Official Rebuild Dub Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:48 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Here's something that may be a bit more productive than all this: How has Grant been in recent works? I realize now that I haven't really heard her in anything but Eva (save a few bit roles here and there). Has she done anything lately that gives you an impression one way or another? Same goes for other actors, too.

Her Martel in Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood was pretty damn good. Even if she's only in it for a few episodes, I didn't even know it was her.

penguintruth
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby penguintruth » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:51 pm

It was obviously her.

She was a fair Martel, I guess, but nothing special. Her screams were way off and she could be wooden at times. But you can tell she was at least trying.

Asuka is a much meatier part.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:08 pm

There's an "I" in that statement. That means me, not you. If you noticed it was her, great. But I didn't.

It sounds nothing like her Asuka at all is probably the reason why.

Frozzy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Frozzy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:57 pm

i for one am pleased to see Tiffany reprise Asuka again just to have some continuity between the tv and rebuild versions i never was one for the subbed version call me a idiot but i prefer listening to it in english then reading subtitles all the time as for Mari it'll be intersting to see how the dub presents her accent i guess since she didnt seem American maybe she will have a russian accent or something?
"You're thinking in Japanese! If you must think, do it in German!"

The Forgotten Knight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby The Forgotten Knight » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm

I really liked Rei's new voice. I feel it added so much more to her character. Toji's didn't really bother me seeing as he only had 3 minutes of screen time anyway.
Death is certain, Life is not.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:21 pm

The English dub for 1.0 was great although I'm still a subtitle guy most of the time. As for Mrs. Grant reprising her role as Asuka...well, she does the bitchy arrogant personality very well but usually doesn't handle the subtle stuff as well. Let's just hope that she plays Shikinami and not Soryu.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Guilt & Innocence
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Guilt & Innocence » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:32 am

I kinda have a problem with the same english voice actor both playing Komui Lee and Kaji. Its not that I hate the actor, its just how is it going to work? Well he also did voice Ray Plateire in Lux - pain so maybe it will work[/url]
Will the darkness in their hearts be purified?
"Rawr *Chomp Chomp* RawR *Chomp* *swallow*" - Yui Ikari

"Let's analyze this, if I were to run away, where the fuck would I go?" - Shinji Ikari Gag dub

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:30 pm

Got some interesting news from Funi, it appears they are making a deal to get movies on Video on Demand including their rebuild 2 release, here's the good part, some of the titles will be released on the same date as their theatrical release, and 2.0 will be on TV before it's DVD/ Bluray release!

for the full article: [url]http://blog.funimation.com/2011/01/asian-media-rights-and-funimation-entertainment-agree-to-video-on-demand-partnership/[/url]
Last edited by KnightmareX13 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:58 pm

Cool news. Looks like they are trying to make money off of the "2.0" version of the film after all:

"Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance will be the first anime feature film in North America to be made available on cable and satellite VOD before FUNimation releases an expanded version of the film, Evangelion 2.22, on DVD and Blu-ray on March 29, 2011."

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:03 am

View Original PostGasmaskAvenger wrote:as for Grant returning, it was something to be expected more or less

This. I'd have been amazed if they hadn't gone with her.

View Original PostGalaxy News Reidio wrote:Even in the original dub, she was pretty dang great, and "What are you, stupid?" just wouldn't sound right coming out of any other mouth.

Indeed. Just the same as Asuka's "anta baka" wouldn't sound right without Miyamura's voice. There are some things that end up falling into place neatly.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:52 am

Grant came back. That's not a surprise because it was only a matter of time before she would. It was inevitable. But still,I'm happy she came back.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:42 am

View Original PostEva 04 wrote:Grant came back. That's not a surprise because it was only a matter of time before she would. It was inevitable. But still,I'm happy she came back.

Heh....*snickers* I just hope that the voice acting director has a proper grasp on whats needed in this movie's dub. AKA tame the wild beast that is Tiffany Grant. I sure hope that we dont get the same annoying, terribly exaggerated voice work we did from the old ADV NGE dub....

I have hope though.... If Spike Spencer managed to improve his voice acting in time for the 1.0 dub, im sure Grant could do the same....

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:00 am

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:Heh....*snickers* I just hope that the voice acting director has a proper grasp on whats needed in this movie's dub. AKA tame the wild beast that is Tiffany Grant. I sure hope that we dont get the same annoying, terribly exaggerated voice work we did from the old ADV NGE dub....

I have hope though.... If Spike Spencer managed to improve his voice acting in time for the 1.0 dub, im sure Grant could do the same....

Yeah but wasnt she obsessive over Asuka or something? I wonder if that'll have any effect on how well she'll do.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:07 pm

Grant is crazier than a shithouse rat, but she does a damn fine Asuka.
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:54 pm

View Original PostElectric Sachiel wrote:Heh....*snickers* I just hope that the voice acting director has a proper grasp on whats needed in this movie's dub. AKA tame the wild beast that is Tiffany Grant. I sure hope that we dont get the same annoying, terribly exaggerated voice work we did from the old ADV NGE dub....

If Asuka isn't terribly exaggerated and annoying, Grant's not doing it right... the role is not exactly subtle.

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SenorSquiid » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:58 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:If Asuka isn't terribly exaggerated and annoying, Grant's not doing it right... the role is not exactly subtle.

*starts stopwatch. Awaiting shitstorm*
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:27 pm

different strokes for different folks
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:32 am

View Original PostSenorSquiid wrote:*starts stopwatch. Awaiting shitstorm*

El oh el. I defy anyone to say that "terribly annoying and exaggerated" isn't what Asuka herself is going for, at least to start out with.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Has 2.22 got a official MPAA rating yet? The first movie was PG-13 and I think the second movie will most likely be PG-13 as well.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:42 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:If Asuka isn't terribly exaggerated and annoying, Grant's not doing it right... the role is not exactly subtle.

Yeah but there was something about Grant's performance i didnt like. Maybe im too used to the Japanese voice actress and her much "softer" voice. But for some reason i just didnt get Grants english Asuka. They way she performed seemed like she was being "sarcastic" during the bulk of the time you heard her on screen. Terrible just terrible....

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”