2.0 Subtitles Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Master Raven
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Master Raven » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:08 pm

Heromaster, is it the .txt file that I change to .srt? I tried what you said and for some reason it's not working.

Gamer_2k4 wrote:File -> Load Subtitle...

It tells me to change the render for like a bunch of media files I don't have.

AzureX
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby AzureX » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 pm

Yeah everyone thats having problems with the subs and the video make sure you are loading a .srt file, not a .srt or .txt or .srt.txt, just .srt .

As for timing errors and titiling errors (subbing the timestamps not the text), not sure whats going on but i would completely removed the old sub from your computer and download new ones just to be on the safe side, sounds like someone or something has tampered with them.

Raven, make sure you are using an app that supports loading subs,the best choice is vlc cause it opens a lot of formats. If your using the open file method it should just let you load the file and the subs as posted earlier.

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:43 pm

Raven check you e-mail

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:53 pm

jagam wrote:you know.... I am one of the few around my neightborhood that didn't think that you gringos suck... but now, I don't know....

I mean you could at least pm me or something to ask any permition to publish the spanish subs... or thanking me perhaps?

The next time please don't do that... The final spanish subs are here:

[url]http://jagam-la.blogspot.com/2009/08/y-llego-el-dia-los-subs.html[/url]

This version isn't missing the kaji- Shinji, rei-shinji parts,

NOW you can use them to create the english version..........thanks

as someone who hasn't downloaded your subs or the engrish subs i feels like i can point out something before you get on your high horse...

Did you ask permission of studio khara before you made subtitles for an illegal camrip of their movie...?

Just asking is all.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

Master Raven
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Master Raven » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:12 pm

I'll check now Hero.

And yeah I guess if I have to I'll just download VLC since that seems to be what people use nowadays. >_>

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Oh well, I just read the Spanish version and used it for the correction of two lines in Russian subtitles. Thanks JaGaM!
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Master Raven
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Master Raven » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:49 am

Thanks guys, I just decided to download VLC and followed some advice in the topic and got PRPD's subs to work. I seriously can't wait for them to be complete.

Fucking lol @
SPOILER: Show
the two very angels that underwent crazy amounts of speculation prior to this film are wiped out right at the very beginning! I guess angel battles aren't going to clutter as much of the movie up as some people suspected.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:46 am

Master Raven wrote:
the two very angels that underwent crazy amounts of speculation prior to this film are wiped out right at the very beginning! I guess angel battles aren't going to clutter as much of the movie up as some people suspected.

:slowpoke:

Er, I mean -- haven't been hanging around here much in the past month, have you?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:10 am

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?p=268016#268016
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:44 am

And for those who don't want to click on LiLi's link... With regard to using translations provided by LiLi and myself (and possibly others?) in subtitle files:

PERSONAL/PRIVATE USE: suit yourself!

But please do NOT redistribute!

Seeing our work floating around the Interweb amidst a mess of Engrish would just make us terribly sad and maybe even angry. If there's anything you don't want to do, it's enrage folks who translate stuff. So keep those damned ugly custom subtitle files to yourself. That's right.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:48 am

I'm (mostly) concerned about copyright stuff that had been left unresolved before Tab's departure, too... (see the fair use vs subtitles debate).

Like we said, you're welcome to use them PRIVATELY, to view the movie in the privacy of your home.

lilblacktombo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lilblacktombo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:48 am

Look, this is a publicly viewable forum. There are tens of thousands of Eva fans and/or bored anime watchers on the internet who have been desperate for weeks to get their hands on an english sub, any english sub, regardless of quality.

Should all these people be polite and respect your wishes to wait patiently for a complete, well-translated version before spreading it far and wide? Of course they should

but that isn't going to happen.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:26 am

lilblacktombo wrote:but that isn't going to happen.

I'm aware of that, and you may very well be right, of course.

But, if you'll allow me, I'll contribute something for the consideration of said "bored anime fans"...

If this forum being public implicitly entails complete disrespect for those taking hours off their schedules to do the actual translating job, what might also happen is that some of us might eventually get fed up enough to stop contributing any further translations, leaving the rest to view 2.0 (and quite possibly the following movies) in Engrish with English bits until 1) the remaining heroic translators here complete their increasingly gruesome task as more people whine 2) someone else picks it up (very soon, hopefully) 3) someone translates manually the Spanish subs or 4) a legit. English language release is published (again, hopefully very soon).

Whether such an outcome is desirable or not, I'll leave that up to them/you to consider.

If quality isn't a concern, then by this logic the Engrish subs, tweaked with the aid of some simple logic and grammar, should be good enough to spread around.

If each user separately and individually, edits the file to include my available translations into the file and use it privately in his/her own home, I personally have no problem with that. I can't speak for the rest of the translation team, but my own concerns have nothing to do with a sadistic pleasure to withold from other fans the translations that I am sharing already for everyone to see. In fact, I didn't even object when I found out the Spanish subs had partly been made based on our English translations.

Still - asking permission before borrowing something is the corteous thing to do. :tongue:

Last but not least, the mere consideration that it might be a futile effort doomed to fail, won't stop me from making my wishes known to begin with. :tongue:

Finally, all this drama is taking time away from the actual translation... :tongue:

lilblacktombo
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby lilblacktombo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:34 am

That's cool. I just wanted to express the reality of the situation. I really respect the effort this particular community has made, and it's a shame there isn't a better way to ensure everyone's hard work gets recognized.

On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure why the spread of a rough machine-translated sub is such a big deal. It's not like it will reflect poorly on the original Spanish subbers or even this forum; anyone who downloads okdesuka's sub knows what they're getting into.

Additionally, as soon as a cleaner/better translated sub is released, be it from this forum or another source, that will be the version that gets distributed on the great gulf current of the internet. It's not like The Eva 2.0 Experience is somehow irrevocably tarnished by this.. we're already watching a crappy camrip :P

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:12 pm

lilblacktombo wrote:On the other hand, I'm not entirely sure why the spread of a rough machine-translated sub is such a big deal. It's not like it will reflect poorly on the original Spanish subbers or even this forum; anyone who downloads okdesuka's sub knows what they're getting into.

If it makes it's way somewhere else to the net, then no they don't know. I'd rather not have the scenes I translated from Japanese to English reflected poorly by Engrish robo-subs.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:42 pm

I've gotten two more additional scenes done with the help of the translation thread. I am also going to try to fix the sub timing so they don't overlap. I'm also going to go over the first scene again and if I still can't make out some of the words I'll try to make it less engrishy.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:49 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:I've gotten two more additional scenes done with the help of the translation thread. I am also going to try to fix the sub timing so they don't overlap. I'm also going to go over the first scene again and if I still can't make out some of the words I'll try to make it less engrishy.

In reply to your question in the translation thread:
Please use the translations by me, Reichuu (and SSD too?) only for your own personal use subs - don't copypasta them in the file you're going to share here. If they just helped you make sense of the Engrish though, I guess that's fine... ;)

Master Raven
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Master Raven » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Reichu wrote:
Master Raven wrote:

:slowpoke:

Er, I mean -- haven't been hanging around here much in the past month, have you?

>_>

Well if it helps I've been kinda avoiding this forum to get away from 2.0 spoilers.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:57 pm

LiLi wrote:
Joseph the PRPD wrote:I've gotten two more additional scenes done with the help of the translation thread. I am also going to try to fix the sub timing so they don't overlap. I'm also going to go over the first scene again and if I still can't make out some of the words I'll try to make it less engrishy.

In reply to your question in the translation thread:
Please use the translations by me, Reichuu (and SSD too?) only for your own personal use subs - don't copypasta them in the file you're going to share here. If they just helped you make sense of the Engrish though, I guess that's fine... ;)

Oh I see now. My apologies. :sweatdrop:
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:Oh I see now. My apologies. :sweatdrop:

Don't worry. I hope at least the translations can help you make sense of the Engrish.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”