Eva 2.0 Trailer 2 (HQ)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri May 29, 2009 10:51 am

^
Hm, character death? Let's review the possible suspects:

-Asuka and Mari are getting introduced fresh in 2.0, so i don't think either of them will be discarded in the same movie. Besides, with this "*nami" naming convention, i get the feeling that they and Rei will form some sort of narrative unit, so i doubt thats going to get broken in the film it is being established in.

-Ritsuko: maybe, but why? Nerv needs a head scientist, and she's hot:).

-Kaworu: surely not. He's kept for the very end of the movie, and i have a feeling that 3.0 and especially 4.0 will be regular Tabris-fests.

-Rei: i think it would be to early (although sacrificing herself against Zeruel is a possibility). And besides, if she dies, there will be another one, so it would only be the death of Rei 2, not Rei. Also, what i wrote earlier.

-Kaji and Touji: They have a very high probability of biting it. Maybe they aren't primary characters, but having them die for this movie is enough, i think.

Now it is waaaay to early to speculate about this, but my gut instinct tells me that everyone besides Shinji and one "lucky" contestant (Mari?) will by the farm permanently at the end of 4.0. Without "Get out of Limbo free!" cards, even.

Chrad
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Chrad » Fri May 29, 2009 11:04 am

SaltyJoe wrote:Now it is waaaay to early to speculate about this, but my gut instinct tells me that everyone besides Shinji and one "lucky" contestant (Mari?) will by the farm permanently at the end of 4.0. Without "Get out of Limbo free!" cards, even.

No. Please...no.

PuppetChaos
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby PuppetChaos » Fri May 29, 2009 12:10 pm

Alrighty, for the whole thing about the amount of stuff in the amount of time the movie lasts...

Let's assume 2.0 is a 100 minute film. There's Clock-Angel, BonyFishAngel, Sahaquiel, Bardiel and Zeruel. That's 5 Angels. Divide 100 by 5, and you get 20 minutes to be potentially allocated to each Angel. That's only 2 minutes less than the average running time of an anime episode, and those typically have an intro and outro, so they're more like 18 minutes. Sure, movies have a different structure of narrative than a series of 5 episodes, but still, 20 minutes to each Angel is not as harried as you'd think. They can also pull off some narrative tricks like starting right in the middle of an Angel battle (05 vs Bonyfish?), and then going into a set-up/characterization phase of the story.

For all we know, they're trolling us hard and showing us stuff that doesn't happen until 3.0 or at the end of the film as a cliffhanger. Like how I think 06's descent from the moon is going to be at the end of the movie, and Kaworu will say something cryptic to screw with us all over again
DeviantART | YouTube | LiveJournal
I think the 00 Gundam is a pretty cool guy, eh teleports and doesnt afraid of anything

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Fri May 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Production on 3.0 has likely not even actually started outside of concept phase, doubt we are getting 3.0 teases already.

Don't think we also have confirmed how many angels are going to be in this exactly or how. We could get a Manga like quick glossing over of angel attack as we got with 02 beating the angel at sea during transport, simply referring to it off hand instead of showing it.

CtHuLhU
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby CtHuLhU » Fri May 29, 2009 12:23 pm

あやなみ ☆ すきだよ

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri May 29, 2009 12:37 pm

The math makes sense but I wouldn't put 20 minutes per Angel.

Now here's just some brain wanking on my part.

My instincts tell me 2.0 opens with Mari and Unit 05 fighting the Bone Angel (on the Moon). I'm not gonna try to come up with the details why (maybe trying to merge with Unit 06...ok, I went there) but it'll be the kickass opening to the film. The battle will probably be a real showcase for this new Eva and will take up the first 4-5 minutes of the film. Angel destroyed, Mari takes off her helmet, we get our first good look at her and then she hears about her Tokyo 3 duties.

Clock Angel looks like he's the new Gaghiel, out there in the ocean trying to get Adam. He'll act as the Intro Angel for Asuka. So his section might take 20 minutes because we have to be introduced to Kaji and Asuka. He'll be gone by the 30-35 minute mark. Give the film 10-15 minutes of character, brining in Mari, and then wham- the Sahaquiel incident which I can figure can be done (character beats and all) in less than 10 minutes.
So by the (let's assume) 50 minute mark they dive into the Bardiel-Touji section. Hopefully THAT will be the heart of the film and should take at least a solid 30 minutes. So Bardiel done at 1:20(ish). Give the film a couple more minutes of character beats-about 7. And then the last 10-12 minutes is just dedicated to Zeurel coming to town and kicking all sorts of ass.
At minute 97/98 Shinji gets sucked up into Unit 01 and then we give Kaworu his obligatory final minute.

That was my fan wanking. I just really hope Anno and crew aren't stingy enough to stick to their "Must be about 90 minute" running time. 1.0 was 93 minutes long. I have hope for 2.0

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri May 29, 2009 12:50 pm

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Bone Angel

:butthead: :beavis:
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri May 29, 2009 1:18 pm

PuppetChaos wrote:Like how I think 06's descent from the moon is going to be at the end of the movie, and Kaworu will say something cryptic to screw with us all over again

If the promo poster is any indication, those cryptic statements will be about Third Impact and some religiously symbolic Door.

BattleMonkey wrote:Don't think we also have confirmed how many angels are going to be in this exactly or how. We could get a Manga like quick glossing over of angel attack as we got with 02 beating the angel at sea during transport, simply referring to it off hand instead of showing it.

Well, from what we could gather from the trailers, Boniel and Clockiel will have detailed battle sequences, and Sahaquiel will probably also get a real, albeit quick battle. Bardiel and Zeruel can not be glossed over because... they just can't. Adding another Angel to simply be shown getting taken down would be rather pointless, IMHO. And there aren't infinite slots for Angels. We can have at most twelve.

BattleMonkey
Leliel
Leliel

Postby BattleMonkey » Fri May 29, 2009 1:26 pm

There might be tag team action OooOo

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri May 29, 2009 1:53 pm

CtHuLhU wrote:Image
Close, but not quite.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Fri May 29, 2009 1:55 pm

I thought fanfic writers just made up the stuff bout Asuka liking retro games.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri May 29, 2009 1:58 pm

Tokpile Quohog wrote:

I thought fanfic writers just made up the stuff bout Asuka liking retro games.
HIKARI'S SEGA

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Action_Bastard » Fri May 29, 2009 3:37 pm

I always thought she was pulling out a gameboy advance and happen to start playing it sideways. Oh Asuka....

:asuka_miffed:

I'm serious, lol...
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby master_lloyd » Fri May 29, 2009 3:40 pm

What's with the name tag?

Hi my name is:

Asuka

I'm happy to be the saviour of mankind.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Action_Bastard » Fri May 29, 2009 3:42 pm

I was wondering that too. Her outfit looks like she should be a nurse or something. But it is most likely a visitor pass (i.e. my theory that the 3 go to an aquarium on the school trip instead of Okinawa) or a Nerv nametag/pass.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

Evangelion217
Lilith

Postby Evangelion217 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:07 pm

This might be the most gorgeous, and aesthetically brilliant anime of the last 20 years. Or atleast since either "Cowboy Bebop", or "End of Evangelion." :grin:
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

"Komm Susser Todd" is the most up-lifting song about depression"- Evangelion217

It's stange that "Evangelion" became such a hit. All the characters are so sick!- Hideaki Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Fri May 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Evangelion217 wrote:This might be the most gorgeous, and aesthetically brilliant anime of the last 20 years.

You probably just haven't watched enough.

Gendo'sPapa's breakdown of the film looks pretty good to me. Just refine it a little to take all those keywords and stuff into account (like that scenario I slapped together from the poster and first trailer), and you're good to go.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Fri May 29, 2009 6:00 pm

Evangelion217 wrote:This might be the most gorgeous, and aesthetically brilliant anime of the last 20 years.
I take it you haven't watched Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Spirited Away, Metropolis, or Parallel Works 5.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 29, 2009 6:33 pm

master_lloyd wrote:What's with the name tag?

CAPTAIN Asuka Langley Shikinami not ringing any bells for you? ;)

Or if the kids are on a field trip, maybe they do need nametags with them.

Gendo'sPapa: That idea what happens where sounds pretty good to me, but I think it wouldn't be that big of a deal if 2.0 was slightly over 90 minutes.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

Postby ZapX » Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 pm

I'd think it's her credentials.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”