2.0 Translation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:28 pm

That's sad Reichu, we'll be missing you for quite some time. Hope somebody can do the wiki page.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:31 am

Well, I have like 5-6 lines that need to get TL CHECK before I'll be "totally" done with a script.

It's late though. I'll post them for help when I get back from work tomorrow.

Translation
TL Check
Song TL
Sign TL {What I could see that needed it}
Timing
Fine Timing
Typesetting
Karaoke {Maybe I'll wait for Blu-Ray}
Encode/Mux

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:12 am

@squall: In advance, I'd like to thank you for the work. Cheers!

:ritsuko_mug:

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:48 am

@squall: Gokurousama! :emogendo:
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby CtHuLhU » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:35 am

-erased-
Last edited by CtHuLhU on Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:35 pm

If I could get someone who knows more than me to look these lines over, I would greatly appreciate it.

Dialogue 0,01202.16,01204.65,eva-2,Asuka,0000,0000,0000,,It's a shame you can't pilot EVA no matter how you try.{TL CHECK}{エヴァで戦えなかったことを恥とも思わないなんて}

Dialogue 0,01213.42,01217.15,eva-2,Kaji,0000,0000,0000,,In regards to the Third Angel and EVA Unit-05, we are dealing with it as planned{Could be better}{懸案の第三使徒とエヴァ5号機は予定通り処理しました}

Dialogue 0,02847.24,02850.40,eva-2,Aoba,0000,0000,0000,,It is impossible for EVA to sortie into the atmosphere.{TL CHECK}{いくらエヴァといったって空が飛べるわけではないですし}
Dialogue 0,02850.65,02854.27,eva-2,Tech,0000,0000,0000,,Due to the interference in space, it's impossible to choose an attack point.{TL CHECK}{空間のゆがみがひどく、あらゆるポイントからの狙撃も不可能です}
Dialogue 0,02854.53,02857.81,eva-2,Hyuga,0000,0000,0000,,The target is so high, we cannot possibly reach it.{TL CHECK}{こんなベラボウな相手じゃ、手の打ちようがありませんよ}

Dialogue 0,03236.30,03238.22,eva-2,Aoba,0000,0000,0000,,Recalculated point of impact, second key!{TL CHECK}{落下予想地点、修正フタマル}

Dialogue 0,04406.97,04413.32,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,Maybe. But the number of EVAs a country may posses is still limited to three, even if they are damaged.{TL CHECK}{そうよねー。一国のエヴァ保有数を3体までに制限されると、稼働機体の余裕ないもの}

Dialogue 0,04428.68,04433.87,eva-2,Ritsuko,0000,0000,0000,,The Europeans and Russians are demanding equality from Asia, even though they lost Unit-05.{TL CHECK}{おまけに5号機を失ったユーロとロシアがアジアを巻き込んであれこれ主張してるみたいだし}

Dialogue 0,05835.76,05839.18,eva-2,Kaji,0000,0000,0000,,Do you think mankind would trust the EVA like that?{TL CHECK}{人間だからあのエヴァを任せておけるってことか?}

Dialogue 0,05918.83,05922.30,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,I learned many things then. Damn burden.{TL CHECK}{いろんなことを知ったし、背負ってしまった}

Dialogue 0,10138.40,10142.27,eva-2,Asuka,0000,0000,0000,,Unit-03, if you like me too, I'll paint you red.{TL CHECK}{私が気に入ったら赤く塗り替えてよね}

Dialogue 0,10229.65,10231.63,eva-2,Tech,0000,0000,0000,,Relieving current department supervisor.{TL CHECK}{現在主管制部に移動中}

Dialogue 0,13418.22,13419.88,eva-2,Misato,0000,0000,0000,,Lock fixed, release it all!{TL CHECK}{固定ロック、全部はずして!}{Release all fixed locks(??)}

Okay, so I had twice as many as I thought... /sigh.
Last edited by squall.leonhart on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

DEMOLITION D+
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby DEMOLITION D+ » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:27 pm

So wait, what's going on guys? Is Squall putting subs together right now?
The Fate of Destruction, is Also the Joy of Rebirth

Kaji has cute melons.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:30 pm

DEMOLITION D+ wrote:So wait, what's going on guys? Is Squall putting subs together right now?

They are already together. I just need someone to check those translations.

Translation
TL Check
Song TL
Sign TL {What I could see that needed it}
English Editing
Timing
Fine Timing
Typesetting
Quality Check
Karaoke {Maybe I'll wait for Blu-Ray}
Encode/Mux
Last edited by squall.leonhart on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:32 pm

I think I'll be able to take a better look at those tomorrow, squall. Maybe I can help with some of them.

You translated the whole movie on your lonesome? \0/
Last edited by LiLi on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:33 pm

LiLi wrote:I think I'll be able to take a look at those tomorrow, squall. Maybe I can help with some of them.

I would greatly appreciate that. Get back to me when you can.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:42 pm

LiLi wrote:You translated the whole movie on your lonesome? \0/

Gha, ninja edit....

No, I used translations that we made in here. Most are from you and Reichu with a couple from SSD. I translated a couple of scenes because I didn't really feel like yours conveyed the same meanings. Some lines were missing entirely.

All lines have been edited though because each person used a different writing and grammar style. I tried to maintain a more emotional feel for each line though because this film really "affected" me. Asuka, for instance, is more tsundere in this film than in the TV series and I wanted her speech to reflect that.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:44 pm

:ninja:

Erm... I hate to be a party pooper squall, but have you checked our policy on the whole using-these-translations-for-subs deal? ^^;;;

:ninja: edit
I'm afraid I can't exactly help you in going against the policy I, errrm, contributed in setting up... ^^;
Last edited by LiLi on Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:48 pm

LiLi wrote:...Likewise...

Erm... I hate to be a party pooper squall, but have you checked our policy on the whole using-these-translations-for-subs deal? ^^;;;

I will not distro without consent from the following:

LiLi
Reichu
SailorStarDust
RockMan_Balls
CZR

If I have consent from each person who contributed to a translation, I will place them in a publicly accessible area (my website, TT, or this forum) under the NERV fansub group tag as we have done with 1.0.

EDIT: I am hoping to go for "all or none" vote here. I lost track of who translated what. I hope to have everyones' consent by the time a Blu-Ray streetdate is announced.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:33 am

squall: Before I consent... have you made any use of those Wiki pages I threw together? There is a bit of original work there (i.e. not to be found in this thread), and I'd hate to see it simply lost on account of nobody wanting to finish that particular job.

(Speaking of which: People round here can bother to each put together a custom version of the SRT on their own -- but put a copy online that theoretically anyone can edit, and folks are allergic? What's up with that?)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:42 am

Sorry I didn't get to look at the translations yesterday. Things have been a bit hectic IRL.

squall.leonhart wrote:If I have consent from each person who contributed to a translation, I will place them in a publicly accessible area (my website, TT, or this forum) under the NERV fansub group tag as we have done with 1.0.

EDIT: I am hoping to go for "all or none" vote here. I lost track of who translated what. I hope to have everyones' consent by the time a Blu-Ray streetdate is announced.

Just checking - would you be distributing the srt. file only, timed on the blu-ray? (I know I must sound like a broken record, but I'm allergic to the very idea of distributing the video rip...)

I wasn't here when you guys did 1.0 so I don't really know how you guys distributed that. :blush:

Reichu wrote:squall: Before I consent... have you made any use of those Wiki pages I threw together? There is a bit of original work there (i.e. not to be found in this thread), and I'd hate to see it simply lost on account of nobody wanting to finish that particular job.

Seconded... It would have been nice to have a chance to finish the work on the wiki and get to discuss the variations together too, I think...

Also... would it be correct to suppose we'd get to look at the end result before giving consent?

:EDIT: Reichuu... your avie... JUST REMINDED ME I HAVE A MSc THESIS TO WRITE! ;_;

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:14 am

If you made personal edits to the script, just upload it already.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:15 am

Reichu: For what it's worth, I've been & will continue to work on the grayed out bits of those subtitle wiki pages. ...Could you do a double-check of that subtitle project thing before you leave?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:15 pm

I have taken a look at the wiki page. I am a little hesitant about not having a "translator" tag in the there. The wiki also suffers from severe timing errors including entire lines that have not been translated at all. I may sound like a whistler blower complaining about these faults and failing to do something about it, but I have no idea how to edit a wiki page. I apologize. I used portions of the Japanese->Spanish->Engrish->English (damn that's /effort to type) wiki script as a TL Check.

Two years ago, when the zero-raws camrip became available online, I originally finalized the .ASS script and posted it on the forums here before leaving for a while. A few days later, a NERV fansub became available on TT that included a re-encoded video file with my unaltered script. I never bothered to find out who did it though.

My intention for distribution at this moment is an .MKV file that simply muxes the subs with the full length camrip. I also intend to create an Xdelta3 patch that will convert an already downloaded camrip file to one with subs.

A Blu-ray release is pending. Once it is release, I intend, with permission, to retime the subs to coincide with the full length Blu-ray raw and add any subs that were missed such as the technobabble during the Sahaquiel fight scene. With a 99% chance of Khara including the entire recording script, as they have with 1.X, I would then read through the recording script and the fan transcript to correct any errors that were made. The Blu-ray version of that script would only be distributed in a full .MKV file.

I feel I should bring this up even if some of you would rather deny it and/or shun me for it. There are some people that are taking your translations and pasting them over CZR's script. These people, whether they use it for personal use or intend to distribute it, probably have no experience in fansubbing.

My whole intention is to provide the community here at EvaGeeks.Org with the best translation possible in the best way I can.

P.S.: If I had access to and knowledge of how to edit the Wiki, I would be more than willing to transfer them over.

trueno_twentyone
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby trueno_twentyone » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:10 pm

squall.leonhart wrote:A Blu-ray release is pending. Once it is release, I intend, with permission, to retime the subs to coincide with the full length Blu-ray raw and add any subs that were missed such as the technobabble during the Sahaquiel fight scene. With a 99% chance of Khara including the entire recording script, as they have with 1.X, I would then read through the recording script and the fan transcript to correct any errors that were made. The Blu-ray version of that script would only be distributed in a full .MKV file.

I'll be waiting for that one squall, lovin' your work with 1.11!

squall.leonhart wrote:My whole intention is to provide the community here at EvaGeeks.Org with the best translation possible in the best way I can.

This made me move to tears. I am grateful to be part of this great community. Thanks for the hard work, not only to squall, but to those who makes these things happen.
Arigatou guzaimasu!

:ritsuko_mug:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:52 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:...Could you do a double-check of that subtitle project thing before you leave?

The what?

@squall: Editing the Wiki requires a Wiki account. You just have to PM a sysop for one (and hope they don't get sidetracked). Ornette, Ursus, thewayneiac... I'd say me, but I can't hang out much longer.

The parts of the Wiki script in grey you can ignore, since that's all stand-in, i.e. not processed by me at all. (Ignore the entire finale, too.) I provided translator credits at the beginning (timed crudely to show up during the opening titles); trying to ascribe translators line by line would be obnoxious and time-consuming, least of all because I edited liberally as I went along.

The point of the Wiki page, to reiterate what's been stated before, was to attempt to pool together people's resources -- stop folks from all working on their own sub files and concentrate on ONE. Apparently it didn't work very well. I kept telling people I needed help and that getting a Wiki account was easy (people needed to just ask for one), but nobody did. Aside from the usual suspects (Ornette, SSD), there wasn't a single offer for help. I was kind of disappointed, so I never finished up and I channeled my angst into masturbatory fantasies of giant mother-gods beating the everliving shit out of each other.

I'd be more comfortable with things if the two projects were merged together. You mentioned something about transferring the subs over, but I'm not sure how awkward it would be to fuse your work with the "EvaGeeks Subs" I started.

(Editing the Wiki is pretty easy, BTW. These particular pages have a "monkey see, monkey do" level of difficulty.)
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”