Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22...

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:POINT BLANK SHIT HEAD is hardly high drama, sure, but come the fuck on it's a dub

Evangelion 2.0 is hardly high drama either, but perhaps that discussion belongs in another topic.

Also, @DanAwful, see what I wrote immediately below that regarding the supposed problem of "consistency".

Also, I have no problem with, and in fact encourage upping the curse-o-meter as shit gets increasingly real. This is precisely why EoE has the best usage of profanity I've ever seen in a dub. J.K. Rowling (whose work I find comparable to Evangelion in a number of ways) makes good use of this trope as well.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

DanAwful
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DanAwful » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:38 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:see what I wrote immediately below that regarding the supposed problem of "consistency".

I did not see that. Sorry!

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:55 pm

I saw the 2.22 dub

the way you guys made it out was like it was if Rob Zombie directed the dub....which is so not true

the profanity, while there, is pretty much kept to a minimal as far
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:10 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:Like I've said, There was no swearing in the last film at all. You rather have it or you don't. Stop being inconsistent.

Important note:

You Are (Not) Alone: No Mari

You Can (Not) Advance: Mari

Very inconsistent.

DanAwful
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DanAwful » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:12 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Important note:

You Are (Not) Alone: No Mari

You Can (Not) Advance: Mari

Very inconsistent.

You Are (Not) Alone: No Asuka

You Can (Not) Advance: Asuka

Very inconsistent.

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:29 pm

View Original PostFallingtogrey wrote:Like I've said, There was no swearing in the last film at all. You rather have it or you don't. Stop being inconsistent.

Why dont you stop bitching about swear words. It isnt a big deal.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:55 pm

If you don't like swearing you should SHUT YOUR GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING BITCH-ASS MOUTH

Don't forget 3.0: You Will (Never) See This Movie, which will feature Some Asuka
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

RMZX
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby RMZX » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:12 pm

View Original PostTravosaga wrote:I was very pleased with the dub. The Evangelion dub (movies and series) are the only dubs I'll watch. Everything else just seems lacking in quality or the voices don't seem to fit right.

Actually, the only thing I didn't like about the funimation version was the packaging itself. The original Japanese blu-ray box is the real classy plain orange while the international version has the same orange box with the ugly blue stripe across the top letting everybody know it's a blu-ray. It really stands out and is kind of ugly. Oh well. I own the Japanese version too so I'll just keep that one on display.

They do the Blue-Stripe of Ugly because People are stupid and cannot pay attention to what version they are buying, I honestly think its done so some moron doesn't think they put DVD's in the Blu-ray area by accident. Or they put them side by side and you wouldn't be able to tell which is which.(Except you can since the DVD case is larger, but I digress.)

Doesn't really matter to me, its just going on my shelf afterall.
:|

gordanham
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gordanham » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Just watched it. I was really excited. Though I didn't find the cursing and issue, after seeing the posts here I can't say I feel as comfortable as I did before with it.

There were a few things that specifically bugged me about the dub.

The first is the scene Mari activates Beast Mode. I really loved the "nothing ventured, nothing gained" line, but in this one they completely ruined it with jumbbling and adding dialogue with no reason. They don't even have the lip flap excuse since you don't see her mouth,

And again. This time I was much more upset, and it was another case where they changed and ommited dialogue, when there wasn't even any lip flaps. They completely cut out Kaworu's "this time for sure" line.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:31 am

I'm actually curious about the new dub, and might watch some of it.

Somehow I think Mari cursing is actually alright since even if we barely know anything about her I gotta say it feels natural, just because it's her. It isn't anything like that completely retarded Shinji's "bullshit" in the original series. Now THAT was out of place.

I haven't seen any of the 1.0 dub either so I'm still curious how Spike's screaming is now..

DanAwful
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DanAwful » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:05 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Somehow I think Mari cursing is actually alright since even if we barely know anything about her I gotta say it feels natural, just because it's her. It isn't anything like that completely retarded Shinji's "bullshit" in the original series. Now THAT was out of place.

I agree. The cursing in the dub is said by two new characters not in the previous film. One is a battle hungry young girl and the other is a 30-year-old adult who'd had a couple drinks. It's not like Gendo suddenly decided to get colorful with his language or Rei inadvertently let out a "f**k" when she found out her party had to be canceled.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:35 am

"JUST PUSH THE FUCKING BUTTON, REALLY-BAD-AT-YOUR-JOB-MAYA!" Would have been appropriate, though.

DanAwful
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DanAwful » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:"JUST PUSH THE FUCKING BUTTON, REALLY-BAD-AT-YOUR-JOB-MAYA!" Would have been appropriate, though.

I agree.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:58 am

Funimation's Clip 5 is up! It's Asuka talking with Misato before the testing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0aY3pCid9s

View Original PostDanAwful wrote:or Rei inadvertently let out a "f**k" when she found out her party had to be canceled.

That gave me a rather hilarious mental image:

Section 2 Guys: .....

Rei: *shocked, her food boils over on the stove* .....

Rei: What do you MEAN my dinner party's cancelled because of an Angel attack?! All that hard work for Commander Ikari and Ikari-kun, ruined! FFFFFFFFU----- *Rei proceeds to singlehandedly beat up Bardiel and Zeruel--Beast Mode style and with some AT Field magics for good measure*

Shinji: *stunned* ...What the hell was that?

________

As for the swearing issue, it does fit Mari's character considering she says "bastard" and (I think) "shit" in the Japanese version, but there's a difference between "mild" curses like that and letting out an F-bomb. It does fit the stress of the situation with the Third Angel, but I'm not quite sure what to think of it... At least it doesn't sound that it's completely out of place like Spike Spencer's "Bullshit! My father did that?!" in the Platinum dub or the AWL style trainwreck of the Mangle Entertainment Death/"Re-air" and EoE dubs.

Anyway, I'm rather interested in hearing Spencer during the whole Zeruel sequence. I remember not finding 1.0 dub (yes 1.0 proper) not too bad despite a few nitpicks, so hopefully 2.22 will be pretty good. :)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

DanAwful
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DanAwful » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:04 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Section 2 Guys: .....

Rei: *shocked, her food boils over on the stove* .....

Rei: What do you MEAN my dinner party's cancelled because of an Angel attack?! All that hard work for Commander Ikari and Ikari-kun, ruined! FFFFFFFFU----- *Rei proceeds to singlehandedly beat up Bardiel and Zeruel--Beast Mode style and with some AT Field magics for good measure*

Shinji: *stunned* ...What the hell was that?

I smell gold. Write that up and send it to my office will ya?

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:05 pm

View Original PostDanAwful wrote:I agree. The cursing in the dub is said by two new characters not in the previous film. One is a battle hungry young girl and the other is a 30-year-old adult who'd had a couple drinks. It's not like Gendo suddenly decided to get colorful with his language or Rei inadvertently let out a "f**k" when she found out her party had to be canceled.

Out of curiosity, what exactly do they say? I understand Mari says something like "point blank shithead", but what about (presumably) Misato? :)

DanAwful
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DanAwful » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:10 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Out of curiosity, what exactly do they say? I understand Mari says something like "point blank shithead", but what about (presumably) Misato? :)

That's the thing. It's not Misato. It's Kaji. All he says is shit.

Mari at the beginning says, "just. f**king. die!" as she's jabbing the third angel with her lance.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:16 pm

I'm just going to leave these here... :ninja:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mRAexi9274
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIDfzFUdnM

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:35 pm

Thanks man :clap:

Anyway, the cursing really isn't that bad...

The dub itself is though, lolololololo

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:59 pm

I think the dub is pretty well executed. In fact, it's one of the best EVA dubs I've seen. In my opinion, it surpasses End of Evangelion and 1.11. In fact, here's my ranking on the dubs of EVA.

1. 2.22
2. 1.11
3. End of Evangelion
4. Neon Genesis Evangelion

I perfer dubs anyway. The only anime I've watched in sub was Gurren Lagann (and it was an OFFICIAL SUB, not an ILLEGAL SUB so STFU!!)
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”