sure, his grasping for a final emotional connection with Rei here is more external than his "Well...Kaworu seems nice...and I need someone" relationship in NGE but they're both destined for destruction. ...SO yeah, there's a lot of angst and doom to come in Rebuild.

Exactly, the circumstances seem a bit different but the underpinning behind both is the same, Kaworu's right Shinji hasn't changed at all. Shin-chan's already enough of a mess that he didn't care if he or the world died so long as he wasn't alone. He's very much clinging to a life line, I don't think the twincest would scare him away this time, he's that desperate (I don't know about the being Lilith though), but I doubt that he'll get to chose from all the talk and visual hints about replacement it seems that he's going to loose his Ayanami, which will very much leave him in the same state he was after Kaworu, (Unless if they can't recover him and he stays trapped with Rei, but then that's a whole other twist)

Soul Fire wrote:Dont forget that Asuka will be coming back and then there is Mari so it isnt all bad. He has Rei in that entry plug to keep him company as well . How it works with Yui, Shinji and Rei being in the same evangelion and tanged is something else though. Yui and Rei having a conversation should be interesting.
I'm sure that Asuka will hate him now, It's very easy to pin the blame on him so I'm sure she's over her infatuation, and she might be contaminated.
And Mari didn't show any sign of caring for him, I can't see her offering him love. although given the puppy whimper thing she could conceivably violate him, and leave him even more of a mess. I'm pretty sure that his time in the womb might be the last bit of comfort he might get.
@CATO
It's not necessarily a total aversion, EVA did have happier moments during it's action arc, but it would have been a huge waste to just keep everything to the clear looking surface and stick to action comedy and romance, you really can't get a good look at the characters unless if they're split open, and from the darker context it very much seems that that's what Anno's going to do...That doesn't mean that the final ending couldn't be happier though
It's a trap!|Saigo no shisha seitenkan
Genderbending is an important part of any fandom and must be taken very seriously. ZapalacX
If you ever say that name again, I will hunt you down and neuter you with a spork. Sailor Star Dust *cue Shinji's bloodcurling girly scream* LiLi
leave my innocent Shinjiko thread alone! Reichu Asuka would be the one going "SURPRISE BUTTSEKS, BAKA!!!!" while of course in appropriate dress and, *cough, gulp, snort*, with a certain strapped on accessory THE Hal E. Burton 9000

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:44 am

Could be that its all one continuation or Hell could be part of EOE's 3I and maybe this time Shinji is trying something different..Who knows.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Teague » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:06 am

I'm still partial to the theory that Rebuild is the result of Father Pucci using Stairway to Heaven, hence the subconscious avoidance of the mistakes made last time...buts that's more for the Sequel Thread...
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

CATO
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby CATO » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:36 pm

but it would have been a huge waste to just keep everything to the clear looking surface and stick to action comedy and romance,

But that's not exactly what I refer to when I talk about a healthy Eva. Action comedy and romance are fun but I think it's based on subtle, yet more moving things. I'm talking about a Rei Ayanami who stops a slap to her face, who tries to arrange a dinner for Shinji; an Asuka who reflects on the fact that being with another people could not be bad. These characters are at this point on a state much more advanced than their corresponding episodes in the series, somehow I believe that no matter how broken they are, they have the means to really advance this time.
"An Andalusian dog in Paris"

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:56 pm

Agreed. Broken minds and souls always have a great reason to move forward.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:21 pm

I wouldn't mind a slightly more overtly upbeat ending for this next incarnation of Evangelion, though a close examination of the end of EoE made me realize, there were some notes of hope in amongst all the weirdness. Most obviously, Yui points out that Instrumentality is completely reversible, if a person chooses to emerge from it and embrace individuality once more. And also, Shinji comes to terms with his mom's death and also, he's able to say goodbye to her. When I noticed that, I actually went "awww..." for the first time in this series. What happens after he wakes up on the shore of the sea of LCL, with Asuka beside him remains to be seen, but there could be others who have emerged as well. I like to think of it as the set up for what Brian Aldiss called a "cozy catastrophe" post-apocalyptic story, ie. in which a handful of people figure out how to rebuild After the End...
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:19 am

CATO wrote:
but it would have been a huge waste to just keep everything to the clear looking surface and stick to action comedy and romance,

But that's not exactly what I refer to when I talk about a healthy Eva. Action comedy and romance are fun but I think it's based on subtle, yet more moving things.

But things that have occurred in other anime, in other stories, where people don't seem to learn, and the lessons themselves seem to be just "plastered" on.

Remember, Evangelion is not meant just for the characters to develop and mature, but for the viewer to as well, to take something away from it.

As the original plot line of Evangelion went, Hideaki Anno seemed to follow what Jack London learned when writing "To Build A Fire", that sometimes a lesson is best exemplified when the absolute worst is allowed to happen. This also aligns in Hideaki Anno's belief that children should be "exposed early to the realities of life". (Wonder if he meant other things with that) :revelry:

CATO wrote:I'm talking about a Rei Ayanami who stops a slap to her face, who tries to arrange a dinner for Shinji; an Asuka who reflects on the fact that being with another people could not be bad.vThese characters are at this point on a state much more advanced than their corresponding episodes in the series, somehow I believe that no matter how broken they are, they have the means to really advance this time.

And with only one or two sources to motivate these changes, and in what seems, at least to the viewer, a rather short amount of time. In the series, these issues were approached gradually, multiple situations were explored, and yet still the characters did not easily sway, true to their multi-dimensional, flawed, and most importantly, human selves. And yet still, to say if the characters ever learned what they were supposed to is up to interpretation, but there was at least one person who was expected not to ignore these signs, that person being, again, the viewer.

What I' am most afraid of with this sudden heel-face-turn, is that Eva will turn itself into an amiable, parable-esce story where all the characters learn something of themselves, rather than a life lesson speaking on the social ill of a collective group, or indeed, a nation, and trying to motivate change.

It has always been that latter status that has elevated Evangelion from stories of the former, what makes it truly unique, in that what it had to say transcended what it was.

Still, my own determination for if it has crossed over is something I'll save for the last two films. It could be in fact that Hideaki Anno is raising the situation only for the fall to be that much more destructive and revealing. He’s allowed the absolute worst happen before, despites fan pleas and death threats, and he might just have mind to do it again, this time with far more watching, and expectations higher than ever.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t wish even more tragedy and strife on these tortured souls anymore than the rest, and God knows they deserve a “happy ending”, but I learned long ago that Eva is not meant to take into account what the viewer wants, but what it needs for them to see.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

sean_sean_sean_sean
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby sean_sean_sean_sean » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:39 am

Alaska Slim's post captures my own feelings perfectly ^_^

Seph
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seph » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:27 am

Alaska Slim wrote:Incredibly awesome rant.

Bravo! I don't think we need to be concerned yet though, Anno has two more movie to fuck this entire thing over, which he undoubtedly will.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”