Evangelion 3.0 Speculation [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Someone » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:27 am

I suspect that Mari is going to die.
Quite possibly, by the hands of Captain Asuka.
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:54 am

If Mari dies (and as things stand I don't really expect her to do so) it'll be at the very end of the series. In the same way that Rei in NGE/EoE manifested the things in which Anno found escape, and it's her being destroyed that triggers the end of the story - Mari is above all else the chaotic element that has separated NME from NGE and her death would essentially signify a return to One More Final's beach.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

EvangelionOtaku
Embryo

Postby EvangelionOtaku » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:48 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:If Mari dies (and as things stand I don't really expect her to do so) it'll be at the very end of the series. In the same way that Rei in NGE/EoE manifested the things in which Anno found escape, and it's her being destroyed that triggers the end of the story - Mari is above all else the chaotic element that has separated NME from NGE and her death would essentially signify a return to One More Final's beach.

I wouldn't be surprised if she was killed off. She's a minor character in Evangelion: Break and her most important and longest apperance and dialogue was the Evangelion Provisional Unit scene. She's seen a couple more times with very little dialogue and than that's it. Either much more was planned for her and Break was meant to be much longer or that's all the exposure they wanted her to get.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:51 pm

View Original PostSomeone wrote:I suspect that Mari is going to die.

I didn't care for Mari anyways.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:52 pm

Do we know anything about Evangelion 4.0 aside from the really old Anime News Network article that said it would be 45 minutes long and run alongside 3.0 and also be released in Q4 2008?

I ask because, if they did a re-assessment after 1.0's success and decided a full fourth movie wouldn't be such a bad idea, then Mari's survival in 3.0 is entirely contingent on how much she was willing to put out for Anno.

/joke. Hopefully

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:06 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Do we know anything about Evangelion 4.0 aside from the really old Anime News Network article that said it would be 45 minutes long and run alongside 3.0 and also be released in Q4 2008?

Nothing is ever confirmed....
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Razeil100
Adam

Postby Razeil100 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:49 am

View Original PostXard wrote:the best speculah I've seen so far:

MIND=BLOWN.

The patched up Eva and Asuka's plugsuit make a lot more sense if that's the case. I know that couldn't possibly it, but fuck there's a good amount of that that makes sense.
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

tomfrom994
Adam

Postby tomfrom994 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:23 pm

View Original PostSomeone wrote:I suspect that Mari is going to die.

I would be surprised if that didn't happen. Unless there was going to be a happy ending, there's no way in hell Asuka would take the fact that someone took her Unit-02 for a joyride lightly.

I can picture her stumbling out of her containment chamber, finding out that Mari rode around in Unit-02, and then instantly jumping from looking like she's sick to furious anger and then strangling her.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:18 am

View Original Posttomfrom994 wrote:I would be surprised if that didn't happen. Unless there was going to be a happy ending, there's no way in hell Asuka would take the fact that someone took her Unit-02 for a joyride lightly.

I can picture her stumbling out of her containment chamber, finding out that Mari rode around in Unit-02, and then instantly jumping from looking like she's sick to furious anger and then strangling her.

I get the feeling that in Q, Mari and Asuka's arcs will be linked somehow. Seems more economical that way (time constraints being what they are). Even if you assume Q is a stand alone movie with Final being separate, there's still a lot to cover from what we know. Since we know Kawrou and Shinji are going to be involved in their own arc, I could see the story start to get out of hand if Mari and Asuka also had divergent story lines going on along with Misato, Kaji, and the rest of Nerv.

The clip for the preview was cleverly chosen because it indicates certain things without giving away many specifics. We know that Asuka gets free of the carbonite, gets back in the saddle, and goes to space (perhaps to take down the Trojan Horse before it can reach Jaburo and etc etc). All of that would necessarily take a certain amount of screen time to show. I would make the decision to pair up Asuka and Mari's story so they can both be developed during the same time to avoid it becoming too messy.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:04 pm

^ I think i already wrote something along these lines in this very thread, but i can't help but think that the naming scheme is somehow indicative of a connection between the female pilots that will allow Anno to treat them as one narrative unit, at least in some respects.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Sephizim » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:28 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:i can't help but think that the naming scheme is somehow indicative of a connection between the female pilots that will allow Anno to treat them as one narrative unit, at least in some respects.

The shared piloting between Unit-02 will probably help link Asuka and Mari in this way. True, I'm sure she'll be pissed at Mari for doing that, but I'm thinking she's going to be much more focused on what happened in Unit-03 to worry about that. I really am interested to see not only how these two characters are going to interact, and to see how the Bardiel incident changed how Asuka relates to the other characters as well. (Personally, I don't know if she's going to be more pissed at Shinji or at NERV...)

tomfrom994
Adam

Postby tomfrom994 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:24 pm

View Original PostBrainman wrote:I get the feeling that in Q, Mari and Asuka's arcs will be linked somehow. Seems more economical that way (time constraints being what they are).

You make a lot of sense there. Hell, the reason why Asuka's in space is she's probably fighting Mari for all we know. (Hopefully, she's not killing Kaworu. That's Shinji's job.)

I just thought of something though. What if Mari is an angel? Would that make any sense? She has some mystery "affairs" we don't know about.

Jesus, I wish we had full trailers to go on here. Everytime I make a theory I always think there's no way it would happen if I expect it. I guess the delay for this film came from Anno reading every theory on any forum regarding Evangelion for the purpose of blowing away all theories.
Last edited by tomfrom994 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaVaGe
Lilith

Postby SaVaGe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:35 pm

Do people really think Asuka and Mari will duke it out Eva style? That'd certainly be a fan service to the fans action-wise, yet I can't being myself to imagive things escalating that far between the two.
Part of me hopes it does. Heheh.
I'm SaVaGe and I am an Evaholic

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:05 pm

Nah, Asuka will just strangle Mari while Komm Susser Tod plays in the background with LSD inspired visuals.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

SaVaGe
Lilith

Postby SaVaGe » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:46 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Nah, Asuka will just strangle Mari while Komm Susser Tod plays in the background with LSD inspired visuals.

Ah. That seems vastly more likely.

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:39 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:I really am interested to see not only how these two characters are going to interact, and to see how the Bardiel incident changed how Asuka relates to the other characters as well. (Personally, I don't know if she's going to be more pissed at Shinji or at NERV...)

The story I'd like to see is a trust building story for Asuka. The natural reaction to what happened to her would be a relapse as it were. With most of Nerv locked up she might hear the debriefing on the previous events from some cold military doctor who is like "And at such and such time your Eva was destroyed by Unit 01." leaving out the bit about the dummy plug being activated. Which would likely cause some pretty turbulent emotions and might cause her to close herself off completely.

And so then I would see Mari being the one who disrupts that process. She could easily be an initial object of anger and resentment, then someone who's like a rival, and finally someone who helps Asuka reestablish herself. Then she goes into space.

Also you could establish some parallelism between Shinji / Kawrou and Asuka / Mari. Not necessarily in a shipping sense mind you but in a "this new person is drastically changing my outlook here."

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Sephizim » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:28 pm

View Original PostBrainman wrote:And so then I would see Mari being the one who disrupts that process. She could easily be an initial object of anger and resentment, then someone who's like a rival, and finally someone who helps Asuka reestablish herself. Then she goes into space.

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm hoping to see happen. You just managed to put it into words for me. XP

Brainman
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Brainman » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:10 am

View Original PostSaVaGe wrote:Do people really think Asuka and Mari will duke it out Eva style? That'd certainly be a fan service to the fans action-wise, yet I can't being myself to imagive things escalating that far between the two.
Part of me hopes it does. Heheh.

What I kind of like about this idea is that it would be a fight that's not really been seen in Eva so far. Most battles in Eva tend to be one sided either way. Victory comes either from a long shot or completely and utterly turning the tide and making the fight into a massacre. It would be interesting to see a fight in Eva that was between more evenly matched opponents. I'd also like to see what Asuka and Mari's skill levels are relative to each other.

And that's not considering plot or anything. Sometimes you have to set DEEP aside and just admit you'd like to see a cat fight in space.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:43 am

View Original PostEvangelionOtaku wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if she was killed off. She's a minor character in Evangelion: Break and her most important and longest apperance and dialogue was the Evangelion Provisional Unit scene. She's seen a couple more times with very little dialogue and than that's it. Either much more was planned for her and Break was meant to be much longer or that's all the exposure they wanted her to get.

CR says it was the other way around: Mari is supposed to be very important, but shouldn#t have made a proper entrace before 3.0 - They gave her MORE screen time than originally planned because ppl were so exited about her.

you can't shove a new character down ppls throats, they came to see Asuka/Rei/Misato/Kaworu etc.
To put a new character in an already established setting, you have to be subtle and give her short, but memorable/personality establishing scenes so ppl will get attached to/interested her and tolerate it if Q is full of her.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

SaVaGe
Lilith

Postby SaVaGe » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:41 pm

View Original PostBrainman wrote:What I kind of like about this idea is that it would be a fight that's not really been seen in Eva so far. Most battles in Eva tend to be one sided either way. Victory comes either from a long shot or completely and utterly turning the tide and making the fight into a massacre. It would be interesting to see a fight in Eva that was between more evenly matched opponents. I'd also like to see what Asuka and Mari's skill levels are relative to each other.

And that's not considering plot or anything. Sometimes you have to set DEEP aside and just admit you'd like to see a cat fight in space.

I completely agree. I like the idea of two characters from the "good side" fighting in their evas. For the first time we really have a choice of who to root for. Not to mention it'd be the first time we saw a (wo)man vs (wo)man battle.

That being the part of me that hopes things escalate that far.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”