Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:26 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:I listened quickly to the French dub, and I can assure you that the English dub is a masterpiece compared to it, although the French version could also be called a masterpiece in light of how wrong the casting was, I talked about the dub here.

Don’t the French have a word for movies that are so bad that they are entertaining to watch? Something like “nanar?” I know as an English-speaking person I tend to use that word simply because English doesn't have a term for “so bad it’s good,” and I get tired of saying “so bad it’s good" every time I want to talk about The Room or the Carnosaur trilogy.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:08 am

View Original Postweeminator24 wrote:
SPOILER: Show

[/spoiler]

Great another reminder of the sad lack of Alex Ross painted Eva art out there :/

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Plus, it didn't help of the huge backlash she got here from one member when she first joined Evageeks. I'd think THAT incident put her off completely. :facepalm:

What happened exactly?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:37 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:What happened exactly?

It's just been discussed (again) - see here.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:53 am

Ugh, that sucks.
Fuck that piece of shit Hal.

I have NEVER gotten the hate for the dub... period, so I really REALLY don't get how Someone could possibly be offended by it so much to be so god damn hateful.
The poor woman was just trying to reach out to the community that is apart of her own legacy for gods sake.

You would think Hal was attacking a creator or actor from cannibal f--king holocaust for gods sake!

I genuinely hope she knows he was banned for his bullshit.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:20 am

Well, I don’t particularly care for the English dub. But at the same time NGE was part of that first batch of Japanese anime that wasn’t horribly re-edited or otherwise bastardized for an English-speaking release. So I am thankful for the English dub team for providing the show in an original state within terms of story, context, implications, and gravity of the themes and character arcs presented in the show itself. Only the voices are different, and even then they gave me the Japanese track to listen to anyway. So I’m plenty good.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:20 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Don’t the French have a word for movies that are so bad that they are entertaining to watch? Something like “nanar?” I know as an English-speaking person I tend to use that word simply because English doesn't have a term for “so bad it’s good,” and I get tired of saying “so bad it’s good" every time I want to talk about The Room or the Carnosaur trilogy.

Yep, the word is indeed "nanar".

The shining example on Japanese animation being the dubs from the 80's-mid 90's, story time :geezer: :

Once upon a time in the late 80's-mide 90's, there was a juvenile program called "Club Dorothé" at the hour kids got back from school, and which was the only program that broadcast Japanese animation... except that since the common belief is that everything animated is for kids, they just picked the most popular series in Japan at the moment, which was "Dragon Ball", "Sailor Moon", "Attacker You!"... or "City Hunter" and "Fist of the North Star"!

You can imagine the shitsorm that arose, leading to some 4Kids worthy edits, such as Ryo renamed "Nicky" and inviting women to vegetarian restaurants instead of love hotels (which coincidentally makes him classier than the original!) and all the villains got typical French names, such as "Monsieur Gérard" or "Maurice", and all references to killing or maiming were replacing by goofy dialogs straight out of some Daffy Duck cartoon! And of course all the nudity and violent scenes being heavily censored.

But the "best" was without any doubts "Fist of the North Star" : see not only most of the French VAs hated Japanese Animation as a whole, but they also believed that "Fist of the North Star" was a "Nazi work" because some svastikas were presents (a Budhist symbol before somehow being recuperated and altered by the Nazis), and only accepted to continue the dubbing at the condition to give them free rein on the dialogs. Yep you read that right, the VAs could say absolutely everything they wanted.
So they took the opportunity to litter the work of lames and completely nonsensical puns and Kafkaesque dialogs, to the point that it's completely impossible to understand anything of the plot, which led to the series being quickly canceled and becoming a cult classic!

More about it in this Tvtropes article, in the "Anime/Manga" folder : http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GagDub

End of the story.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:31 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:You would think Hal was attacking a creator or actor from cannibal f--king holocaust for gods sake!

To be fair, if I found myself face to face with Ruggero Deodato, I would treat him with my utmost respect and in spite of the animal killings, there is a lot of stuff in CH that perfectly reflect the sensationalist nature of reality TV and prime time news programming these days. Not to mention he had the late great Riz Ortolani create the film's score, so i'm sure he would have some interesting stories about Riz to mention.
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:12 pm

Just came here to say as much as i hate the dub..........and tiffany grant.........and the way Misato is portrayed in 3.33 (from what changes i have read about)...........and spikes Shinji voice (cool dude, bad voice for Shinji) i do really like gendo in rebuild and i like how spike voiced Shinji at the end of 2.22
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:45 am

It's interesting I really like the English dubs voice actor for gendo more in the original series than the rebuilds, he seemed to have more charisma and personality than he does now, especially in his conversations with fuyutsuki.

The jap voice actor for 3.0 was very effective during the scene where he shuts down seele.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:22 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:It's interesting I really like the English dubs voice actor for gendo more in the original series than the rebuilds, he seemed to have more charisma and personality than he does now, especially in his conversations with fuyutsuki.

The jap voice actor for 3.0 was very effective during the scene where he shuts down seele.

I don't think u meant any offence, but try to use the Term Japanese. Shortening it in that way can be seen as a slur.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:11 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I don't think u meant any offence, but try to use the Term Japanese. Shortening it in that way can be seen as a slur.

Ah yeah sorry about that, I'm dyslexic, so while i know how to spell Japanese, at times when I need to type it out in the moment, it just won't come to me :/
But yeah absolutely no offense meant!

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:50 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:It's interesting I really like the English dubs voice actor for gendo more in the original series than the rebuilds...
If I'm reading this correctly, I think you are saying that Tristan MacAvery gave a better performance than John Swasey. In which case, I completely agree. As much as I hate Gendo with a burning passion, I thought Mr. MacAvery really brought something interesting to the role and I still wish he could have returned to reprise his interpretation of the character for Funimation just as he had several years ago for the Death & Rebirth/End of Eva dubs.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:58 am

What happened to Tristan anyhow? He always seemed to be the most praised actor of the ADV NGE dubbing.

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:24 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Ah yeah sorry about that, I'm dyslexic, so while i know how to spell Japanese, at times when I need to type it out in the moment, it just won't come to me :/
But yeah absolutely no offense meant!

Oh crap, now I feel like an ass, sorry!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:36 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Oh crap, now I feel like an ass, sorry!

Lol it's absolutely fine man. Your concern in using jap as possibly being offensive, is complelty valid man, I just didn't think of it at the time.

Jimbob
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jimbob » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:09 pm

I typically use JP to shorten Japanese without making it look like the slur. People seem to be fine with that.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:01 pm

If I have to wait until Final comes out to get an English Dub of 3.0. . .

:argh:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:54 am

^
But there's already a release date for the US BD/DVD.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:32 am

Really?

Well now I just feel silly. . .

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:37 am

The date is just a vague "Summer 2014"

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”