Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:That might be a solid excuse if there wasn't a way to watch the series in a language OTHER than English. But that's impossible, I mean, it's not like there's a version of Neon Genesis Evangelion out there that comes in a different language.

If I was an actor & hired to play a famous character I'd try to get a grasp on who the character is exactly. I wouldn't show up on the set of Othello & say "So I'm playing this guy Iago... who's that again?"

The guy who plays Gendo at least sounds like he's on the ball & has an idea of what they are doing. It's less performing than it is glorified ADR. They aren't given a script before their recording & they aren't given any serious prep to get into the mindset of the character they're playing. They show up to the recording studio for a few hours on a weekday & have a guy tell them "Do that line sadder. Do that line slower. Etc" so they can replicate an already existing performance. It's not like any of the actors are playing their role in a style against the form already established. Shinji ain't a jive-talking street kid.

It's a decent dub. It's not great (I saw an episode of Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim this weekend- THAT'S a great dub!) but it's passable. I stand by my view that Allison Keith is the one sparkling performance in the dub. The rest are various degrees of acceptable .... except Grant, who's still awful.

Opinion. I thought Grant did an excellent job but I guess the dub cant please everyone.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:50 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Shinji ain't a jive-talking street kid.

But boy, would it be interesting if he were.

As for Tiffany Grant, I am torn to this day as to whether she is too shrieky and grating, or just shrieky and grating enough.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:09 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:If I was an actor & hired to play a famous character I'd try to get a grasp on who the character is exactly. I wouldn't show up on the set of Othello & say "So I'm playing this guy Iago... who's that again?"

Rebuild Rei is all she has to concern herself with. What happened in NGE may or may not come to bear on Rebuild. In any event, focusing on what THIS Rei is doing, and nothing else, is a valid approach to the character.

zuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby zuka » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:16 am

Especially considering the two are so vastly different.
Eva is the only anime I've ever watched, so I'm sorry if I don't get your jokes.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:43 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Shinji ain't a jive-talking street kid.

Or IS he? http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1650 (Old as hell but still hilarious. Bump and discuss the thread there if you'd like.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:42 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Or IS he? http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1650

:rofl: Oh man, that's awesome. Too bad it's not in video form, though.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:04 pm

Watching it right now, and, DAT FIGHT

DAT UNIT 03 HALO

DAT SPINKICK

SO FTURKEYING WORTH IT
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

KhakiBlueThunderSocks
Adam

Evangelion 2.22 English Dub Review

•      
  •      

Postby KhakiBlueThunderSocks » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:12 am

Okay, I just finished re-watching the english dub of "Evangelion: 2.22 You Can (Not) Advance" with IowaCubsFan and here are a few of my thoughts:

First the Originals:

Spike Spencer (Shinji) - Awesome as per usual. Age has definitely improved the quality of his acting with regards to this character. There's a depth to his acting that honestly wasn't there throughout the series, and only started emerging with the first pair of movies.

Tiffany Grant (Asuka) - The name may have changed but the voice remains the same. Granted there was no German dialogue or fangirl swooning over Kaji, but Tiffany Grant managed to keep the core aspects of the fire-engine redhead intact and brings a performance that makes even the most skeptical have to applaud. Out of all the original V/A's, she's the one who HONESTLY gets her character and understands what she's all about.

Allison Keith-Shipp (Misato) - I have to admit, when 1.01 came out, it seems as though she was still trying to get back to the role and there were moments when she didn't quite seem like herself and the acting was a little rusty. Evangelion 2.22 removes all traces of that as Allison Keith-Shipp brings her purple-haired character to life with a vengeance.
"Going to church no more makes you a christian than standing in your garage makes you a car."
- Garrison Keillor

berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 pm

My only beef with the US version of 2.22 is the damn rolling credits. I want an option to show the original credits on these things and it might seem trivial to some but to me it breaks the fourth wall BIG time.
It's an outstanding shame that the Jp BD doesn't have english subs because that would make it just the perfect solution. I can live without the dub but I can't stand been really sucked into something and then just have it snap me back to reality by something so minor and easyly fixed.
Not who you think I am.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 am

But... it's the end of the movie (pretty much)! Doesn't scrolling text detailing who made the film inherently break the "fourth wall", no matter what the language?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:45 pm

Yeah, hate to break it to you, but endings of movies do, generally speaking, have credits, and they do have a tendency to take you out of the experience... because the experience is, y'know, over. I guess it's more "immersive" if the credits are in a language you can't understand, though... even if that kind of defeats the purpose of having them.

I mean, I would've liked to have the sparkly rainbow-studded happyland credits too (perhaps Funimation should've done what many licensors do, and put additional credits after the Japanese credits?), but come one, all in all that's a pretty nitpicky nitpick. Also, it doesn't really have anything to do with the dub, so shouldn't it go in the thread devoted to Funimation's DVD release?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:03 pm

I recently picked up Evangelion 2.22 at Target and got a chance to watch it last night. I separated my bias from the original Japanese dub, as well as the atrocity that was the ADV English dub, as well as separating my bias from the quality of the original. Essentially, I wanted to go in as if it were my first time ever watching this film, and I was pretty successful.

As far as the dub goes, I was decently impressed. I was able to notice some of the nuances in particular scenes that I had missed in the subbed version. All the changes in the dub cast seemed to fit better this time around, and the characters felt more natural. I particularly liked Gendo, Kaji and Toji, especially in contrast to the original. Although, there was still a bit of confusion when creating a distinction between Gendo and Fuyutsuki; they just sound too damn similar, and it's difficult to tell which one is talking if it isn't made obvious by the visuals.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Crazy Packers Fan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Crazy Packers Fan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:16 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:If I was an actor & hired to play a famous character I'd try to get a grasp on who the character is exactly. I wouldn't show up on the set of Othello & say "So I'm playing this guy Iago... who's that again?"

Almost every dub voice actor I've seen at a convention knows little to nothing about the series they're in. There was a "Bleach" panel at a recent con I went to, with two Bleach voice actors, but the panel ended up being about anything but Bleach, because the two of them had never seen any of the show except for their parts in it. Almost exactly the same thing happened at a Hetalia panel I went to at another con - the voice actors knew very little about the anime, and looked clueless in front of the fans at times. That's the way it is for a lot of the dub voice actors, it seems.

That is why I appreciate Tiffany Grant actually liking Asuka as a character and at least knowing as much as the average fan about Evangelion. Most of these voice actors couldn't tell you the difference between Evangelion and Kare Kano. I'm willing to bet that Rei and Mari's voice actresses never saw an episode of Evangelion before doing this series, even if this is a new Rei and Mari wasn't in the original.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:59 am

View Original PostCrazy Packers Fan wrote:I'm willing to bet that Rei and Mari's voice actresses never saw an episode of Evangelion before doing this series, even if this is a new Rei and Mari wasn't in the original.

Why should it matter if they didn't? Rei the character doesn't know about NGE. And there's nothing in the original that could inform Mari.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:07 pm

So, I saw the English dub this weekend with someone who preferred it over the Japanese language. I was surprised that Spike and Tiffany actually sounded like teenagers until I realized that it was probably some sort of post-processing. Within terms of inflections Alison sounded like she thought the whole movie was supposed to sound like the PREVIEW narration, Tiffany and Spike were Tiffany and Spike rather than the characters, and that new chick who voiced Rei in both NME films seemed to do a better job than the rest of the cast, though I'm still of the opinion that Megumi Hayashibara is the only one who was able to pull off both that perfect balance Rei is to have between being emotional without knowing what emotions are.

EDIT: Also, how does English Shinji and Kensuke sound nearly identical despite having two different voice actors? I had a hard time telling if Spike was just playing with his voice or not for Kensuke until I finally decided to look it up.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:46 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:the atrocity that was the ADV English dub

I keep hearing people say things like this, and quite honestly I keep finding it kind of absurd. The dub isn't perfect by any means, but I honestly cannot fathom how it could be perceived as atrocious. I can only imagine that anyone who thinks the Eva dub is "atrocious" has either only seen its absolute worst scenes, or has never heard a truly atrocious anime dub.

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I was surprised that Spike and Tiffany actually sounded like teenagers until I realized that it was probably some sort of post-processing.

Lolwut? No, that is their actual voices. Tiffany Grant chose to play Asuka at a higher register than before. She can do that. And the only difference in Spike Spencer's reading between this and the original dub is his inflection - his pitch is nearly identical, and he has played higher-pitched characters before.

FFFFE wrote:Tiffany and Spike were Tiffany and Spike rather than the characters

That is kind of a bizarre criticism. Do you know them? Have you heard them talk out of character? I've never met either of them in person, and even I can tell you they don't sound like their characters when they talk normally, especially not Spike Spencer (just listen to the commentary if you want a demonstration). No offense, but it seems to me based on the nature of your criticisms that you're fixated on directly comparing the English voices to the originals rather than assessing them on their own merits. It kind of sounds to me like any voices that aren't the originals would have disappointed you.

FFFFE wrote:Also, how does English Shinji and Kensuke sound nearly identical despite having two different voice actors?

Again, I'm not you, so I can only offer my perspective on this... but honestly, you're the first person I've ever heard of who has had difficulty distinguishing the voices of Spike Spencer and Greg Ayres. Both actors have pretty damn distinctive voices. I've heard a lot of complaints that John Swasey (Gendo) and Kent Williams (Fuyutsuki) sound overly similar, and that I can see (well, hear); but this is the first time I've ever heard someone say they couldn't tell the difference between Shinji and Kensuke's voices.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:02 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I keep hearing people say things like this, and quite honestly I keep finding it kind of absurd. (snip)

I believe Sachiel was engaging in a rhetorical technique known as hyperbole.

NGE means something important to us, so it is not at all unnatural to weigh what we personally expect of, say, an English dub against that importance, rather than against the absolute worst that English-language dubbing has to offer. And needless to say, not everybody is going to give the NGE dub rave reviews, but, first, to put things in perspective.

Consider that NGE itself is hardly admired universally -- it's not infrequently panned as pretentious, incoherent, overrated, etc. This provides a demonstration of the extremely subjective nature of personal experience (one of those "common sense, Cpt. Obvious" things that nonetheless seems to get frequently lost in the mire). You can try to argue with people who don't like NGE, and attest from the bottom of your soul (and, if you're Jimbo, from film theory or whatever) to its quality, but this doesn't really matter, because it doesn't change the fact that they didn't like it and don't appreciate the things you like about it. They could have gone in with the most open mind in the world, but this doesn't change the feelings that naturally arose while viewing, many of which may be highly contingent upon personality and not easily changed.

Now, let's consider the ADV dub, which, within the fanbase of NGE itself, has been extremely polarizing. The opinions are all over the place, to the point that some people will say "X, Y, and Z delivered good performances, but A, B, and C totally blew it" -- and other people will say the exact opposite! I mean, wow. It makes a 'body wonder sometimes.

You're going out of your way to defend this thing against the naysayers, but I think you're in danger of getting a bit militant and OVERdefensive about it, if you aren't already there. I gave the Eva dub a shot once upon a time, and for me it was a generally unpleasant experience that I've chosen not to repeat. I'm not alone. You adore the dub; you're not alone. Our reasons are varied and complicated, and we can attempt to assert, nay, TESTIFY that some reasons are better than others for thread upon thread. Or maybe we can just accept that this sort of disagreement is inevitable and move on. :p

I can dream, can't I?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:25 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Lolwut? No, that is their actual voices. Tiffany Grant chose to play Asuka at a higher register than before. She can do that. And the only difference in Spike Spencer's reading between this and the original dub is his inflection - his pitch is nearly identical, and he has played higher-pitched characters before.

I was comparing them to the English dub to the original series. They might be better practiced at it by now, and the advancements in recording technology means they can get it in one or two takes, rather than 13 or 14 takes. So it could just be that their voices didn't wear our as much during recording.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:That is kind of a bizarre criticism. Do you know them? Have you heard them talk out of character? I've never met either of them in person, and even I can tell you they don't sound like their characters when they talk normally, especially not Spike Spencer (just listen to the commentary if you want a demonstration). No offense, but it seems to me based on the nature of your criticisms that you're fixated on directly comparing the English voices to the originals rather than assessing them on their own merits. It kind of sounds to me like any voices that aren't the originals would have disappointed you.

Well, that's the thing. Anno hired the actors for NGE and carried that over to NME for a reason. And if I don't hear the Japanese dub, then I don't get the full scope of what Anno was trying to accomplish with his films. It's unlike live-action, where someone in France can listen to the French dub of The Dark Knight and still get Heath Ledger's visual performance and see why Nolan hired him to play the role. In animation, if the actor is dubbed over with a different actor, then that entire aspect of directorial control is completely lost. So of course I compared the English dub to the Japanese dub. I don't hold it against anyone who prefers the English dub, or I wouldn't have sat through it with a friend who preferred it over the Japanese dub. It's just preference and me being somewhat of a purist when it comes to which language dub I watch first.

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Again, I'm not you, so I can only offer my perspective on this... but honestly, you're the first person I've ever heard of who has had difficulty distinguishing the voices of Spike Spencer and Greg Ayres. Both actors have pretty damn distinctive voices. I've heard a lot of complaints that John Swasey (Gendo) and Kent Williams (Fuyutsuki) sound overly similar, and that I can see (well, hear); but this is the first time I've ever heard someone say they couldn't tell the difference between Shinji and Kensuke's voices.

I can hear the similarities between Swasey and Williams, though it didn't confuse me. It's just that, to me, Ayres sounded like Spencer trying to be higher in pitch.

Though, I'll agree that it's odd, seeing as how I can distinguish between the Japanese actors better than I can the English actors. And I'm an American who's used to hearing English and never listens to the Japanese language outside of a few Japanese movies here and there. That in it of itself is kinda odd!

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:46 am

@Reichu: Everything you wrote I had assumed to be implicit to anyone posting on this forum, and particularly on this thread, but perhaps that was wrong of me. Thank you for articulating it so well. (No sarcasm there, btw.) I will admit I might have been getting a little overly defensive in that last post. Not everyone is going to like the dub, and not everyone has to; it is but one of two (or more?) ways in which to view this series. HOWEVER, since it is something I greatly enjoyed, I do find it somewhat frustrating how some people feel they can belittle it - with aforementioned hyperbole - without any justification or context. The wording, "the ADV dub, which I felt to be miscast and lacking in nuance" would have provoked quite a different response from me (if any) than "the atrocity that was the ADV dub". Additionally, some criticisms are more substantive than others, and since this is a thread dedicated to discussing and debating the quality of a dub, you can bet that I'll debate the statements I don't agree with if I have a specific response to them. I can't argue against people's opinions, but I can debate objective criticisms they make that I feel to be insufficiently grounded. I'll admit, though, that when people are instantly dismissive of or disparaging toward something I like - even something I like to which, again, I'll readily admit the existence of flaws and shortcomings - I can on occasion get a little bit irritated, specifically after encountering statements such as this for the I-don't-even-know-how-many-hundredth time, and in a place where I would like to expect better. It can wear down on you a bit.

@FFFFE: The point you raise in comparison of live-action dubs to animation dubs is an interesting one. As someone who never watches dubs of live-action films (exempting the most gloriously campy) but routinely watches dubs of animation, I would like to offer something of a converse: to me, dubbing of animation, Japanese animation in particular, is acceptable because the characters exist independently of the physique and performance of their original actors; that is to say, in live action, the voice of the actor is inextricably tied to their physical performance, while in animation, the "physical" performance and voice are completely separate entities. Anime especially, in contrast to Western animation, will typically produce the animation and the voice actors' recordings separately, meaning that the process of recording the original voices and dubbing them into another language is far more similar than you might think. Anime is not an actors' medium; the performances of the voice actors, in any language, are immensely dependent on the script and the instructions of their director. I suppose you could use that statement as a further argument against watching anime dubs, but I feel differently. The director has already produced exactly the visual cues they want, and the actors merely need to lend those cues a voice. If I were the casting director for an animation dub, my primary concern would be casting voices that are true to the spirit of the characters, not merely replications of their original-language counterparts. I'd rather allow the actors to act (even within the restrictive confines available to them), and put themselves into their performance, than concern themselves with imitating someone else's; I think that is more true to the directors' intent than trying to produce a pitch-perfect imitation of the original work. Also, speaking of directorial intent, the other major reason why I watch anime dubs; in anime (and video games), far more than most other mediums, the creators typically have a considerable say in how their work is translated and dubbed, and Evangelion is actually one of the first anime for which this was the case. Anno himself oversaw ADV's adaptation of the series (though how intensively, I'm still unclear); the alternate English episode titles and specifics on translation of terms such as "Angels" and "Instrumentality" were all by his insistence, and I've heard tell (though I can't confirm) that he gave his seal of approval to all of the dub cast. What was a revolutionary thing in the 90s (the only other anime from that time period for which the creator had extensive input in the localization - that I'm aware of - is Ghost in the Shell) is now common practice for companies like Funimation, Bandai, and ADV/Sentai. So when I'm watching a dub by any of these companies, I can rest assured that, more often than not, I am watching an adaptation approved by the original director. (Not that this ensures that every dub is good, as there are still plenty of times I prefer the subbed track - although the standard of quality for modern dubs is leaps and bounds above what it was in the 90s, that's for sure.) Unless I'm misinformed, live-action directors rarely put that kind of attention into foreign dubbing of their films. There are a bunch of other points to raise in the animation dubbing vs. live-action dubbing debate, but I imagine I've consumed enough of your time as is.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 pm

I can see your point, gatotsu911. Though again, I just need to see the director's cast choices first before watching a Funi or Bandai dub. Most of my issues with the English dubs is the awkward emotional inflections and sentence structures in them. Usually that's because the actors are trying to match the lip-flap of a language who's entire grammatical structure is opposite of English. At least that's what Uma Thurma attested to after dubbing Naussica. (And she can fluently speak Japanese.)

Also, I'm not sure how well a foreign director can gauge the emotional performances of an English cast. The English in the Japanese dub of Evangelion 2.22 sounds just as unprofessional as Funi's version of it, whereas when the characters finally went back to speaking Japanese is sounded better within terms of emotional inflection.

(I'm not sure if Anno directed the English lines in the beginning of the movie. Does someone else know?)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”