A remake or a sequel?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:02 pm

We've been pretty lax about policing people with behavioral issues in this subforum lately. Rest assured that this is not acceptable behavior.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:41 pm

I just skimmed the last two pages and outside one poster who constantly posts with an aggresive tone no one really seemed to label or attack you, unitM. Saying things like "I'm not concerned how people take me" might indicate part of why the thread has gone bad.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:42 pm

All right so, I was gonna go the whole nine yards with this but I've been procrastinating too damn long so I'm just gonna throw it all out, this not going to be anywhere near as elegant as I want it to be.

Mari is Asuka, Shikinami is Asuka, and The Doll is Asuka.

Mari is Asuka's Feminine Attributes, stuff she inherits from Kyoko.

Shikinami is Asuka's Masculine atrributes, stuff she inherits from Langley.

The Doll is Asuka's damaged psyche, pretty much the shit we saw with Arael.

Gendo is the King, specifically The Mad King, aka Nebuchadnezzar. His key is what it has always been... Shinji. That key is most likely Shinji, a Shinji at the very least.

The nine coffins that contain Kaworus represent the nine MPEs.

The contracts with Lilith have been made with more that just Seele, I have the distinct impression that Mari and Shinji have too.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:25 pm

some stuff I fond on the net

SPOILER: Show
The finale of Eva will end up being [like] Devilman. That’s what the story has to be. I guess I’m doing it unconsciously. [Eva] already completely contains the “taste” of Go Nagai. I can’t wipe it away. I can no longer deny the impact of Devilman. If I were to deny it, I feel that I would end up completely overturning my own life.
I will note, though, that there is a precedent for ‘sequel theory’ that might have influenced Anno. Go Nagai’s Violence Jack was revealed in its final chapters to have been a sequel to Devilman. In Violence Jack, it turns out that, after its destruction, the world was recreated by the fallen angel Ryo Asuka for the sake of trying to resurrect Akira Fudo, whom he had fallen in love with. However, the recreation was not entirely successful.
Without question, Anno is familiar with Violence Jack (according to the Japanese wikipedia, in Schizo, Anno mentions the Slum King as one source of inspiration for the design of the Evangelions). In addition, some Eva fans have noted parallels between Ryo Asuka and Kaworu Nagisa (including Halicat and Synapsid on EGF). Kaworu’s appearances in NME especially seem reminiscent of both Ryo Asuka and the storyline of Violence Jack.

Seem to be more of reboot /sequel. These things happened more often then people know. Toho does every 30 years whit Godzilla. G1985 was sequal to the first G movie that ignore the movie that was made from raids again and TOMG. Halloween H20 was sequel to the second movie ignoring the ones in between them. Evil Dead 2 was a reboot/ sequel.

For all we know soryu made be dead. She was killed on the battle filed when Shinji refuse to help her while the mind part of her died when Shinji strangle her. Which mean that was shikinami who wash up on the beach. Or soryu mind is trap inside Unit 2 like her mom's mind was in NGE seeing how shikinami act like someone or something is inside Unit 2. [/code]
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:36 pm

That pretty interesting. Where is that info from? I hope it ends up being a sequel. The whole idea of rebuild being remake isn't very exciting to me. Never felt like Evangelion needed to be "retold". It's like retelling cowboy bebop or some other classic thing. Just unnecessary. I don't feel like Eva needed a sequel either but at least if it's a sequel it means something might be very different in the end compared to the original.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

nostalgic_beer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby nostalgic_beer » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:12 am

I don't have the canonical script, only an old fansub of EoE that in my humble opinion is a bit intriguing about this crazy "sequel" theory since you can think about some "sequel hints" if you analyze the script below (specially out of EoE context, think about what is said in this snippet and what really represents in the whole Evangelion universe if you really believe it's a sequel).

The transcript below is before "you're disgusting".

Reality exists in a place unknown, and dreams exist within reality.
And truth lies in your heart.
The contents of a person's heart shapes their appearance.
And new images will change their hearts and their forms.
The power of imagination is the ability to create your own future,
and the power to create your own flow of time.
But if people don't act of their own free will,
then nothing will change at all.
So, you must regain your own lost form by your own volition.
Even if it means your words become lost...
or confused with the words of others.
Anyone can return to human form...
as long as they are able to imagine themselves within their own heart.
Don't worry.
All living creatures have the power to be brought back to life...
and the will to go on living.
Anywhere can be paradise, as long as you have the will to live.
After all, you are alive,
so you will always have the chance to be happy.
As long as the Sun, the Moon, and the Earth exist,
everything will be alright.

If you can create your own flow of time, who knows what 3.0 really is, or how many times it really happened.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:00 am

Does anyone want to help with a sequel theory I'm working on? Is anyone else still interested in sequel theory enough to want to help? I really just need help forming the essay.

PM if you are interested in helping.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:22 pm

Sooo....I wanted to read something informative about it all but 40 pages is a bit much.
I don't really care about sequel and loop tags, I just can't help to notice lines referencing nge episodes or even something from the movies. I don't really need to look at stuff like what Yui says at the end of eoe because as far as physical matter goes we get references. It's just this is pretty overwhelming and I'd have to check everything and what changes in the characters (Asuka above them all) playing the same scenes. It's a lot for one person. Maybe tomorrow I'll watch the most boring rebuild movie, the first one, and have something to start and give more details to the analysis section. I'll likely find out things you guys already have tho:l

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:49 am

^
I'd just watch the third one to be honest, if any one of them is a sequel to the original story it's that one.

And if the time loop actually exists, I don't think it works the way people think it works.

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:05 am

No you'd have to watch them all. I mean yeah Q is post 3rd Impact but Ha has all these Asuka issues coming out of nowhere like intentionally getting in Shinji futon and getting called Asuka like that.
Of course Q has all those Kaworu lines and evas with what I assume is the S2 stuff from Ha's "true evangelion"...but it's not a starting point.
Don't know if I'll get to actually watch anything today tho.

I'm not sticking to sequel/loop/etc tags because those are different shades of the same "rebuild" thing, I don't really think someone like mari will explain anything unless through some meta and even then this is a literal physical rebuild with physical elements from the whole franchise. So yeah. We need bigger nerds than me. Like I never touched novels and mangas and death n rebirth and I'm very late to the party.

Also yeah Q has that one scene with Shinji and fuyu talking about destroying and building back the world, call it an indoctrination for Shinji but it's the scene which makes the rebuilding a central theme for the whole series.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:01 am

You should start with 2.22. Nothing different happens in 1.11 except the final scene (and a conversation between Shinji and Misato).
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:05 am

Last time i saw it, there was a more than just the final scene that was different
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:09 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Last time i saw it, there was a more than just the final scene that was different

Like?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:11 am

This
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Differences_between_Rebuild_of_Evangelion_1.0_and_Original_Series
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:14 am

Haven't checked the thread answers but what about things like the ship on the road and the giant figure drawn on the land? Wasn't there some red sea?

edit Oooh ok:0

I never tried Doritos.
Last edited by unz on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:16 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:This
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Differences_between_Rebuild_of_Evangelion_1.0_and_Original_Series

I was aware of this link but i didn't want to post a ready list. As i said except the two things i mentioned nothing else major happens in the plot except if you care about the different line colors of the EVAs.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:19 am

What about the brief scene in which Gendo mentions to Fuyutski that he will push Shinji and Rei closer to help forward his scenario? (Fuyutski is playing shogi in this scene also)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:44 am

View Original PostDima wrote:I was aware of this link but i didn't want to post a ready list. As i said except the two things i mentioned nothing else major happens in the plot except if you care about the different line colors of the EVAs.

Not true, actually. The bit with falling lights in the beginning might not seem like much, but it's actually a pretty big deal (and an indicator that Yui is not the soul of Unit 01, as she was in the original). The "contract with Lilith" business is likewise completely new, and presumably significant. There are a bunch of other differences as well, as noted in the link Arcadia's legacy provided. Saying "Nothing different happens in 1.11 except the final scene" is simply not correct.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:47 am

And before anyone says "but we were told she's in 01 in Q" remember, in NGE her soul was in the core, in NTE, she became the "control system" whatever that means

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:50 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Not true, actually. The bit with falling lights in the beginning might not seem like much, but it's actually a pretty big deal (and an indicator that Yui is not the soul of Unit 01, as she was in the original). The "contract with Lilith" business is likewise completely new, and presumably significant. There are a bunch of other differences as well, as noted in the link Arcadia's legacy provided. Saying "Nothing different happens in 1.11 except the final scene" is simply not correct.

Nothing different in a major way. I don't agree the bit with the falling lights is a big deal at all and the contract with Lilith can turn out to be something minor (considering they never mentioned it since then).
The other differences that are on the link you talk about, 80% of it is about the design of the Angels and EVAs.
Last edited by Dima on Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”