Dummy Plug/System in NME

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

[Spoilers] Dummy Plug/System in NME

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:54 pm

I was thinking about this. Then I raged a little, but that's not important because I eventually got back to semi-productive thinking.

What general purpose does the camera shield have when the Dummy Plug is active? Yeah, it magically fits the dramatic context the movie uses it in so Shinji doesn't have to watch what he's doing to Asuka and all that, but I see more obvious cons than pros from a general use standpoint.

What if the Dummy Plug would be used as a co-pilot? The human pilot would be at a gross disadvantage by being completely unprepared and having no idea where he or she was after switching the Eva back to manual control.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Nobody?

I had this idea that the shield isn't actually a standard effect of the Dummy Plug and, since it's basically Rei's consciousness that's in control, "she" flipped the visor down to make it less traumatizing for Shinji. It sounded alright at first, but I realized that this completely falls apart the moment you consider that, if Rei's disembodied consciousness is aware and sympathetic enough to protect Shinji, then she certainly could have made a more humane attempt at salvaging Asuka after EVA-03's neck was broken, rather than jumping straight in to maim the unit and sloppily crush the entry plug.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:59 pm

I can not say for sure who is in charge while this is happening. The Dummy Plug System is more or less Rei -but- not the Rei we know. The Rei inside has no memories of Shinji or anyone else.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:46 am

Which is why I extrapolated by saying that maybe the Rebuild Dummy Plug is more advanced and self-aware than the TV version, but that doesn't really help explain the Rebuild scene either.

Annihilator
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Annihilator » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:57 am

Maybe it works a safety cage for the pilot once it is activated? seeing as it restrains Shinji. Maybe the new dummy plugs also need the pilot to work?

wonderluster
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby wonderluster » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:08 am

well it wouldn't need a pilot, that simply contradicts the original use of the dummy plug. I think that maybe Gendo being the regular jerk he is simply put it into production without double checking it for bugs in the system. Like caterpillars.
On the path to Universal Understanding.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:10 am

Annihilator wrote:Maybe the new dummy plugs also need the pilot to work?

I don't know Japanese, but i recognized the line "blabla syncro catto", which would indicate that all synchronization between the pilot and the Eva was terminated. Also, right after the D.S. is activated, the chokemarks disapear from Shinji's neck and he gets a breather, even though EVa-03 is still busily strangling Unit-01. So no, i don't think the pilots were ever intended to be used in conjunction with the D.S. Then again, if that is the case, one has to wonder why did they bother with the pilot restraining system at all.

But the Evangelions have some physical controllers within the cockpit. Though i always thought those are worth squat without proper synching, maybe the restraints are used to prevent the pilot from reaching for those?

I think it's just a design decision on the creators part, when all is said and done.

Last edited by SaltyJoe on Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:59 am

SaltyJoe wrote:But the Evangelions have some physical controllers within the cockpit. Though i always thought those are worth squat without proper synching, maybe the restrains are used to prevent the pilot from reaching for those?

That's what I was thinking. If you've got a pilot in there while you activate the dummy system, you really don't want to give him/her the chance to screw with it. It'd make sense to restrain the pilot.

Though in real life, because it looked cool, and added to Shinji's bewilderment, and added a more visible element to control being taken away.
"...I follow you both online and offline, and I am a 4-dimensional manifestation of absolute evil..." - Reichu-tachi
"In all cases, eventually it becomes necessary to decide to 'deliberately betray the fans.'" - Yoji Enokido
I believe in the director of Eva 1.11.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:13 pm

Maybe it works a safety cage for the pilot once it is activated?

This explains the mechanical arms that keep the pilot from free-floating in the LCL, but not why there's a giant sheet of metal loosely hanging in front of the pilot's face. If anything, it's just something else for them to bang their heads on while getting rattled around in the Dummy-controlled EVA and suffer potentially fatal skull trauma.

And, as it's been stated, if the Dummy Plug was truly designed to function with full independence, then there's no reason for it to interact with a human pilot in the first place. There's also the whole possibility that the Dummy Plug programming could just plain fail for some reason (i.e. not making a successful connection with the EVA, or misidentifying friend from foe after taking over, or whatever) and returning manual control to the pilot would be an absolute necessity. Everything about the Rebuild version just screams Nerv shooting themselves in the foot.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:56 pm

Maybe Yui did it?

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:37 pm

AuraTwilight wrote:Maybe Yui did it?

This goes back to the "If the system is human enough to make a conscious decision to protect Shinji why can't it protect Asuka" problem.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:37 pm

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:
AuraTwilight wrote:Maybe Yui did it?

This goes back to the "If the system is human enough to make a conscious decision to protect Shinji why can't it protect Asuka" problem.

Because Yui...really, really doesn't give a shit about any other human on the planet but her son and she doesn't care if her own fucking husband has to die for it?

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Lucretius » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:48 pm

Was anyone else freaked out by the creepily sensual way Gendo touches the Dummy Plug system? *shudders*

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm just confused at why they abbreviate it as DMYSYS. Makes me think it reads as Da Misses

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:08 pm

Replying to a post from anazaa sureddo...

View Original PostSeele 00 Text Only wrote:The Rei clone at the heart of the dummy plug almost certainly didn't know English.

No one could ever agree about Rei clones being inside dummy plugs when it came to NGE. With NME, do we even know if Rei has anything to do with them at all? The "kinky collar" scene and potential implications drawn from NGE seem totally disconnected, since "DMYSYS" was shipped in from a totally different base (Golgotha) this time. (Incidentally, since we don't know where Golgotha Base is, they might speak English there.)

Unless Golgotha has their own Rei or something (Transfer Student Rei? :tongue: ), how could Rei be associated with the dummy system this time around?

And for that matter, since the dummy system wasn't made at Nerv HQ, just what IS that big "brain" in Nerv's basement being used for?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:21 pm

The DMYSYS has markings on it that look rather similar to those on Asuka's life support. And those three lights... every other instance of three glowy things arranged in that pattern so far has been alive. And angelic.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zetrien
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zetrien » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:27 am

I agree that what we see in the movie is the Rebuild version of the mental backup system, and that the Dummy Plug was one of its two primary functions (that we know of). However, since the Dummy Plug was built outside of NERV's Tokyo-3 base, then it is likely that a Rei-clone was not used as part of the Dummy Plug, if only for the risks of keeping Rei's true nature secret.
Assuming that Rei wasn't used... Perhaps we're looking at a Kaworu Negisa system, like what was used with the MP series in EoE?

As to the discussion about the Dummy Plug inside the plug, while I'm not too sure about the things that grab the handles, there is some sense to the screen, if you remember the line about how the plug was supposed to be able to "support" the pilot, in addition to the autopilot we know of.
The Dummy Plug is singing.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:40 am

View Original PostSeele 00 Text Only wrote:Reichu, that just blew my mind. If we don't know jack about the Dummy Plug or its creation this time around, then the backwards message just might have a little significance... I'm not sure. Seele itself could have made it; the quote uttered sounds like something they would enjoy. I don't think we'll ever know but it's existence isn't as preposterous as I thought.
I don't think the quote is "canon" anymore than it's canon in NGE that the Evas have farandolae or the Daicon animations caused Third Impact. It's put in there backwards as an Easter egg; while it may have thematic significance, nobody in-universe recorded, vocoded and reversed the message.

As for in-universe matters, it always seemed evident to me that NGE implied as heavily as you can imply something that the Dummy Plug contained a Rei. I really don't think we have nearly enough evidence yet to even begin speculating this time, but judging by the Q preview, if a Rei does exist in the DMYSYS this time, she's probably quite a young one.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:53 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:And for that matter, since the dummy system wasn't made at Nerv HQ, just what IS that big "brain" in Nerv's basement being used for?

Problably celular memory, but isnt the reiquarium suposed to keep Rei body from falling apart ?
ANATA BAKA !?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”