How are you liking Rebuild so far? (ITT We tag Spoilers)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Shackel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shackel » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:42 am

That was both out of context and/or due to a grammatical error.

I meant to say "It made it worse than the series when it came to the Unit 03 death", and by that, I meant the damage.
Don't you hate it when people have unimaginative signatures?

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:47 pm

Shackel wrote:I meant to say "It made it worse than the series when it came to the Unit 03 death", and by that, I meant the damage.

So basically you're saying that it was a change for the better because the TV version used a throwaway character, whereas the movie streamlined the event by rewriting it to directly involve a main character people will actually care about.

I like this concept. I really wish I could have enjoyed 2.0 for it. I probably would have tolerated all of the "lol Eva limiter laws / Unit-specific pilots / synchronization / whatever doesn't work that way" bullshit if it actually happened this way.

The problem is, this reasoning completely falls apart the moment you realize tossing in a new main character to fill in for the old character isn't streamlining or revising the incident at all, but distracts from it and effectively puts it back where it started (if not making it worse from a storytelling perspective). Especially when you can tell the rewrite was done for the sole purpose of creating a vacant pre-set role for the new character, causing all of the aforementioned plot holes involved with the change to become so much more evident. In this case, you're not making the event more significant to the core cast. You're just pushing the pre-existing character back into the throwaway cast.

Anno wrote:We realize that we are creating something that will be better than the last series.

Uhhh, pretentious much?

"We're so awesome that you HAVE to like this! If you don't like it, **** you!"

Shackel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shackel » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:17 pm

Uhhh, pretentious much?

"We're so awesome that you HAVE to like this! If you don't like it, **** you!"

He did this with EoE, you silly. :3
Last edited by Shackel on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:08 pm

... Death is more or less a straight compilation movie. What was he even talking about?

Oh and people have--surprise--subjective opinions of EoE.

Shackel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shackel » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:51 pm

I always thought EoE was both a "TAKE THAT" to the fans, and a "TAKE THAT" to the employees, who APPARENTLY needed a few more "happier" animes to cheer them up.

I need to get a job of writing about/voicing a depressed teen so I can just get another job.

(I can see how DRAWING and ANIMATING this stuff would depress, and possibly disgust someone, though.)

Hoover 0818
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hoover 0818 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:38 pm

I think it was only a matter of time until Anno became pretentious. I mean, creating Evangelion gave him fame, and it would only be a matter of time until it happened, so nothing new there...
You know you are an evangelion fanatic when you learn all of the words to "A Cruel Angel's Thesis" in both Japanese and English.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:09 am

Damn.

I kind of want to hear about an Anno version of that one Tomino rumor, where Anno smashes some kid's Eva Revoltech figure during an autograph signing and goes "That is your new Evangelion."

Hoover 0818
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hoover 0818 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:27 pm

O_o
You know you are an evangelion fanatic when you learn all of the words to "A Cruel Angel's Thesis" in both Japanese and English.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:11 pm

I suppose http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/tenshousouhazan/1247518755426.jpg would be relevant in this respect, as well.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:20 pm

time for some more TOPIC

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:51 pm

Discussing a director's ego destroying a once cherished creation isn't really all that off-topic to Rebuild reactions IMO.

But okay.

I suddenly feel the need to clarify my "me hate Mari" argument. I'll often come up a defense that can be paraphrased as "well you haven't actually watched the movie completely yet, so you don't know enough about her relation to Rebuild to judge her", and that doesn't really cut it
SPOILER: Show
... because the entirety of Japan that DID see the movie is also included in this logic. Nobody knows anything about her background. Nothing shows how she's about the parachute onto the roof of the school in the middle of the day with complete invisibility to Nerv, or how she's able to break into the hangar and steal EVA-02 like she's at a candy store. Nothing about her is properly explained or even foreshadowed. The writers basically had her do a bunch of eyecandy bullcrap before leaving themselves two years to maybe pull the threads of a justification to her 2.0 character together after the fact. That's just terrible development, and the complete opposite to the building story that Evangelion used to be.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:07 pm

Better that than being spoonfed info just for the sake of having info. We get as much background info on her as we do Kaworu, who has had fewer scenes than she has in both movies. And for the record, I felt the movie worked perfectly fine without being spoonfed any background info, and in this way, her character is made even more mysterious. Development with her is perfectly fine IMO, and in the scenes we have of her provides a surprising amount of insight into her character, much more so than some character that we see a lot but never talks or interacts with hardly anyone.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:37 pm

I'm not talking about outright spoonfeeding. There's a balance between not being subtle about anything and being completely nonsensical for the sake of waiting until the last minute. Gainax obviously just forgot where it was since the TV series.

Giving plot threads a basic backbone but leaving things open enough to give the sequel a lead-in is good. Leaving complete black holes in the middle of the story and letting the entire plot fall apart as an excuse to make a sequel to clean it up is not good.

Better that than being spoonfed info just for the sake of having info.

Not ... really. Spoonfeeding is better than total starvation because it at least shows you that the writers themselves have a stable idea of where the hell they're going.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 pm

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:Leaving complete black holes in the middle of the story and letting the entire plot fall apart as an excuse to make a sequel to clean it up is not good.

Heh, that sounds like the TV series.

But in all seriousness, there were supposed to be 3 movies right from the beginning. I'm not sure how this is an excuse.

I Accidentally Dracula
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby I Accidentally Dracula » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 am

Ornette wrote:Heh, that sounds like the TV series.

A two episode ending is a bit different from the entire plot falling apart.

If you're not talking about the creation of EoE, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

But in all seriousness, there were supposed to be 3 movies right from the beginning. I'm not sure how this is an excuse.

It wasn't supposed to take them four years right from the beginning.

Shackel
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Shackel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:51 am

Imagine how long it'll take for Evangelion 3.0 AND Final to come out!

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:57 am

Shackel wrote:Imagine how long it'll take for Evangelion 3.0 AND Final to come out!

I believe the wait will be shorter. I base this belief on the hope that Anno and co. actually have worked out the plot for those films, and now they "only" have to make it move on the screen.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:00 pm

^ What he said.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:19 pm

I Accidentally Dracula wrote:
Ornette wrote:Heh, that sounds like the TV series.

A two episode ending is a bit different from the entire plot falling apart.

If you're not talking about the creation of EoE, I'm not sure what you're referring to.

No, I was actually referring to around ep19-20 onward, a slow decline of stuff being thrown in that don't really make sense but make good fodder for people to discuss to death and fanwank, and yet still not make any sense of some of the stuff (Kaworu's monologue down to Lilith?), ultimately ending with 2 episodes which admittedly wasn't originally planned but required a sequel movie to be made to tie up some of the loose plot points. But that's neither here nor there.

I think it's unfair to say the entire plot falling apart. I've seen both the movies and I actually think the plot is much more straightforward than the TV series. I'm completely satisfied with how things are unfolding. There's a review of it on ANF (by a member here, not sure why they didn't post here) that I completely agree with. But if you're going to go ahead and assume there's already faults with the movie, I'm not going to stop you. People are going to do that, to my surprise, just from reviews and synopsis.

It wasn't supposed to take them four years right from the beginning.

Still don't understand how this is supposed to be an excuse to let the plot fall apart in order to make a 3rd, pre-planned, movie.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:56 pm

ProfessorSmooth wrote:The movie was absolutely amazing. No reviews, synopsis, or cam-rips can give an idea of how excellent Eva 2.0 is.

I wonder how much of this amezement comes from the fact that the reviewer was fortunate enough to se 2.0 on the big screen.

When i first saw Independence Day back in the day in a proper cinema, i came away with a feeling of "Holy crap, this is the best movie ever!". Two years passed, my tastes didn't change much, and i rented I.D. from a videotake. Sat down, watched it on the T.V., and i was shocked by how unbelievably shitty the film seemed on this second go.

I'm just wondering how well the 2.0 experience will translate from the big screen to the small screen.

On topic: Though i have some issues with what i heard about 2.0 so far, i'm finding myself to be more and more giddy with anticipation to be finally able to see it with my own eyes.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”