2.0 Trailer speculation

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby Axell » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:33 am

i'm gonna miss you leliel *sob*

Oedipusfoot
Ireul
Ireul

Postby Oedipusfoot » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:47 am

Darn, episode 16 is one of my favorites.
--

I don't think that Kensuke will become a pilot. I mean, everything in Evangelion is part of a careful balance. If you add one character into the mix, you drastically change the result. Other characters, situations, grow completely different. I don't think Kensuke has any thematic significance in the grand sense that Rebuild is trying to put forth with all their 'new theory' claims. Kensuke doesn't need character development, he is not that important in the scheme of things.

I remember someone saying something about To(u)ji being barely a secondary character. That's the feeling I get with Kensuke. Him being a pilot just has the wrong feel to it.

But then who'll pilot Unit-5. It can't be Mari, since it's a guy with the headgear, unless the headgear allows you to sync with another person's Eva or something (but that is a retarded theory, so don't think about it). If you consider that the headgear is part of a test simulation or something, you could say that Unit-5 is just an extra Eva used when its specialities are called upon. Who knows.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:48 am

I wounder how the fight scenes with The Angels will work since their is like six of them in one movie? I hope it not like Spider-Man 3 and Godzilla: Final Wars where the fight scenes where so short.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Itac
Adam

Postby Itac » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:17 am

As for the headgear, I just thought of something that could somewhat contradict my previous theory.

I can't recall the episode number for the life of me(I've hardly slept the past couple of days), but the episode where they're doing the compatibility tests. Perhaps this headgear could be used for synching with the simulation bodies, and its part of the Ireul sequence? (As I recall from the trailer, whoever the pilot is seems to be under "attack", similar to Rei when her simulation body is taken over.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:47 am

Guyver Spawn wrote:I wounder how the fight scenes with The Angels will work since their is like six of them in one movie?

The apparent profundity can be easily reduced to a more conservative guess (four Angels). See my posts on the previous page.

Oedipusfoot wrote:But then who'll pilot Unit-5.

As I mentioned, that looks like Shinji's plugsuit (too bad the number on the chest is all blurry), so maybe the simplest explanation is that it is actually Shinji.

I remember someone saying something about To(u)ji being barely a secondary character. That's the feeling I get with Kensuke.

Judging from the trailer, both of them will be getting more screen time in 2.0. Toji, at the very least, "barely being a secondary character" will probably be a little on the inadequate side when the Bardiel incident rolls around. If they're smart they'll be adding additional development time to 1.11, but who knows.

Itac wrote:its part of the Ireul sequence?

Bardiel sequence, more like. :smirk:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:44 am

Reichu wrote:Judging from the trailer, both of them will be getting more screen time in 2.0. Toji, at the very least, "barely being a secondary character" will probably be a little on the inadequate side when the Bardiel incident rolls around. If they're smart they'll be adding additional development time to 1.11, but who knows.
The "barely second character" comment was made in regard to the question whether Toji will be actually involved in the "Bardiel incident" at all.
And as for the trailer, how does that indicate more screentime for them? They're just in one short, plain shot at school.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:05 am

JimmyWolk wrote:The "barely second character" comment was made in regard to the question whether Toji will be actually involved in the "Bardiel incident" at all.

I'm not sure why the question needs to be asked at all. This isn't a narrative detail that's at all likely to be changed. Toji was, after all, maintained in the Rebuild roster, and, despite the fact that his role in the "prologue" arc has been painfully simplified, relevant elements have already been set in motion (hospitalized sister, friendship with Shinji).

If folks want to think that this narrative setup will be totally abandoned, Toji will be resigned to do absolutely nothing in Rebuild after all, and a pilot for Eva-03 will just spontaneously generate from the ether of 2.0's script, be my guest... Though let's be realistic here.

And as for the trailer, how does that indicate more screentime for them? They're just in one short, plain shot at school.

It looks like the three of them at 0:27 (from left to right: Kensuke, Shinji, Toji). There might be other cuts featuring the "three stooges", but it's too hard to tell with the bleached shakycam.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:17 am

Something interesting I noticed about the spindly legs (hypothetically speaking, Matariel) is that it leaves behind sort of a hexagonal snowflake pattern in the ground... Perhaps they combined Matariel and Leliel, and it's absorbing the ground it steps on? Or perhaps it's just corroding the ground with every step, and that invalidates my previous conjecture...
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:19 am

Reichu wrote:
JimmyWolk wrote:The "barely second character" comment was made in regard to the question whether Toji will be actually involved in the "Bardiel incident" at all.

I'm not sure why the question needs to be asked at all. This isn't a narrative detail that's at all likely to be changed. Toji was, after all, maintained in the Rebuild roster, and, despite the fact that his role in the "prologue" arc has been painfully simplified, relevant elements have already been set in motion (friendship with Shinji, hospitalized sister).
Yes, it's unlikely that's it'll be changed. But as said before - after Shikinami, everything's possible.

Reichu wrote:

It looks like the three of them at 0:27* (from left to right: Kensuke, Shinji, Toji). There might be other cuts featuring the "three stooges", but it's too hard to tell with the bleached shakycam.
My point remains - just that they're in the trailer at all isn't really an indicator that they'll have more screentime in the movie. Unless you meant that as "more screentime in addition to 1.x" opposed to "more screentime than in 1.x" - but that they wouldn't be entirely written out was quite a given, wasn't it?

*Sure you mean 0:27? I don't see anyone there. If you meant 0:21 - could be, could be some entire no-name (doesn't look like more than two people either)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:47 am

JimmyWolk wrote:But as said before - after Shikinami, everything's possible.

"Everything's possible" anyway. But unguided conjecture is IMO pointless. Also, comparison to Shikinami isn't quite useful here, since Toji piloting Eva-03 is something that's rather predictable taking the original plot together with 1.0 and what we know of 2.0. Nothing could have allowed us to predict that Asuka's name would be changed -- and, at the same time, that particular change has no direct plot relevance.

Unless you meant that as "more screentime in addition to 1.x" opposed to "more screentime than in 1.x" - but that they wouldn't be entirely written out was quite a given, wasn't it?

Given the nature of these threads, it doesn't seem that out of place for me to draw a little attention to intimations of "Three Stooges" action in 2.0.

*Sure you mean 0:27? I don't see anyone there. If you meant 0:21 - could be, could be some entire no-name (doesn't look like more than two people either)

I did mean 0:27, but here's a screenshot to prevent any further confusion.

Better to check out the little blobs in motion, but they look like Kensuke (with his shirt not tucked in), Shinji, and Toji (in black jogging suit and laid back with legs crossed and arms behind head). Whatever Toji is laying on is bleached beyond all recognition.

Agentomega wrote:Something interesting I noticed about the spindly legs (hypothetically speaking, Matariel) [snip]

I noticed this, as well. Reposting the bit from my neglected post a page back -- kudos to those who actually did read it -- because it also addresses the unlikelihood that this is Matarael at all (as folks seem to be insisting for whatever reason):

As for the cut with the weird "legs" that are being identified with Matarael, it's worth pointing out that there is nothing especially Matarael-like about them aside from being long and spindly. There are only two "legs" in the trailer and they move like someone on stilts, one leg in front of the other. This, along with the trail of "footprints" already left, implies a type of (apparently bipedal?) locomotion that would require a design concept vastly different from Matarael, who has four legs and moves vaguely like a daddy-long-legs. Time will tell just WTF is going on with those "legs", but the odds seem quite a bit against Matarael specifically.

As points of interest regarding the "legs": they're moving through the ocean and passing by a wrecked ship (with smoke billowing out). Also, when they touch the water, the shape of a hexagon enclosing a star forms, which subsequently "frosts over". Very curious.

Gendo'sPapa wrote:1. I've been saying ever since 1.0 came out that the last scene of film 2.0 is gonna be some cryptic scene where Kaworu lands on Earth. ... it's nice to hear people are coming around to my side.

I was probably referring to your older suggestions, then. Then again, these threads are such massive suggest-a-thons, others may have forwarded the same thing independently. (I honestly can't remember.) Vindication of speculations on an unreleased work will inevitably work on a probabilistic level; offer up enough speculations, and, even ones based on nothing more than whimsy or unsubstantiated "gut feeling" (i.e., absolutely nothing at all) have a chance of hitting the bullseye.

Third Impact will most likely feature key in some conversation Shinji has.

Since it turns up in the poster chronologically after Eva-01 has her snack, they're probably referring to something that doesn't involve Shinji.

arkiel wrote:So. This helmet thing. Sealed off, looks like. In the entry plug. Which is filled with LCL?

lolwut

Axell wrote:i'm gonna miss you leliel *sob*

It was pretty evident from early on that Leliel wouldn't make the cut.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Lagann
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Lagann » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:49 am

I still say that helmit says 06.And the helmit looks like o6's head.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:51 am

I don't think leg mechanics necessarily mean a lot. It could just be that they changed its body in the same way you suggested they changed Sahaquiel, and that they aren't showing us the good part so that people have to come to the movie. Sure would be nice if they updated the two most simplistic/cartoony angel designs with Webuild.

JimmyWolk
Ireul
Ireul

Postby JimmyWolk » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:27 am

Reichu wrote:
JimmyWolk wrote:But as said before - after Shikinami, everything's possible.

"Everything's possible" anyway. But unguided conjecture is IMO pointless. Also, comparison to Shikinami isn't quite useful here, since Toji piloting Eva-03 is something that's rather predictable taking the original plot together with 1.0 and what we know of 2.0. Nothing could have allowed us to predict that Asuka's name would be changed -- and, at the same time, that particular change has no direct plot relevance.
Well, the whole Shikinami deal made me realize that we can't take anything for granted what we know from anything but Rebuild itself. And, sorry, but what we've seen so far is far from definite in Toji's case. Yes, better treatment for his injured sister was what made him pilot, but just because she was injured again doesn't mean they'll make the offer to him again as well. And what do we know of 2.0? That Bardiel takes over Unit-03. That's it.

So far speculation is sticking to the old knowledge, even the "odd" ones like sequel or "proposal" theories. And while I'm not saying we should stop speculating altogether or come up with completely wild guesses - I think we should keep in mind that it could very well go really in an entirely new direction. And that's my point with "Shikinami". Expect the unexpected.

Reichu wrote:

I did mean 0:27, but here's a screenshot to prevent any further confusion.

Better to check out the little blobs in motion, but they look like Kensuke (with his shirt not tucked in), Shinji, and Toji (in black jogging suit and laid back with legs crossed and arms behind head). Whatever Toji is laying on is bleached beyond all recognition.
Dunno, those just look like part of the structure to me - especially in motion since, well, they're not moving at all.

Reichu wrote:
Axell wrote:i'm gonna miss you leliel *sob*

It was pretty evident from early on that Leliel wouldn't make the cut.
Same could be said about the likes of Sahaquiel and Matarael... >_>
Last edited by JimmyWolk on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:27 am

Legendary wrote:I don't think leg mechanics necessarily mean a lot.

My basic point was that the cut in question, taken on its own, implies nothing but a superficial resemblance to Matarael. "Spindly legs" do not a Matarael make. Also:

(A) It's quite obvious that Matarael's arc is not present.
(B) As already mentioned (in my other neglected post), we have been threatened with a "new Angel". It has to show up sometime, and the beginning of 2.0 is inundated with new elements -- so what better place?

So for now I will strongly advocate the guess that the "legs" belong to a new Angel set to appear at the beginning of 2.0.

Alternatively: it's just the Spear of Longinus taking a stroll. :bigeyes: (Means the ship would have to be really tiny, but... hey. It looks like the tines of a giant, walking fork, don't it?)

Lagann wrote:I still say that helmit [sic] says 06.

A right angle (as per that of a "5") is clearly visible here, and comparison with the "0" indicates that we're not dealing with blocky numerals (which would otherwise permit right angles to appear in "6").

JimmyWolk wrote:Same could be said about the likes of Sahaquiel and Matarael... >_>

Matarael is flat-out speculation at this point based on one thoroughly ambiguous cut; the ID is being given far more weight than merited.

Sahaquiel's presence doesn't surprise me too much. It was the high point of the "action arc", and it lets them get in a successful team operation involving the three pilots, plus some of the Misato character development hinted at in 1.0. Also worth noting that Sahaquiel is one of the Angels that Sadamoto kept when he streamlined the story.

Leliel has always been popular, but it doesn't take much rewriting to make the entire episode entirely unnecessary.

So far speculation is sticking to the old knowledge, even the "odd" ones like sequel or "proposal" theories. And while I'm not saying we should stop speculating altogether or come up with completely wild guesses - I think we should keep in mind that it could very well go really in an entirely new direction. And that's my point with "Shikinami". Expect the unexpected.

You probably don't need to tell me this -- I've been saying stuff about "expecting the unexpected" in this subforum since quite a ways back, mostly to balance out the individuals oblivious to the concept of stuff being rewritten, reworked, and combined with new elements (as opposed to "x episodes impossibly compressed into 90 minutes"). At the same time, it is patently obvious that a lot of old material is still in, some of it actually being worth "the benefit of the doubt" in terms of its presence.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sceleris
Adam

Postby Sceleris » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:38 am

Wow, this blurry trailer is like some sort of Rorschach test.
Reichu wrote:Image

What I see in that sequence is a space probe/rocket/vehicle landing on the moon. Like, the round thing on the left is a big crater. And the surface has a lot of small craters. Possible, seeing how there's a Nerv base there and all.

Agentomega
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Agentomega » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:39 am

This is a true statement... We've only really been conforming to the ideas that only past angels could show up. For all we know, there could be a new angel the likes of which has never even been hinted at in the original series... Of course, the two Lilliths make matters all the more weird...
Avatar: Rhoe Amariyo (© 2010-2014 SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD. All Rights Reserved. FINAL FANTASY X|V)
Karigane Shirou in LoL's RP - Rebuild of Evangelion: We Are (Not) Together
"'I was a nerd before it was cool' ~Agent" ~Lance of LoL

Ingraman
Lilith

Postby Ingraman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:42 am

@Sceleris yes, it seems some kind of space vehicle. Reminds me Space 1999...

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Legendary » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:51 am

Reichu wrote:(A) It's quite obvious that Matarael's arc is not present.

An element of Leliel's IS, and it is almost certainly not appearing in this movie. Moments of Gaghiel (the battleships, the stooges in the classroom) also appeared. Kaworu's arc is already different. Why can't Matarael, an underappreciated Angel, appear in a different context?

(B) As already mentioned (in my other neglected post), we have been threatened with a "new Angel". It has to show up sometime, and the beginning of 2.0 is inundated with new elements -- so what better place?

The ending of 1.0 had a new Angel, that moon giant.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:01 am

Poor Leliel. I'm sorry, but we can compress everything you advanced in Shinji's narrative to his month-long stay in Unit One following Zeurel.

Zeurel. Wow. Sucks to be Asuka. Things proceed as they did in the anime, we're going to see a total wipe-out in one movie.

I wonder how they're going to end this, incident-wise (since we don't know anything at all about Mari or Kaworu). It were me, I'd end with Shinji stuck inside Unit One, maybe devote 10 minutes of 3.0 to everyone loving on Shinji when he comes out XD

Of course, we're ALL assuming an awful lot of the plot.

Ingraman
Lilith

Postby Ingraman » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:05 am

Sequences with ship are probably from the new Matarael battle...when we see the legs, there is a damaged ship oh the left...and then when another ship is hit we can see the coast behind it.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”