Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:20 am

Mangle wrote:

Manga Entertainment holding court on "nightmare" anime releases is like Dick Cheney criticizing Obama's Iraq policy. Some of us remember the 2000s...

Don't you wish THAT had been delayed just one year for a superior dub, improved picture quality(!!!) and/or a vision more in line with the original intent? Well, that seems to be what they're doing! The delay sucks, but before we get too mad, remember that an out-of-print DVD with a Vaseline-coated transfer remains the only official EoE release in much of the west. There are worse fates than a one year delay...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:26 am

^ So true. I'm totally patient with waiting, I just wish Funimation could give us the reasons on what the holdup is. But I understand they most likely can (not) because of legal reasons.

View Original PostRay wrote:Just. . . why Anno?

Your beef's with Funimation's ADR director, not Anno. I still find that line hilariously timed.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:34 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Don't you wish THAT had been delayed just one year for a superior dub, improved picture quality(!!!) and/or a vision more in line with the original intent? Well, that seems to be what they're doing! The delay sucks, but before we get too mad, remember that an out-of-print DVD with a Vaseline-coated transfer remains the only official EoE release in much of the west. There are worse fates than a one year delay...

Am I the only one here who actually liked the dub for EOE?

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:35 am

@SSD

That sounds awesome, not as good as French Shinji telling Wille to go fuck themselves though, nothing will beat that :sniffle:
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:40 am

Listening to EoE's dub is like audio cancer penetrating through your ear drums...

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:44 am

Listening to English is like audio cancer penetrating through your ear drums.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:53 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Am I the only one here who actually liked the dub for EOE?

I'm actually not completely down on it. The returning VAs do some of their strongest work. But when Manga had to recast a role, they dropped the ball in just about every instance (Keel's new voice sounds like he's mocking the material).

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:54 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Am I the only one here who actually liked the dub for EOE?

Oh dear god, you can't be serious.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:05 am

I like it for the fact that it makes the movie into a sort of fun drinking game. :lol: The dub is so bad, I can't help but like it for the campiness.

"AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

"Hit him again!"

"AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

You know the part.

As for Funi's Q release: I'm relatively impressed by most of their dub work. Fullmetal Alchemist was one of the first shows that I actually prefered the dub for, and I like the work they've done so far with Rebuild. Let them take as long as it needs so we don't get a half-assed product.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:07 am

Have you re watched the original episodes? Some parts Dub or not are pretty campy.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:21 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Have you re watched the original episodes? Some parts Dub or not are pretty campy.

Yes, and my opinion is the same. The only reason I would watch the dub for the series (EoE included) is for the nostalgia, because that's how I first watched it as a teenager. Otherwise, I'll stick with the original audio, even if it's also campy in certain regards (such as Miyamura's German). EoE's dub, however, is pretty notable for how bad it is though.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:02 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:"AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

"Hit him again!"

"AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!"

"I thought K-WOW-ru was the last Angel..."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:07 am

TOPIC, BITCHES
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:27 am

If Anno is telling the English crew to do a better job with the dub then bravo. Those guys knock this shit out in a weekend & it always shows.

They really REALLY dropped the ball in regards to Misato when I saw the English dub in theaters. Allison Keith is the only member of the English cast who doesn't flat out suck as an actor (why people like Tiffany Grant's one note soulless rendition of Asuka is beyond me) but her work in teh 3rd film left a lot to be desired. Now correct me if I'm wrong but I recall her performance as Misato in Part 3 being delivered entirely from a "Man, that Shinji sure is a brat" angle. I think her rendition of Misato's last line - an ambigious uttering of "Shinji" in the Japanese version - either was delivered in an angry dismissive tone OR was re-written to something like "Shinji you brat. I can't exactly recall exactly.

But once again, if the director of the film is telling the people adapting his work to put some effort into their jobs then I'm all for it. I have the film on Japanese Bluray & as a VERY LARGE file on my computer. I can wait for a US release a little longer.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:31 am

Can't disagree. Actually, I hope that major redubbing is the reason for this - the excerpts I've heard make Kaworu sound a complete ass, and there's too much of him for that to fly.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:38 am

IIRC, the main grip against Kaworu's English VA was that he was flat-out hitting on Shinji instead of the subtlety of the Japanese version that conveyed mainly a deep admiration for Shinji with a possible undertone of Ho Yay.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Black Swordsman
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Black Swordsman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:05 am

I liked the EoE dub :bigeyes: Especially Asuka's lines. Actually I thought they did really well for the most part. Only thing that I hate is that if I watch it from my DVD, due to the aspect ratio, there are black lines completely around the picture.

As for the 3.33 dub, just from the trailer that was put out I thought that Asuka and Misato sounded a bit off. Misato just sounded pretty much the same as she did in the previous Rebuilds, which seemed a bit off seeing that she isn't the exact same person anymore. Asuka just didn't sound right. Could be that it was just a trailer, could be that I'm used to 3.33 in Japanese but everything else in English so could be messing with me.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:06 am

LET ME VOICE KAWORU! Put me on the team, coach. I'm ready!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:12 am

View Original PostBlack Swordsman wrote:As for the 3.33 dub, just from the trailer that was put out I thought that Asuka and Misato sounded a bit off. Misato just sounded pretty much the same as she did in the previous Rebuilds, which seemed a bit off seeing that she isn't the exact same person anymore. Asuka just didn't sound right. Could be that it was just a trailer, could be that I'm used to 3.33 in Japanese but everything else in English so could be messing with me.

From what I heard, Misato's dub voice was excellent when she was ordering her soldiers around, conveying perfectly well the cold and professional commander, but was off the mark in the scenes where she's talking to Shinji, sounding exclusively aggressive and angry while it's supposed to be ambiguous.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Black Swordsman
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Black Swordsman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:28 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:From what I heard, Misato's dub voice was excellent when she was in ordering her soldiers around, conveying perfectly well the cold and professional commander, but was off the mark in the scenes where she's talking to Shinji, sounding exclusively aggressive and angry while it's supposed to be ambiguous.

Sounds good then, the VA knows what she's doing. Was a bit worried that she would just be normal the whole way through. But like I said, not watched the whole dub. Not even sure they showed it in the UK...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”