Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:18 pm

I should write a fanfic about old Asuka I have a feeling it would be interesting.

A young character finds a picture of Asuka in her plug suit from back in the day. "You used to wear that!" Then he is beaten with a cane.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:56 am

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:I would love a nice happy ending (and for a S/A end) but this is evangelion so I won't hold my breath

Yeah, good idea. We (and I'm sure many, many others) would just end up asphyxiating waiting for either such thing.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:45 am

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Yeah, good idea. We (and I'm sure many, many others) would just end up asphyxiating waiting for either such thing.

I guess a SXA romance is best left up to doujinshi. :(
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:43 am

I would love a nice happy ending (and for a S/A end) but this is evangelion so I won't hold my breath
View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Yeah, good idea. We (and I'm sure many, many others) would just end up asphyxiating waiting for either such thing.

That's an... uncomfortable choice of words, given the pairing in question. Image Image

A young character finds a picture of Asuka in her plug suit from back in the day. "You used to wear that!"

"Daaaaayyyyum!"

Then he is beaten with a cane.

"Sonny, I am one-quarter American! That means I'm related to Andrew Jackson SOMEHOW! Now if you flinch I'll just hit harder!"
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:13 am

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:That's an... uncomfortable choice of words, given the pairing in question. Image Image

It also wasn't an accident. Why do you think I phrased it that way? :nyao:
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:34 am

I see what you did there :lol: (if we don't get a A/S ending for rebuild (which will probley happen once again I say THIS IS EVANGELION NO HAPPY ENDINGS HERE unless your a alternate universe manga) I will attempt to write fan fiction again and hope for a rebuild equvalant to retake)

edit: a R/K ending would be awesome too (I consider Kawrou bi there is no proof that he is only (note I only say only) atracted to men for all we know he could like the company of women as well) but that won't happen either because Kawrou will most likely end up dying :(
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby tomrule123 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:32 pm

I'd be impressed if the final film is as good of an ending as End of EVA... hell, let it further impress me more if they do something more threatening than End of EVA.
SPOILER: Show
Seen the ending of EVA 2.22? Felt like EoE, only... less confusing.

But, regardless if it might or might not be like EoE... LET IT SURPRISE ME...

Cosman246
Adam

Postby Cosman246 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:24 pm

I want a dark, hard-to-understand, and abstract ending. Hopefully, all the characters are broken like in the original
#!/bin/sh

I'm sure that the MAGI system is a Beowulf cluster of GNU/Linux boxen. The prototypes probably ran Solaris or AIX.

Why yes, Gendo is my favorite character.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:08 pm

I want an ending that isn't too happy or too sad.

I guess I'm just hard to please....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby driftking18594 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:41 pm

My own hypothesis is that Asuka experiences an epiphany of sorts during her experience with Bardiel, and that it may fuse with her to give her powers on par with Kaworu. Meh, a man can dream, or at least make it into a fanfic.

Tsuki No Nagisa
Embryo

Well...

Postby Tsuki No Nagisa » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:41 pm

Yeh all that is correct, Actually in the new trailer , it is anounced that eva 3.0 will be released in autumn 2012 , also quickening is the 5 fase of the pregnancy (?) i dont remember tat mcuh

I got the information from Japanese sites (mostly gainax)

Yah i know a bit of hiragana and almost nothiing of kanji
~Maybe i Was Born To Meet You~
~Maybe i Was Born To Kill You~
~Maybe i Was Born To.....You~

hellrasinbrasin
Embryo

Postby hellrasinbrasin » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:03 am

My speculation is that both Adam and Lilith are meant to be merged The Lord of the White Moon and the Queen of the Red Earth giving birth to a God-Like being to be controlled through Unit-1

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:33 am

That'd be pretty awesome.

What I think will happen is basically a heavily modified version of what happens from episodes 16-20, with more ass-kicking. Also... CARD GAMES ON EVANGELIONS!
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Cruel Thesis
Embryo

Postby Cruel Thesis » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:11 am

After all these years im kinda tired of seeing the characters suffer - especially Shinji. I wouldn’t change anything about End of Eva, but I don’t really want rebuild to go back there.
I would like to see a happier ending for rebuild.. but its hard for me to be enthusiastic because I was really disappointed with 2.0. in general. I dunno maybe the next film will be better..

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:21 pm

View Original PostCruel Thesis wrote:After all these years im kinda tired of seeing the characters suffer - especially Shinji. I wouldn’t change anything about End of Eva, but I don’t really want rebuild to go back there.
I would like to see a happier ending for rebuild.. but its hard for me to be enthusiastic because I was really disappointed with 2.0. in general. I dunno maybe the next film will be better..

I completely agree. I think that each of the characters have suffered enough for one lifetime. I hope Anno plans to give the series a more hopeful ending for the characters.

If he somehow plans to "outdo" End of Evangelion in some twisted way, I think I will lose every fiber of interest for Evangelion. :nono: Pray that doesn't happen!
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:33 pm

A late reply:

View Original PostBrainman wrote:Later on, we learn that Asuka and Mari know each other. Their's is a rivalry reborn right when they meet again.

When Mari gets inside the cockpit of Unit-02, she comments that it smells of someone else, but doesn't recognize the smell. Nothing conclusive, but this does imply that she and Asuka have not met before. Just a nitpick.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:33 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:I completely agree. I think that each of the characters have suffered enough for one lifetime. I hope Anno plans to give the series a more hopeful ending for the characters.

If he somehow plans to "outdo" End of Evangelion in some twisted way, I think I will lose every fiber of interest for Evangelion. :nono: Pray that doesn't happen!

come on anno's best at mind screws, though I would like to see a lighter ending, but with all the talk on nichan I got a bad feeling about Q :raincloud:
I hope you don't lose intrest in it, it would suck not to have you on the forum.:)
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:41 pm

Cruel Thesis

Essentially my feelings about the matter. To me, the best part of 2.0 is it being a set up for the possibilities of 3.0. I could go on with why that is, but it's a pretty exhausted topic by now. The flavor was just all wrong for me. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything regarding the third one, since I pretty much liked the first one. I'm giving it as fair a shot as it needs.

xanderkh
If he somehow plans to "outdo" End of Evangelion in some twisted way, I think I will lose every fiber of interest for Evangelion. Pray that doesn't happen!

Well, a dark ending wouldn't put me off nearly as much as a boring one. If it's interesting and takes me by surprise in a more impressive and cerebral way, that'd be fine by me. What I don't like are things that seem "surprising" but are actually typical for virtually any other anime (dinner party subplot complete with love triangle, eh? Yeah ok, great job guy). The only reason I didn't see Rei cooking as a plot element coming was because I wasn't looking under the bar.

To me it seems like Anno was hypersensitive to the criticisms that Eva was too confusing, because I'd really like to see it push boundaries in that post modern way like before. Only use the budget more in that capacity. I'd like to see scenes that push the use of composition and art direction to create truly striking dream imagery. When I watch films like The Fall by Tarsem I wonder how one could so something similar but using animation to bend it even further. But so far it's like, nah, she's wearing an apron and look at this see-through get up. Oh how sad is this scene? No, you don't need to know this character's motivation yet. Unit 02 is a monster, cool right?

SaltyJoe
When Mari gets inside the cockpit of Unit-02, she comments that it smells of someone else, but doesn't recognize the smell. Nothing conclusive, but this does imply that she and Asuka have not met before. Just a nitpick.

I thought about that. But to me, it seemed more like she was commenting that she "didn't mind the smell" meaning it wasn't as favorable a scent to her as Shinji's. Also it'd be strange for her to remember a smell like Asuka's from childhood; but far be it for me to call something from Evangelion weird.

In any case, the reason why I include it in the Brainman Certified version is because Asuka and Mari having a previous relationship and extended interaction in the film would be a good way for both of them to "catch up" with the rest of the cast. Them having experience with each other would make it easier to quickly establish things with both of them using less dialogue than it would take for them to get acquainted. You could quickly go "boom, boom" Asuka was seen as a pre-madonna and Mari was a self starter but also a conniver. Get it in, get us up to speed. Then ok, space stuff happens.

Also, don't take the Brainman version as canonical as it's just me wasting time until 2012. I'm thinking maybe Megatron shows up; I mean who cares? It's just fun.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:49 pm

View Original PostBrainman wrote:Cruel Thesis

Well, a dark ending wouldn't put me off nearly as much as a boring one. If it's interesting and takes me by surprise in a more impressive and cerebral way, that'd be fine by me. What I don't like is things that seem "surprising" but are actually typical for virtually any other anime (dinner party subplot complete with love triangle, eh? Yeah ok, great job guy). The only reason I didn't see Rei cooking as a plot element coming was because I wasn't looking under the bar.

Perhaps I should have been more specific on the details. What I meant to say was that I hope it doesn't turn into the utter-depressing "Kill 'em All" and "lose faith in the protagonist" ending that was End of Evangelion. I thought that EoE was visually beautiful (albeit disturbing), but it was still depressing to me. I'd like Anno to do the exact same thing visually, but with a least a "light at the end of the tunnel" ending for the characters. Believe me, I want to be surprised just as you are. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:02 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:Perhaps I should have been more specific on the details. What I meant to say was that I hope it doesn't turn into the utter-depressing "Kill 'em All" and "lose faith in the protagonist" ending that was End of Evangelion. I thought that EoE was visually beautiful (albeit disturbing), but it was still depressing to me. I'd like Anno to do the exact same thing visually, but with a least a "light at the end of the tunnel" ending for the characters.

Oh, I see. The thing is, I'm actually one of the ones who see there being a silver lining in End of Evangelion. Although you really have to take certain elements as metaphorical. Mostly in the very last sequence. Yes humans have the bad habit of hurting one another, but also...

Either way, what I have my fingers crossed for is the animation and style to be bolder now that it's strutting in uncharted territory. The psychological stuff in TV episodes 25 and 26 was fine and all, but visually, it was just a slideshow and "keep reading, jerk." Let's see that done with grand cinematic stylings in the vein of that good old Shakespearian anime approach to content.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”