GodDARN, 2.0 is silly.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:54 pm

Axell wrote:
SPOILER: Show
i cant decide if the simile of asukas naked scene to shinjis is brilliant or just outright silly and wrong
It's brilliant because it's silly and wrong.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:58 pm

NAveryW wrote:
Axell wrote:
SPOILER: Show
i cant decide if the simile of asukas naked scene to shinjis is brilliant or just outright silly and wrong
It's brilliant because it's silly and wrong.

I actually got a chuckle out of that scene. Partly because of the mood and partly because it was fanservice (Anno making a reference to the same series - Shinji's scene). When she went to pick up her can of beer the first thing I thought was: oh shit, we get to see Asuka tits, then the straw appeared. I thought that was funny.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:04 pm

I also found it silly but what was that around Asukas boobies and dang can Asuka kick.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:00 pm

you guys are pathetic, i would like to quote yahtzee about fans, but that would problably get me a warning or a ban.

i saw the campnes and goofiness especially at the maritme stuff, as a last time toguether with friends before the shit hit the fan, i dont know why some people expected this movie to be more serious, the series wasnt, and the first movie wasnt either.
ANATA BAKA !?

Ramiel²
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ramiel² » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:11 pm

The series Had definitally Serious subcontext in it, after watching 2.0 i got a goofier feeling then at 1.0.

Many things are not in the right place, they made references with the original series and not developing the important arc of it.

Don`t get me wrong, in 2.0 there were many things i liked and i thought that many ideas were really good and fitted evangelion but on the other hand..i kind of hope that it`s a sequel or at least they don`t exclude the possibilty that it could be one.

There is just so many things yet to explain if they want that the tetralogy will be complete for itself.

I kind of expected many answers in 2.0, but it looks like that everything we can do now is waiting for 3.0/4.0 to see what the new story will end like..

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:18 pm

bladerj wrote:you guys are pathetic, i would like to quote yahtzee about fans, but that would problably get me a warning or a ban.

i saw the campnes and goofiness especially at the maritme stuff, as a last time toguether with friends before the shit hit the fan, i dont know why some people expected this movie to be more serious, the series wasnt, and the first movie wasnt either.
The word is "progression". The episodes were slowly becoming more serious as the series went on (Leliel, I sorely miss you here), and also being episodic in itself gives you narrative breaks. Not so in a movie, and if you don't have the time to get from silly to dark, then tone down the sillyness.

In retrospect, it's kinda funny how people scratched Israfel as a potential returning Angel early on for the dance-mat-training, because that would have been too silly in contrast to the dark elements in the end. But that - had it remained with it - would have been nothing against what we have now. (And at least it had some underlaying character progression between Shinji and Asuka. Most of 2.0's silliness doesn't have this kind of bonus.)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:59 pm

Being a bit hyperbolic are we?

You seriously believe all the goofy shipping and dancing that would come with Israfel in Rebuild would not outdo a few little fun jokes here and there?

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:36 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:You seriously believe all the goofy shipping and dancing that would come with Israfel in Rebuild would not outdo a few little fun jokes here and there?
Quite frankly, yes.

First of all, it would be near the beginning, leaving enough or at least much more time to venture towards the dark arc than the "few" jokes spread all over in 2.0.

Secondly, while ridiculous in idea, the actual presentation wasn't nearly as silly, and could have even toned down more.

Thirdly, what you call "goofy shipping", I call character development, which was quite lacking especially on Asuka's part as it is in 2.0. With Shinji and especially Asuka having to learn to work (specifically) with each other would have let them form at least a bond that would have made the Bardiel incident much more believable.

The only true problem I see with it: It would have been too long for the movie (even if they would have scrapped the whole sea-sighting).

snowballreborn
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby snowballreborn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:58 pm

Evangelion 2.0 is silly but probably because it needs to be. 3.0/4.0 will probably be pretty dark and it is hard to introduce Asuka without having chaos break loose. However, some of it is a little too slapstick. The decontamination scene was smart and interesting but it didn't need to be as cartoony as it was. Once 20 minutes has passed it isn't as bad I guess. I think the silly stuff will be passed off a little bit more once we have subs.

One interesting thing I've noticed throughout the many Evangelion films to add to the sillyness:

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:00 pm

I thought the silliness worked in rather well. :hide:

Maximilian
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Maximilian » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:12 pm

I honestly laughed at the silly moments in 2.0, or at least most of them. Compared to the original series, which had it's own comedic moments (which made me :facepalm: waaaaay more often than laugh) I think that 2.0 is superior in that regard. I'd say the Clockiel car scene was probably the most ridiculous of them, but let's be real, in 1.0 Misato's car survives what is essentially a nuclear blast, and we can assume that her car being destroyed will be a running gag in these movies.

If you want to complain about how some of the angel battles felt rushed I'll give that to you, but I think you're taking this a bit too far.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:45 pm

Maximilian wrote:

If you want to complain about how some of the angel battles felt rushed I'll give that to you, but I think you're taking this a bit too far.
Not sure how it's "taking things too far" that drastically affect the emotional experience of the movie... -_-

Not sure about you, but when a movie is mostly light-hearted and comedic, I have a hard time just instantly hitting the switch to change my state of mind 180° all suddenly to see the rest not with a similar light-hearted feel. I just can't take it seriously then, no matter how horrible the events - in fact, the more horrible then, the harder it is to take seriously.
It's like a comedian interrupting his number to announce that he has a fatal illness - and everyone laughs expecting it to be another joke.

Maximilian
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Maximilian » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:59 pm

Huh? For example, take the original Bardiel episode where you have the sweet/lighthearted interaction between Toji and Hikari, which made seeing him ripped apart even more jarring and painful. I felt the same way with the events of this film.

eva0313777
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby eva0313777 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:29 pm

some things were more goofy in the original than in rebuild.like Asuka's arrival,wind blows,they see certain things,she tells them to pay,toji drops his pants.and when she tried teaching Shinji stuff at the pool,if i grab my breasts,will they grow bigger.i swear,some of you make it sound like transformers 2,with dirty jokes and dogs humping

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:37 am

Otakon 08 Ikari wrote:Dang, I did not know Eva 01 could break the sound barrier.

Watch episode 12 again.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby JimmyWolk » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:01 am

Maximilian wrote:Huh? For example, take the original Bardiel episode where you have the sweet/lighthearted interaction between Toji and Hikari, which made seeing him ripped apart even more jarring and painful. I felt the same way with the events of this film.
I'd rather call that "bitter-sweet". While the first half of the episode was hardly all dark and gloomy, and yes, there even were bits and pieces of humor, like Kensuke begging to pilot or Asuka's reaction to Hikari's declaration. But the overall tone was much more serious than in the last minutes of 2.0 before Bardiel. The situation was clearly nagging on everybody who knew the secret, in particular Toji, which made it much more of a natural progression.
In 2.0, we rather have him making a fool out of himself upon his sister's release (yeah, we get it, he's happy. Don't bother with subtle smiling when he can rub himself against her in glee over and over... -_-). We even had a silly joke with the "Isn't it showing a bit much?" testsuit right before the shit hits the fan.

But what am I saying, it obviously seems to be a subjective matter. So I can only say it ruined it for me.

ed: Heh, just watched the Bardiel scene only and it worked much better. Still not quite as well as in the series (probably the audio-quality, but Shinji's begging sounded much less frantic than in the original; and I really miss the pilot-retrieval scene), but better.

Barong
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Barong » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 am

That's what I loved about it. After Asuka tore apart Clockiel so easily the stage was set for a merrier get together than in the series. The crew had fun together, something I really longed for to see, actually. The next angel took quite a bigger effort to defeat, but the trio did it together, Rei and Asuka alike helping a struggling Shinji. The aftermath was joy, obviously. Then came this (in)famous scene where Asuka prepares to pilot 03 - the tension rises for the viewer who knows his original series, certainly, but the cocky, confident girl in RoE sure has no worries. She eventually even opens up to Misato in a way that I guess we all will only understand once the subs are out and with her head up high - really looking forward into the future - walks straight into hell ...

I don't know if this same scene could have felt even remotely as chilling and sad at the same time if executed in the series, where her downfall was already initiated up to that point. And as much I liked Soryu ... well you didn't really expect anything good happen to her.
Now I'm saying this besides having been totally spoiled, but I imagine watching this scene unbiased, with all the happiness preceding it, I never would've guessed they would pull the Bardiel fight of so close - no, even grizzlier - than in the original. Til the very end I would've hoped, maybe even expected Shinji rescuing Asuka. Needles to say that I found this scene didn't only work, but work wonders.

One thing I want to clarify here is that I have certain expectations as to where the end of Rebuild will lead us, explaining the discrepancies to the original series so that the viewer will gain an understanding as to why the characters all seem to be that "little bit more open" towards each other. These fifteen years post the SI are the key there, really, and if these answers won't satisfy me in the end I'm almost positive that I'll have a different look back on the movies as a whole. So far I find them to be a great set-up to what hopefully turns out to be an intriguing finale.
(sequel, multiverse, dream - everything but not just an updated telling of the same story, please - because as THAT it would be hella disappointing)
and he who forgets will be destined to remember

DevilzillA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby DevilzillA » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:50 am

The most ridiculous thing in 2.0 is Misato's ringtone. And you're not "otaku" unless you got the reference.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Barong wrote:in the series, where her downfall was already initiated up to that point. And as much I liked Soryu ... well you didn't really expect anything good happen to her.
As it happens, she comes off lightly compared with how I had mapped out a similar scenario, and I think people know quite what and Asuka fan I am.

In Rebuild, though, it looks like it's following a more gentle riff on the theme -- but even there, NXE did it first.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:28 pm

I thought the silly scenes worked well, as I said in another thread, nothing seemed out of place.

In particular, I LOVED Shinji's u_u expression when he and Pen Pen are in the sterilization room together, the whole sequence reminded me of the episode 13 naked scene with the pilots. XD
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”