What's next after rebuild?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:30 pm

View Original PostHenry Spencer wrote:An anime adaptation of ANIMA. Enough said.

I'm OK with this, once ANIMA is done. Then again, this may make Shinji Ikari Raising Project fans ask "Why hasn't Shinji Ikari Raising Project been animated too?"

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:42 pm

View Original PostCeimoa Nan wrote:I don't know if you're referring to my post, but, by "remastering," I meant actually redrawing every single scene.
They could use the same technology to make rebuild to remaster the original series. I think it would look good.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Fri May 25, 2012 8:26 pm

I do like the idea of a 'Remastered' version made of the series (maybe airing it uncenscored for once), but I truly think that Anno has done all he can (and everyone else from Gainax, Khara etc) and the series should be left as it is. Over time people will look back and say, 'Remember that series EVA?' - that's the beauty of it. It's timeless.

--On the other hand, a 20th anniversary finale movie would be a good way to go out--

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Fri May 25, 2012 9:54 pm

View Original PostOrphan Of Darkness wrote:I have no complaints with tons of Eva videogames tho, in fact I hope they make a bunch for the Rebuild series. (and release them in North America)

Problem being they all suck...

Japanese production value is eh at best, they should hand it off to an American or Canadian studio to do. Then I'd play them.
Leave Shinji alone

Ceimoa Nan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ceimoa Nan » Fri May 25, 2012 10:13 pm

By that idea, I'd love to see Retro Studios (Metroid Prime series, Donkey Kong Country Returns) do an Eva game.

(Though that might not make much sense with it being a subsidiary of Nintendo, but still.)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 26, 2012 1:01 am

By the time Rebuild is finished, Sadamoto should be freeing up to do the manga version, which should last us until 2025 or so.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Sat May 26, 2012 9:16 am

If another Eva game is made, pray to Eva-01 that isn't Polyphony Digital who make it - anyone who has played Gran Turismo 5 (such as myself) would understand. :asuka_miffed: Anyone want "Standard" Evangelions with less polyogns?

Redaye
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Redaye » Sat May 26, 2012 10:56 am

My vote throws down in favor of an MMOFPS (for all platforms, pls). Pick a character. Then an Eva. Kill angels. Repel the JSSDF. Run from the Bakelite! Premise could be largely the same, preventing 3I. Preferably some type of hybrid between maybe, Quake engine and Flight Simulator. Might be a good way for fanfic plots to 'rebirth' too. I could see laying down $100US or so for it in a heartbeat, pending attention to detail.
Process: Attempting to Comprehend
╔═══════════════════════════╗
║█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░║ (20%)
╚═══════════════════════════╝
Estimated Time Until Completion: RUNTIME ERROR 601

Ceimoa Nan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ceimoa Nan » Sat May 26, 2012 5:07 pm

I've given this hypothetical Eva game a lot of thought. Probably way more than I should.

SPOILER: Show
It's a third person fighter/shooter, and has first person shooter elements (if you're using a palette gun, a positron sniper rifle, or are pinned down by an enemy). There's a story mode. On your first playing, the story would follow the series'. After you beat it the first time, you can follow different paths. Maybe you choose to have Rei pilot Eva-01 against Sachiel, or you manage to successfully capture Sandalphon, or you manage to survive against the Mass Production Evas. These changes in the story make new levels and scenarios and endings available. (Think Star Fox 64.) Nerv HQ might be destroyed by Sahaquiel halfway through the story, Asuka might never lose her talent, Eva-03 and Eva-04 might fight alongside the three main Evas. Third Impact might be averted for an uncharacteristically happy ending, Gendo might achieve his version of Instrumentality, Eva-02 might participate in Instrumentality along with Eva-01.

There's an online multiplayer mode. You pick your pilot, your pilot's uniform, your Eva, and the battlefield. There's more than just Tokyo-3. You can fight on and beneath the UN Pacific Fleet, around and inside Mount Asama, and in Old Tokyo. It's highly customizable. You can limit the battle to just the surface of Tokyo-3, or make the Geofront and Terminal Dogma available to play in as well. You can determine what weapons will be available. A Spear of Longinus could be this game's equivalent of a Smash Orb from Brawl. You could play as Jet Along or certain Angels. You could play in teams. "Capture the Flag" could be "Capture Lilith." Or you could play in a cooperative mode. "You and me should fight Israfel!" "Hey, let's see how quickly the three of us can take out Zeruel!" "Alright, now let's see if we can beat Sachiel, Ramiel, Jet Alone, Armisael, and the JSSDF at the same time!"

Tokyo-3, in particular, begs to be put into a video game. Think of the way weapons are sent up to the surface like power-ups, or how there are multiple locations to get umbilical cables or get sent back into Central Dogma and repaired. (Actually, the similarity to a video game was intentional, as it says here.)

There'd be lots of unlockables. First you'd unlock stuff like Eva-03, Eva-04, the MP Evas, the Antartica stage, new soundtracks. Then you'd unlock a "Rebuild package," and play with Evas and locations from Rebuild, or a "Proposal package," and play with material from the Proposal of Evangelion.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Ceimoa Nan: Haha, your idea sort of makes me think what a New Movie Edition ("Rebuild") version of PSP Evangelion 2 Another Cases would be like. Nice.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

alfcr
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby alfcr » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 am

a anime of anima would be pretty good.
or maybe they can make a more traditional mecha series.
or maybe a historical drama with nobunaga oda as the main character.
that is true... i think you are right. but i still cannot forgive you i still hate you... but. that old man believed in me so i will believe in what he believed in. so i will not kill you this is my answer.
naruto uzumaki: cementing his place as my favorite of the big three main characters

please support deafgamers.com

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:30 am

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:Japanese production value is eh at best

Oh my

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:52 pm

Thinking about the topic title, I'm honestly hoping that Studio Khara will have more than enough money to create new and interesting anime series. Perhaps Anno could finally work on that space adventure. :)

I'm sure Eva will live on in various merchandise (figures, video games, DVD/BD re-re-releases, etc) and manga spin-offs (AU side stories, etc).

But I have the feeling that FINAL (theatrical or BD/DVD release) and Sadamoto's final NGE manga volume will be released around the same time so the folks at Gainax and Khara will finally(?) let the Eva craze die with dignity as the former staff focuses on new creative endeavors.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mana
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mana » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:34 pm

I wouldn't be surprised to see an anime adaptation of Gakuen Datenroku at least 3 years after Rebuild is over.
call me vapor instead of this account's displayhandle, please
(account is old, abandoned for years after briefly using it during 3.0's hype)

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

After FINAL...

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:52 am

Where do you think the franchise will move next? Another retelling? Adaption of the manga? Adaption of ANIMA (yeah right...)?

There was an Anno interview that said he would like to make EVA like Gundam. I think this means keeping the EVAs and maybe the Angels and changing the characters, setting and timeline. I personally can't see this happening.

Maybe Khara/Gainax will choose to animate the manga for an anniversary or something since there are differences between NGE-NTE and the manga. This has more chances happening then EVA becoming Gundam.

Next there is ANIMA. Near 0 chances of happening for reasons we all know. Though it would be very interesting and personally i would like to see it animated it.

And finally there is the possibility of a new retelling since Anno said''EVA is a story that repeats". A second retelling is a bit extreme IMO but not impossible since EVANGELION is very very popular and i doubt they will left the franchise without a new work. If they choose this option they must make extreme chances otherwise it will not be interesting. Chances like: Make Toji one of the main characters and pilot from the start, change Rei or Asuka with a new female character (that will have more important role then Mari) etc.

You where do you think the franchise will go next? What you would like to see?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

artesox
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby artesox » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:41 am

Of course it will be a special series that will tell the adventures of space pirate Asuka and a certain catgirl during the timeskip. It will be Sakura Trick all over again.
Once the series is over we will have The End of Puchi Eva.

Now jokes aside, its hard to tell. I'm pretty sure rebuild will not be the last time someone animates Evangelion, but I don't think there is any info on what it will become once we see Final

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:11 am

To be precise, it's Tsurumaki who talked about making Eva a franchise like Gundamn.

As for the post-FINAL, as we talked about in the "Toji, Kensuke, and Hikari" thread, I could very well picture a spin-off about one of the other character's personal journey, without Shinji's story "parasitizing" the narration, since he's "dead" inside EVA-01 at that time.

For example, that could be a fantastic opportunity to flesh out Asuka and Mari, how they met and learned to get past their tendencies to work alone to build a solid team and friendship, or how Mari was a support to Asuka in light of everything that happened to her...
At the same time fleshing out the setting, like what happened to Tokyo-3 after N3I, the four missing Evas(07, 10, 11 and 12), the unseen 11th Angel,

In fact, the period covered by the time skip is to big and so full of big events that various spin-offs of that period could be made :

- one about the events directly after N3I that led to the neo-NERV/WILLE split with Kaji's spying stuff, Misato questioning the motives of their superiors and eventually leading a rebellion against NERV and Gendo trying to capitalize on his victory over SEELE to have managed to awake EVA-01 before they could send Kaworu to NERV.

- one about the first years of WILLE trying to prove itself as the best solution against SEELE, how it managed to secure resources to fight SEELE, gain the trust of whatever government is still standing after Third Impact(if 3I didn't happened after the split!), how they got their hands on EVA-08 and the AAA Wunder(or built it)

- one about Asuka awaking in a time of crisis where everything she believed in got returned on its head, and her meeting with Mari and how the two became teammates and finally friends, in short to use the same process from Rebuild of having the narration very centered on Shinji, but this time to do it on Asuka. That could also be a fantastic opportunity to flesh out Mari, her character and her past.

- One, or even various, of the war proper against SEELE, maybe from a completely different POV, like Sakura's early years as a freshly enlisted WILLE medic, or the pilot of one of the unseen Evas...

Or an anime adaptation of ANIMA, I would freaking love to see that, although Ogata will have to be replaced, since Shinji is almost an adult and much more assertive and sure of himself here. Besides I always wanted to see Armaros animated, the thing is basically an extremely pissed of Mark.06 that could beat the crap out of Awakened EVA-01 and steal its lunch money! :lol:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:12 am

Naturally Final will not be Final and we will finally get what Eva was always meant to be: A SPACE OPERA.

Having mastered both Fruits through Instrumentality humanity will expand into space in search of their originators and will get embroiled in an interstellar war between all the other seeded world. The Children who gained power from both Evas and Angels will be the key to bringing peace to the galaxy.

18-part feature film series.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:23 am

In all seriousness? I don't think that Evangelion is going to be over after FINAL. I think that there's going to be new things until it a) grows unpopular, or b) everybody related to the original releases in some way dies.

robin007bond
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby robin007bond » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:15 pm

Well, spin-offs are the most likely. Especially because of the time gap in 3.0.

We can expect a BD release of the original series I think.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”