2.0 Translation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Sat May 29, 2010 1:40 pm

Forget what I said earlier, I figured out how to change around the subtitles myself.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sat May 29, 2010 2:51 pm

Does anyone have any insights as to what Aoba's "Second Key" remark during the Sahaquiel battle means? In the evageeks subs it's apparently not treated as a proper noun and is just kind of bunged in there unconnected to the rest of the sentence, but in some other subs I've seen it's phrased as if he's saying that they recalculated the trajectory and the Second Key is where it's going to hit. Whatever the Second Key is.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Sat May 29, 2010 4:48 pm

That was because we couldn't quite hear the line when we translated it. The correct translation is "Adjust estimated impact point by 205" if I remember. I'm not at my computer.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 29, 2010 8:58 pm

Of interest(?): Our original 2.0 camrip (My Shinji room scene mistakes and all! :facepalm: ) translation played at Fanime's 2.22 showing (no subs for new scenes).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sat May 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Did you get credit?

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Sun May 30, 2010 12:04 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Of interest(?): Our original 2.0 camrip (My Shinji room scene mistakes and all! :facepalm: ) translation played at Fanime's 2.22 showing (no subs for new scenes).

Oh my god... "Talk about stupidity of epic proportions!", what idiot thought of that... We fansubbers have a little thing called QC which prevents things like rip-mux-play errors.

Wait, can we get a cut of the ticket sales since they used our stuff? Lol...

EDIT: They should publicly apologize for that shit!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun May 30, 2010 2:09 am

They used a DVD rip that they torrented which included our old subtitles. Not a Blu-ray rip, but not the blocky DVD5 version either.

...I hesitate to say "our" subtitles, actually, since I didn't contribute to them in any way. But whoever posted the torrent did use an old version of the subtitles created by members of EGF.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Sun May 30, 2010 2:27 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:They used a DVD rip that they torrented which included our old subtitles. Not a Blu-ray rip, but not the blocky DVD5 version either.

...I hesitate to say "our" subtitles, actually, since I didn't contribute to them in any way. But whoever posted the torrent did use an old version of the subtitles created by members of EGF.

Still, that was serious fail on whoever downloaded it for not bothering to check if it was complete.

When I saw the notification in my e-mail about a new post I started to say "Oh my god... if that is a "SFW???" post I may kill myself". Relax... almost done. Burning midnight oil.

Zetrien
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zetrien » Sun May 30, 2010 3:11 am

I must agree on the fail there. I have a friend that I'm sure would've been there for it, I almost feel sorry for him. Odds are they just wanted to make sure they had something to show, even if it was bad.
I found this place last week, and I've been looking through some topics, but finding out how badly one of my local anime conventions failed...
Funny, what will drive one to finally register for a forum, isn't it?

But anyway, I'd just like to say how I appreciate what you guys are doing here. I look forward to seeing the movie with proper subs, and I'm sure my friend does as well.
The Dummy Plug is singing.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 30, 2010 10:19 am

...I wonder if I should speak up at the Monday 10AM showing (well, to the computer guy) and mention those are old camrip subs (and that there are DVD/BD subs out there)... Or at least mention it on the Fanime forums. Hmm.

Still, conventions themselves SHOULD always double-check for accuracy/the current version of something instead of (presumably) just using the first thing they find. :sigh:

Zetrien: Thanks! Glad you like our translation! :asuka_thumbsup:

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Sun May 30, 2010 10:28 am

Speaking about subs, how much time will it take to edit and create subs for 2.22? Just curious. I really want to know.

I've been really vocal about my appreciation to the EGF translators for making something for everybody. I admire the passion!

:w00:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun May 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Well, DVD subs for 2.22 are here: http://www.evageeks.org/ornette_tmp/evangelion_2.22_english.ass

And you can still use what Squall put together though it might not be 100% accurate yet... There are D-Raw subs in the meantime, you can get them here: http://www.mediafire.com/?zjkjqzcnxux

(By the way, I requested Fanime to use the DVD 2.22 subs...Let's see if they do that or don't even notice my request until too late. :lol: )

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Sun May 30, 2010 6:28 pm

I'm currently poking around the BD structure. Once 'finalised' subs are ready*, I'll see if I can work them into the existing BD image (i.e. replace existing the JP sub track with the ENG track) leaving the menus intact. If that's not feasible, then I'll make an AVCHD image with just the movie m2ts autoplaying with English subs.

Either way, I should be able to make a (not overly huge) xdelta file to distribute rather than the whole multi-GB file. What that means is, you take your existing BD, copy an image to your HDD, then apply the patch, and burn the resultant image to a new BD.

I'm not overly familiar with the BD playback structure, so I'm not sure how robust it is to having additional subtitle tracks rammed into an existing mastered disc. If I can only fit one track in, it'll be a strict speech translation-only track, with no song lyrics whatsoever. If it turns out the disc can accommodate multiple tracks without the menu system breaking, are there any requests for additional sub track variants? Bear in mind I have no way to reliably edit the menus themselves, so you'd have to cycle through them with the 'subtitles' button on your remote during playback.

*Or I get bored and transplant the official translation plus new scenes into some existing timed subs.

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Sun May 30, 2010 7:06 pm

That's pretty easy to do, I believe the BD structure is pretty identical to a dvd but I don't have a bd burner to test it out with, I do know a bunch of people that custom sub their blurays, and I can do dvd's with no problem.

Subs don't take up a tremendous amount of room so you should be fine, it won't break the menu structure at all, you just can't select them from the sub title menu, you just have to use your remote

Atm, i have my dvd pulled apart awaiting the finalized subs from squall, i was gonna use thora's but ran into some problems, so I'm just gonna wait, I have his last release all timed up right, it's just a matter of finding the missing lines and insert them in.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun May 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Hey, Squall (or someone else). Would you happen to have a copy of the 3xR .ass file for 1.11? I found a torrent but it's seedless. Figured I'd ask this here rather than a PM in case someone else needs or wants it.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Mon May 31, 2010 5:35 am

Thanks for the heads up SSD! btw, is it really 6GB in size? 2.22 BluRay?

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Mon May 31, 2010 8:38 pm

Happy memorial day!

http://3xr-ani.me/subs/Evangelion_2.22_-_You_Can_(Not)_Advance_[3xR][Blu-ray.1080p.H264.FLAC][_CRC_]-subs-BDFT.ass

Sorry it took so long.

View Original PostZapX wrote:Hey, Squall (or someone else). Would you happen to have a copy of the 3xR .ass file for 1.11? I found a torrent but it's seedless. Figured I'd ask this here rather than a PM in case someone else needs or wants it.

http://3xr-ani.me/subs/Evangelion_1.11_You_Are_(Not)_Alone_[3xR][480p.H264.AC3][3C190FC5]_Track3.ass

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon May 31, 2010 8:43 pm

Sweet! Thanks!

(And yeah, today's 2.22 showing at Fanime was the camrip subs (as in, the when the camrip subs had incorrect lines with * and ** on them, those were visible in the subtitles! )

...Thankfully my mistakes weren't as bad as I remembered, but some stuff was clearly wrong. :sigh: Why the hell couldn't Fanime fact-check before using something clearly outdated and without the new scenes translation? Jeez.

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:04 am

View Original Postsquall.leonhart wrote:Happy memorial day!

http://3xr-ani.me/subs/Evangelion_2.22_-_You_Can_(Not)_Advance_[3xR][Blu-ray.1080p.H264.FLAC][_CRC_]-subs-BDFT.ass

Sorry it took so long.

http://3xr-ani.me/subs/Evangelion_1.11_You_Are_(Not)_Alone_[3xR][480p.H264.AC3][3C190FC5]_Track3.ass

Damn it ! about time, some people have no consideration for others !
jk !

Thanks for your contribution squall ! :w00:

So what is the stuff in brackets that are not explanations ? older translation or more literal translation ?
Last edited by bladerj on Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ANATA BAKA !?

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:11 am

Those subtitles are amazing. Although I did notice one mistake and I hope you guys don't think of me as a jackass for pointing this out, but 'Acheron' is misspelled as 'Akron' during it's first mention around 1:55. Otherwise, wonderful job, I'm very grateful.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”