Hakone Eva Map

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:50 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:But bloody hell, FanimeCon is nearly 3x larger, albeit across the country.

Across the country? Aren't you in California? It's in San Jose.

JoeD80: Thanks for the information!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:38 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Curses, oh well. Does the App provide any interesting facts about the areas being explored?

Angel icons show the locations of visitor centers.
There are little Pen-Pen icons which show you all the hot springs.
Longinus icons have information about the scenic spots.
And finally there are NERV icons which show where the events in movie 1.0 take place (sadly no 2.0 info).

You can also switch the map feature to the standard maps app and it will still have the icons in place.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:JoeD80: Thanks for the information!

You're welcome! I suppose $5 was a small price to pay to help the forum out :)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:19 am

I decided to try a 3rd alternative in addition to what Grand Duke suggested by contacting the Japan National Tourism Organization, since they were responsible for putting out the English version and it's their job to promote tourism to Japan. Contacted the LA office since they cover the Western half of the US and asked for both the map and poster. In less than an hour someone got back to me and asked for a mailing address. Will update when both come in.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Across the country? Aren't you in California? It's in San Jose.

I meant that California would be across the country for The Japan Society, which is based out of New York, to go to for FanimeCon whereas Animazement in North Carolina is much closer. However as mentioned by Grand Duke they did go to AX in LA. Now that is double the size of FanimeCon which is nearly triple the size of Animazement. With all due respect to Animazement I am not knocking them for their size, just pointing out how big the cons are relative to each other.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:25 am

I tried contacting Japan Society but haven't heard back from them (apparently they have high traffic), I guess trying the site you mentioned would be good.

I lived in both Northern Cali and Upstate NY, so I know how crazy the distance is. :lol: Interesting to hear that Animazement is so small, but I've only been to Fanime 09 and 10 as well as AX 2004.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:50 am

Hm, I was at FanimeCon in 2010 also. Not been to AX yet.

Update: The map arrived on Monday along with another of Fuji, Hakone, Kamakura, and Nikko. As expected, the poster was shipped separately and arrived the following day. However it was not rubber banded and apparently just thrown into the tube, which is large, so a lot of room for it to bounce around as no filler material was added. Thus one of the edges is dinged when it became uneven in shipment. Nonetheless it is large and of paperboard, thus stronger than the average poster.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:19 pm

Japan National Tourism Organization ( http://www.jnto.go.jp/ ) mailed this to me from the NYC branch:

SPOILER: Show

I'd offer to scan, but I don't think my scanner's of high quality or anything. Aren't the scans of this pretty decent or meh?

Oh, interesting part from the back "Information contained in this leaflet is current as of December 1, 2009".

Really nice to have something about Japan that's not just a guidebook. I'd love to visit someday.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Japan National Tourism Organization ( http://www.jnto.go.jp/ ) mailed this to me from the NYC branch:

SPOILER: Show

I would probably frame that if I were you....
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:32 pm

I was planning on storing it safely with my (now small) Eva collection instead.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chrad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:35 pm

See Hakone and tang.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:47 pm

View Original PostChrad wrote:See Hakone and tang.

If I could actually find Tang, I would walk around Hakone drinking it and see how many people get the reference. Not that many, probably, seeing as the "getting Tanged" thing was made up here....

Note: I just looked up Tang on Wikipedia to see if the company still existed. Found out that Tang was the drink that NASA used for some of its manned spaceflights, namely John Glenn's Mercury flight and the Gemini missions.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:04 am

Anyone know if these maps are still available?

Or are they rebooting the Hakone/Eva co-op and thus new ones will be made??
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

DanYeomans
Embryo

Possible map of Tokyo-3?

•      
  •      

Postby DanYeomans » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:12 pm

This was a really tantilizing find for me. I stumbled across this image, which might at first glance look like a map of the Hakone region, but on closer inspection, appears to be a map of the area surrounding tokyo-3, with much of the Hakone region's landmarks included. The only problem is, I can't find a source on the map itself, so I can't confirm it's legitimacy. Does anybody have any more information on it?

Also, I cross referenced it with the production sketches of tokyo-3 from the original series. The original series has 8 building blocks, while this has many more, so I believe this map refers to the rebuild Tokyo-3.

Anyways, here's the map if you want to inspect it for yourself:
http://imageshack.us/a/img692/1961/maphakoneregion.gif

What do you think?
*Gendou pose*
Life is like a box of chocolates; everyone dies and gets turned into LCL. That's what chocolate does, right?

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:54 pm

The map itself looks rather accurate although we don't have enough reference material in the original show or in the rebuilds to actually tell. Also I don't really see a reason for the production team to design the whole city instead of the used locations (as they apparently did while producing the original show).

Where did you find it ?
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:13 pm

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/7187/Hakone-Eva-Map/
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:19 pm

OP's map is the second linked under [url]http://www.evacommentary.org/supplemental-images.html#maps[/url]

For locales in Tokyo-3's immediate vicinity. This map was originally from a Japanese Evangelion database; it seems to be a guide to key tourist locations in the Hakone region, doctored to include the schematic of Tokyo-3 on the northern shore of Ashinoko (Lake Ashi). As it goes, Tokyo-3 is occupying a bit too little land area, but I suppose that's a quibble. (And correcting the problem is too difficult to be worthwhile.)

Given the date of the archive.org link is 10 years ago, this is not Rebuild related in any way.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Is there a reason to design a whole town, yet only use very limited parts of it ?
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

DanYeomans
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DanYeomans » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:26 pm

I can't speak for the Eva Team, but a lot of production studios do that. It's good to have something to reference if plans change and you want things to fit. Mind you, certain shows where more locales are used will need to have things placed in a coherent manner. In retrospect Eva doesn't really have this problem. My game dev studio designed a whole world map so we'd know where to place different locations, for example.

And thank you guys for filling in the details, sadly I had my hopes up about this one. It was actually a related image when I was searching for production sketches of Eva in google, I'd never seen this one before so I was immediately curious.
*Gendou pose*
Life is like a box of chocolates; everyone dies and gets turned into LCL. That's what chocolate does, right?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:32 pm

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote:Is there a reason to design a whole town, yet only use very limited parts of it ?

Probably to have a reference for the wide shots of the city and its surrounding landscape, such as when Misato show to Shinji the city emerging after Sachiel, or when EVA-01 is sniping Ramiel.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: Hakone Eva Map

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:49 am

Sorry for the necro, but someone was asking for the now-gone Mediafire link as well as the Photobucket link, both of them because I just deleted accounts from them out of disgust with their service.

Instead I've just uploaded the Tokyo-3 map to Imgur.

https://imgur.com/S1njEGH

https://i.imgur.com/XXEqjUK.png (PNG)

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Hakone Eva Map

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:53 am

No need to apologize, those are too useful to be lost to time
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”