Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:21 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:I never appreciated how Spencer always exaggerated Shinji from being this insecure kid, kind of meek and weak, into this cartoonish whiny coward. His toning it down this time is what's made him tolerable for me. I don't remember laughing at anything he said. I could tell he was trying to be funny, but it wasn't impressing me.

See, I don't agree with that. (Surprise, surprise.) I do think he was more externally expressive compared to Ogata, who tried to sound more repressed, and I know for a fact that this was a conscious decision. In comparing the two performances, I tend to think that Ogata played Shinji like a child, while Spencer played him like a teenager. Ogata was fantastic, of course, but I think Spencer was very good in his own way, and there are at least a few scenes in which I actually like his performance better (the hospital scene springs to mind).

Actually, yes, Allison Keith did have her time with Mike McFarland (the "commentary" was little more than one-on-ones during the movie, and not really any commentary as the scenes played, much like the FMA movie's dub commentary). I don't recall that much about her talk except that she seems very nurturing-sounding (she is a mother, so I'm not surprised) and talked about getting fan mail from soldiers overseas.

That's pretty awesome. What little I've seen and heard about Keith has always made it seem ironic to me that she's best known for playing these freewheeling, ass-kicking, hard-drinking, sexy characters (e.g. Misato and Melissa Mao). She seems like a totally sweet, soft-spoken and wholesome lady (she teaches elementary schoolers, for goodness' sakes - imagine if any of them are into anime). But then, I think she did a great job of selling Misato as a character who appears to be irresponsible and promiscuous, but behind the facade is very caring and nurturing to those close to her. Maybe she was TOO good at it - it's hard to take some of the more cynical interpretations of her character suggested by the last few episodes and movie seriously when she sounds so damn nice. Also, I note the irony of a situation in which the English voice actor for a character has a more high-pitched voice than the Japanese one (with the Japanese one coming off of Sailor Moon, no less).

Regarding McFarland's commentary format of choice: what he told me is that basically he finds most movie commentaries boring, so he figured his time would be better spent in short segments talking to a bunch of different people than have them all sitting in a room for nearly two hours. I asked him if he'd seen the Manga commentaries, and he said he didn't remember, which in this case probably means he hadn't. (And that is all that I will say about that.) Also, I figure he doesn't think he can really offer much of substance on the actual content of the film, seeing as he wasn't actually involved in the original creative process, and I guess doesn't want to just fling around pure conjecture. Would that a certain Mr. Greenfield could be so humble.

SSD wrote:And you can certainly tell by hearing the voices that they're treating to match the Japanese counterparts as close as possible...which is part of how dubbing should be anyway.

I DISCONCUR, TO THE OMEGA DEGREE. The purpose of a dub (or any translation of a work of art or entertainment) should be to recreate the INTENT of the original, not the FORM. Voice actors should be allowed to ACT, not just required to mimic. Try to get all the voice actors to sound EXACTLY like the Japanese originals and you end up with something like the abomination that was FLCL's dub, where everyone tried to sound EXACTLY like the Japanese voice actors but instead sounded like people from another planet trying unsuccessfully to convince us that they have human emotions. The pitch, tonal inflections and dialogue pacing that work in the Japanese language DO NOT WORK in English. Besides, if you want to hear the Japanese voice acting, WATCH IT WITH THE Japanese VOICE ACTING. This is the twenty-first century, bilingual DVDs are everywhere, illegal fansubs even moreso; we have long since reached a point at which the dub vs. sub debate is purely a matter of personal preference, and no one who has a set-in-stone preference for Japanese is likely to be swayed by any dub, no matter how good it is. The only reason for which dubs should be directly compared to the originals is to determine whether they preserve the authorial intent of the scene; apart from that, they should be judged on their own merits, not by comparison. Voice actors should be encouraged to make each role their own, not forced to languish in the shadow of the Japanese originals. Trying to get professional voice actors to mimic rather than act is insulting to both them and their audience. [/rant]

And I still feel Funimation having dub Shinji and Rei refer to each other on a first-name basis is a terrible mistake in case they become closer in the last two films, but what can you do. Basically, if they actually refer to each other by their first names instead of "Ikari-kun" and "Ayanami"--especially for a dramatic moment or what have you, how is Funimation's dub going to work around that? Just ignore that? But that would remove the emotional impact if so...

I do agree with this, though. I'm really not sure why Funimation felt the need to change this. Sure, having characters refer to each other on a last-name basis might sound a bit formal to Western ears, but it's not like, say, honorifics, a concept that Westerners simply can't understand without outside knowledge. Shinji and Rei are supposed to be kind of distant; their relationship is supposed to be a little off. And what's next, having everyone call Kaji "Ryoji"? I don't think anyone ever complained about people referring to each other on a last-name basis in the original dub. Hell, I don't think anyone ever complained about people referring to each other on a last-name basis in Harry Potter. This is not a concept that does not translate into English; it translates just fine. So why change it? For added irony/hypocrisy on this front, I am pretty sure there's one moment during the climax of the film where Shinji/Spike Spencer actually uses "-chan" when calling out to Rei. I REALLY hope I heard that wrong during the screening I attended, because that would be misplaced and jarring as hell. (Please, Evangelion, don't start doing that FLCL dub thing where you change your mind every other scene as to whether you're going to use honorifics. In fact, we're speaking English here, so don't use honorifics at all.)
Last edited by gatotsu911 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:04 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote: I am pretty sure there's one moment during the climax of the film where Shinji/Spike Spencer actually uses "-chan" when calling out to Rei. I REALLY hope I heard that wrong during the screening I attended, because that would be misplaced and jarring as hell.

Yeah, you misheard.

He actually shouts "Rei, come on!".

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:08 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:Yeah, you misheard.

Oh. Whew.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:35 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:[rant]

Let me clarify what I meant. :sweatdrop:

I completely agree that actors in a dub have to act and the translation must reflect certain adaptions when straight translations wouldn't work (eg: "Home sweet home" versus "I'm home"/"Welcome home" fits), but I do think one aspect of the dub/translation process should be to be somewhat similar to the Japanese counterparts. A dub's own spin is fine as long as it's within reason. (IMO, NGE-Spencer made Shinji come across as whiny which--also IMO--contributed to the fan-hate Shinji gets compared to Ogata's portrayal. I felt Spencer was decent in 1.0 but I haven't seen his take in 2.0 except for the clips so I can't really comment.)

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Shinji/Spike Spencer actually uses "-chan"

I'd only like to hear such in the context of "Ayanami-imouto[-chan]" personally, but who knows if something like is even going to happen in NME. >_> At the very least, hearing such in a dub WOULD be rather...grating.

Sometimes the Japanese suffixes in dubs can work though, case in point: Atlus' Persona 3 (I really need to play the other ones...) But video games and anime are different mediums, so perhaps that's a moot point.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:09 pm

The end of the clip when McFarland and Spike give the release date was pretty funny, I has expecting McFarland to just nod along like he did last time but I nearly wet myself when he started yelling.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:39 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:(IMO, NGE-Spencer made Shinji come across as whiny which--also IMO--contributed to the fan-hate Shinji gets compared to Ogata's portrayal. I felt Spencer was decent in 1.0 but I haven't seen his take in 2.0 except for the clips so I can't really comment.)

I've heard this opinion before but disagree. For one thing I would question the link between outcome and causation - a lot of Western fans dislike Shinji, this is true, but I think it has far more to do with the way his characterization clashes with Western perceptions of what a "hero" should be than anything else. I think the series' explosion in American popularity after being aired on Adult Swim would seem to contradict the notion that the dub was a barrier to people's appreciation of it. Spencer plays the character more like a pissed off teenager in comparison to Ogata's fearful child; it's different, sure, and louder, definitely, but speaking personally I can't say it ever once interfered with my ability to empathize with the character. In fact, back when I was a pissed off teenager myself, I found Spencer's portrayal of Shinji easier to relate to. Sure Spencer tends to be a bit cartoony and over-the-top in some of the early episodes, but like the rest of the cast he becomes significantly more nuanced along with the character, and as Shinji's inner anger came into greater and greater focus in the series I found Spencer's approach to be increasingly appropriate. For instance, watch episode 19, in particular the scenes in which Shinji is talking to Gendo and later Misato about his decision to give up his job as a pilot; Spencer just nails the apathy, resentment and suppressed rage in Shinji's voice.

Keep in mind I mean none of this as a knock to Ogata's performance, which as I've said is fantastic, particularly in the later episodes, and is admittedly in many cases more understated and emotionally multidimensional than Spencer's. I just think that Spencer's performance is nonetheless exceptional in its own right, and I think trying to compromise it by having him try harder to imitate Ogata just ends up satisfying no one.

Sometimes the Japanese suffixes in dubs can work though, case in point: Atlus' Persona 3 (I really need to play the other ones...) But video games and anime are different mediums, so perhaps that's a moot point.

I've been playing Persona 3 Portable for the last few months (goodness is it fun) and for the most part I really like Atlus's localization (they are, after all, one of the best localization houses in the country). But to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure how I feel about the use of honorifics. I get that the setting is very distinctly Japanese (and for that reason I would've preferred to have a dual-language option, but oh well), but the fact of the matter is that honorifics are just jarringly meaningless when used in English, and hearing them come out of the mouths of English-speaking actors is nothing but awkward. So again, I'm not sure.

@Knightmare: Yeah, I did not see that coming, especially out of Mike McFarland of all people. Made me laugh, though.

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:43 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:@Knightmare: Yeah, I did not see that coming, especially out of Mike McFarland of all people. Made me laugh, though.

It definitely was funny
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:39 pm

Heres a gripe I have with the dub from the clips ive seen, and its only a minor one:

Compare the elevator scene from the sub and the dub - specifically the vocalisation of Asuka's reaction when see spots Rei as the doors open.

Japanese versh: a small exhalation of shock and then a small noise that seems to indicate shes steeling herself for something she doesnt want to do.

English versh: Asuka makes a noise like an annoyed Marge Simpson.

Its not the EoE gun/slap controversy but even so theres no reason to ditch subtlety like this. I hope theres not a theme of it running through 2.22. It says something that this is the biggest moan I have from watching all the dub clips - even with the added hassle of trying to get around Funi's block on some of the videos for the UK.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I've heard this opinion before but disagree. For one thing I would question the link between outcome and causation - a lot of Western fans dislike Shinji, this is true, but I think it has far more to do with the way his characterization clashes with Western perceptions of what a "hero" should be than anything else. I think the series' explosion in American popularity after being aired on Adult Swim would seem to contradict the notion that the dub was a barrier to people's appreciation of it. Spencer plays the character more like a pissed off teenager in comparison to Ogata's fearful child; it's different, sure, and louder, definitely, but speaking personally I can't say it ever once interfered with my ability to empathize with the character. In fact, back when I was a pissed off teenager myself, I found Spencer's portrayal of Shinji easier to relate to.

I always thought that Spencer played into the lack of understanding of Shinji, via his extra whiny portrayal of Shinji. It was pretty clear to me that Spencer himself didn't get the character, and certainly Matt Greenfield didn't, either.

It wasn't really until I heard Ogata's performance that I really began to sympathize with Shinji, because there's none of that exaggerated whiny tone to her Shinji. He's just very meek and downtrodden. Spencer's Shinji, in comparison, seems obnoxious, as if to emphasize that he's a "wuss", because nobody could possibly not want to pilot a cool giant robot and live with beautiful women. Spencer's Shinji is the very essence of this line of thought about the character.

I felt the same way about Johnny Yong Bosch's Renton Thurston in Eureka Seven. Just a very broad exaggeration of Renton to make him seem like a total dork instead of just a naive kid. Very stereotypical, no nuance. Spencer's Shinji is just like that. I didn't like Renton until I watched the Japanese version of E7.

Oh sure, I still felt bad for Spencer's Shinji, to an extent, but I didn't really begin to understand the character like I do now until watching the Japanese verison. Spencer's Shinji evokes pity for a loser. Ogata's evokes sympathy for a disturbed child. The same with Asuka.

Sanctus Scorpius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sanctus Scorpius » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Guess Funimation really are assuming that everyone who's interested in this movie has already seen it.
Then again, their earlier trailers were even more spoiler-filled, what with showing scenes from the climax and all...

Sorry, didn't mean to go on a 'trailers always spoil'-type rant.

I must say Mari's English VA has won me over after my hesitation from that Amazon clip.

For Asuka, Tiffany has improved greatly, though I still prefer Miyamura.

Unfortunately, Rei's new voice just doesn't do it for me. Though I will admit she sounds better in the recently posted clip than I've heard before.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:33 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:Spencer's Shinji evokes pity for a loser. Ogata's evokes sympathy for a disturbed child. The same with Asuka.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

End of discussion.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:48 pm

I must say Mari's English VA has won me over after my hesitation from that Amazon clip.

From Trina Nishimura's facebook page (which is nice to look at because she purty lady):
Dear character of show I worked on today,
While you are adorable and fun to voice...please ease up on the screaming...sheesh.

:grin:

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:23 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:She seems like a totally sweet, soft-spoken and wholesome lady (she teaches elementary schoolers, for goodness' sakes - imagine if any of them are into anime).

Let's hope they don't see her in Golden Boy... ;)
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:08 pm

JK, serious response now.

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:It was pretty clear to me that Spencer himself didn't get the character, and certainly Matt Greenfield didn't, either.

This I will agree with (although I've long suspected that Spencer "gets" Shinji more than he is willing to admit). I question whether it really matters, though. Actors having a different interpretation of a character than their director/writers is hardly a new phenomenon, and does not inherently correlate to the quality of their performance. Spike Spencer's job was to play an uncertain, unhappy and emotionally troubled teenager, and I believe he did that very well - well enough to really make me feel the emotions that character was feeling, anyway, whether they were fear or anger or exasperation or apathy. I think some people find his voice to be grating since it is unusually high-pitched, but that's not really his fault, nor is it necessarily a reflection of his acting capability. Also, let's not kid ourselves here: plenty of people who have seen the Japanese (or any other language) version hate Shinji too. The controversy of his character has far more to do with his antihero (of the Type I variety) status than his voice acting.

It wasn't really until I heard Ogata's performance that I really began to sympathize with Shinji, because there's none of that exaggerated whiny tone to her Shinji.

Really? I thought Ogata was plenty whiny. She just sounds like a child whining instead of a teenager. Again, let me emphasize that I love Shinji as a character and the degree to which I identified with him at his age literally changed my life, but I mean c'mon, he can come off as whiny. Like the rest of the characters, the show is more concerned with making him empathetic than sympathetic - we're supposed to have a general understanding of why he is the way he is, but it's up to the individual viewer how much they sympathize with him for it. He's a classic antihero.

Spencer's Shinji, in comparison, seems obnoxious, as if to emphasize that he's a "wuss", because nobody could possibly not want to pilot a cool giant robot and live with beautiful women. Spencer's Shinji is the very essence of this line of thought about the character.

Again, I think you could reasonably make this complaint for the first few episodes, but not so much the later ones. As I've said way too many times on this very thread, the voice actors' performances grow and develop depth along with the characters. This goes for the Japanese voices as well as the English ones.

I felt the same way about Johnny Yong Bosch's Renton Thurston in Eureka Seven. Just a very broad exaggeration of Renton to make him seem like a total dork instead of just a naive kid. Very stereotypical, no nuance. Spencer's Shinji is just like that. I didn't like Renton until I watched the Japanese version of E7.

I've seen, like, two episodes of Eureka Seven ever, so I can't really comment on this. I've never seen a Johnny Yong Bosch performance disappoint, but then again I've also never seen him attempt a particularly complex character.

Really though, we've reached a point in this debate where we're basically just trading our individual interpretations of these characters and performances, which when you think about it is pretty pointless. I highly doubt either of us is going to suddenly reel back from our monitor, slap ourselves on the forehead and go "Holy shit, my opinion was WRONG!!" So if we get any deeper into a Serious Business argument of personal taste and interpretation, I will have no choice but to whip out The Dude again.

@COACH: I've always wanted to see that ever since I found out it has like 90% of Evangelion's cast in it. I do love me some good 90's anime. I keep hearing it has one of ADV's best old-school dubs, too.

Jeffery Crayon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jeffery Crayon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:05 pm

I got mine from RightStuff when I saw they were shipping them out early (Thanks to those on this forum!!). Watched it last night.....

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!

While I loved the original Japanese, and though I'll get hit upside the head for this, I enjoy dubs better than subs (when done right), and this dub didn't dissapoint. I have watched the original version over and over, but this REALLY sucked me into the film, and the scene with Asuka/Unit 3 vs Unit One....all I can say is WOW. When Unit 1 crushes her entry plug, Tiffany Grants scream is VERY

However, my thoughts:

1) In the build-up to the Sahaquiel attack, I thought the Japanese version had more gravity of the situation going on, and I felt when Shinji needed Misato to make him a path to get to the Angel quicker, it again had the edge on the dub.

HOWEVER during the actual fight with the Angel, I LOVED the dub...thought they did an excellent job.

2) Asuka seems to be in post Episode 19 mode for most of the movie, and I guess it fits with this Asuka being a different character than the one from the series. She seems to be a broken character from almost the first scene....something that didn't come through in the Japanese version to me. Kinda wish the "angry" side of her was toned back, just a little. However, Grant does a great job with her, really enjoyed her acting during the scene where she lays in bed with Shinji....great scene.

She also threw in a good ole fashioned "Wondergirl" in one scene when talking about Rei...brought a smile to my face.

3) Cussing....what is with all the CUSSING!?! I have no problem with it per say, but it seems to be almost gratuitous. I know there were a few bombs in the original audio, but theres probably 5 times as much in the dub, mostly during the battle scenes. Curious as to why they went this route...

4) Miss Shinji and Rei referring to each other by their last names.

5) Mari's VA does a GREAT job, and had me chuckling during her fight scenes with her craziness.

Overall I really loved it....one of the best dubs I've heard to compliment an excellent movie!
"Its corporate espionage!! You've come to steal our good ideas! You've been foiled, we have none." Billy Quizboy

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:16 pm

View Original PostJeffery Crayon wrote:5) Mari's VA does a GREAT job, and had me chuckling during her fight scenes with her craziness.

Yeah, I'm officially on board the Nishimura love train. She awesome. Girl can bring the crazy, which is the important thing. They just better hope Mari isn't revealed to have an aversion to cursing in Q.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:11 pm

View Original PostJeffery Crayon wrote:She also threw in a good ole fashioned "Wondergirl" in one scene when talking about Rei...brought a smile to my face.

Yes, that made me grin. Just like old times, eh?

3) Cussing....what is with all the CUSSING!?! I have no problem with it per say, but it seems to be almost gratuitous. I know there were a few bombs in the original audio, but theres probably 5 times as much in the dub, mostly during the battle scenes. Curious as to why they went this route...

4) Miss Shinji and Rei referring to each other by their last names.

I think trying to do naturalistic dialogue is kind of Funimation's shtick, which has its ups and downs depending on who's writing and what the show is. Point 4 is definitely an example of this going wrong, similar to the whole "Gendo = 'Dad'" thing. However, the cursing I have no problem with. How many PG-13 action/drama movies have you seen where people don't swear? For that matter, don't you think people might swear a little when they're desperately trying to stop an incredibly powerful supernatural abomination from causing the end of the world as we know it? Well-used swearing can greatly enhance the sense of realism in dialogue, in anime or anything else. Frankly, I'd be a bit put off if the dialogue were too squeaky-clean. What's more, I think making Mari foul-mouthed really works great in telling us a lot about the character (which is important considering how little she's developed in this film); she's aggressive, impulsive, and tells it like it is. The first time I saw the movie, my first thoughts regarding the character is that she's sort of like a classic Hollywood action hero, in contrast to the brooding, conflicted characters of the rest of the cast; I believe what I said at the time was "she's like a young female Bruce Willis". She's headstrong, snarky, wastes no time on this "angst" silliness, and perhaps enjoys violence just a little too much. I think the decision to make her the most foul-mouthed character in the movie fits this persona excellently. That said, I'm not totally sold on Nishimura's performance yet. Maybe I need to see the movie again (what am I saying, of course I need to see the movie again) but she didn't sound quite crazy enough for me. She sounded a little too much like just your typical teenage girl with an attitude. She didn't quite have the bite I would have hoped for. It looks like she'll have a lot more to do in the coming movies, so we'll see; maybe she'll start to get more comfortable in the role and really make it her own, just like the voice actors in the original series did.

Jeffery Crayon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Jeffery Crayon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:21 pm

Yeah, it was just like old times. ;)

And I totally agree, like when she was cussing at the Third Angel in the opening, it took me completely by surprise, but at the same time I loved it and thought it was perfect. But I just felt there was TOO much of it, and it took away from the dramatic moments instead of enhancing them at times. But I totally get your point.

Yeah, I didn't think about the Gendo=Dad thing when I was typing this....BUT...it did make Gendo's reaction fit a lot better when Shinji DOES call him "FATHER!!" when he's pleading to pilot Unit 1 against Zeruel.
"Its corporate espionage!! You've come to steal our good ideas! You've been foiled, we have none." Billy Quizboy

zuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby zuka » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:25 am

I grew up watching the dubs (started watching Eva when I was 13, now I'm 23... yeeesh) and I thought I'd wait to watch Rebuild until the dubs came out. I couldn't wait, obviously, and ended up watching both in the original Japanese, and now I can't imagine watching the dubs after viewing the clips and trailers.

The dubs of the original series will always be my first love, but the voice acting in rebuild is far more subtle and multifaceted. The chick who voices Asuka in English screams way too much and Ayanami is too dull.

Allison Keith's voice is sooo much hotter than her Japanese counterpart's, though. When I watched Rebuild 1 and 2 in Japanese, Misato went from being my ultimate woman to the voice of a female train announcer coming from the body of a model.
Eva is the only anime I've ever watched, so I'm sorry if I don't get your jokes.

Fallingtogrey
Adam

Who ever wrote the dub script for 2.22...

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Possibly.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”