Evangelion 2.22, BD/DVD

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:55 pm

I'm actually relieved the special features are on a separate disc, as the movie disc itself is a single-layer BD and squeezing everything onto there would certainly result in noticeable compression.

Dr. Webster
Embryo

Re: I MUST HAVE EET.

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Webster » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:33 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:...for Gainax to give into Funimation's demands.

I kind of suspect what's going on is the opposite.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:13 pm

View Original PostDr. Webster wrote:I kind of suspect what's going on is the opposite.

I don't think Funimation will fund even a limited theatrical release this time around. The money they'd lose on that, coupled with the exhorbitant price of the movie rights themselves would probably ruin them, especially with the anime industry being what it is right now.

Once Gainax tries and fails to get a full theatrical release going with the big names in Hollywood, they'll eventually give in to Funimation. No other anime-focused company could even hope to afford what their asking for the rights. Either that, or we won't get an English release at all.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:30 pm

Good thing Gainax doesn't have Rebuild, huh?
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:36 pm

View Original PostTaekmkm wrote:Good thing Gainax doesn't have Rebuild, huh?

As I understand it, the committee that handles international distribution rights has not changed since Gainax/Khara's parting. But yeah, point taken. Should've said Khara and not Gainax.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Everybody chill. Funimation will get 2.0. This is just what happened with 1.0 all over again. Views on Eva haven't changed in the States and the Japanese producers are just holding out again in hopes that something monstrous will come to fruition (mmm, you'd think this no name producer who announces live action Eva is almost ready to start shooting would step in and try to pick up the fi- oh wait, he's a nobody who's only produced some cheap Halo direct to DVD shorts. Yeah, he's got nothing).

2.0 will hit North American shores in 2011 no question. And before the year is up we'll have some kind've solid idea on when Funimation will release it. The film's too hot an anime property to pass up (1.0 was one of the few releases last year that sold pretty well on North American shores).

Don't lose any sleep about it. It'll be released.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:09 pm

But how can we chill when our Evangelions are at stake?! THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS! :rei_hissyfit:

Anywho, do you actually have some statistics on 1.0/1.11's sales in the US? I've been trying to find them for ages but even Wikipedia has failed me.

Archaea
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Archaea » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:37 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:I don't think Funimation will fund even a limited theatrical release this time around. The money they'd lose on that, coupled with the exhorbitant price of the movie rights themselves would probably ruin them, especially with the anime industry being what it is right now.

Once Gainax tries and fails to get a full theatrical release going with the big names in Hollywood, they'll eventually give in to Funimation. No other anime-focused company could even hope to afford what their asking for the rights. Either that, or we won't get an English release at all.

Do you know what the rights cost? I agree they are probably astronomical, but just out of curiosity-- have you by any chance seen the numbers anywhere?
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.

rilocay
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby rilocay » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:05 am

Just thought i'd post here to the Aussie's that may have purchased the 1.11 blu-ray from madman. The first batch's just missed on the booklet (as listed on the back) due to making a date but if you kindly shoot them an email with your receipt they will get back to you in regards to getting one pretty quick.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:42 pm

View Original PostArchaea wrote:Do you know what the rights cost? I agree they are probably astronomical, but just out of curiosity-- have you by any chance seen the numbers anywhere?

No, I don't think Funimation can legally say exactly how much Gainax/Khara wants for the rights. However, they did say that it was more than any other rights for an anime.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:42 pm

My 2.22 Hong Kong regular editon Blu-ray has been marked "ready to ship" @ YesAsia! Hooray!!! If no-one beats me to receiving it, I'll give my impressions on video/subs/etc.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:53 pm

My HK BD has shipped. I'll be surprised if I receive it in less than a week and I didn't receive a tracking number, but hopefully someone will receive it soon and be able to relay the picture and subtitle quality to the rest of the hive.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:38 pm

Sometimes one should seriously question themselves whether licensing companies are a "value-add" or "value-less". I believe many times they're the latter.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Rathalos
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rathalos » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:55 pm

After seeing that 2.0 is being released with the clip from the movie, I had to change my pants around 7 times... make that 8. :fap:

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:06 am

View Original PostRathalos wrote:After seeing that 2.0 is being released with the clip from the movie, I had to change my pants around 7 times... make that 8. :fap:
I wonder if anyone got a 35mm of the credits.....?

LazerBlader
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LazerBlader » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:39 am

If anyone's looking to save a little money on getting the official Hong Kong version of Evangelion 2.22, the popular import video game online store Renchi.com sells them for a little cheaper than YesAsia. Shipping from them is several dollars. Also use coupon code TMNUFJHH on Renchi for an additional 2% off.

HK Blu-Ray release @ Renchi
HK DVD release @ Renchi
HK Blu-Ray Bonus Disc @ Renchi

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:06 pm

View Original PostLazerBlader wrote:If anyone's looking to save a little money on getting the official Hong Kong version of Evangelion 2.22, the popular import video game online store Renchi.com sells them for a little cheaper than YesAsia. Shipping from them is several dollars. Also use coupon code TMNUFJHH on Renchi for an additional 2% off.

HK Blu-Ray release @ Renchi
HK DVD release @ Renchi
HK Blu-Ray Bonus Disc @ Renchi

The YesAsia package comes with the bonus disc included, though. Plus shipping, it'll come around to the same price no matter which site you order of off.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:13 pm

It's cheapest to get the special features disc separately from Play-Asia. $7.90 + $3.90 shipping is still less than $14.99 with free shipping.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

LazerBlader
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby LazerBlader » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:16 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:The YesAsia package comes with the bonus disc included, though. Plus shipping, it'll come around to the same price no matter which site you order of off.

Really? Cuz the bonus disc shows up as not coming with the HK Blu-Ray on YesAsia. Hmm at least for me, with shipping included, Renchi's the cheapest option for me so maybe ymmv?

ag1h
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ag1h » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:28 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:I'm actually relieved the special features are on a separate disc, as the movie disc itself is a single-layer BD and squeezing everything onto there would certainly result in noticeable compression.

The JP version (BD50) came out to be about 43GB in total size.

In the JP version, excluding the extras and other things like navigation menu, the movie alone with 3 Japanese audio tracks was about 32GB or so; the HK version includes an additional Chinese audio track (Dolby Digital 2.0).

Since the HK version (BD25) has one more audio track, even if the movie really uses up all of the 25GB available, in terms of specs I'd say that's a pretty significant compression.

In reality though, when I watched both versions I didn't find any noticeable differences in quality on my setup: a PS3 connected to a 24" ViewSonic monitor (VX2433wm) through HDMI and Logitech z5500 through optical out.

However, my HK version BD froze up after the
SPOILER: Show
Unit 03 vs. Unit 01
scene and my PS3 kept showing error msg after I took out the disc and put it back in (whereas the JP BD plays just fine) so I'm exchanging it.

P.S. Is anybody getting the TW version?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”