A remake or a sequel?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:28 pm

Stop omnislashing!

:rulez: wrote:E2c. Omnislashing: "Omnislashing" involves replying in the form of long, verbose, multi-segmented posts filled with multiple quotations and line-by-line, point-by-point replies. Even if omnislashing is civil and on-topic, it is a major eyesore and makes casual readers struggle to follow the conversation. Please keep your replies short and to the point, quote in paragraphs or sections rather than individual lines or points, and try not to exceed three quotes per post to keep things readable. Excessive omnislashing will invite moderator action.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:12 am

I still find the sensitivity of this forum towards trying to deal with all aspects of an argument when that seems justified to be quite puzzling. In the present conversation it is creating no difficulty in following what is going on at all; and the aesthetic objection is arguable. A better cause for objection would be the simple repetition of the same arguments over and over again.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Time traveling or universe hopping Kaworu is too bland. There is only one Kaworu who exists as a superposition of all possible Kaworus. We can only see one tiny slice of him at a time.

Well, a pan-dimensional Quantum!Kaworu is interesting too! ^_^
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

qu4d
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby qu4d » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:10 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Continuing to use Lost, a show noted for its utter lack of planning or direction, as a point of reference isn't very compelling. Most anime isn't that disorganized, and this is particularly true of Eva. Anno has changed his mind about the show's direction in the past, but he doesn't make shit up out of whole cloth to anywhere near the extent the creators of Lost did, and he doesn't have a track record of lying to his crew or the public as the creators of Lost do. Assuming he did (or even that that's a likely possibility) without some indication that that's the case is both unfair and misleading.

LOST had more stuff planned than most other shows ever had. Sure, some things didn't work out that well and some things had to be changed due to TPTB... but claiming that they made up shit as they went along is pure nonsense and if people would pay attention, they would notice.

Breaking Bad was quite the opposite. Vince Gilligan happily admitted that they had no idea, what the M60 from episode 5x01 was going to be used for. The character of uncle Jack didn't even exist by this point. So fucking what? Nobody cares.

That's hypocrisy and nothing else.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:34 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I still find the sensitivity of this forum towards trying to deal with all aspects of an argument when that seems justified to be quite puzzling. In the present conversation it is creating no difficulty in following what is going on at all; and the aesthetic objection is arguable. A better cause for objection would be the simple repetition of the same arguments over and over again.

I tend to agree on both counts. I think I'll bow out of this mess unless/until something new shows up.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:50 pm

The problem with omnislashing is multifaceted. Replying in this form tends to point people towards nitpicky tangent arguments about minutia rather than sticking to the topic. Writing so many sections seems to invite a more dismissive tone or pointless wastes like "see above" stated repeatedly. Composing your thoughts in this manner also tends toward setting up multiple separate arguments with different posters, which often leads to arguments about people rather than about their ideas. Such in-depth arguments also more frequently become entrenched, heated affairs producing far more drama than insight. Finally, it just makes posts rather ugly to sort through if you haven't been following it from the beginning which dissuades others from joining in.

Omnislashing has a history on this forum of being a problem and leading to larger problems, so we try to nip it in the bud. I've been guilty of it myself in the past, though I try to make an effort to curtail it when a discussion is leading that way. I find it helpful to shift gears by summing up my understanding of the disagreement and addressing only the largest areas of interest in turn rather than continuing to hammer away in all directions simultaneously.

[s:18d5pwuf]For now I think it's time for this thread to take a break for a few days and for everyone involved to cool off.[/s:18d5pwuf]
Now, let's try that again.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:59 am

I've decided to go with the sequel theory. It just makes too much sense. From the characters acting different to the blood stain on the moon there's just too many things that scream "NGE/EOE happened in this universe." Even the things that have in universe explanations still seem to be visual hints.
View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Hmmm... the first is the GeoFront, the second is outside Tokyo-3. And the footprint is probably :sachi_blink: <this guy.
Still it could be a visual reference. It might not be the same footprint but it could still be a way of saying the EOE fight once happened.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:13 am

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote:I've decided to go with the sequel theory. It just makes too much sense.

No, it doesn't. The visual callbacks are there for thematic resonance and as Easter eggs for viewers who saw the original show, and are demonstrably not evidence of a sequel. The only unexplained element to date is Kaworu's cryptic lines, and they point toward an ENT-specific loop more than anything else (though even that approach has some serious problems).

This has all been addressed many, many times in this very thread. At this point the theory is dead, and we're left with puzzling out which parts of the story repeat, and how, and why, and what that means. We're also stuck with a few diehards who stick their fingers in their ears and scream "la la la I can't hear you sequel is totally true!" Such is life.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:31 am

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote: Still it could be a visual reference. It might not be the same footprint but it could still be a way of saying the EOE fight once happened.

It's definitively not the same footprint : the EoE fight happened in the Geofront, the footprint in 1.0 was on the surface.
That footprint was simply left by EVA-01 when it charged Shamshel.
Last edited by ElMariachi on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:40 am

No, it doesn't. The visual callbacks are there for thematic resonance and as Easter eggs for viewers who saw the original show, and are demonstrably not evidence of a sequel. The only unexplained element to date is Kaworu's cryptic lines, and they point toward an ENT-specific loop more than anything else (though even that approach has some serious problems).
Still there seems to be a little too many call backs. If it were one or two things, yeah you could brush them off as easter eggs. But they're fairly frequent . Merge this with Kaworu's line and the characters acting differently and all things point to it being a continuation. Also as far as I know nothings actually been said on the whole sequel thing so saying those things are just easter eggs is just as much speculation.
It's definitively not the same footprint : the EoE fight happened in the Geofront, the foot print in 1.0 was on the surface.
As I said, it's not the same print but it could still be a visual call back implying the Asuka fight once happened. Think of it as reverse forshadowing.
Chuckman#695701 wrote:Don't you understand? The best way to shelter children from the mind-warping horror that is a pair of perky teen tits is to blindfold them with guts.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:44 am

Now try to view it from the perspective of someone who has not seen the original series. What, other than Kaworu's cryptic remarks, would make it even occur to you as a possibility that this is a sequel?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:48 am

The (possible) hints that it's a sequel probably do count on one already seeing NGE. Which would make sense if it were a sequel given that you usually watch the first entry in something before you watch it's sequel.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:52 am

Personally I prefer the Occam's Razor method : all the hints got an explanation, except Kaworu's lines which could also hints at a NTE-contained time loop.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:56 am

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote:Which would make sense if it were a sequel given that you usually watch the first entry in something before you watch it's sequel.

But what we've been told elsewhere, in hints, about the vision for Rebuild suggests that such is not the intention - this was to be a somewhat more accessible story for those who don't know the series.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:58 am

I think they through that out the window after the first one. We saw the original series and we still don't know what the hell is going on.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ringworm128
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Ringworm128 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:59 am

It can still be a self contained series for newcomers while still being a continuation of NGE.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:00 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I think they threw that out the window after the first one.

Hence my "was" to be. None the less, if there was a change in attitude after the first film, it still doesn't seem convincing to retcon the first into being part of a sequel.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:18 am

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote:Still there seems to be a little too many call backs. If it were one or two things, yeah you could brush them off as easter eggs. But they're fairly frequent . Merge this with Kaworu's line and the characters acting differently and all things point to it being a continuation.

No, they don't. The characters are "acting differently" because it's a different continuity; if you view the movies as their own thing they aren't "acting differently" at all. And, as noted, the Easter eggs have all been explained, in detail, using official sources. There is simply nothing to work with here apart from Kaworu's line, and that has many plausible meanings that do not in any way necessitate ENT's being a sequel (or even a loop).

Also as far as I know nothings actually been said on the whole sequel thing so saying those things are just easter eggs is just as much speculation. As I said, it's not the same print but it could still be a visual call back implying the Asuka fight once happened. Think of it as reverse forshadowing.

If it's not the same footprint, if the blood stain doesn't match up, if all the actual evidence does not match what we see in NGE, it is not evidence in support of ENT being a sequel. Visual callbacks alone are not evidence. They have to match what's seen in the other show to qualify, and they don't. No evidence, dead theory.

View Original PostRingworm128 wrote:It can still be a self contained series for newcomers while still being a continuation of NGE.

But there's no reason to do that, particularly when Anno and others have said outright that it's not a sequel.

All available evidence indicates the ENT can not be a sequel without resorting to painfully contorted storytelling and turning the crew of Khara into a pack of liars. We have no reason to suspect either of these things is a possibility, so give it up already.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:35 am

I personally think that NTE is a prequel to Space Battleship Yamato, chronicalizing the events that occurred prior to launching that thing out into space.

I mean, the references within the NTE series are all plain and obvious to see, right? Who’s to say it’s not in light of this strong evidence?

Or is it simply because Anno likes putting certain things in certain films her makes....

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:31 am

NTE is the sequel to the

SPOILER: Show
BIBLE...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”