2.0 Translation Thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
RockManBalls
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby RockManBalls » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:22 am

Reichu wrote:Didn't you call dibs on the whole thing a while back? :tongue:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:I thought this was the case myself. :?: (I REALLY liked RMB's work with the 1.0/.11 subs, btw.)

Well, true... I wasn't picturing a camrip though. Besides, I thought it was now some kind of group project or something.

And I don't know any fansubbers. I provided my subtitles to this forum because I wanted some for my BD copy of 1.11, and found other subtitles lacking. I'm usually not that anal when it comes to anime, but Evangelion's different.

EDIT: Ornette scared me, so I no longer want to be associated with you criminals.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:39 am

RockManBalls wrote:Ornette scared me, so I no longer want to be associated with you criminals.

:((((((((((

I'm gonna do the mysterioso Seele conference scene where they mention "False God" and "True Evangelion" and blah blah blah. Mine! ...later today.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:08 am

Thinking about licensing on a sub (or translation which WILL end up in subs) made by fans for fans... AS IN FANSUB??? GTFO Now. Thanks.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:57 am

I don't think you guys understand. The way copyright law is in the U.S., every piece of material that you publish (as in, on here, which is hosted in the U.S.) automatically falls under your copyright. We aren't translating the script of the movie, we're translating whatever 2chan is putting up on that wiki (and hoping it's close to the movie). Ideas can't be copyrighted, only patented. The copyright license refers only to the literal work -- the text itself. Whether or not a translation counts as a derivative work is beyond my knowledge, but in the case that it does then we'll need the permission of whoever owns that 2chan transcription. As far as whether the transcript is infringing on Khara's copyright, that's the concern of the owner of the wiki that's publishing it. There are so many links in this chan that the actual legality becomes extremely ambiguous (putting out an aural work, as Studio Khara -> transcribing what one hears in the work, as 2chan -> translating what was transcribed, as us). In any case, we are the weakest link as far as copyright infringement goes, with 2chan being the strongest. If Studio Khara or Funimation send evageeks.org and command-q.org a cease and desist, I'm sure both sites will gladly remove the offending material.

The point being that simply posting some translations doesn't make it public domain, but rather the opposite. A copyright license must be included (there is no such thing as "public domain" for material like this, only licenses which approximate public domain). Creative Commons was the best one to use, as far as my knowledge of licensing extends, due to its proximity to public domain. The specific one mentioned above is desirable in this case, as it:
Permits free use
Permits modification
Restricts commercial use*
Requires sharing of modifications
Requires attribution to the project

*Again, common for fan translations, due to the way it weakens potential liabilities.

If anyone has suggestions for a better license, please share them. But the fact is that, being published in the U.S. (evageeks.org and command-q.org), it must be licensed or else the full copyright is retained by the original publishers (which is not desirable legally nor for anyone who wants to get subs). This is a concern for both the owner of this site, as well as me, since I own the other site involved.

That said, I just finished the movie, and I'm blown away.

Edit: The above is irrelevant if the translation or transcriptions don't constitute original works in any way. In that case, yes, we're infringing Studio Khara's copyright to the dialogue and there's no need for a license, since anyone publishing/distributing it is committing infringement. But I'm unconvinced neither constitute an original work, or at the very least a derivative work. Consider someone taking down something he hears, and putting it into Google Translate. Are the individual or Google committing copyright infringement? I'm pretty sure Google isn't, but the individual may be. Regardless, we're the role of Google in that analogy.
Edit2: Further, if the individual in the above example is infringing, all lyrics sites would be illegal. In fact, here's a fully comparable analogy:

Utada Hikaru puts out a song, say, Beautiful World. A Japanese lyrics site publishes the lyrics by ear. An English lyrics site posts a translation. Someone downloads a microphone recording of the song, and reads the translation.

In this case, Utada Hikaru is Studio Khara. The Japanese lyric site is 2chan's wiki. The English lyrics site is roe2wade. The person is the same, someone gets the cam somewhere, and reads/downloads our translation.

I'm pretty sure the only one committing infringement in this case is the person downloading the cam. As for whether the English lyrics need a license, I'm not sure. They either constitute an original work, or a derivative work. The former requires a license as explained above. The latter I'm not sure about, but I'll look into it.

Edit3: lol, it's right here in the U.S. legal definition of "derivative work"
A “derivative work” is a work based upon one or more preexisting works, such as a translation, musical arrangement, dramatization, fictionalization, motion picture version, sound recording, art reproduction, abridgment, condensation, or any other form in which a work may be recast, transformed, or adapted. A work consisting of editorial revisions, annotations, elaborations, or other modifications which, as a whole, represent an original work of authorship, is a “derivative work”.

The copyright in a compilation or derivative work extends only to the material contributed by the author of such work, as distinguished from the preexisting material employed in the work, and does not imply any exclusive right in the preexisting material. The copyright in such work is independent of, and does not affect or enlarge the scope, duration, ownership, or subsistence of, any copyright protection in the preexisting material.

So the translation is a derivative work needing its own copyright license, which does not impinge on Khara's license. I'm going to dump relevant info as I learn it. Here's a quote pertaining to a Supreme Court decision about the situation:
I believe the answer to the question of justification turns primarily on whether, and to what extent, the challenged use is transformative. The use must be productive and must employ the quoted matter in a different manner or for a different purpose from the original. ...[If] the secondary use adds value to the original--if the quoted matter is used as raw material, transformed in the creation of new information, new aesthetics, new insights and understandings--this is the very type of activity that the fair use doctrine intends to protect for the enrichment of society.

Transformative uses may include criticizing the quoted work, exposing the character of the original author, proving a fact, or summarizing an idea argued in the original in order to defend or rebut it. They also may include parody, symbolism, aesthetic declarations, and innumerable other uses.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformativeness

Unfortunately, there have been no legal cases regarding distributing only subtitles for a fansub -- in every case thus far, the fansubbers were distributing a full copy of the work, which is obviously infringement. Distributing only subtitles would appear to fall under the concept of transformativeness, but I'm not positive yet.

Edit4: Alright, here's the gist.

Assuming that the 2chan transcript is infringing on Studio Khara's copyright (it may not be, but I'm not concerned about that), our translation of this transcript falls under a transformative work, for the following reasons:

1. It is being translated into English, and no English translation exists.
2. It is being annotated and commented on.

Both of these are very important in establishing the work as transformative. Another key point is that it is not being sold for profit or otherwise used commercially. Since I don't even ever intend to include ads on the roe2 site, we are way out of the range of commercial distribution of the work. This is likewise very important, but only in defense of the fair use. Regardless, the work is considered transformative and exempt.

The site specifically states that the project will halt when the official subtitles become available at the German film festival. This puts the project well into the legal safe-zone. In fact, if no one translating for the project reads the official subtitles, we will be able to continue translating (if we're not done by then).

tl;dr IT'S FINE. But we do need a license for the work, preferably Creative Commons or GNU Free Document. GNU Free Document is not ideal as it implicitly allows commercial use.

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:47 am

RockManBalls wrote:EDIT: Ornette scared me, so I no longer want to be associated with you criminals.

If you're serious, I'll have to remove the translations you've contributed so far (unless you license them to the project). Let me know. But see my above post for info as to why what we're doing is not illegal. If it were, this would be as well (it's not).

Ornette wrote:when Funi licenses 2.0 and they do an English translation for the DVD release, and it just happens to be fairly close to this translation, then they'd have to give you attribution otherwise they would be liable.

Unless they viewed our translation and directly incorporated it word-for-word into theirs, no. And if we use a CC license that allows commercial use and no attribution, there'd be no issue even if they copied our entire thing. The reason I want to use a non-commercial license is, again, because this strengthens the fair use claim considerably. As far as attribution, it's not a huge deal, but I'm not keen on the idea of some subbing group downloading our subtitle file, muxing it into the movie, and then posting it as their own translation. I'd like the project and everyone involved to get the credit they deserve. Share-alike is nonessential as well, but it'd be nice if someone corrected our translation that they share it back with us.

Hopefully the licensing drama is put to bed now and I can get back to real work on the project, yeah?

bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby bladerj » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:27 pm

can someone translate the words on Asuka figure ,please? http://www.kaiyodo.co.jp/furoku/index.html

if it wasnt in flash i'd do it myself.....sorry to bother ?
ANATA BAKA !?

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:41 pm

Alright, the project is undergoing some changes.

First off, a name change. roe2wade was a pun on roe2cam -- whenever I was trying to remember the filename to tab complete in my terminal, I'd think of Roe V. Wade (not realizing, at the time, the obvious Rebuild Of Evangelion 2 abbreviation). I backronymed this into roe2wade. Since roe2cam is irrelevant now, and the association with abortion jokes makes me cringe, I wanted to change it. I also thought, if the project goes anywhere, maybe we'll do this for Q and Final, too? So best not to depend on 2.0 in the name. So I was left with "Rebuild of Evangelion, English translation/annotation/interpretation". Rebuild: English Interpretation, or Rebuild of Evangelion: Interpreted. That produces a nice acronym, eh? So I'm figuring on calling the whole thing Rei.

Second, and I've been promising/contemplating this for awhile: I'm going to revive the deaded command-Q site and incorporate Rei into it. This is mostly out of need for a blog, as roechan both went nowhere and doesn't provide a convenient way to post news. I'll do this only after the coding for Rei is complete and the translation process is self-sustaining, because it's going to require a bit of attention from me to pull off. command-Q had some great stuff that will complement Rei well, including forums and a wiki, aside from the blog. roechan will simply merge into commandchan, though there isn't much to merge.

So I guess that is the big news. The translation pages themselves are going to have some really cool features to help everyone, but I'll post about that when it's done.

So, to task, I guess.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:57 pm

RockManBalls wrote:EDIT: Ornette scared me, so I no longer want to be associated with you criminals.

I don't want to be a criminaaaaal! :(

Just came back home... a bit confused/anxious about this whole deal, will try to wrap my mind around it... and wait for further input from all parties...

PS: Will be MIA during the week-end, back on Monday.

EDIT: Rei = <3 :rei_hissyfit: :rei_hissyfit: :rei_hissyfit:
Last edited by LiLi on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Tab wrote:I don't think you guys understand. The way copyright law is in the U.S., every piece of material that you publish (as in, on here, which is hosted in the U.S.) automatically falls under your copyright.

... no it doesn't. Otherwise studios wouldn't be able to so easily shoot down AMVs and 5 Second Movies that fans created with their own effort for no profit.

It's just as wrong as fansubbers who tag their videos with "Not For Sale on eBay" or whatever. They're in absolutely no position to say people can't rip them off when the nature of fansubs breaks the law to begin with.

The current definition of "Fair Use" is probably the most ambiguous shit since EoE and we could argue over its specific implications all day, but it doesn't apply to this case. You're trying to push across this concept that an unauthorized translation of someone else's copyrighted script automatically has legal protection because you put your own work into it, and this is completely wrong by any definition.
Last edited by I Accidentally Dracula on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:08 pm

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:... no it doesn't. Otherwise studios wouldn't be able to so easily shoot down AMVs and 5 Second Movies that fans created with their own effort for no profit.

It's just as wrong as fansubbers who tag their videos with "Not For Sale on eBay" or whatever. They're in absolutely no position to say people can't rip them off when the nature of fansubs breaks the law to begin with.

Read my post above and the relevant articles on copyright law. I've nothing further to say on the issue as I've established the legality of the project and the need for an independent, preferably liberal and public-domain approximating license.

Edit: If you don't believe me about the specific matter of an individual's original work automatically falling under their copyright, I'll reproduce the relevant bit.
In all countries where the Berne Convention standards apply, copyright is automatic, and need not be obtained through official registration with any government office. Once an idea has been reduced to tangible form, for example by securing it in a fixed medium (such as a drawing, sheet music, photograph, a videotape, or a computer file), the copyright holder is entitled to enforce his or her exclusive rights.

Read the rest of the post for why this is a transformative (original) work and the above applies.

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:14 pm

LiLi wrote:I don't want to be a criminaaaaal! :(

Just came back home... a bit confused/anxious about this whole deal, will try to wrap my mind around it... and wait for further input from all parties...

You've nothing to worry about. The most directly relevant legal quote is as follows:
if the quoted matter is used as raw material, transformed in the creation of new information, new aesthetics, new insights and understandings--this is the very type of activity that the fair use doctrine intends to protect for the enrichment of society.

I don't think anyone would argue that that is precisely what we are doing.

Finally, provided you agree to the project's license, I'm the only one who would be liable for any infringement (but we're not infringing anything). No individual translator would ever be involved -- just me for reproducing the translation on my site.
Last edited by Tab on Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:25 pm

Ach, don't think the people at the wikiweva are so afraid of what they're doing. They did the transcript of Jyo's dialogues too. Haven't seen (although it's been a long time since I seriously tried to read that sire) anything about copyright or shit on their part.

Anyways, no. Khara ain't coming to your door claiming royalties...

Don't think you should get paranoid over these legalities and forget what it's all about.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Tab
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Tab » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:28 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Ach, don't think the people at the wikiweva are so afraid of what they're doing. They did the transcript of Jyo's dialogues too. Haven't seen (although it's been a long time since I seriously tried to read that sire) anything about copyright or shit on their part.

Anyways, no. Khara ain't coming to your door claiming royalties...

Don't think you should get paranoid over these legalities and forget what it's all about.

Really I'm not concerned at all. Our work's not infringing as far as I can tell, and even if it were I really don't think Khara would give a damn. I only posted the thing about licensing that kicked this shitstorm off because, legally, I need the people who are posting translations to agree, "Hey, this is for the project". Otherwise I can't even technically post their translations on the website. And the project definitely needs a "free as in freedom" license, so that anyone can download it and share it. As above, if no license is stated, the full copyright is retained by the project and I don't want that -- I want anyone to be able to use this translation.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:49 pm

RockManBalls wrote:Kaji: My, my, that wasn't an easy job. The pending problem of the Third Angel and Eva-5 has been dealt with as planned. We've insisted it was an accident. Bethania Base's Marduk project is completely held up. Everything's going according to your scenario. Anyway, about the newest data from Seele...

Having a problem with an independent third party with an imprisoned Angel and an unchecked working Evangelion unit that deviate from your intricate plans? Stage an escape, blow them both up, and use the evidence to turn it into an accident.

oh Kaji you sly bastard.

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:13 pm

Someone eventually subbed the 1.0 cam, did they get in trouble or something? The paranoia posts are even getting me worried lol.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:14 pm

4 points of the Berne Convention wrote:National treatment: Under Berne, an author's rights are respected in
another country as though the author were a national (citizen) of that
country (Art. 5(1)). For example, works by U.S. authors are protected by
French copyright in France, and vice versa, because both the U.S. and
France are signatories to Berne.

Preclusion of formalities: Under Berne, copyright cannot be dependent on
formalities such as registration or copyright notice (Art. 5(2)).
However, as noted in sections 2.5 and 2.7, this provision apparently does
not prevent a member nation from taking adherence to formalities into
account when determining what remedies apply.

Minimum terms of protection: Under Berne, the minimum duration for
copyright protection is the life of the author plus 50 years (Art. 7(1)).
Signatory nations may have provide longer durations if they so choose.

Minimum exclusive rights: Under Berne, a nation must provide for
protection of six rights: translation (Art. 8(1)), reproduction (Art.
9(1)), public performance (Art. 11(1), and Art. 11ter), adaptation (Art.
12), paternity (Art. 6bis(1)) and integrity (Art. 6bis(1)). In certain
of these areas, U.S. copyright law does not quite align with Berne. For
example, Berne requires that the paternity and integrity rights endure
for the same term as the other rights (Art. 6bis(2)), while in the U.S.,
those rights terminate at the death of the author (17 U.S.C. 106A(e)).
The two have been reconciled by the premise that other sources of federal
law, such as trademark, combined with the trademark, unfair competition,
and defamation laws of the individual states, satisfy these requirements.

So the transscript in Japanese, is already copyrighted with U.S. laws applicable. Translation rights are retained. If we translate it, that translation is still copyright under the original holder, therefore we can't license it as if it was our own original work.

International Copyright Law states that we aren't allowed to translate a given work, but we can declare fair use. But an example of fair use is translating an excerpt in order to make a point. Note how #3 of the fair use doctrine takes into account the portion used in relation to the whole, but... we'd be using the whole. So we'd have a hard time declaring that this is fair use.

I'm not saying we'll get in trouble for translating it or anything, nobody's going to come after anyone for translating a fan-made transcript. But in order to put a license on the translation, we have to already have owned the rights to the work. I'm not a lawyer, nor am I that versed in copyright law, and I'm sure there's enough fuzzy edges here in order to justify the rights to the collective translation, but why would you push it? Without a license, it's still free and anyone can download a sub stream and view it with whatever future media. But if you license it, that's essentially saying "OK I want this to be legal that we own this", which is something that doesn't quite sit right with me somehow. For as long as I've known, fan translations of works have been illegal, not that anyone has ever really been persecuted for it, but I've never heard of a license being applied to a fan translation.

Again, let me reiterate that I'm not saying there shouldn't be a translation nor that anyone's going to get in trouble for it, just that it doesn't make sense to me for applying a license to it.

Barong
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Barong » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:17 pm

Just do it hidden, Carmen Sandiegeo style.
and he who forgets will be destined to remember

OKdesuKA
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby OKdesuKA » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Oh that's what this was about? Why on earth would you want to license it? Might as well throw a huge red target on your back.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:27 pm

OKdesuKA wrote:Someone eventually subbed the 1.0 cam, did they get in trouble or something? The paranoia posts are even getting me worried lol.

More likely than not, Khara will do nothing about a random softsub script and just attack the problem at its source (i.e. actual camrip files).

Tab just seems to have this general disconnect on the concept of just because a copyright owner will tolerate you committing certain infractions on their property, you're automatically in the legal clear, have full creative control, and the possibility of the owner slitting your throat doesn't exist.

Not sure how he developed such a naive idea, especially after he admitted Khara/Gainax could slap him with a C&D if they wanted to. It's weird.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:36 pm

So, I guess I'm translating an excerpt in order to make a point (fair use? ;)). A bit rushed cause I'm really tired...

The point being... notice the 'subtle' change deviating from NGE? :)
...Also, because I really like these two together in this scene... ;)

加持、リツコ、ミサト

Kaji, Ritsuko, Misato

加持「少し痩せたかな、リッちゃん」

K: Did you lose a little weight, Ricchan?

リツコ「残念、1570gプラスよ」

R: Unfortunately, I gained 1570 g.

加持「肉眼で確認したいな」

K: I want to confirm that with my own eyes...

リツコ「良いけど、この部屋監視されてるわよ」

R: That's OK, but this room is under surveillance.

加持「ノープロブレム、すでにダミー画像が走ってる」

K: No problem. Dummy pictures are already running...

リツコ「相変わらず用意周到ね」

R: As thoroughly prepared as ever, huh?

加持「負け戦が嫌いなだけさ」

K: I just hate losing battles...

リツコ「でも負けね」

R: But you lose.

加持「ん?」

K: Eh?

♪BGM『2EM06_KK_B16』

リツコ「こわぁーいお姉さんが見てるもの」

R: A scary young lady is watching us.

リツコ「リョウちゃん、お久し振り」

R: Ryou-chan, it's been a while.

加持「やっ!しばらく」

K: Hi! It's been a long time.

ミサト「なんであんたがここにいるのよ!ユーロ担当でしょ」

M: Why are you here?! You're in charge of Euro(pe), right?!

加持「特命でね。しばらくは本部付きさ。また3人で連めるな、学生の時みたいに」

K: It's a mission. I'll be with the headquarters for a while. We can hang out together again, the three of us, just like when we were students.

ミサト「昔に返る気なんて無いわよぉ!!私はリツコに用があっただけなの!
   アスカの件、人事部に話通しておいたから!じゃ!!」

M: I have no intention of going back to the old times! I just had some business with Ritsuko! I transmitted Asuka's case to the personnel department. Bye!

リツコ「ミサト、明らさまな嫉妬ね。リョウちゃん、勝算はあるわよ」

R: Misato is obviously jealous. You do have a chance.

加持「さて?どうかなぁ?」

K: Well... I wonder about that...

Hint: No bad angsty love for Ricchan this time around...?
Last edited by LiLi on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”