2.0 Translation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:58 pm

Squall: I didn't change anything YET, but I'm saying there are going to be changes according to what Reichu think is best (she told me what works/what doesn't since she's unable to change things herself).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:23 pm

Axell wrote:I'm assuming the video has to be named something specific for it to work right?

Correct. Use they camrip from TT. Check the file name in the BAT file.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:34 pm

I tried renaming the file but I can't seem to get it right

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Then you have the wrong file. That is all.

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Actually, true Eva fans want things to be as accurate as possible which is why the wiki pages need a quality check* before they're released as subtitles (*at Reichu's request). Besides, not all the original translators are around to help; only 3 or so people have had the time to help which is going to push things back. Lrn2patience.

@ Squall: The wiki subs will have some differences here & there (no CAPS for one thing) from your patch just fyi.

I'm all for accuracy, but squall seemed pretty confident when he said they were ready to go a few days back and then it just kept getting cock blocked.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:30 pm

That was before LiLi up and left.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:06 pm

SSD, I'd just like to voice my opinion on the current edits you are making to the Wiki.

The first thing I noticed was the English lines in the beginning are now translations of the Japanese subtitles and not direct English transcriptions. I realize that it is almost impossible to hear what is being said on the track, but it really isn't necessary to change them. It is essentially taking something in English, translating it back to Japanese, then going back to English. There is bound to be stuff missing.

Next I noticed the capitalizations. Again, unnecessary, but I can live with it. I guess I'm the only one who does that.

You also restored all the honorifics and suffices to everyone. I no longer believe that honorifics should be used in fansub translations and I'm angry that Funimation is now including them. I think every translator goes through a phase where "honorifics are a must" because it somehow detracts from the anime if they are removed. Seeing how international Evangelion is, I honestly think that we should reflect this internationalism. Even screens from 1.11 reflect an international naming convention. Also, this same screen reinforces my decision for the Toji > Touji conversion (which I noticed later on).

What really made me tilt my head was the sudden switch in some lines from "Unit-XX" to "Eva-XX". I listened to these lines and can clearly hear them say "X号機". In my opinion, to even constitute "Eva-XX" in the subs, the spoken line must at least be "エヴァX吾機".

There were some other legitimate retranslations and edits in the wiki, but the items I mentioned above kind of irked me. Please help me understand your reasoning behind these.

EDIT: Even 2.0 has international naming conventions clearly visible.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:08 pm

As I mentioned before, I'm including what Reichu wants to be in the subtitles. Please bring it up with her via email if there's something you're really against.

Thanks.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:26 pm

I don't see anything wrong with including honorifics. Native English speakers wouldn't use them, but translated English isn't the same as native English. The translation is less accurate, if ever so slightly so, without them.

As for the subs displaying the Engrish or translating the Japanese subs, I'm for translating the Japanese subs. It's not English to Japanese to English, it's their Japanese to English vs. our Japanese to English that makes way more sense. Though, for example, it's not technically what Kaji says, Kaji's horrible Engrish wouldn't make sense to anybody and, in my opinion, cannot be considered canon while still taking the film the least bit seriously.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:46 am

Wow.. I almost want to hate you for including the lyrics to the Bardiel scene. It only made it a lot sadder to watch. :(

Great work though, again.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

•      
  •      

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:53 am

Just watched it, great work everyone.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:19 am

Sub translations for 'English' portions: Pretty much a necessity. The 'English' speech is garbled, nonsensical, and barely even audible.
Honorifics: Entirely redundant. Appending honorifics is only of use to those who know what they mean (otherwise it's just meaningless clutter). And if you already know what they mean, you can just listen to the actual audio and hear them yourself. In the rare case where the use of a different honorific is necessary to understand a line (IIRC, there is not a single case of this in 2.0), the wording of the translation should reflect that.

DEMOLITION D+
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby DEMOLITION D+ » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:21 pm

Just one thing.

Squall, or whoever is to blame: Does Asuka REALLY 100% call Rei the "Fucking favorite" in the elevator scene? Or could this translation also be taken as something else? Because I really don't see Asuka saying "Fucking" anything...
The Fate of Destruction, is Also the Joy of Rebirth

Kaji has cute melons.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:18 pm

I'll take responsibility for that edit. In my opinion, it sounds much better than "You're the favorite to boot" or "Even though you're the favorite". Tecnically, she says only two words on the track, so I tried to make it as concise as possible while still maintaining her rage. I realize "Fuck" is a very strong word, but it flows better with a double "eff" sound.

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:00 am

damn favorite might suffice, but i gave up trying to make the patch work so I haven't seen it

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:50 am

My sincerest thanks to the people who made translating Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance.
Squall, LiLi, Reichu, SSD, and to everybody who contributed in order to make this possible.
As we say in our native tongue,
Maraming Salamat!

EDIT: I'm having trouble with my camrip, mine came from veoh. Where can I get the one which would work for your subs? Thanks.

EDIT2: It's cool now. Phew!

The Invincible Shinji
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby The Invincible Shinji » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:47 pm

I want to thank all of you for your hard work. Without all of you this wouldn't have been possible and with my birthday a week off this is a great birthday present, congratulations all of you. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm an A/S shipper and Soryu and Shikinami are one in the same.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:06 pm

Alright it's working for me. Pretty cool. I'm watching it now. I'm watching it now. Kinda makes me wish I didn't give in and watch the version with the engrish subs. "Keep going Shinji! I laughed! I laughed!"
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Seph
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seph » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:13 am

Thank you for translating this, really, thank you!

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Is it possible to get the the sub file and not the patch?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”