Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:45 am

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:how did Asuka die in a good way? she was doing all kinds of badass stuff and then the lance just came out of no where and all the badass stuff she did was for nothing since the evas came back to life anyway.

and when she died it was like 5 minutes after her big discovery about her moms soul being in unit 2, because she died so soon after that scene, it completely killed that moment.

i guess its true that she did come back to life in the end anyway but still....

Don't get me wrong, Asuka is my favorite character as well, and it was painful to see her die like that. But seeing the mangled corpse of Unit-02 was pivotal in pushing Shinji towards initiating the Human Instrumentality Project, and the movie wouldn't have functioned the same without it.

I can only hope that Asuka's death is handled as well as it was in EoE if it does end up happening in Rebuild.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:51 am

i guess. but come to think of it. she probably will live though it. or die and come back to life. if she lived in the original series i guess she might live through these movies too.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:59 am

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:i guess. but come to think of it. she probably will live though it. or die and come back to life. if she lived in the original series i guess she might live through these movies too.

It's just as likely that she might get Killed Off For Real because that would be different, same as how Rei 2 not dying was considered a big difference.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:05 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:It's just as likely that she might get Killed Off For Real because that would be different, same as how Rei 2 not dying was considered a big difference.
[code]

lol. if anyone is most likely to die i think it could be Rei

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Lagann » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:18 am

Has this been posted yet? http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/?no=1826. It looks like some different footage added to what we seen.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:39 am

View Original PostLagann wrote:Has this been posted yet? http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/?no=1826. It looks like some different footage added to what we seen.

Yes, and you're the third person (that I know of) who has posted it.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby cd603 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:50 am

This chat of Asuka dying has me intrigued. Obviously there are the supporters/opposers of her character but what I think will be interesting (assuming she does die) is the circumstances in which she dies.
Will she be killed as a Human or as an angel? (Although, if we still apply Misato's info from EoE, then she already is considered an angel) We don't know enough about the contact she had with Bardiel yet to make that kind of call.

On a side note: we also don't know that Kaworu is an angel. We assume he's an angel based on our knowledge of the T.V. series. But this doesn't necessarily mean he's the same this time round. I know what your thinking: "But he was breathing in space, how can he not be an angel?" Really it's based on one fact, it hasn't been publicly stated. We let our assumptions get the better of us. Plus, we have no idea at this point if there is some other race involved in all this. For all we know, Kaworu is actually something/someone that existed outside of the NME universe and has now entered into it. And that's why these movies are good, they built up your imagination because we barely know any absolutes in this series. However, Anno has been known to "troll" his fan base, so this could be an elaborate rouse.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Na7e » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:58 am

View Original Postcd603 wrote:We don't know enough about the contact she had with Bardiel yet to make that kind of call.

Ritsuko states that all traces of cellular contamination were destroyed. Mental contamination wasn't ruled out.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:10 am

Yeah, I feel that any hopes for an "Asukael" in 3.0 will be sorely disappointed.

As for Kaworu being an Angel, it's not just that he was breathing in space. There is also the matter of the coffin he woke up in, and all the coffins around him, on the moon. Seriously, what the fuck is up with those coffins! I have to know!
System Administrator

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby cd603 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:15 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Ritsuko states that all traces of cellular contamination were destroyed. Mental contamination wasn't ruled out.

Ok, so physically she won't become an angel. But what we don't know the extent of the mental contamination. (Although the trailers seem to suggest she's pissed!) All I'm trying to get at is that we don't have all the details at the moment.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:55 am

LOL!! you know that they have done a good job at keeping the plot secret when people speculate to the point where they think Asuka could be an angel....im starting to think that people may be expecting to much. this rebuild series is meant to be for fans and newcomers, because of that i think that they are going for a more simple plot for the rebuild movies
(errr well...simple compared to the original series at least)

because she had half screen time in 2.0 and is a fan favorite i think most likely Asuka will live. i think mari might live because shes new. if Rei dies they can bring in Rei 3. bah, if any characters die it may not be until 4.0

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: im just gonna say it. Anno please! please dont kill asuk

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:45 am

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:yes i know im an obvious Asuka fan but come on, no one wants their favorite character to die ( especially in a cheap and stupid way like she did in Eoe)

Cheap and stupid? What kind of Asuka fan are you, to miss the point in such grand fashion? Her death in EoE was essential, as it was the only way to effectively resolve her character arc; she needed to learn that running away to Eva wasn't the way to deal with life's issues. If she'd just died it would have been tragic, but since she came back she's maybe finally gotten the message. That bit of hope at the end is the whole point of the exercise.

So no, not "cheap and stupid". Quite the opposite in fact. Now, if Shikinami had died against Bardiel? That would have been cheap and stupid. As is she might get to do something relevant in Q, which is better than just being a prop for Shinji's storyline. Maybe.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

cd603
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby cd603 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:As is she might get to do something relevant in Q, which is better than just being a prop for Shinji's storyline. Maybe.

She did mention that she doesn't want to be treated like a puppet, so yeah it'll probably happen.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:09 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:My dad works for Anno, so I already saw the movie.

So does that mean you've seen the script for FINAL? Does everyone die?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm

As for all of the talk of Asuka dying, She may or may not, Depending on where the film goes with Shinji. Other than that since when was Asuka an angel?
logic.
ロジック
Avatar: "Irelia", my top lane masterpiece.

UBERGEEKZILLA
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby UBERGEEKZILLA » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Cheap and stupid? What kind of Asuka fan are you, to miss the point in such grand fashion? Her death in EoE was essential, as it was the only way to effectively resolve her character arc; she needed to learn that running away to Eva wasn't the way to deal with life's issues. If she'd just died it would have been tragic, but since she came back she's maybe finally gotten the message. That bit of hope at the end is the whole point of the exercise.

So no, not "cheap and stupid". Quite the opposite in fact. Now, if Shikinami had died against Bardiel? That would have been cheap and stupid. As is she might get to do something relevant in Q, which is better than just being a prop for Shinji's storyline. Maybe.

by "cheap and stupid" im referring to the fact that she was in the middle of an awesome battle and then the lance just appeared out no where and killed her. and then the evas came back to life anyway so everything she did was for nothing. and like i said this happened like five minutes after her big reveal of her mom being the soul of unit 02 so that awsome moment was ruined.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:21 pm

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:by "cheap and stupid" im referring to the fact that she was in the middle of an awesome battle and then the lance just appeared out no where and killed her. and then the evas came back to life anyway so everything she did was for nothing. and like i said this happened like five minutes after her big reveal of her mom being the soul of unit 02 so that awsome moment was ruined.
Not really, because the EVA series was needed for 3I, and even if she died in the middle of one of those "cool fight" you know those limpet scenes that everyone likes in anime, She still had to die.
logic.
ロジック

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:22 pm

View Original PostUBERGEEKZILLA wrote:by "cheap and stupid" im referring to the fact that she was in the middle of an awesome battle and then the lance just appeared out no where and killed her. and then the evas came back to life anyway so everything she did was for nothing. and like i said this happened like five minutes after her big reveal of her mom being the soul of unit 02 so that awsome moment was ruined.

False rebirth, yo. Again, you missed the point. She went to the edge of death and came back, and for what? To do the same thing again? She didn't learn anything. That's why she had to lose that battle, and in truly epic fashion. It's the only way she'd maybe get the point after 3I (something we might wind up seeing with Shikinami in Q; if she winds up piloting Eva to save her friends instead of for herself Anno might be on to something there).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rj123541
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Rj123541 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:26 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:False rebirth, yo. Again, you missed the point. She went to the edge of death and came back, and for what? To do the same thing again? She didn't learn anything. That's why she had to lose that battle, and in truly epic fashion. It's the only way she'd maybe get the point after 3I (something we might wind up seeing with Shikinami in Q; if she winds up piloting Eva to save her friends instead of for herself Anno might be on to something there).
That also may be why she decided to come back after 3I, mabe she got the point and saw that Shinji needed her in his life. And that she needed him.
logic.
ロジック

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:31 pm

After watching the new Q trailer from Nico Nico Douga, we already know what happens to Kaworu, thanks to the meticulous effort by fans in Japan.

SPOILER: Show

HE TURNS OUT TO BE A MOOMIN !!!

OMAKE:

A comparison of the characters in Q and in previous movies

SPOILER: Show
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”