Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 Speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:03 am

My bad. I thought you meant in the lower right hand corner with the whole Zeurel thing.

Looks like it's whatever that game system is Asuka was playing.

There's a shot of it in the magazine spread too. Based on Misato's wounds 100% after Bardiel.

sterling01
Embryo

Postby sterling01 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:03 am

Timstuff wrote:BTW, is Unit 01 standing on the NERV pyramid part of Shinji's supposed anti-NERV rampage, do you think?

It is his rampage, he takes half of NERV out

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:04 am

Any word from Ornette?
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

Megashadow13
Adam

Postby Megashadow13 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:05 am

Timstuff wrote:
Sachi_13 wrote:
Zyn9178 wrote:From what I've read so far.
Rebuild 2.0 = Girlfriend of steel + RE-TAKE + Rei on crack + other elements.

Sounds about right.

I approve.

BTW, is Unit 01 standing on the NERV pyramid part of Shinji's supposed anti-NERV rampage, do you think?

yea i second you, thats probably when he gets major pissed after what gendo made him do to Asuka, when he 'crushes the top of the geofront pyramid'
Reality is just an extension of your dreams~
if you fail in epic proportions, you might just become a winning failure...
O WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYLY??

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Heromaster111 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:05 am

DummyPlug wrote:Any word from Ornette?

He missed the early showing

And damn 2 different answers who to believe
Last edited by Heromaster111 on Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:05 am

Sachi_13 wrote:

Sounds about right.
Agreed. Seems like "making it easier to follow" means average fanfiction cliches. Especially that "cooking contest". "Hey, I can proof that I can be the better domicile housewife!", or what? That's really GoS material right there.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:06 am

DummyPlug wrote:Any word from Ornette?

Yeah, the theater was totally sold out so the review will be coming later.
DeviantArt profile being re-invented... Check back later.

Megashadow13
Adam

Postby Megashadow13 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:07 am

JimmyWolk wrote:Agreed. Seems like "making it easier to follow" means average fanfiction cliches. Especially that "cooking contest". "Hey, I can proof that I can be the better domicile housewife!", or what? That's really GoS material right there.

makes you wonder if anno really read all that stuff... and the possible horrible truth that he got ideas from them...

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Heromaster111 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:09 am

Megashadow13 wrote:makes you wonder if anno really read all that stuff... and the possible horrible truth that he got ideas from them...

It's believed by some that Rebuild is just to fuck with fans so that would make perfect sense for him to get ideas from it

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:10 am

JimmyWolk wrote:Agreed. Seems like "making it easier to follow" means average fanfiction cliches. Especially that "cooking contest". "Hey, I can proof that I can be the better domicile housewife!", or what? That's really GoS material right there.

Actually, it's a bit of a reversal/twist on the story with Hikari and Toji-- except totally jumbled up. Asuka is now trying to reach a boy's heart through the stomach, while simultaneously volunteering to pilot Unit 03. It's like Hikari and Toji's little story has been merged into one character, imprinted on Asuka, and has had 50% of it projected onto Shinji. Weird, no?

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Heromaster111 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:11 am

Timstuff wrote:
JimmyWolk wrote:
Sachi_13 wrote:

Sounds about right.
Agreed. Seems like "making it easier to follow" means average fanfiction cliches. Especially that "cooking contest". "Hey, I can proof that I can be the better domicile housewife!", or what? That's really GoS material right there.

Actually, it's a bit of a reversal/twist on the story with Hikari and Toji-- except totally jumbled up. Asuka is now trying to reach a boy's heart through the stomach, while simultaneously volunteering to pilot Unit 03. It's like Hikari and Toji's little story has been merged into one character, imprinted on Asuka, and has had 50% of it projected onto Shinji. Weird, no?

basically meaning Hikari who?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:13 am

Drastic changes and adaptations make me happy. I was worried this whole franchise was going to be 75% pretty tracing of the old series. Anno has delivered simply based on the story changes I'm hearing. (Kinda renders a Live Action Version mute..er in my eyes).

I wonder how many scenes Mari has in this film. It can't be much. But it's enough that she leaves a presence on the overall film.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:13 am

Timstuff wrote:
JimmyWolk wrote:
Sachi_13 wrote:

Sounds about right.

Yeah, but the problem is, as much of a WAFF- and A/S fan as I am - Asuka isn't Hikari. It's very OOC for her IMO (okay, maybe not OOC for Asuka Shikinami...) and while I can enjoy that in spin-offs/fanworks, seeing it in an "official" release makes me cringe a bit.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:14 am

Heromaster111 wrote:
Timstuff wrote:
JimmyWolk wrote:
Sachi_13 wrote:

Sounds about right.

basically meaning Hikari who?

Poor Hikari got pretty much completely shafted from these movies, it seems. Oh well, at least we get more Asuka.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:14 am

Protip: For expired 4chan threads go to archive.easymodo.net

Several times on /a/ I wrote that this sounds like it's going to be the worst of FF.net done with an epic budget. And everything I'm hearing today makes just confirms that we are getting exactly that -- lots of easy Bruckheimer/Bay style wizard bangs and xplosions, no real substance.

This is not NGE, it's Anno's (bad) Eva fanfic.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DummyPlug
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DummyPlug » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:16 am

I always thought if A/S were possible at all it would require a major overhaul of Asuka's character, and maybe some touchups to Shinji's.
Good prog/modern metal at:
http://acrypticcreature.blogspot.com

Megashadow13
Adam

Postby Megashadow13 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:17 am

JimmyWolk wrote:
Timstuff wrote:
JimmyWolk wrote:
Sachi_13 wrote:

Sounds about right.

Yeah, but the problem is, as much of a WAFF- and A/S fan as I am - Asuka isn't Hikari. It's very OOC for her IMO (okay, maybe not OOC for Asuka Shikinami...) and while I can enjoy that in spin-offs/fanworks, seeing it in an "official" release makes me cringe a bit.

agreed.... cringing like hell just thinkin of it...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:18 am

Eh Hikari's not needed. If Hikari was around then Asuka would have someone to use as an escape from Shinji. The more I think about it if Asuka really turns to Shinji for affection than Miss Shikinami is a more damaged individual than Miss Sorhyu.

Hikari's only real purpose in NGE (despite being super cute) was to tack on some tragedy to Toji's massacre in Bardiel (rendered mute since he lived) and give Asuka an escape from the others.

With the changes made she's useless (Even more than Kensuke). I bet her looking forlorn at Toji during Operation Yashima is the only shout out THAT specific drama gets in Rebuild.

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:18 am

DummyPlug wrote:I always thought if A/S were possible at all it would require a major overhaul of Asuka's character, and maybe some touchups to Shinji's.

It's not necessarily an overhaul to their characters, but rather using a different set of circumstances to push them in a slightly different direction.

BTW, I keep hearing that in the next film, Asuka will have an "eyepatch." Is it an actual pirate-style eye patch, or just a bandage over her eye like Rei had (or Asuka in EoE)? I don't want Asuka to have only one eye. This isn't frakking Battlestar Galactica! :(

iamsynch
Embryo

Postby iamsynch » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:14 am

http://www.otaku2.com/articleView.php?item=427

"Shinji insists on doing this, even though Ayanami tells him she “has spares,” because he says there is only one Ayanami. (Cue the romantic violins… This burns my ass, because face it, she is a clone, and Asuka was sure replaced fast enough…)."

"Kaji and Misato’s attraction (and Misato and Shinji’s for that matter) is similarly downplayed to keep the focus on Shinji and Ayanami. (Kaji does sexually harass Shinji, though!) "

In a scan of one of the programs Mari is doing something with Shinji, trying to kiss him or something.

I hope this review is either incredibly shallow/trolling or Anno built a really opaque/oblique narrative, and salvages everything in the next two films. The summaries make me wonder why Hikari/Toji were introduced in the first place, given the short length of the film relative to what it needs to cover.

But I'll hold my judgment until I get a subbed camrip.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”