Funimation Licenses Rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:53 pm

the link is not working for me now;

given that AnimeNewsNetwork publicly posted it, and it was apparently supposed to be private but someone stumbled on it, the FUNimation people may have taken it down
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:31 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-12-31/funimation-picks-up-evangelion-1.0-anime-film-remake

Well, its truly official.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:42 pm

Best news I've heard all we. The release date on the Funimation site is for 11/10/2009, but it'll be worth the wait if we get decent subs and (maybe?) a brightness fix. http://www.funimation.com/video/?page=video&v=977 (I'll at least keep my fingers crossed. :sweatdrop: )

Oh, and according to the article update, Funimation has the rights to the ENHANCED version that was released! (Yes, the 1.01 version! ^_^ )

http://www.funimation.com/evangelion/
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:02 pm

I speak for fans everywhere, I think, when I say:

THIS IS WHERE WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A YEAR AGO

this film came out OVER 15 MONTHS AGO

Do you have any idea how much something gets downloaded if its popular and you let it sit for that long?

Well, I hope they get the English dub cast back. Even if you didn't like the originals....it would be good to have continuity.
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:17 pm

If I recall correctly, according to one of the higher-ups in ADV, in an interview, said it sometimes takes 6 months to a year to negotiate a license. This was an interview about fansubs that I posted in the OT section.

I'm sure a lot of the R1 licensors weren't just sitting around doing nothing about this.

Master Raven
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Master Raven » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:53 pm

I'm looking very forward to the FUNimation dub.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:54 pm

V wrote:THIS IS WHERE WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN A YEAR AGO

this film came out OVER 15 MONTHS AGO

So STOP SHOUTING and GET INVOLVED in the bloody industry or something.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:55 am

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of the hold-up seems to be on the .jp side. Gonzo has been one of the most aggressive studios when it comes to simultaneous licensing (Strike Witches, most notably), and it's become clear recently that they're pretty hard up for money. My guess is that they did it out of desperation.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:48 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:but it'll be worth the wait if we get decent subs and (maybe?) a brightness fix.
I already proved the brightness level was not the DVD's problem; it was the same in theaters. The only brighter versions are in the music videos and art books. No brightness enhancement. I guarantee it.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:13 am

Master Raven wrote:I'm looking very forward to the FUNimation dub.

Webuild's impending butchery at the hands of Chris Sabat is close at hand...
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Count A'ight
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Count A'ight » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:28 am

I'm hoping that this time around, we'll get a decent dub cast... one in which the characters actually have normal human voices, rather than the cartoonish ones from the ADV dub.

We might also get Commentaries of Non-Evil, which would be awesome.
If I'm pissing you off, just remember: it was Magami No ER who told me about this place, so blame him/her.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:47 am

November huh.....

Well it's nice to hear its licensed but that's so far away this announcement is kind've anticlimatic. I mean that'll be around the time we can hopefully catch a camrip of Eva 2.0.....hopefully.

Here's a question though- I figure this announcement means Funimation has the license to all four Rebuild of Evangelion films right?
Which also makes me wonder- how is MANGA doing? Could they possibly secure distribution rights to End of Evangelion? I mean I have a torrented version of EOE I watch instead of my Manga DVD because the torrented image quality is better.

Waiting for November? Well, if they pull a Blu-Ray only release like they did with the Gunbuster movies I should have a player by then.

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEARS

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:17 am

Count A'ight wrote:rather than the cartoonish ones from the ADV dub.

How are the voices in the ADV dub "cartoonish"? I'd say that most (if not all) of the characters were done rather well in the ADV dub. I'm damned sure that Funimation will make people beg ADV and MANGA to dub Rebuild (unless Chris Sabat's been fired, which I doubt).
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:46 am

Please no dub vs. sub debate. PLEASE!
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:12 pm

Vegeta 20XX wrote:
Count A'ight wrote:rather than the cartoonish ones from the ADV dub.

How are the voices in the ADV dub "cartoonish"? I'd say that most (if not all) of the characters were done rather well in the ADV dub. I'm damned sure that Funimation will make people beg ADV and MANGA to dub Rebuild (unless Chris Sabat's been fired, which I doubt).

As a dub, the English dub is FAIRLY good; the problem is its being held up to a higher standard, than say Pokemon or something.

Given that there IS an English dub of some kind....look you can "prefer" the Japanese dub, but given that there is an English dub of some form or another, they should really re-use the previous English voice cast.

Or would you rather run the risk of them picking someone new who doesn't get it at all? The horrors of "Black Hyuga" multiplied tenfold?
Who is "Codename V"?....

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:21 pm

V wrote:They should really re-use the previous English voice cast.

Or would you rather run the risk of them picking someone new who doesn't get it at all? The horrors of "Black Hyuga" multiplied tenfold?

I agree that the old cast or at least some of the main ones or at least a similar voice should be on the cast but the guy who played Hyuga in EoE did a good job.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Action_Bastard
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Action_Bastard » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:10 pm

I like Funimation, they've never really let me down. I am interested to see how they do on this.
REBUILD ≠ SERIES! GET IT THROUGH YOUR THICK F***ING SKULLS!! :fistshake:
MyAnimeList

MatrixRefugee
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MatrixRefugee » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:11 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:
V wrote:They should really re-use the previous English voice cast.

I agree that the old cast or at least some of the main ones or at least a similar voice should be on the cast but the guy who played Hyuga in EoE did a good job.

Ditto! Same goes for the guy who voiced Fuyutsuki in EoE; could be a first impression thing (since I subjected myself to EoE before I watched the series) but he carried the Vice-Commander's understated dignity better than the guy who voiced him the series.
My Anime List profile || DarkScribes page

Avatar: At least the wintry gent is smiling a bit, instead of facepalming...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:14 pm

NAveryW wrote:I already proved the brightness level was not the DVD's problem; it was the same in theaters. The only brighter versions are in the music videos and art books. No brightness enhancement. I guarantee it.

And I keep saying that I don't remember having any problems seeing detail when I watched it in the theatre.

Gendo's Papa wrote:I figure this announcement means Funimation has the license to all four Rebuild of Evangelion films right?

It only said the first film.

Hazukari
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Hazukari » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:24 pm

Wow looks like 2009 is going to be a pretty great year already!
THank you soo much funi!

also on a curious note, do you think theyll use the orginal dub cast (i just pray they get Tristan Mcavery to do Gendo's voice again)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”